Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

miklm posted:

My first exposure, 1989 E30 325i auto, bought by my ex as a daily driver, and I began to realize how awesome these cars were.

Can anyone elaborate on the difference between the e30 325i and 325is? I want a manual coupe without the diving board bumpers so I'm pretty much set on this specific car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

TractionControl posted:

limited slip differential.

Well that narrows it down.

This is going to be so difficult to find. A manual 1989-1991 325is in black or grey. I'd still go for an E21 but those are rare, probably more expensive to maintain, and cost a lot more to get them up to reasonable speeds.

Tab8715 posted:

How much are you guys spending on maintenance? I'm curious to see how much you're putting into BMWs that have got ~200k. How often are they breaking down?

EDIT: Can someone describe to me what it's like owning and driving a BMW? I'm assuming it's nothing short of incredibly loving awesome.

My 150K e46 gets driven pretty drat hard, had it for 1.5 years. I guess I'm pretty brutal with it because every time I do something ridiculous I think "okay just this once" but that once happens several times a day, every day. I go to a local mechanic about once every 6-8 months for basic maintenance and goddamn window regulators, per year its about $500-$800 depending on how many of the non-essencial broken things I feel like fixing (something will always be broken, the dashboard warning lights are a christmas tree, I've had check engine on for months but it's just a cold weather misfire).

Also I'm a total idiot so you don't have to worry about me because I'll get my license taken away soon enough. Never been stopped so far, but after the weekly 130mph run to the store, and powersliding in a midnight snowstorm down a deserted Michigan avenue in downtown Chicago, I won't last like this for long.

3363 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 28, 2008

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

hello internet posted:

I've got a '96 318is with 135K miles on it and the engine still runs like it is brand new. Still has the original clutch as well. I've recently had to put a lot of money into it on the exhaust and suspension but I can justify putting a lot of money into because it should run for a long long time.

Coming from a variety of hoopties it's always puzzling how a 150K+ BMW idles so softly that sometimes you're not even sure the drat thing is on.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

frozenphil posted:

I think I may have shattered some folks' preconceived notions about BMW drivers the other day. On my way home from work I was blasting Kalmah - Tordah with the windows down and just rocking out in general. This Cherokee pulls up next to me and I see the dude driving and his passenger are rocking out with me and motioning for me to turn it down so they can talk. They are both covered in tattoos and piercings and had a look of amazement in their eyes at the dude in khakis and a polo rocking out to metal in his BMW.

:psyduck: "Who is that?"
:cool: "Kalmah"
:psyduck: "They rock, man!"

They threw up the horns and we went on about our way navigating through traffic.

I'm typically bumpin' the old pressure torture which I'm sure is the last thing you'd expect to hear coming from a clean E46. It's just some smooth, chilled out, positive vibes for running down hobos. A quote from a former passenger of mine describes it as "WE ARE A MACHINE OF DEATH".

3363 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 1, 2008

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

quote:

However, BMW plans for the tii models to be proper performance cars in the longer run. For instance, the next-gen 1-series, dubbed F20 and due in late 2011, will offer a tii version with a downsized twin-turbo four-cylinder petrol engine and a radically lighter body and chassis, we hear.

gently caress yes, there may be something wrong with me but I find four-cylinder BMWs to be tremendously interesting. Not just the S14 either:

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster
9pm, Ikea parking lot empty, it's raining, I turn off DSC, put the Automatic into 2nd and plan to dori dori around the back. Before I know it I just did some bizarre figure 8 360 degree spin and am rolling backwards before the transmission locks up. Restart the car, all is fine, but I sure as poo poo am confused as to how anyone could drive something 300-500hp in the rain. This is on a 323i and it felt like I was a Caterham sliding on a nonstick skillet.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

wolrah posted:

It's all about familiarity and control. My guess is that you've never really done anything like that before and just pinned the gas to the floor, cranked the wheel, and hoped it just worked that way. Obviously as you've learned it does not.

If it snows in your area, next year (or if there's one more freak snowstorm) I recommend you take advantage of a local empty parking lot (extra points if the lot has no light poles to cause damage to your vehicle) and just toss it around for an hour or two until you get used to it. You can do the same in the rain, but in snow it's even more fun and causes less tire wear. I have an abandoned department store and a nearly dead mall near by, so I use those whenever I feel the need for sideways time. I can't wait until I get my summer tires, as the Blizzaks obviously don't like any kind of extremely aggressive driving.

