Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I bought this back in December but I just got around to taking pictures of it.

It's a 1985 325e with the M20B27 engine. It isn't very fast but holy god it's fun to drive! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jonontherun posted:

I've got what might be a stupid question. I'm doing an auto to manual conversion right now in my e30 (1986 325e). I was wondering if someone with a manual e30 could take some pictures of the brake fluid reservoir and how it feeds the primary clutch cylinder? Drop me a pm if you would prefer to email them rather than post them.

I'm saving up everything to post one big project thread later one, but I've already replaced all the brakes, the starter, the flywheel, and I'm getting ready to mount the clutch. I'm missing the bolts to attach the basket to the flywheel however, so this is stalling me right now.

Future plans include replacing the cooling system, painting the car, and putting on some lowering springs.

Have you gotten this yet? I can run downstairs and take a picture, let me know!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jonontherun posted:

Not yet, if you could I will e-love you forever!

click for bigger

Honestly, I'm not quite sure exactly where you want detail so I just took a bunch of pictures until my battery died. If you can point out on this one where you want a better pic, I'll see if I have it. If it involved getting underneath the car, it'll have to wait until Sunday...

edit:
here's another

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 10, 2008

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My 325e has eibach springs which I'll be changing out to H&R Sports in a few weeks, the bilstein shock I'm keeping though. My Blizzaks will be replaced by Hankook RS2's next week after (hopefully) our last snow fall. I have a MarkD chip that's going in this weekend as soon as I can run my gas down far enough to fill it with 91 octane.

Further down the line I will be supercharging the M20, but that will be in a few years and I don't plan on doing anything else with the motor until then just because nothing else seems worthwhile, but I am putting on a new exhaust this summer along with new swaybars (22/19 front/rear) when I can justify the $400. I also have a Z3 shifter that I'll be putting on to shorten the shifts a bit.

Most of the money I've spent on the car has been maintenance related, but that is changing!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jonontherun posted:

Awesome! Thanks very much!!

I was hoping to also see the end where the line runs into the primary clutch cylinder. I can totally wait until the weekend. Is that just a rubber line that runs down from the reservoir? If I can avoid bending up some tubing that would be great.

As for the mods question, my e36 M3 is totally stock, but I do have a different set of wheels for autocross. Theyre Kosei K1s and this year will be shod in Bridgestone RE01Rs. The e30 is going to be mostly stock for now, with lowering springs and shocks as the first mod. Following that I was considering doing the whole megasquirt thing but that is down the road.

As far as I can tell (it was pretty dark in my garage), it is a rubber hose that runs from the reservoir to the cylinder. I'll try to remember to look at it this weekend.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jonontherun posted:

Awesome! Thanks very much!!

I was hoping to also see the end where the line runs into the primary clutch cylinder. I can totally wait until the weekend. Is that just a rubber line that runs down from the reservoir? If I can avoid bending up some tubing that would be great.

As for the mods question, my e36 M3 is totally stock, but I do have a different set of wheels for autocross. Theyre Kosei K1s and this year will be shod in Bridgestone RE01Rs. The e30 is going to be mostly stock for now, with lowering springs and shocks as the first mod. Following that I was considering doing the whole megasquirt thing but that is down the road.

I was underneath my car today to try to figure out why my car dumps the contents of my power steering system every time I drive the loving car and I took some pictures of everything I was able to. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you tomorrow.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
May as well ask here too...

I'm looking for a steering rack for an E30 (particularly my '85 325e) in or near Minneapolis. I'm tired of my rack leaking all over the place and I can't afford to have my car out of service for the time it would take to pull the rack, rebuild it, then reinstall. I need a rack that either is in good shape or can be rebuild with a set of new seals. I can't afford to spend much right now, I'm looking at spending ~$50 or so, if that's possible.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

TractionControl posted:

Your best bet is to find a junkyard one. I know used ones are absurdly expensive. MY MECHANIC happened to have 2 E30 parts cars and that's whee I got my nearly new rack from.

Good luck, I know how much a bitch it is to have it spewing everywhere. I had to refill my PS fluid every day it was getting so bad.

I figured it would come down to this :(

Yeah, I have to refill my PS fluid every morning and my supply is almost out...

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

harperdc posted:

I know there's another rack (or two) from later models that fit on the E30...because they're suggested for performance reasons to reduce the rather stupid 4 turns lock-to-lock to something more bearable for autocross or track use. I think it's the Z3 and maybe the E36, but I can't remember for certain. I'm considering it eventually, and I bring it up only as an option, really.

I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion! I like having more options :)

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

harperdc posted:

here's what I was thinking about - an E36 rack and everything for ~$600. But it takes the E30 from 4.0 to 2.7 turns lock-to-lock :aaa:

Way too expensive for me right now :(

mungtor posted:

When the rack seals died on my 325is I just cut the belt to the pump and drove it without power steering. I don't think that belt drives anything else (or didn't on my '87 that I remember). Drove it for 25k miles with zero problems.

