Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrChips posted:

I'm always amazed at just how little insurance you Americans can actually get away with, considering how litigation happy your country is.

Like here in Canada the bare minimum policy is $500k personal liability/personal damages, and most people have $1 or 2 mil.

have you considered that the us is a garbage country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

$2500, but also I've only ever bought two cars, both from dealerships, and had a much more specific idea of what I wanted rather than just "beater that won't make me fall asleep." Both of those were also at most 10 years old rather than 33, and had no other trims they could possibly be, so I knew what I was getting going into the dealership. I wasn't sure if people could like apply for a new title or report it stolen or something with a VIN, quite a few people even cover up license plates for photos these days. My favorite was the guy that photoshopped it to say 8675309.

I haven't reached out again after my first message failed to send because somehow my app settings got screwed up. We'll see what he says. My first choice is still the '92 Legacy Turbo, partially because I know half of the stuff on that car already, but the BMW might be the second choice thanks to the cheap AW11 that I was interested in turning out to be an automatic.

E: If it does turn out to be fine (at 33 years old it's entirely possible that the tach is just a junkyard pull from a 325e), any common issues to check for around 140k miles? He said it needs an alignment, so I'd be checking for chassis damage obviously. He also mentioned it had just gotten new tie rods, but that could either mean the old ones wore out or there was an accident and the old ones got bent.

post a link to the ad

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is that a carbon door

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thats imola, nobody would put disgusting hellrot on that car

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

crutt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14v5Im-PPH0 This was before I had the exhaust made. It’s tamed down a bit now.

:sickos:

do you have a build thread? did you use a kit for the install?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
turn the front wheels the other direction next time :D

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I kind of doubt it because sub-3000 is almost definitely not achievable in a street legal EV, but maybe they'll do a swan song ICE performance car that weighs 2,999 and costs $190K

finally, the BMW M2999

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

who cares, it's fuckin mint, green with 33k miles, take off the spoiler and do a burnout.

oh yeah 328i xdrive, known for its ability to burn out

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what color is it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

I have a parking buddy at work today!

If you're driving any gen BMW after that you're driving a bloated, soulless, pile of poo poo.

I'll try to get some less lovely pictures later.

please fix your potato camera

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Reserve not met at 39K.

I think people realized they couldshould just buy an M3 at that point.

if it was brown...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

angryrobots posted:

Only if you miss the barrier

oh my god lmao

anyway my industry (aerospace) is hosed too, feels bad man

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If you want a "modern" E36 M3 then you want a 128i. I have been saying for years that the 128i is too underappreciated and will be this generations E30.

eh, gonna disagree with that one. part of the reason e30s were so good is that they sold a loving shitload of them. parts were so plentiful and cheap for a long time, they were great for cheap racecars. but now that time has passed. the 1 series just didnt sell anywhere near the number that the e30 and maybe theoretically carries the spirit, its really not the same.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
trash vehicles, cheap for a reason

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

I am shocked by this development. I'm just casually looking for a kayak/bike hauler and the price of those and even some of the first gen x5's caught my eye.

just buy a 3 series

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I thought you can't hire lawyers for speeding tickets in Oregon? are you allowed to when it's reckless driving?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's an e36 right? pretty common issue for the temp sensor, it's by the front left bumper inlet/duct.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
imagine spending that money on trackdays instead

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SlapActionJackson posted:

In what universe is the E36 a 'proper' M3 but the E46 is not?

yeah who knows about that comment

looks like a clean car, i wouldnt worry too much about the airbag light but you should def get a carfax to figure out if there's any reason that light might be on.

1998 model year probably has side impact airbags and if someone pulled the door apart to fix the window regulator they might have caused the light to go off. needs a proprietary tool to reset the light.

if i wasnt laid off and looking for work this would be a very tempting possible project:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-2008-bmw-m3-not-running/7184994284.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
no there's a specific tool for airbag(SRS) reset

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
me, someone who didn't want to buy an airbag reset tool just to sell a car

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wolrah posted:

Yeah, I'd always be wary of someone selling a car saying it "just needs X" when X would be easy to fix and costs nearly nothing.

i wasnt being ironic, i did do this very thing in 2007 because i didnt want to buy a peake tool that cost over 100 bucks just to sell a 328i. guess what, i sold it without incident!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

User Error posted:

ooh, how do you like the Knipex wrench pliers?

they are amazing

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
12k seems good imo, find a motor for 5k and do the bearings, clutch and motor mounts

really hated that I'm unemployed...I have the free time to do three work but it would be irresponsible to spend my money on it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i just flipped an Altima and bought one of these crazy bumpers that are shipped pre-painted and folded up...you leave it out in the sun after unpacking and it unfolds and then you install it. it was 230 bucks plus tax and fine for a car that i was trying to sell for 3k, might not be the best quality but maybe better than a hosed up bumper? nobody who looked at the car before buying it seemed to notice it.

mbi auto on amazon

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
already showing off the cooling system failures

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

It sucks rear end

100% front to back top to bottom

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
still desperately want an e90m3 but being unemployed sucks a whole lot

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how about a good palette cleanser? kubika flogging the gently caress out of an m4 on the ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwCIEjdzvCk

god drat look at him fly through flugplatz like it aint no thang

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

That gray actually does some work there.

:itwaspoo:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Uthor posted:

Got a specific product suggestion? My (not red) seats seem clean and supple, but I wanna keep them that way. I saw some info on revitalizing leather, but don't need to go to that extreme.

Though my car stays in a closed garage except for a food run every two weeks, so I'm not too worried about sun exposure at the moment.

im a shameless griots fan and use this stuff:

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/leather+3in1+16+ounces.do

use it on my wallet and belts every once in a while too

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mods???

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:chanpop:

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/d/entiat-1996-bmw-e36-m3-ls1-t56/7199348025.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pretty sure that's your tie rod, not a bushing. too bad you'll need another alignment after replacing it...imo that shop should have spotted it before doing the alignment

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ah, didnt realize bmw got rid of the three point control arm on the e9x models

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crunchy Black posted:

Why in the world...surely the tooling to build those godforsaken things was amoritized 30 years ago, now they...don't even double wishbone it???

e: this caused me to go look up the M2's front because I'd never bothered to and what fresh hell is this

there's nothing wrong with the design of it, obviously it worked well enough on a lot of really fast cars and eventually they moved onto a more sophisticated design that still utilized a mcpherson strut. its been 15+ years i do remember in college learning about the design of the control arm and it provided a lot of benefits out of a suspension that wasnt really ideal (mcpherson) for sportscars. i want to say it helped with braking?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

nah, the special edition gets a gray check engine light so its easier to ignore at speed

lmao

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pass the crack pipe, covid 19 edition

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/redmond-bmw-e30-325es-1986/7208278029.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/tacoma-1987-bmw-325is-25l-in-line-6/7220712969.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
m62 isn't exactly the best BMW engine but nowhere near the disaster that the top mounted turbo models are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KillHour posted:

M3/M4 configurator is up.

https://www.bmw.com/en/bmw-models/m4-coupe.html

Oddly enough, the Canadian one shows more options for colors though.

https://configure.bmw.ca/en_CA/conf...775,S07M9,S0Z0D

They better offer frozen orange in the US! :argh:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1768389

looks like poo poo OP