Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Picked this up on Saturday:

:rock: 95' M3 with 110k miles on it. I got it for $8k and overall it seems in decent shape. It's completely stock and I love it. Unfortunately today as I started driving it I noticed that under moderate to hard braking the brakes pulsate a bit. I guess thats a warped rotor? not really sure.

I'm so torn between keeping it stock and just maintaining it or delving into modding it a bit. Who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Picked up this 1990 325ix recently:

Click here for the full 1833x1218 image.

Click here for the full 1833x1218 image.

It has meticulous records, brand new everything in the past 5,000 miles (suspension, cooling system, timing belt, hoses, complete brake overhaul, etc) from a BMW dealership. Mint interior, 5spd.

I love it so much, but I still miss my e36 m3...

Leo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 27, 2009

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

CornHolio posted:

How much did you pay for it?

$4k

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

I wonder why bmw decided to go with 205/55 r15 for the stock tire size on the e30 325ix when LITERALLY NO ONE MAKES A SNOW TIRE THAT SIZE. :argh:

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

havelock posted:

Apparently BMW has decided to release a faster, better z4 called, you guessed it, the 3.5is. Wait, what?

They had to go with the dumb name or everyone would give them poo poo for going back on their 'no z4m' promise.

sDrive35is

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/12/embargo-12-12-09-6pm-est-detroit-preview-bmw-to-unveil-faster/

the only interesting thing about this car is it's electronic parking brake.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Minimaul posted:

I've been searching around and haven't come up with a definition, although it's mostly self-explanatory. In regards to the e36 M3 Sedan, why is it sometimes referenced to as "m3/4/5"? I'm assuming, m3 / 4 door / but what's the 5?

5 speed

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

I just picked up a 1972 2002 for free. It has sat in a heated garage for more than 20 years and it's in really good shape in terms of having almost no rust and such. It ended up sitting because it was hit on the front passenger fender and the PO put a new hood/fender/and the related suspension parts on it and basically left it. It needs paint but what I'm most concerned about is the shock tower/frame...

From my measurements the tower-tower distance is about 25mm/~an inch less than it should be (996mm total). The distortion is pretty limited to that area and all of the other frame measurements check out fine. I haven't been able to drive it yet to test how it tracks since I'd have to replace the brakes, but is this as serious as I think it is? It seems like it's probably beyond what an adjustable camber plate/bending the strut housing or something could correct, but I don't really know a whole lot about suspension geometry and such.

For reference:

Click here for the full 735x1024 image.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

This is the best thing I've seen all month. I'm so happy that iX's are finally getting some love-- definitely one of the most underrated BMWs.

(58k miles) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110504013269#ht_1043wt_1167

Time to print this out for insurance purposes :)

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

stump posted:

Well I went to look the E46 320d I'd posted earlier and it seems to be in great condition.... apart from the service history.

18062: Inspection 1 (BMW)
35664: Inspection 1 (BMW)
61170: Oil Service (BMW)
92179: Inspection 2 (Private)
30k between services, unless they happen to not have been marked in.
:derp::derp:

Other than this I'm buying it, but this is making me nervous.

I would probably pass on that if only because I doubt that turbo has much life left in it after 100k miles and 30k oil changes. It's not a particularly stout turbo as it is, especially the ones before 2004.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Muffinpox posted:

I went to see the free 2002tii. I was met with this.

I don't understand why people think storing a car on top of a tarp is a good idea. It looks they used a tarp as a car cover as well. :ughh:

But yeah, that car is a substantial, substantial amount of work. I'd just part it out. The engine alone is worth ~$600 (I just sold a complete tii engine with a similar history for $800).

It's really not worth it though.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Bought at noon, drove up to the reservoir tonight (nice long twisty 1.5 width). I love my car. :3

Silver iX buddies! I love this car.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Fun M-tax story: my M4 hasn't been driven in a while and the battery completely discharged. BMW wants $2,400 to replace it, and the best part, they have no visibility on ever getting a replacement battery. They said it could be a month or more. :thumbsup:

e: Has anyone had success contacting BMWNA about something like this?

Leo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 9, 2021

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what do you think BMW NA is gonna do about it

I have no idea, but it's crazy to me that the li-po battery is dead after one discharge and there's no replacement available from BMW.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Alarbus posted:

I'm astounded it's $2400, did it damage anything on discharge or attempt to recharge? Also the inability to find any replacement battery is a bit bizarre.

Holy poo poo, the EAS sale page for the aftermarket battery does state that the OEM one is $1800! Uh, maybe just go aftermarket? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809127

Oh wow, thank you for this. Sounds like this might be the way to go...

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Update: I told them I'm taking the car back and they told me they are now suddenly going to "air freight" the only "known M3/M4 battery in existence" from Germany overnight and they took a lot off of the amount I quoted. Fun times.

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Since people enjoyed my M4 story, my relatively new X3M is also now at the dealer since about 25% of the time it won't shift from R->D or from D->P without turning the car on and off.

It's been at the dealership for two weeks and BMW USA has been involved and apparently has decided there's nothing wrong with it and it should be returned to me. The dealership knows something is wrong and is now asking for a few more days to see what they can do.

Fun times with M cars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Popete posted:

Thanks, I think they look pretty neat without taking away from the mostly stock look of the car. I bought this kit years ago so I can't remember if they had the option for opaque rings back then but I like the segmented LED look on these, this picture shows it better.

My phone camera gets washed out with the white LEDs but they too have that segmented look in person.

What brand? I need to replace the cheap aftermarket ones on my e39 M5…