Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

miklm posted:

All inclusive, 3-, 5-, 7-, Z-, X- series, 1600s, 2002s, M cars and 3.0 CSLs.

I'll take my 128i (in 6 weeks) elsewhere. :mad:

A few additions/corrections to the E (and F) list:

E82 - 1er coupe
E87 - 1er hatch (not in the us :( )
E88 - 1er convertible

E70 - X5
E71 - X6

E60 - 5er sedan
E61 - 5er touring

E63 - 6er coupe
E64 - 6er convertible

E65 - 7er short wheelbase
E66 - 7er long wheelbase
E67 - 7er protection
E68 - 7er hydrogen

E85 - Z4 roadster
E86 - Z4 coupe

E93 - 3er convertible

F01 - 7er

I can get bulletins, repair instructions, part numbers, etc... I WILL NOT look up radio codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

miklm posted:

First post slightly updated; thanks Mad Dragon for the additional E codes. I just copied the info from another site and it was obviously a few years old. Included 1-series, and MINIs as acceptable thread fodder.
E39s are up to 03, 04 was the first year of the E60s. The first X5s were 99s. 3-series tend to overlap, since the coupes and convertibles come out a year after the sedans. There are MY99 E36s and MY06 E46s.

If you want to know almost every E code ever, look here: http://tinyurl.com/7m3od It doesn't cover a lot of the newer cars, but the classics are in there.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Guinness posted:

Although, at least theoretically, the ZHP coupe should be cheaper to operate in the long run. Purchase price isn't necessarily the only cost to base a decision off of.
For starters, the ZHP won't need valve adjustments every 30,000 miles.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

maxallen posted:

Someone may be able to correct me on this, but I would think to stay away from the 1-series in the US for a while, since some of those cars that got wrecked on that freighter were 1-series.
Unless BMW has a time machine, the 128i I just ordered is safe... it hasn't been built yet. ;)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Since this is the BMW megathread and our BMW-snobbery can come to the forefront, BMW uses Steptronic. Tiptronic is for VAGs and Porsches. It's kind of like the whole TFR clip/magazine thing.

krysmopompas posted:

It looks like I've been bit on the rear end by the "Stick rests at 5th when cold" problem. I thought it was just worn tranny mounts, but some more research confirmed that it's quite a bit worse.

Has anyone else had to deal with this yet? Doing the labor myself isn't really an option either :(
I've worked on a few Z3s with that problem. It's a pain in the rear end.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Moruitelda posted:

I'm tire shopping for the new MINI right now, and am a little confused. Right now I have 225/45/17s on the stock alloys, but TireRack.com is telling me the stock tires should be 205/45/17s. Should those tires be interchangeable on the stock wheels? If so, I'll probably go with 225s again anyway for the extra stability in AutoX, but it seems like there are some better prices in 205s, so I might consider them as well, as long as they should fit.
I'm pretty sure the stock tires are 205s.

edit: they are

195/55 R 16 87V
6½J x 16 EH2

205/45 R 17 84V
7J x 17 EH2

205/40 R 18 82W
7J x 18 EH2

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 6, 2008

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

CPO is better than no warranty at all, which is exactly what you'll get from a private seller. You'll also get better financing rates with a CPO car, versus some shitheap off the carmax lot or craigslist.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

How much work is it to replace the brake pads on an 2001 e46? The brake pad indicator lights on my dashboard lit up the other day and I'd prefer to do the work in-house rather than taking it to a service center (they quoted me $550 for complete brake replacement including rotors and sensor)
You definitely need to replace the sensor(s), and I highly recommend replacing the rotors. BMW rotors shouldn't be machined.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Cush Bowl posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the M1

http://eurocarblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/05/bmwm1.jpg

That's a photoshopped Audi R8 ;)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

missed_again posted:

Anyone have an opinion on buying a used 2003 Z4 roadster? How's the maintenance on them? Things to watch out for? I'm a young guy, so buying a "reasonable" car isn't exactly a necessity, but i'd rather not buy a car that's gonna rape my wallet every time i take it in for oil changes/basic maintenance.
Find one with a manual top. The automatic top isn't unreliable, but it is expensive and a royal pain in the rear end to fix.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Nait Sirhc posted:

That's a 645 :D

(look at the wheels)
I noticed the tailpipes first.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Pimpsolo posted:

deastealership
LOL $$$tealer$$$hip. It never gets old. :rolleyes:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Is there any reason the Z4 is so polarizing? My '93 E36 has just about had it and I'm looking at used Z4's for my next car. I figure I might as well get a two seater convertible while I'm still young enough to get away with being so proactively inconsiderate, and the Z4 looks nice to me. Of the few people I've discussed it with, about half said they thought it was "ugly, gay, etc." while the other half thought it was "awesome, hot, etc." Come to think of it, I used to really dislike them in still photos. Seeing one in person though is a different story.

