Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

mafoose posted:

I wish! I have a stack of bilsteins to rebuild for a bunch of different cars.
are they really worth rebuilding? It seems like with shipping, you save like $10 or 20 per shock over new ones, presuming you pay shipping for the rebuild but find free shipping on the new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

Make sure to put the slotted trailing arm adjusters in while you're doing that job. Eccentrics are trash.

Any experience with the slotted adjusters? The subframe is bent on my E30 and I figured if I have to swap it, may as well make the new one adjustable. Seems like those might be kind of easy to knock out of alignment.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'd recommend something like the Ireland Engineering "Posi-lock" adjustable plates - http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E30-suspension-steering/adjtoekit-lock.html

I ran them on my old car and never had them move. We're looking at doing something similar on the race car.

I was thinking about this since I don't know how to weld and need a new subframe anyway.

http://store.garagistic.com/ocart/bmw-e30-parts/adjustable-e30-rear-subframe-brackets

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Dyscrasia posted:

I was thinking about this since I don't know how to weld and need a new subframe anyway.

http://store.garagistic.com/ocart/bmw-e30-parts/adjustable-e30-rear-subframe-brackets

I just bit the bullet on this subframe. They gave me a good deal on adding and installing poly subframe bushings.it uses the e36 eccentric bolts.

I've done stock bushings before and it was a huge pain in the rear end, so that's worth something to me. I'll post how it works out in a month or so when I get it installed.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Just finished my BMW's break-in period!

(yes I know I need to wash my cluster)

How is that odometer still going?

I had one fail at 200k, so I swapped with another cluster from a parts car I had. That odometer failed 15 miles later.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

I've put an unknown number of miles on at this point. I figure gently caress it now, I don't like pulling the cluster, way too tight for my hands to fit.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

My E30 was an airbag car and I had cluster removal down to about five minutes by the end there. I think my car was well over 300k judging by the mileage on the cluster and the amount of years that it was reported on carfax with the same mileage. :v:

I figure it's not polite to ask a a car it's age.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Thinking of going for a 5 series for winter driving.

I'm thinking wait for this guy to get down to 2k. He has already cut the price 400 since last weekend.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/4996561259.html

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Powershift posted:

On one hand, it has to have been well maintained to be that nice at 242k, on the other hand, that's a whole pile of miles. Just thinking of all the little parts that add up to thousands of dollars in parts, and eons in labor...

I'm hoping for something to drive for 3 or 4 months a year. Hoping it has a solid engine and good enough everything else.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I ran into that on something for the E21, really strange. Something I ran into more recently was trying to get the proper OEM radiator for the E30, apparently most of the shops selling an "OEM BMW radiator" aren't actually selling the right one. Never would have known unless someone had mentioned it.

Hoses and radiator arrived yesterday, still waiting on water pump and thermostat. Might start pulling stuff out over the weekend.

Sounds like some of the HR Springs for E30's . There is a specific part # for an m42 but the springs in the box are for the others.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

car-part.com

Is this a good place to buy junkyard parts?

Ive been getting screwed on a rear bumper for the past 4 months with Bavarian auto recycling. First one was lost in shipping. Second was broken in shipping, waiting on a 3rd. I have called them 8 times and they keep "forgetting" to ship. I'm already in for this one, but I really need a new place for junk yard parts.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Any alternative is better than Bavarian auto recycling. So worth a shot.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

T-Square posted:

Whoops, E30.

MK4, how the poo poo did you even get leverage with half of a wrench. I think I'm going to try loosening the motor mount and lifting the motor a tiny bit to try and get a swivel on there from above and a long extension.

With my m42, I hooked together a bunch of swivel socket connections and got at it from the top. I've not tried with an m20 yet.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

T-Square posted:

I've read of/heard from people that they've gotten this to work with the M20, but even with the passenger motor mount disconnected and extra clearance, it seems like the swivel is just binding up, going full bore with my trusty old beast of a Stanley isn't doing poo poo.

Well poo poo. Keep us updated. I have an m20 also and will have to do some suspension work sooner rather than later.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Anyone know the part number for an e30 speedometer wiring cable? The one that plugs into the differential. Not getting anything on realoem. Also, where does the other side plug in? My guess is under the back seat.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes, under the back seat.
BMW doesn't sell that wire specifically, you need to buy the connectors and make your own.

The connector part # for the speed sensor is 61131378416. It just clips onto the wires, so an easy swap.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
What would that itb give you on an m42 besides better throttle response? I'd figure you need a bunch of exhaust and engine work to make it worth while.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Looking for some electrical system help. I recently picked up a 1990 535i for a winter beater, it looks like poo poo, but drives fine. It has a drain on the battery, about 1.1 amps after the door control has done its thing. I was able to track it down to fuse 20 under the hood. My understanding is that this is hooked into a number of hardwired systems that otherwise bypass fuses. I've read some things about an IHKA as the common cause, but I've not been able to find anything like this on realoem. Anyone have any ideas as to what is hooked up to this portion of the electrical system? I'm finding that the wiring diagrams vary quite a bit for E34s depending on model.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

warcake posted:

http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

I used it to turn on DRL's, 3 flash indicators and beeping alarm. Also used it to delete my reoccuring ESP fault 10/10.

Does this read all of the body codes? I wanted to read my dsc error codes, Carly support told me to use the trial version and find out, implying I should buy their connector with out knowing if it works. I grabbed a 20$ cable off amazon (soldered two pins together for e46) and use an old barely running laptop with inpa. Not slick, but works fine.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
If you are replacing shocks, I'd get new mounts and spring pads while your at it. As for sourcing your own parts depends on the shop. I've had one shop say they would tack 20% onto my bill to make up for the profit lost on the parts.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Crustashio posted:

IX had a different rack setup, you can't just bolt in the e36 rack like a RWD car.

My understanding is that an e36 rack requires firewall modification for an airbag equipped e30 even if not an ix. I would love to hear otherwise.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Any ideas on an e30 differential bushing bolt? It seems like the diff bounces up and down like the bolt is too small. Could the mount be worn on the car?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

SuperDucky posted:

If you haven't personally done it or have a receipt for it, the diff mount almost assuredly needs to be done.

That could be it. My diff is a bit beat up and I just replaced the rear subframe along with bushings. It just seemed like the bolt was a little loose on the car side vs the diff mount.

At least the parts stockpile my garage has become has paid off, I've got a new bushing. Anyone replaced one without dropping the diff? I can probably get the old one out, not sure I can push the new one in though.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 20, 2016

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
I've been sitting on a rebuilt m42 head for a year now, I have not had time to do the job, other things and life get in the way.

How should I be storing it? I've had it in the house. Should I have oil in it or anything like that? Valves and springs are installed.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 19, 2016

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

geeves posted:

In your bed. You take the couch.

Done, I'll let the wife know.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Has anyone used the BMW owner reimbursement program? I'm hearing that some dealers just take care of it for free, while others bill you and you have to get a check from BMW yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Alarbus posted:

The one from the car club? It's pretty easy, you just fill out the form and mail it in, assuming you're already a BMW CCA member. I think for new members you have to buy multiple years of membership first or something. And some dealers might do that?

I think it's just a general thing. Bmw-rp.com. Its like an extended warranty for things they messed up.