Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
DASC's aren't sold anymore. You can only find them used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Well, no dice. The E30 I went to look at was a HOOPTY. Homemade sheet metal fan shroud, trashed front bumper from an idiot tow, leaking antifreeze, leaking power steering, and it literally had a chunk of 2x4 with a hole drilled in it for a shift knob.

The guy was standing firm at 1500 cash and I walked. The thing was sitting under a pecan tree for six months and he couldn't even be bothered to wash it - it looked AWFUL.

Typical "trashed by a high school kid" car. The search continues...

I gotta be honest with ya, I lold at the shift knob. You should have taken pics!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ynotony posted:

So my key cylinder stopped working on my e36 325i last night. The car is stuck in the "On" position but the key moves freely from position "Off" to position "Start". The car stays on and the steering wheel unlocked even when the key is completely out. Luckily I can push start the car, and disconnect the battery go back to "on" mode when I reconnect. It appears to be a $500-$700 dealer fix, which hurts, but someone in this random thread seems to have a solution:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458275

Any reason not to try? It's not a very well documented problem/solution. Should I just bite the bullet? Can a key cylinder/tumbler replacement be done by an indie shop or is it strictly a dealer thing (like most key related stuff)?

Are you sure it's really toast? Mine has been half working for a while. Try twisting the steering wheel a bit and pushing the key in a bit harder. I've found for whatever reason that my car seems to care which side of the key is oriented when I make it work.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Mine never got stuck in the on position, it will spin and not engage the steering lock unless I push in really hard while turning gently/jostling the key.

I could shoot a quick video and email it to you if you want.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 2, 2009

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You want carb cleaner, not brake cleaner.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That stock diff is a 315, and youll probably want to swap it back unless you mind being stuffed into a comically uncompetitive SCCA autocross class ( _SP).

That 338 should fetch a much better price on the market, 600-700 versus 300 for the 315.

Vaders should go for 400-700 depending on condition and features.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Nope no ratio changes allowed in ST_ classes. No backdating either.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
E36 coil packs aren't too failure prone but will die after long enough. They aren't too pricey either.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yes it should spin, it's a ball joint. You need to look at the end of the bolt and see that it is keyed for a Allen/hex key to hold it while you tighten the nut.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the only z3-based car worth buying is a m coupe/roadster. If you're going to suffer from subframe failures you might as well enjoy tremendous tire shredding power if you're going to get stuck with a chassis that has a rear subframe that will tear out and cost thousands.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
IMO those wheels are huge, obnoxious and tasteless, but that's just me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

Question for E30 owners:

What is the correct part number for the sealing washer on the oil pan drain plug? According to my bentley it's 01-11-9-963-130, but according to realoem it's 07-11-9-963-151 (see 325iX oil pan or 325i oil pan). Pelican parts seems to agree with realoem, so what the hell is my bentley on about? The number they give points to an aluminum gasket used in the engine block, so I'm assuming realoem shows the correct one.

If realoem and pelican agree go with that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EvilMoFo posted:

my 2000 528i just had a couple coils fail, with cyl 3 and 5 misfiring ... it shakes so violently

apparently 177.5k miles/9.5 years is the lifespan of them :geno:

for shits and giggles, I called the bmw dealership and they quoted me 95 each
I am thinking I am going to get a full set from pelican parts for 55 a pop

I've got two brand new ones I'll send to you for 85 shipped.

On a different note, I sold my 96 328i yesterday evening...still hasn't sunk in quite yet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Prime candidate for a Fan Delete Mod.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That e28 and it's annoying owner can both go die in a fire.

Never seen so much forum drama follow a particular poster (outside of SA).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sounds like the disa problem is fairly common, I suggest searching e46fanatics for a diy procedure.

Part numbers can be found on realoem.com and I buy my parts from rmeuropean.com or pelican parts if RM doesn't carry it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You want lemforder control arms and tie rods. M3 control arm bushings are a nice and not too harsh of an upgrade and they tend to last longer than the non m ones do.

No you can't use a grease gun to grease the rtabs. Did you switch to poly?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I highly doubt any of the nikasil engines haven't been replaced by now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've bled my former e36 several times with a motive power bleeder--you definitely need to pump the brakes and you don't need the car on to do it.

If you are hard up for quality fluid try using ATE super blue/gold it's a bit more available.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Do NOT buy anything from Bavarian recycling. Terrible rep, check bimmerforums.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pissingintowind posted:

A bad O2 sensor should throw a code, or even make the car shake at times. Check for codes? I'd guess spark plugs.

