Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gjh
Apr 16, 2006
Great thread so far, figured I'd post up our two cars.

02 M3, Tourmaline Violet Metallic

02 325iT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gjh
Apr 16, 2006

thealphabetsez posted:

Well hello Tourmaline, any interest in letting this vehicle go?

I've considered it, but the offer would have to be beyond perfect. This car is a passion of mine and I know if I did sell it, I would instantly regret it. However, I never say never. I know I won't see the money I've put into the car as far as mods go, but the car is worth more to me than book value and most people aren't interested at that point.

April 02 build date
~35,000 miles
Individual factory ordered paint (1 of only 3 in the US in this color that I've been able to verify)
OEM CSL Trunk
OEM ZCP wheels
Eibach Pro-Kit springs
Borla exhaust and mid-pipe
Other minor miscellaneous tidbits.

I'm always willing to listen to a credible offer, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sell it to you. :cool:

gjh
Apr 16, 2006

Nait Sirhc posted:

That violet is absolutely stunning. I've never seen an M3 (or any e46 for that matter) in that color. How did you get it? Are there other "secret" factory colors like that?

Thanks. This particular color was offered standard on the 2002 E65/E66 7 in the US, but that was it for us that I know of. It was offered in Singapore and Australia as a standard color on non-M E46s. A few other models in Europe got it standard as well.

In the majority of countries where BMWs are sold they offer the BMW Individual Program. The big exception is that it is not officially offered in the US. As mentioned, with the right sales person and manager, and enough handshakes and winks, you can get them to try and push one through the BMW NA system. Unfortunately, that's still not a guarantee as BMW AG will more often than not kick it back as an invalid order. But every now and then, one gets through and this is how my car came to be.

I'm the third owner of the car. The original owner (who I don't know) was able to get my car ordered through BMW Of Manhattan. As with all Individual ordered cars, exterior paint runs an additional ~$2000 and interior changes the same. So over $4000 for both. My car was only exterior, I have standard gray leather.

BMW NA has recently brought a scaled down version of the Individual program to the US, but you are limited on color choice and it's only available on the 7 series. In Europe and other countries, you can pretty much order your car in any available BMW exterior and full leather interior colors. It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that it's this wide open choice that keeps BMW from allowing us to have this program in the US. Our consumer protection laws are such that we have an easier time backing out of a car deal. So if someone were to go into their local dealer, order up the worlds nastiest BMW color scheme and then back out of it, the dealer is holding the bag on a car that may only suit one or two peoples taste.

This program leads to some pretty nice looking cars... and ugly ones as well, IMHO such as Phoenix Yellow (standard E46 M3 color) on Laguna Seca Blue (individual).

gjh
Apr 16, 2006

thealphabetsez posted:

The one way to guarantee a BMW is ugly (at least to me) is blue leather. That color combo just looks, off.

The blues for me can be OK in the right shade and how it's done. You can get two tone seats done through the Individual program and that really makes it look nice. For instance these two cars have the same individual blue interior (Estoril Blue)... the first one is overkill, the second is fantasic. But maybe it's just me. :D

Silverstone Blue (individual) on Esotril

Avus Blue (individual) on Estoril two tone

gjh
Apr 16, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

It's killing me because I don't actually NEED new car but gently caress if that isn't some value for money. When they found out that I've been to the track recently they made sure to tell me the 4 year/50k mile warranty will cover that. I like to think I'm decently prepared to talk about a car, even when I don't set out that day to look at a particular car but that genuinely surprised me. The sales manager went as far as saying it's like having a pit crew, except free.

I've had a love affair with the Cayman for over a year now but I'll be the first to admit I'm a cheap bastard and the price difference is staggering. I don't think it's a stretch to say I could walk out with a loaded 2007 M Coupe that's new for less than a "base" 2006 Cayman S with a few miles on it.

The Z4M Coupe is all but dead. The few new ones that are left at the dealers is all there will be. If you have any inclination to get one, do it now. It's an awesome car and the current discounts that can be had make it even better.