Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I just installed adjustable lower control arms on my E36. Holy poo poo it's stupid easy to get a differential out of a BMW.

It really is, isnt it. I swapped out the diff on my E30 this past weekend. 5 bolts plus 4 more for the driveshaft. I already had both axles off, but I suppose those bolts count too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I've got a little situation that I would like some input on.

The car: 1991 E30 318is

The symptom: After about 50 MPH, I get a mechanical sounding whine from the rear of the car, sounds like something is spinning. The pitch changes with speed, higher when going faster, lower when slower. Engine RPM has nothing to do with it, nor does the gear I am in. I have tried shifting into neutral at speed, as well as shutting off the engine. The sound remains.

What I have done: So far, I have new rear wheel bearings (both sides) and I swapped in a used 4.10 LSD that was in much better shape than my old one, ordered from diffsonline.com.

So I am kind of stuck at the moment, I am thinking about checking out the guibo flexplate thing and the center support for the driveshaft. My axles could probably use new CV joints, but I would not think those would produce the sound I am getting. I have also checked out the fuel pump, it appears to be fine and is about 8 months old, it makes a tiny bit of sound, but it is constant.

The car runs fine, its just a really annoying noise. Any thoughts?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Noeland posted:

Sounds like some noisy gear lash in the differential. You say you just swapped your LSD? Check and make sure you aren't leaking out your pumpkin and if so tighten down your diff cover add a little more fluid and a bottle of Lucas or other oil stabilizer. . That should solve the problem, otherwise there could be some serious pinion bearing or gear damage and a new ring and pinion might be in order.
If that doesn't solve it and the noise really really really bothers you, throw a banana in there (its what shady used car dealers do to sell cars with hosed up rears!)

Fake edit: Don't really throw a banana in there unless you really wanna replace all the poo poo in your pumpkin.

A banana? Wow, I had no idea.

Yea, I swapped the LSD over the weekend. Ill check the fluid levels, I filled it up before installing it (it was level, its not overfilled or anything), and have not had a chance to check it yet, it sat for most of the week because I broke a tie rod end installing some springs. drat BMW for making the tierod and swaybar nuts the same size but different thread.

Do I use just regular oil stabilizer, or is there a differential oil stabilizer?

If it is the pinion bearing, well poo poo, the reason I went with diffsonline.com rather than a private seller was to make sure I got a good one.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
That center support bearing hidden inside the tunnel, so I have not had a chance to take a look at it, but its definately something I suspected, I was not sure if it would make the noise I am getting. My flex disk has some small cracks, but otherwise seems solid.

$40 for a flex disk, $25 for a center bearing. May as well hit everything when the driveshaft is out. Not bad as far as BMW parts go *cough*$700driveshaft*cough*.

I will pick up some oil stabilizer tonight and check the LSD for leaks.

EDIT: I checked things out. No leaks, plenty of fluid. I put a tiny bit of lucas oil stabalizer in. There is a storm coming, no time to swap some of the existing fluid out.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 25, 2008

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

mungtor posted:

TractionControl posted:

Wiglaf posted:

it's not that hard to do, just drop the exhaust+shields and then pop the driveshaft loose from the guibo. the tricky part is bending the shaft down and out enough to let you pull the front half out without messing with the subframe or diff.
you'll need circlip pliers and a rubber mallet to deal with the bearing itself, maybe a gear puller if you're unlucky.

and mark the driveshaft before you pull it apart, it is balanced.

I just got the parts in the mail. I did not realize that the center support was actually a bearing, like a regular wheel bearing/ball bearing. When I replaced the driveshaft on my Nissan, the center support was just a rubber piece. I figured this was the same.

I bet that this is the solution. Hopefully I will be able to find out for sure this weekend.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Dyscrasia posted:

I've got a little situation that I would like some input on.