On a side note, have any tall people had long term experience with a Z4? At 6'4 will I have any problems with it?
My only advice when buying a Z4 is to find one with a manual top. The hydraulic tops really don't fail a lot, but they're extremely expensive when they do. Besides, the car is small enough that it doesn't take a lot of effort to put the top down.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

wolrah posted:

...reliable BMWs have 6 cylinders.
I guess there are a lot of reliable 850s out there. :v:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

brae posted:

I'm having a hard time talking myself out of getting it and getting a 328 instead. It was an incredible car to test drive.
The N52 in the x28 cars is fast. It's not the monster the N54 is, but it's more than adequate. That, and you won't have to worry about denied warranty claims if you modify it, because there aren't any mods available.:v:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Well also over the weekend I replaced both belts on my E36. I wanted to replace the water pump / thermostat / various other cooling system thingies (all preventative) but I couldn't get the mechanical fan off. I have the big wrench but not the tool to hold the fan clutch. I tried using a 10mm wrench but the one I had wasn't long enough. Oh well, another $40, another special tool I suppose.
Hit the end of the wrench with a hammer (straight on, like a chisel), while turning it. Remember, the fan is reverse-threaded.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Yes, I was turning it righty-tighty and it wouldnt come off. I tried a number of tricks, though not the chisel thing, wouldnt that potentially damage it?
Damage what? The water pump that you're replacing? :v:

I didn't mean hit it with a chisel; hit the end of the 32mm wrench... although we've used air chisels with long shanks to pound off stubborn fans. It'll gently caress up the fan, but it doesn't matter if it's getting replaced. It's best if you have a purpose-made fan wrench. I use this at work:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 6, 2008

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Craptacular posted:

I'm thinking about getting a used '06 330i or '07 328i. Are there any potential problems that I should be looking out for?
Bridgestone Turanzas are lovely tires. Other than that, I don't see a lot of E90s with serious problems. There's going to be a recall for passenger seat occupancy mats on some cars, but I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker. If you're not getting a CPO (you really should), find one with less than 50k on the odometer. It'll still be under warranty.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Nait Sirhc posted:

STAY AWAY FROM THE X3. It has had many, many problems...
Like what? Panoramic sunroofs and seat occupancy mats don't count, because those problems aren't limited to X3s.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Lufiron posted:

Its the X5s you want to watch out for, but even then they're not too bad either.
Pre-2004 definitely, especially the 4.4i. Fortunately, all the expensive poo poo (labor-wise) on the M62 lasts a long time before it goes bad.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Arwox posted:

So you think the part where your foot rests just has the plastic on it, and its catching glare?

That makes sense.
That's exactly what it looks like. Even if it was damaged, the dead pedal can be replaced separately.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Pimpsolo posted:

Nope. 318ti uses the semi-trailing arm rear suspension from the e30...
Z3s use the same rear end.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

How many of the people bitching about brand dilution this and bloated feature-laden that have actually driven a newer BMW?

Sigma X posted:

Which would tend to indicate that the 318 is susceptible.
The 318ti doesn't have 330 hp like the Z3 M.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 28, 2008

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

There's been complaints from both Roundel and Grassroots Motorsports that the 1's handling is slightly inferior to the 3's. Does anyone have some comparative anecdotal evidence? Even if it were lighter, I wouldn't accept it as a succesor to the old line of 3s if it were dynamically inferior. And it's only 300 lbs lighter, right?
I don't see how the handling can be inferior, considering the E82 has the same suspension setup as the E90. The 135 and ZSP 128s have 20mm wider track in the rear, but that won't make handling worse.

Pissingintowind posted:

People have seats in their trunk?

It's an E36, and I stripped the driver's seat right rear bolt hole on the floor.
Now the bolt won't go all the way in and the seat wobbles.
Sounds like you crossthreaded it. Better invest in a good metric tap set or beat it in with an impact gun (only if you plan on never taking it out again).

