Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

transient
Apr 7, 2005
Thinking about picking up a 2012 f30 328 today. I've searched through the thread and didn't find too much discussion on them and a lot of mixed opinions online.

I loved my 89, and didn't notice a lot of the complaints I've seen during my test drives. $36k asking, 8,500 miles, manual, lots of options.

I guess just hoping to hear any pros/cons/opinions I may have missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

transient
Apr 7, 2005
I did a bad thing. My girlfriend's kids came to visit for the summer and her son now wants a BMW for a first car and he thinks he's found the one. Still, my first BMW was an E30 that developed a ghost electrical problem that I (and everyone else) was unable to solve and cost a ridiculous amount of money. Still bought my F30 (I know) as soon as I had a real paycheck.

Hoping you guys can identify the model from the pictures so I can give a little input (unlikely to be listened to) but his mom wants to help. His dad is a mechanic though of the Texas "No Foreign Cars" variety and should be great about anything not bmw-specific and hopefully look at learning as something he can do with his son (also a huge piece of poo poo but maybe not relevant to this request).

Anyway for comments/feedback:

transient
Apr 7, 2005
Hoping this is the right place. Could be more general advice, but it's a BMW so...

2012 328i (F30). 72k miles, manual transmission. It's paid off (original owner) and has a brand new clutch (wtf) and is out of warranty. I did have the timing chain replaced due to the recall. Had some issues on a road trip and is now sitting at a BMW dealership. They're recommending a new engine. Dead cylinder, pushing out air. New engine is 7100 plus tax.

My concern: New clutch and engine conveniently one year out of warranty. I'd planned to drive this for another 4-5 years. Trade-in is ~10,500. I put a lot of Bay Area commute miles on it.

The rep is all about me keeping it due to the new engine, clutch and the fact that it's manual. His view is that it's otherwise really well maintained. I'm worried this is the beginning of me pouring money into it that could be better spent elsewhere.

Advice? Obviously this isn't my forte or I wouldn't be here, but can try to answer any follow-up questions.