The car: 1991 E30 318is

The symptom: After about 50 MPH, I get a mechanical sounding whine from the rear of the car, sounds like something is spinning. The pitch changes with speed, higher when going faster, lower when slower. Engine RPM has nothing to do with it, nor does the gear I am in. I have tried shifting into neutral at speed, as well as shutting off the engine. The sound remains.

Time for an update on this....

I have installed a new center support bearing and flexplate. And in case anyone is counting, I have new rear calipers, new rear wheel bearings, and a new to me/used differential (4.10 LSD).

The noise is still here!

I am starting to really wonder about the gear oil I used. I used Redline 75w90 GL5 w/ LSD additive. Is that just the complete wrong gear oil for a BMW diff?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

snugglz posted:

Nope, that should be perfect... and you've already replaced pretty much every item I would think of. Did you check the E-brake shoes inside the rear discs? They're held on with silly little tabs on the brake backing plate that consistently break off/pull through... I can't really imagine how this would produce a "mechanical" sound, but when mine pulled through they rattled around based on axle speed, which was annoying as all hell.

Yea, I thought so too, it works perfectly in my 300zx's LSD. I contacted the guy I bought the diff from. He says that 75w90 is too thin, so I am picking up some Motul 75w140 at his suggestion. I am running out of ideas, so I figure 'why not'.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

maxallen posted:

That's great. I just ordered another part from them today ($100 on a $250 new part). I guess we'll see how it turns out.

I have ordered a couple parts from them. I have a differential sitting at home that I just ordered. Its got a 6 month warranty, so we will see how things go.

I have found that they are a little on the high side for used part pricing and slow to ship.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
When I pulled the front struts off my E30, they were completely blown.

Mine were stuck on too, I just took a torch to it and it came right out.

Sure, I burned up quite a bit of fluid from the stuts, but it was fine. Just have a fire extinguisher on hand.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

TractionControl posted:

Just put an E36 rack on my E30 because mine was pissing fluid when I turned left.

Oh my god there is a difference. Probably because my old rack was really lovely, but this is so much better. It's nice to have firm steering, with less turns lock to lock.

I think something got tangled in the SRS wires though, because something went "plunk" and now my SRS lights are blinking so I will have to take the whole thing apart again to find out what is going on there.

Oh well, the joys of owning an E30!

Ive been thinking about this, my current rack is fine, but I would like to have less turns to lock on my E30. How hard was it to do? How much did it cost? What specific rack did you end up getting?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Crustashio posted:

Idle issues

Ive got an M42 engine, but I had similar idle issues. Check out your vaccuum hoses. I had a bad one going from the fuel regulator that was cracked. It only caused a problem once it got cold out.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

harperdc posted:

also, the Bentley manual is like twice as thick as the Haynes E30 manual. Completeness rocks. Definitely worth the $50 for anybody interested in keeping an E30 running.

Take note that the E30 Bentley does not contain any info on the M42 (I noticed the m42club.com link). So us E30 318is owners need both the E30 Bentley AND the E36 Bentley.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
E30 diffs have weak input bearings. The one that came with my car was noisy. I bought a used one, which also ended up being noisy, but the seller did not honor his warranty (diffsonline.com). Then, I bought another one from bavarian auto recycling. This one made noise too!!!! But they honored their warranty, I sent my diff back to them and they rebuilt the bearings and I finally have a good one.

I guess what I am saying is be careful where you get your diff from, visual inspections will not reveal any problem, you need the diff installed and get going at least 40 mph before you can tell that there is a problem.

Ive got a 4.10 LSD, it really makes that little 4 cylinder move. I get mid 20s for gas mileage, its low 20s now though because of the cold.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 16, 2009

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Brock Landers posted:

Question about this: My 318iS has the 4.10 LSD installed with 190,000 miles on it. When I get to about 40mph, I start to hear a whine from behind me that changes slightly when I left off the gas and continues all the way until I stop. It changes in pitch with speed. Could this be the diff input bearing? If so, how long can this go until it fails and what happens when it gives out? Finally, how much did you pay for your rebuilt diff?