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 29, 2008

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Lufiron posted:

Also, if anyone is looking at buying a new 3-series this year, don't. Wait for the facelifted 09s to come out first. Especially if you want navigation.
Yeah. We watched the August roundtable today. Holy poo poo, the new CIC is loving awesome. Everyone who ever bitched about iDrive and factory nav will shut their mouths.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

It looks like a factory amp, but I can't tell with that abortion of a wiring job blocking the view of the connectors.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

maxallen posted:

The gently caress... I just walked out to my car, someone stole the passenger side kidney grill. Nothing else. It wasn't smashed or anything like that, it was pulled off the bodywork. I'm not sure, but it may not have even been violently taken. I'm so confused.
I've seen the grilles get so bad on E38s that they just fall off. I'm not doubting your story, but anything's possible.

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

How does a fuel pump crack like that? I have never seen anything like it before.
Considering the car's almost 20 years old, if it's the original pump it's way past its prime. Running the tank down to "E" a lot could stress the pump.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 18, 2008

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Friendly reminder: Replace your cabin filter folks!
They're supposed to be replaced at least every 15k with the oil.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I noticed the wife's Mini's exhaust was hanging kind of low, and wasn't supported AT ALL all the way up to the front of the car.

Looks like the bracket that goes around the muffler is broken.

Jesus. I've seen better looking exhausts on 13-year old E34s.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Arwox posted:

Anyone have any idea why my air conditioning smells like sweaty gym clothes sometimes?
Do you run it on recirc all the time? Do you have rubber floormats? The recirc inlet is in the passenger footwell. Water on the floormats gets introduced into the system and forms mold inside the airbox.

If you have an older car, it could just be due for a cleaning. There are several products - from spray cans to fog machines - that you can use to deodorize or disinfect the system.

Changing the microfilter never hurts, either. It should be replaced at least every 15k miles, or more frequently if you live in a dusty/high-pollen area.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Homie S posted:

What else can cause the ECU to trigger a CEL regarding the O2 sensor?
Depending on the year and engine, there are several O2 sensor faults that are caused by DME software. A bad DME could be the problem, too.

Air leaks can also cause "O2 sensor" faults, due to exceeding fuel trim limits. Check your intake boot for cracks. If you can find someone with a smoke machine, they are invaluable when it comes to finding air leaks.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Xenoid posted:

Dealership is called stealership for a reason. They will charge you for labour even if they do nothing to the car. Keep that in mind.
Yeah MAAAAN. $$$TEALER$$$HIP.

Dealerships are businesses, not charities. If I'm giving away free diagnosis time, guess how much money I'm making?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Xenoid posted:

Go read threads where people take the car in for an alignment, then the dealer says X and Y and Z are broken (even if the car was just checked out by your mechanic and it's all fine) and then doesn't do the alignment and charges you $155 for labour anyways.

And gently caress off.
Yes, because tech x at dealership y is a crook, all techs are crooks.

Why don't YOU gently caress off? I bet my dad can beat up your dad.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Xenoid posted:

...when I do things myself I know that they're done perfectly so there is no "falling back" on anything.
Famous last words. I can't tell you how many DIY gently caress-ups we've fixed at work because the owner thought he knew what he was doing.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Do yourself a favor and just replace all 3 if you have to replace any one of them.

That's the problem with the coolant system. You replace the part that's leaking, and the leak moves somewhere else or some other problem pops up. At work, we will usually write the car up for the pump, the t-stat, and the upper and lower hoses. If it overheated without cooking the engine - the radiator, temp sensor, and reservoir/level sensor/cap, too.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We always have cooling system parts in stock at the dealership. ;)

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Jovial Cow posted:

Hey guys I have a question for you. My brother bought a used '01 330i two springs ago. Last winter however the battery died 3 or 4 times over the course of the winter. Last winter I told him I bet there was something wrong with his battery, but according to my brother he went and asked the guys at the BMW dealership near here and they said BMW's have trouble keeping a charge in the cold, and there wouldn't be much use in getting a new battery. I thought this was very silly but my brother just shrugged it off. However the battery has died again yesterday and it only started getting cold two or three weeks ago up here in CT. Do you guys have issues with your battery during the winter, or does my brother have a hosed up battery like I suspect.
How old is the battery? If it's the original, its lifetime ended a long time ago.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Your dad is lazy. Tell him to adjust the pressures.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ynotony posted:

The new one will have the twin turbo I6 with over 300 horsepower, so power shouldn't be an issue.
Rumor mill says the single variable-vane turbo engine's going in the new Z4. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

You'll love the V12 until you have to do any maintenance out of warranty. 5 hours labor for spark plugs? Thanks, but no.