Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
This thing just magically appeared in my driveway, and I haven't stopped staring since.

Methinks a PNW BMW goonmeet should be in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

XCPuff posted:

How much are most of you all paying on insurance for these? I've been looking at E36 328's and every quote I get is almost 400/month? I'm 25 and have one ticket on my record from almost 3 years ago?

this 22yo single male pays $900 for 6 Mo policy with one ticket 3 years ago for my M Coupe and my G wagon (no not Mercedes, GM).

thealphabetsez posted:

PNW meet for shizzle, Merkin and I are in with good notice.

Just so long as I don't have to organize poo poo or lead anything, might I recommend a summertime (mid July time frame) day(ish) trip over the passes (Stevens and Bluett are my nominations).

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Dyscrasia posted:

I've got a little situation that I would like some input on.

The car: 1991 E30 318is

:words:

Sounds like some noisy gear lash in the differential. You say you just swapped your LSD? Check and make sure you aren't leaking out your pumpkin and if so tighten down your diff cover add a little more fluid and a bottle of Lucas or other oil stabilizer. Leak or no I still recommend adding oil stabilizer. That should solve the problem, otherwise there could be some serious pinion bearing or gear damage and a new ring and pinion might be in order.
If that doesn't solve it and the noise really really really bothers you, throw a banana in there (its what shady used car dealers do to sell cars with hosed up rears!)

Fake edit: Don't really throw a banana in there unless you really wanna replace all the poo poo in your pumpkin.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Dyscrasia posted:

Do I use just regular oil stabilizer, or is there a differential oil stabilizer?

Oil stabilizers are pretty run of the mill and any one should work fine unless it states specifically for engine oil or diff fluid. I just usually stick with Lucas because it comes in a big bottle and its compatible with both crankcase oil and diff fluid, plus it is what my engine builder recommended I use after breaking in anything.
Also, if your pumpkin was leaking, and you used a proper tightening pattern as well as proper torque on the bolts when reinstalling the cover, you may want to replace the gasket as well as use some RTV if you didn't before (but don't go overboard with the stuff). Just remember to let the RTV cure before putting fluids in.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
So I have a question (BMW-ish related).
Due to the factory camber on the rear my M-coupe, my rear tires wear extremely unevenly. I'm talking I'm starting to see the belt on the inside while the outside of the tires appear to be drat near 100%. there wouldn't happen to be a tire that has a harder interior compound and softer exterior compound, would there? If not, any recommendations on a new set of rear tires in the sub $350/pair range?

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Hammer Floyd posted:

Re-posting because I haven't had an answer yet due to people loving the (admittedly gorgeous) new 7 Series. Is there a website I can go to which has this sort of information on it?

http://www.mz3.net/ has a lot of info on what is common problems with the roadsters/coupes. So far my M coupe hasn't had any of the problems mentioned by the page save for the squeaky glove box, and its got about 135k on the ODO.

PS: I love my M coupe, and would recommend a Z3M to anyone, except for a few "bros" I've met.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Dantu posted:

What's wrong with the intake?

What he has there is the ultra-desirable hot air intake system. The old style of intake on the z3m was a box on the right front with a square (boring) filter and some ducting that would take uncomfortably cold air up from a scoop in the lower bumper.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think I have a leaky oil filter housing gasket in my E46 330i. Kind of low on funds right now, is this a job that a newb could handle? Parts look cheap, how much time should I set aside? Thanks.

A quick google search would be your friend. Its a fairly common leak. Time taken depends on you, but if you gather all your tools before and spray any dubious looking bolts the night before, it shouldn't take all day. Pelican parts has a step by step pictorial here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...Replacement.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Glow in the dark topcoat over bass boat sparkly green.