Not always true. O2 sensors are wear items and can operate poorly without throwing a CEL.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Bleh.

gently caress that car and it's loving irritating postwhore owner.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Slightly better throttle response, frees up some room in front of the engine, no exploding fan to worry about and no overheating problems.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wolrah posted:

I have an electric fan, what exactly would a full delete gain me aside from needing to watch my temps when I'm leaving Cleveland? I think the AT models might have engine-driven fans, but honestly who the gently caress cares about performance and drives an AT 3 series?

What? All BMWs have mechanical and electric fans. The fan delete mod removes the mechanical fan and replaces the fan switch and thermostat for ones that will tell the car to turn the fan on earlier. Add some diesel water wetter and you're good to go.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Brock Landers posted:

E46 cars with the manual transmission do not have a mechanical fan.

Oh, well my comment stands for e30's and e36's then.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Bad-yeti, check the 5-lug subforum over at r3vlimited.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Strip that poo poo off! It's painted underneath. Castrol superclean go go go.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What's wrong with it? Are you in need of assistance? </Farva>

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Brock Landers posted:

I finally got around to replacing the motor mounts in my 318iS yesterday. They didn't look too bad (no cracks and no leaks) but I'd been having some back and forth type shaking at low speeds (at certain RPMs) so I figured I'd see if new mounts helped. The verdict? Like a new car! I couldn't detect any of the back and forth shaking (first signs are good, but I'll need to test it in stop and go traffic) but replacing the mounts cut the noise and vibration to the cabin by at least half! It idles quietly and what I thought was an exhaust rattle disappeared. Easy job to do and well worth the effort on an older car with lots of miles.

Did you go with aftermarket replacements or e28 or oem?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You knowingly let it run in the red for almost 5 minutes? Are you loving retarded?

Especially just sitting at a light...turn the drat car off at least.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kenshin posted:

Excellent, thanks. I am set on a soft top because being in the North West I can't count on weather to not change from beautiful and sunny to rainy on any given day so removable hardtop isn't good enough, so 325/328 it is.

I'm absolutely not going to get an automatic. I hate automatic.
EDIT: oh christ I just realized that car I linked is an automatic.

EDIT2: oh god why are 3/4 of the ones on CL automatics?

Check Portland craigslist for a black 96 328 conv...it's owned by a guy on the nw region of bimmerforums selling it and it's a solid car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DevCore posted:

So after doing some research, I think I found a much better deal:

1999 BMW M3 Coupe for 15 with 68k. Sure it might be a little more than the last, but it's got a lot more balls and about 10k less miles.
If that's still not a good deal, there are tons of 3Series Ci's for $10-14,000 with newer models and or less miles.

Needless to say, I won't be picking up the CarMAX 323i.

Price seems pretty high. 12-13.5k seems a bit more appropriate.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
E36 diffs cannot be dropped into E46's.

As a personal question, on my E30 318iS, I'm getting a lot of inside wear on my driver's side rear tire. The suspension is non-adjustable so I'm not sure how it could be mis-aligned, but could a tired suspension lead to accelerated and uneven wear? Or maybe trailing arm bushings?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Brock Landers posted:

MAPP gas can be found for about $10 a canister at Home Depot. It uses the same Burnzomatic torch heads that propane does.

Not to nitpick, but mapp torches can use both mapp and propane. Propane torches cannot use mapp. Obviosly the propane only torch is cheaper.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You have been liberally applying p'blaster to everything, right?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kenshin posted:

Ok, so I just got an awesome new job at Amazon.com and start in two weeks.

How does this car look:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1247270405.html

It's got 170k miles but looks beautiful... how many more miles would I expect it to last reliably? Or should I look for something with fewer miles on it? It's a 1995 325iC with a 1999 M3 body.

I'd keep looking due to branded title. Owner posts on bimmerforums as NiTrOuSoXiDe. Seems like a nice guy but haven't met him (local).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
91 318iS

Based on the photo, any guesses what exactly is the source of this leak?

I replaced all the injector o-rings and the the two short hoses back in February when I removed the intake manifold to fix the 'hose mess'.

Any guesses what's causing this leak? There's a pool of gas just to the right of injector #3.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
91 318iS

I had a leaky fuel rail, a friend hooked me up with a spare one and that seems to have resolved the leak @ the rail, but now it's pissing fuel like no tomorrow at the inlet to the fuel filter. The filter is 5 months old and I replaced the hose going into it (new clamps too) and its still pissing gas.

Any thoughts? Fuel pressure regulator bad?

I'm getting way too good at removing these PITA intake manifolds.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I really really really wanted to drive a 335d at the Drive for the Cure this year but they didn't show up. I'd love to see how they drive compared to a 328i/335i.

Is there a 135d in the states?

no 135d here in the us. I'm pretty sure they offer a 120d and 123d.

And you can't get a 335d here with a proper gearbox :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That e36 looks loving awful.