EDIT: It also clunks slightly when I get on and off the gas too. The bushings and other rubber support parts look good, so I don't think that's the problem.

Thats the same car as me, same diff, and about the same mileage. It also is the same noise I was talking about. The bearing is probably fine for quite a bit longer, its just noisy and annoying. Im not sure what happens when it finally breaks, the noise is just from fine groves being worn into the bearing, from what I have heard, a visual inspection will not reveal a problem even if its noisy.

I payed $500+shipping from Barvarian Auto Recycling.

Not sure about clunking though.

NOTE: I am not a differential expert by any means, I am just passing along info that I learned when dealing with the problem myself.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I had something similar in my E30, it would stall when coming to a stop. For mine, a vacuum hose connected to the fuel pressure regulator was bad, I replaced it and now Im good. Of course my car is way older.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

multiprotocol posted:

E30s are fine, but they need to be given the care and respect due an 18+ year old car. Specifically, every single bit of rubber should likely be replaced, and wear parts inspected closely.

Overall, the M20 and M42 engines were remarkably well built. Downside is that you do have to adjust valve lash yourself on the M20s, instead of relying on the hydraulic lifters in the M50 series.

That 318is linked above looks very nice. Maybe a wee bit high on the price, but depends on the area. It'll sip gas. But check for extensive rust - look under the battery tray if you can, or near rocker panels. If you don't find rust there, you've likely got a solid car.

I love my 318IS, but just one quick thing, it does not really sip gas. I get 20mpg city and have gotten as high as 27mpg for all highway driving, but I have only been able to get that high once. I always calculate my MPG when I fill up and its usually 20mpg, 22ish in the summer.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

I had no problem hitting 30mpg flogging my 318iS up the coast along the 101 last week. I got 29mpg driving 70-75 the rest of the way back.

That sounds like highway though. Does yours have a 4.10 rear end gear? Perhaps something is wrong with my car too, causing excessive fuel usage. Sounds like I have some research to do though.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Brock Landers posted:

Don't worry. If you have the 4.10 gears, you won't be "sipping" gas. That's what I have and I'll see about 27-28 highway, 20ish city. I usually average 22-23 mixed.

EDIT: I have the original window sticker and it lists mileage as 21 city, 27 highway.

Yea, that sounds in line with what I get. I thought all of the 318IS's had 4.10 LSD's, so I was confused about BraveUlysses's gas mileage.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Quick question:

Ive got a 1991 318IS w/ M42 engine.

Just the other day, I was checking my oil. I noticed that around the oil fill cap there was some oil.

Now, I know I did not spill a bunch or anything, this was definitly oil that overflowed out of the oil cap.

The cap did not seem to be on loose or anything, but I could be wrong.

This has never happened before, but both last weekend and the weekend before I went on 200 mile trips.

Other than that, everything is running in top shape. Ive got 180,000 miles on the car/engine, and it is about time for an oil change.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I hate to bring this up again, but I always thought (having been told by the dealership, BMWCCA forums, and pelicanparts.com tech forums) that even on a manual, if the transmission says ATF, to fill it with ATF.

In this month's roundel, Mike says "Please do not email tech talk asking whether to use ATF in a manual gearbox. The answer is always going to be no, no matter how many times you ask or who says otherwise."

So should I go against the giant "ATF only" sticker on the gearbox itself, and against the dealership's recommendation (they were astounded that I had put 75W90 synthetic gear oil in there when I called them last summer, like only a moron would do that).

If it says ATF, use ATF. However, Royal Purple has a gear oil for manual transmissions that take ATF. I want to say its called Syncromesh. I put that in my 91 318IS and it works great, but it is a little stiffer to shift in 0 degree and below weather.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

vivacthulhu posted:

It's got 238,xxx miles on it, but compression was even across all the cylinders and the price was right, so I figured why the hell not.

