Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
I don't own a BMW, but there is a used-car dealership near me that specializes in locating hard to find BMWs (http://www.enthusiastauto.com/). I think it's fun browsing through their inventory, checking out the E30 M3s and the E34 M5 Tourings they always seem to have.

As an F1 fan, I also thought it was great how BMW kept Sauber in their name after buying the team. Classy move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Do the E36 and E46 inline sixes require premium gas? I'm looking to get rid of my Evo for something more comfortable that also gets better mileage, and also runs on regular if possible.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Xenoid posted:

If that is going to make a difference to you, you probably shouldn't own a car.

Sweet. Thanks for the input on how I should spend my money.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Evo 8 that I'm ready to get rid of for something more grown up. I have my eye on an E36 M3 sedan or an E46 330i, hopefully with a ZHP package. There is a local dealer here that specializes in used BMWs (http://www.enthusiastauto.com/), so fortunately, I've been able to drive both models. I'm wondering about the comparison between the two on a maintenance front.

I'm well aware of what will need to be addressed with a 70,000 mile M3, but would a 45,000 mile E46 have fewer issues, or just the same issues farther out? Also, will older M-taxed parts still be more expensive than E46 parts? Am I completely off it for considering getting rid of a 2005 car for a 1998? The dealership typically has complete service histories on every car they sell, so I'd at least know what I'm getting into.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Nait Sirhc posted:

You won't enjoy it as much as an E46 330i, especially if you are looking for the "grown-up luxury car with a relaxing ride" feeling. The 330i is a much better car for daily driving, IMO, and is just a tad slower than the E36 M3.

Thanks to you and Sterndotstern for your viewpoints. I'm not looking for a couch-like Buick, but definitely something that still has sporting intentions. Unfortunately my Evo spends 99% of its time commuting and 1% of its time autocrossing, so maybe going for the better daily driver is the wise decision. Our family is also expanding, so I'm sure I'll be able to use the bigger back seat and trunk.

One more question though: does the cooling system on an E46 definitely need replacement between 60k-100k like on the E36?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Could someone give me an E46 price check? There's a used car dealer near me with a 2004 330xi 6 speed with the premium package, maintenance history, and 70k miles for $15.9k. This place specializes in clean BMWs, so I know they're expecting a premium, but KBB, NADA, Edmunds, and eBay all say the price is as much as 4 grand high. Is this car worth that much?