That's exactly what I did this past weekend but with the driving that I do, I really need power steering (lots of parking ramps with really tight turns...)

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Oh come on, man the hell up. (Have you tried contacting Vines or looking on eBay for a used rack?)

Yeah, but I was hoping I could find one locally. I'm going to a junkyard on Monday to pull one from a 318i.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Swap_File posted:

UPullRParts had a few E30s, but I think they all got recently crushed. Check their online inventory to see the new stuff they are getting in:

http://www.upullrparts.com/

The prices are awesome, but the cars do get picked over pretty fast. I grabbed a few nice leather pieces off the 92 750il that is at the northern yard.

Heh, I was just at the Rosemount location on Sunday but it was too rusty for me to remove with the tools I had. I know the East Bethel one has an E30 but I was talking with someone on a different forum who claimed to have taken the rack from that one...

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Having a problem with my 325e:

When the car is cold it runs just fine for the first block or two then it starts to bog at about 2500rpm and I slowly lose speed. The only way to get power is to lift off the gas pedal and push it in again and it "catches" at a particular point at lets me accelerate but I need to keep doing that until the car warms up, then it drives just fine. It will rev all the way to the limiter with the clutch in, but not while it's in gear. I also smell gasoline as I'm driving, but that's been the case for the past couple weeks.

This problem didn't come up until Tuesday when I tried to replace my o2 sensor (couldn't get it out...) but I did replace the tranny mounts.

From some E30 forums I posted on, I've been hearing anything from o2 sensor, dirty injectors, coolant temp sensor, fuel filter...

Any other ideas before I order parts this afternoon?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It's a 1987 325e 5 speed. How does the car drive w/o power steering? He said it's better & more responsive, but I wanted you guys' opinions. What do you think I should offer him, maybe a grand a see where he goes from there?

I have an '85 325e without power steering and it's perfectly fine as long as you aren't trying to move the wheel while stationary. Parking lots can be a little bit of a pain, but it's really no big deal.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Pimpsolo posted:

Oh man, I have this exact same problem. I bought the car like this so I didn't know it was abnormal. It's been really easy for me to live with (I just keep it above 2,500 until it warms up heh,) but it'd be nice to fix it. When you find out the solution, please tell me.

Oddly enough, I unplugged the o2 sensor and it's been running perfectly since then. I'm going to plug it back in today if I leave the house just to see if that really is my problem.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Can anybody with access to TIS get instructions on rebuilding the steering rack in my '85 325e? One of the other forums has the german TIS info but I'm tired of trying to translate every word.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Can anybody with access to TIS get instructions on rebuilding the steering rack in my '85 325e? One of the other forums has the german TIS info but I'm tired of trying to translate every word.

Anybody? I can't even find a :filez: of it in english :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

I just wanted to let everyone know that http://rmeuropean.com is a fantastic place to get BMW parts. Free shipping for $65+, the more you spend, the faster it is ($400+ is overnight free).

Their prices for all OEM equipment are the lowest I could find on the web.

I use autohausaz.com and usually ends up being cheaper but only by a few bucks (on a $200 order...)

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I did my first valve adjustment on my 325e today! I got to the 5th cylinder and realized that I had been making the adjustments with reference to rocker touching the cam, and not the eccentric touching the valve. I started over and didn't need to make any corrections but it was definitely worth my time to double check.

I did break a hose though, the one the connects to the top of the valve cover. Anybody know what it's called so I can order a new one this week?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Now why the hell didn't I see that picture?

Thanks, that's the one!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I posted a thread about putting keyless entry in my E30. A problem I'm having now is that I have all the wires hooked up but now my horn doesn't work. When I hooked up the wire to the horn circuit and plugged the battery back in, it honked briefly then turned off. Now it doesn't work at all! I have removed the wire I spliced into the horn switch wire but it still doesn't work.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Did you check the fuses?

Yep, fuses are all fine.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm replacing the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat on my E30 today for the first time! I've never done anything quite like this before but holy Jesus this is easy. It's time consuming but it's so much easier than I was expecting. I also bought new eccentrics for the rockers so I can stop adjusting those every two weeks...