I love it. Everyone was all worried about my 318IS having 180k miles on it. But here is more proof that its no problem at all, those M42's are tanks. Definitely pick up those bilsteins with some H&R shocks. The car is a blast to drive.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Demerzel posted:

Why are so many people into the 80s and 90s BMW? I'm wondering if the E46 is worth learning to tweak. It seems like it would be since I hate the new E90s, they look like generic sedans with a BMW symbol on them to me. I do have the 2004 so it's the last one before the E90. Worth playing with?

E30's and older are the best looking BMW's (In my opinion) and they are built to be self maintained. I love working on my E30, it has access panels for everything, its easy to take apart, and its a solid peice of engineering.

And of course, above all, they are a blast to drive.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I hear E30 318iS's are great for AutoX. I would use mine, but its high mileage and I just love it too much as a DD to beat on it with AutoX.

Personally, I think having two cars is great if your doing any racing. I have my E30 for going around town and a 300ZX for AutoX or when I want to drive something faster. And of course, if one breaks down, which they inevitably will, I still have another car to drive.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I am kind of toying with the idea of getting a new (used) steering rack for my E30 318IS.

Sounds like the E36 models should work fine. Does anyone know what the ratios are? I think I have a 4 turn rack, and it sounds like the E36 is a 3 turn rack. My 300zx has a 2.4 turn rack I think, which would be awesome, but 3 turns should be fine.

How hard of a swap is this to perform? Obviously I would need an alignment afterwards.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Cool, thanks.

Looks like I want to go for the M3 rack. I read elsewhere that the Z3 rack, while closer to the ratio I want, does not cover the full range of motion.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

sliderule posted:

Keep in mind only the '95 M3 rack has the better ratio. I'm trying to find one now, too, with no luck.

Looks like your correct. 3.2 vs 3.0 is not so bad though I suppose, and anything is better than 4.0.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

sliderule posted:

The manual steering rack in the euro 323 begs to differ. :P

All I know is that its great being able to make a 90 degree corner without taking my hands off the wheel.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

KeyserSoze9999 posted:

The shifter that came on your car is an aftermarket one and it prob doesn't fit right anymore.

It might be easier to go buy a newer lower profile one, either a used one if on a budget or a new one. I have the "weighted" lower profile ZHP one on my E46 and it's great. Even if you got a regular OEM styled one it would be a vast improvement and would stay on there. Many folks have extra OEM shifters lying around, I know I have two.....a black leather one and the original wood grain one, others will too - you just need to scour places like Bimmerfest, Bimmerforums etc.

Ill just 2nd that the ZHP shift knob is great. It blows the stock shift knob for an E30 (and from the sound of it, other models too) out of the water.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Could it be a worn out suspension component?

I had "classic" warped rotor symptoms on my 300ZX, however, the problem was actual a worn out Toe arm.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Exactly what I am talking about. Busted ball joint on the drivers side caused the steering wheel to shake under braking. I am just not sure what the suspension layout for his M3 is like.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

OrangeFurious posted:

Don't get me wrong - all my cars are automatics (no other choice in those models) and I like them just fine. I think what bugs me is how many enthusiasts don't know how to drive a manual well (or don't have the practice/incentive to enjoy it). It's more nostalgia for a disappearing tech than anything else.

poo poo, I think my favorite part about driving is shifting a manual transmission. It helps to have nice shifting transmissions though, the Getrag in my E30 is wonderful to shift, as is the 5 speed in my 300zx.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Isn't there something about having to reset codes (or at least pull the battery) when you replace an item that the CEL complains about?

If not, I guess you need to begin tracing / measuring wires from the sensor to the DME.

Yep, I think you have to reset the codes. Supposedly, you hold down the accelerator for 10 seconds after the last code displays, but that has not worked for me. I would just pull the battery to be sure.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
May as well share a stupid move I made that may help out others.

Ive got a 91 318iS with an M42 engine.

I was replacing a ton of hoses under the intake manifold and had the wiring cover off.

I found an unplugged connection under the cover, so I plugged it in.