Actually it's a strange thing because I've had more control on snow before. Doughnuts were easy and I could usually do pretty broad sideways sweeping turns, though 1/2 the time I'd take it too far and lose control. I guess like you say, I just gassed it way too much and that maybe my tires are a lot balder now than what they were a few months ago (I think I got some dry rot and deflation problems).

Or someone lubricated the Ikea parking lot, I don't know, when I've unintentionally lost the rear end in the rain before I could catch it at higher speeds. This incident though was just awkward.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

ynotony posted:

Propagating the latest tii rumor: turbo charged four cylinder engine with an 11k rpm red line for the new 3 and 1 series.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/09/rumormill-bmw-working-on-twin-turbo-four-cylinder/

That sounds so obnoxious I love it. The next generation 1, 3, and Z seem like they're going to be really interesting cars. Hopefully more of that light-weight stuff shows up in this generation too.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

Xenoid posted:

Wow I saw a loving black R8 driving around town today. At 30km/h..with an old woman behind the wheel. Sigh.

That PS reminds me of the Ford concept that was white and glass everywhere. I think Ford made it into the GT or something.

Actually that's exactly the source image, it was posted on Autoblog, it was a white Ford GT looking thing in the same hangar but mirrored.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

el topo posted:

I drove the 135i at last Sunday's BMW 1-series event in Montreal and I can honestly say that I've never been as impressed by a car as I was by that one. The handling of that car is just phenomenal. The brakes were amazing as well. Heavy acceleration out of curves is noticeably faster with the manual transmission (vs. the automatic), but for normal driving the automatic does the job really well.

The other thing BMW was keen on showing us was Active Steering which, while it works really well, is not really something I'd want -- I prefer my steering to be predictable.

Any more of these? I can't find any info on these events, this aspect of the BMW site is really confusing.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

MrChips posted:

BMW Canada was running these events across the country throughout April and May. Unfortunately, I think Montreal was the last one scheduled.

If they were still running, simply accessing the 1-Series page on their website would have taken you straight to the sign-up for the test drive event.

Oh okay, I'm getting obsessed with these. I just went to the Lexux IS-F one and I'm signed up for an Audi one in July, I just want more free track time in poo poo I can't afford.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hey guys, apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I figured that a BMW megathread would be the place to ask about a certain BMW.

I'm thinking about saving up for a Z3 Roadster. Is there anything I should know about? Are they potential lemons? Does everything fall apart after a certain point? What sort of maintenence am I looking at on one and how much would it cost?

Apologies for the dumbass questions, but I dont know much about BMWs.

I'm looking into this as well ever since I saw a fleet of Z3s with hardtops as track cars at a private circuit.

I know there's some crazy poo poo about a big chunk of the rear end falling apart but I don't really know the terms or details.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster
E46 Sedan, OBC I think

In a fit of nerd rage I broke the turn signal indicator stalk. I already got a replacement but I'm trying to figure out how to get back there, any ideas/guides/forums? I see the screws that I need to remove but it's too tight in there, do I really need to take off the whole steering wheel? I don't have the tools for that and don't want to mess with the air bag.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

Lufiron posted:

There really is no choice. if you don't have the sport wheel, it should be two T30 torx screws holding the airbag in place, with holes to access them on either side on the back. Just disconnect the battery before you do this. Then, it should be a simple connector for the airbag. Disconnect that, and the airbag can now be fully removed. It should be either a 15 or 16 mm nut holding the wheel in place. Take the wheel off, but be aware of the center position of the clock spring behind it. The purpose of the clock spring is to allow electrical connection between the steering wheel and the car, while allowing steering wheel rotation. If you lose your center position and accidently rotate it, you could damage the wiring inside. Next, there should be a plastic phillips screw on top, and maybe a couple of long plastic rivets on the bottom. Remove the plastic screw with the plastic expander clip it goes into, then push the center of the rivets on the bottom in. They should fall out. After this, pull both halves of the steering column trim apart and you should have access to whatever you need to replace. If you have to remove the clock spring, be very careful. There's a clip that holds it in the center position when you remove the steering wheel, but you can never be too safe.

Thanks a lot, this writeup goes perfect with some pictures I found. I think I'll try it tomorrow. It's stupid that I kept giving it to the mechanic when it's one of the most well documented cars online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster
Thanks a lot for the tips above, just finished putting in the new turn signal stalk. Although on the way out I broke the top off of one of the 4 screws, didn't think I had the strength to do that. It's still in tight so as long as I don't have to go in there again then it's fine.

I'm also trying to fix my front passenger window regulator but the metal wire is chewed up and bent with broken strands in places. Think it's worth it to try to align everything? It seems a little too screwed up to reuse. I probably went past the damage threshold for the ziptie method.