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I just finished getting my car back together after replacing the timing belt and water pump and adjusting the valves. I put the spark plugs back in hooked everything back up and started adding the new coolant and it's loving leaking from the loving goddamn water pump. Looks like I'll be busy for the rest of the day taking everything apart again :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Like I said earlier, I just replaced the timing belt/water pump on my M20 engine, but the belt loving squeals like MAD until I get the revs up a bit then it's quiet for the rest of the trip. I'm not 100% sure that this is the timing belt making the noise or the water pump/alternator belt. Is this common with new timing belts? Do they need to be broken in?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mr. Toast posted:

I'm not sure if this is bad form are not, so please tell, but I am parting out a '95 M3 if anyone needs anything. Vaders are gone but most of the stuff is still there, plus some AA goodies. I'd love to see a goon plop my S50 in an E30

poo poo

I would love to throw that into my E30, but it's my DD and I can't afford to have it on blocks for 3 weeks :emo:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
If I pull the diff sensor on my E30, will the fluid spill out?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Swap_File posted:

Probably not.

As you can see, the sensor is way above the fill hole.

(Drain hole on bottom, Fill hole in the middle, sensor upper right)

You are exactly correct! I just wanted to make sure I didn't start anything I couldn't finish (no diff fluid laying around today...)

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm trying to replace the control arms on my E30 and Jesus Christ this sucks! I have everything out except the inner ball joint bolt, which just doesn't want to budge. I've soaked it in PB Blaster, I've torched the poo poo out of it, and I've laid into it with sockets/extensions/ujoints and a breaker bar and the goddamn thing won't budge :(

I have so much else I want to do with my car over the next couple days but now I just want to make sure this gets done by Wednesday!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
7 loving hours later and the control arm is off :woop:

Huge pain in the rear end, and now I get to do it on the other side :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm trying to replace the control arms on my E30 and Jesus Christ this sucks! I have everything out except the inner ball joint bolt, which just doesn't want to budge. I've soaked it in PB Blaster, I've torched the poo poo out of it, and I've laid into it with sockets/extensions/ujoints and a breaker bar and the goddamn thing won't budge :(

I have so much else I want to do with my car over the next couple days but now I just want to make sure this gets done by Wednesday!

Yesterday I managed to finish both control arms (with M3 bushings), new parking brake shoes, new H&R sport springs, and bled the brakes. One minor "issue"...the pedal feels different... I bled the brakes a couple months ago and there was no difference in pedal feel from before, now there is a difference as the pedal needs to be pushed further in to get braking power. It just feels like there is less pressure in the lines, or something. As far as I can tell it is not leaking brake fluid anywhere.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
After putting in new control arms last weekend, my new sway bars showed up yesterday (that I installed today) and on my way home from some spirited driving to get the feel for the new handling, I pop a tierod :(

The nut is just barely holding on and I had no choice but to drive the 4 blocks to my house, with a nasty grinding coming from the front wheel the whole time. I have some used tie-rods that are connected to a spare steering rack that I'm going to try putting in tomorrow, at lesat to hold me over until I can get my hands on some new tie rods...gently caress :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

After putting in new control arms last weekend, my new sway bars showed up yesterday (that I installed today) and on my way home from some spirited driving to get the feel for the new handling, I pop a tierod :(

The nut is just barely holding on and I had no choice but to drive the 4 blocks to my house, with a nasty grinding coming from the front wheel the whole time. I have some used tie-rods that are connected to a spare steering rack that I'm going to try putting in tomorrow, at lesat to hold me over until I can get my hands on some new tie rods...gently caress :(

I've been thoroughly beaten :(

After all I put into this car last weekend, I just don't have the energy to do it again now. My car is up on stands with one completely shot tie rod, and a steering rack 3/4 of the way out of the car. Thankfully I don't need this until wednesday morning for work but it still sucks. I just can't get the old tie rod off from the rack...

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
^^^ I love it :)

I just woke up from a nap and seriously the second I woke up I thought "why the gently caress don't I just use a dremel to grind off the locking plates?"

Now I just need to find my dremel!

Thanks for the guide Doctor, I saw the E36 swap one on that site but missed that one.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Edit: Figured it out :woop:

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 5, 2008

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

havelock posted:

When my friend bought his about 6-8 months ago he got $14k off MSRP.

It's incredible! I test drove one last summer and without even asking they knocked off $10k instantly...

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm struggling with getting the oxygen sensor out on my E30. It's a single pipe all the way back and the sensor is right on the top of it. I have enough room to get the slotted socket on it, but not enough room to get a ratchet on it. I've tried taking a wrench to it, but it keeps sliding off or rounds the corners. I've soaked it in PB Blaster but the fucker just won't budge. Tips?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I used an open ended wrench and a Big loving Hammer to knock it loose.

Alternatively if that doesn't work, maybe give this a try.

Welp, I needed a reason to buy more tools from them...

Thanks

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

So somehow I managed to strip the thread from the hole for the seat fastening bolt. What do I do? :smithicide:

Not sure what you car has but is it the one in the floor or the trunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

People have seats in their trunk?

It's an E36, and I stripped the driver's seat right rear bolt hole on the floor.
Now the bolt won't go all the way in and the seat wobbles.

Oops, nevermind. I read that as the seat belt bolt.