Once everything was back together, I had a tough time idling sometimes and I would have total loss of power trying to accelerate right after starting the car. Warm start, cold start, it did not matter, sometimes it would happen, sometimes not.

I finally found out that this plug is supposed to be unplugged! It is a provision for cars without catalytic converters. If you have a cat, leave it unplugged, if not, plug it in.

If its plugged in, the car gets CO readings from a "CO pentiometer", and if its unplugged, it uses the the O2 sensor.

So I guess the moral of the story is if its unplugged, check to see what its for before plugging it back in.

Although with a another car of mine, the horn did not work, and then I found a harness under the steering wheel. I plugged that back in, and my horn started working.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Sterndotstern posted:

Yep, no problem.

As for the bouncy idle, you could have a gummed up idle control valve (ICV) -- another common, if involved, DIY project (unless you have tiny hands, it requires removal of the intake manifold, which isn't HARD, per se, but definitely isn't easy). I would definitely see if cleaning the MAF helps -- idle is controlled by the engine computer and, as with most computers, bad inputs yield bad outputs.

Another option that might help is to see if you can get error codes. On an E30, you stomp on the gas pedal 5 times with the power turned on, but not the engine. I am not sure about other models. But you might get something useful out of it.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Brock Landers posted:

You can't just say this to us without pictures or some kind of story about how you did it. What gearbox did you mate it up with? Do you notice the extra weight over the front wheels?

Second,

I must hear more about this.

My 318IS has 180k on the clock, and I would like to swap a new engine in when the original dies. Its just a matter of a OEM swap or something else.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
My E30 with snow tires dominates in the snow. Manual transmission helps I am sure, but no extra weight necessary in the back. I actually have to work to get it to slide or wheel spin.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

...so my wife gets home from work, and she tells me the car is making a funny sound. I get in and drive it around the block. It sounds like a flat tire. She said she was at a stop sign and when she put the car into gear and started to roll it made a "pop" sound, and then the noise started. It gets faster in frequency the faster the car is going.

All signs point to a flat tire, but I took a look at all the tires, and I don't see any punctures. Of course it's dark out and 30 degress, so maybe that's not the most investigative diagnosis. I also have free service and a warranty, so I call them and and she'll take the car tomorrow. I hope the tires are OK and the clutch blew, because then it'd free.

Argh.

Not sure if it helps, but it was around 5 degrees outside last night and I started driving home and heard something similar to what your describing. Sounded like my driver side rear had a flat, or the wheel was on loose. I pulled into a parking lot and took a look at my tires. Everything looked good. I started driving again and everything was fine.

I am guessing that either a chunk of ice got stuck, or the parking brake was sticking a little bit.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

King-Kong posted:

I haven't noticed much related to #1, but #2 sure does happen. Last week while parking at the mall, another person pulled into the spot next to mine at almost the exact same time. Then reversed out, and moved over 1 spot. When we both got out, they said, 'too nice of a car, man, don't want to ding it!'. I didn't know what to say. Just smiled and said thanks. No one ever did that for my altima :(

Man, my E30 does not get anything like that kind of respect at work. I have had to start parking at the edge of the parking lot so I can park on the painted line without taking up two spots. Already have 4 dents from rear end in a top hat coworkers.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I have encountered the issue where my AC/Heater fan only works on 4. 0,1,2 and 3 are all off. So it sounds like I need a new blower resistor.

Now, there are two part numbers for the blower resistor for a 1991 318IS(M42) on Pelican Parts

Blower Resistor for A/C(64-11-1-468-521-M6)
and
Blower Resistor for Automatic Heater Regulator(64-11-6-912-633-M6).

My car does have A/C, so does this mean I should get the Blower Resistor for A/C? I assume there is just one Blower Resistor and it is just a matter of whether the car has A/C or not. Am I correct in this assumption?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I have Bilsteins on my E30. I love them, but if you are looking for a comfortable ride, keep looking.