Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncrfe
Jan 17, 2002
This is probably the right place to ask this:

Hello,

I've been researching '95-'99 M3's for over a year now, and I think I've come across a good deal. I've learned quite a bit about the mechanicals from these forums, but I wanted a second opinion on a car that I'm looking at.

The car is a '98 M3, ~150k on it. PO says that RSMs have been done, cooling system and RTABs before he bought it (4 years ago). The car was a lease car in TX to begin with, and is now in Colorado.

The price is $1500-$3000 lower than the $8500-$10000 it should be, here's why:

Spoiler has slight scratch (one spot, down to plastic)
Rock chips next to kidneys (common?)
Front seats basically destroyed (outer bolsters taped together), but back seats perfect
Headliner coming down
Occasionally the OBC reports low coolant / brake light circuit (neither are the case)
Passenger door keyed and touched up

Now, all that stuff together adds up to the discount, and I'm willing to work to fix the issues that bother me. I'd have to drive over 600 miles (EDIT: This is the closest M I've found in a year of looking) to pick the car up, and I'm planning on getting a PPI. I mainly need a second opinion on whether or not I'm letting my M3 lust get ahead of me -- however, I'm not averse to working on the car, as long as it's in good mechanical condition.

I can provide pictures, but I think that I described it pretty well.

Thank you for your time.

Edit:

Pictures!

The good:
The Carfax from when he bought it

The Blackstone report from when he bought it

The (not so) perpetually saggy glovebox.

The front end

The rear end

The right side

The left side

The ugly:

The spoiler

The bumper

The keyed passenger door

The driver's seat

The passenger seat

Am I crazy?

uncrfe fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncrfe
Jan 17, 2002

Xenoid posted:

I probably wouldn't bother unless you're okay with/want to fix the bumper/spoiler/door. I would assume you plan to source 2 new Vaders which are not cheap by any means. Mileage is very high too...

The looks aren't a huge deal to me (it doesnt actually look that bad, aside from the seats / headliner), but I'm worried about the mileage / whether or not he's being honest on the mechanicals. Should I even bother with a PPI, or just call it off?

uncrfe
Jan 17, 2002

Xenoid posted:

Is there proof of the repairs being done?

Good point. He says he has all records on it. I'll see if I can get scans of the receipts or something. (Thanks for the help -- this is the first time I've gone on a search for a car for this long, and had to look at one this far away).

uncrfe
Jan 17, 2002

Lowclock posted:

At least on e34's, you can calibrate that mpg readout using a test mode on the OBC.
There's a similar mode on the e36's (see test 20):
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/obc.html