Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Oh god. I have a BMW problem..

Here is the family..

and here is my '90 325iS that just got hit by a deer and is now going to be repaired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Russian Bear posted:

BMW overload. Am I right about this? M5, E30, E36, M3 - left to right?

My first car was almost a 1989 325is, owned by a mechanic who dropped an engine into it 90k miles ago; 5 speed and just a whole lot awesome(for $2500 nontheless).

Parents intervened and insurance didn't really like it(although i'm pretty sure my dad checked for FULL coverage instead of just liability...).

There are BMWs in my future though, most definetely.

Edit: TractionControl, E30s are so drat sexy, especially in red.

E90 M5, E30 325iS, E36 318ti, E46 M3.

That is pretty much my car, only mine is a 90. They are awesome. I looked for mine for 2 years. It was most definitely worth the wait, I smile every time I get in it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

RandomG posted:

it's e60 m5... e90 is the 3 series.

I'm retarded. I just test drove the E90 M3 with my uncle(who owns the M5). It was thrilling.

Symphoric posted:

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the 1-Series? Basically I'd just like some idea on how it feels to drive, since my dealership probably won't have one to test drive for months.

I didn't actually get to drive the 135i, but when I rode in it and discussed it with the driver, it felt exactly like my E30.

I got in and was like "This is just an updated E30 with a shitton more power and weighs a bit more". It seemed extremely tossable and fun as hell. Wasn't a slouch in the performance department, either.

I think it would almost be a downgrade from an E46 M3, though.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

3363 posted:

Can anyone elaborate on the difference between the e30 325i and 325is? I want a manual coupe without the diving board bumpers so I'm pretty much set on this specific car.

The iS has sport seats, bigger front lip, trunk spoiler, and a limited slip differential. I also believe it came with sportier shocks standard.

Most people break off the front lips and they get replaced with the standard i lip.

89-91 has the plastic bumpers.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Nutsngum posted:

I think the IS also has shorter gearing overall.

I'm pretty sure that is just because of the diff. As far as I am aware, and what I've heard, the gearboxes are identical. I could be wrong though.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

3363 posted:

This is going to be so difficult to find. A manual 1989-1991 325is in black or grey. I'd still go for an E21 but those are rare, probably more expensive to maintain, and cost a lot more to get them up to reasonable speeds.

It took me nearly 2 years of searching to find mine. It had 135k, some maintenance records, and was all stock. $4,800 and I had to outbid someone to get it.

Really nice ones are hard to find, but there are quite a few out there. Many need work. I put a new steering rack, clutch, and a bunch of little odds and ends on it. It has really paid off in being SUCH a nice car though.

I've probably spent close to $1k getting it back to where it needs to be since I got it, but it needed a lot of little work because it had barely been driven.

I'd say now the maintenance costs are just oil(I drive a TON), and I am buying summer wheels/tires for it.

My next maintenance things are timing belt/waterpump/thermostat/cam seals/balbahlbahbl/fixing the AC. Then I'm going to get all new suspension/bushings.

I'm saving my money.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

RandomG posted:

Heheh, I get to do it again, it's e92 m3, it's the coupe.

We drove the sedan. They had 2 coupes though.

It was really cool.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

stump posted:

I was checking the oil on my E36 ('95 M51 2.5 tds 6 cyl) today and I noticed the top radiator pipe was soft (i.e. not much pressure in the system), I turned the engine on for a minute and it stayed soft.

As far as I know the radiator pipes get hard when they get hot.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's totally normal until it comes up to temperature, and then they harden.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackBart posted:

for my own vanity... '86 325e. ready for summer cruising!

Wow, that E30 looks really clean and nice.

I'm impressed.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

milieu posted:

8. 300 lbs fiberglass body kit, fuckoff huge spoiler, and neon underglow

You can't forget the loud as gently caress and huge as gently caress exhaust if you go with 8

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I may drive a monster truck now. I just put 225/50R16 on my E30 with stock suspension. It rubs on the fronr inner fender liner and I need to roll the rear fenders.

They look huge but the difference is AMAZING. Pix soon.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It looks kind of retarded because my car isn't lowered yet, and it won't be until late summer most likely, but here they are.

I'm going to be doing the shadowline trim soon, too. I'm going black/red theme. Also my front still isn't fixed, that's next week.

I'm getting there.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I stopped by my friends shop to get my fenders rolled and to check on his 2002 project.

oh god how did that get there

Bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ06whaKZPs

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CornHolio posted:

No, at least for the E30 and E36, the 's' denoted coupe, at least here in the states. I think the coupe also came with fancy pants suspension upgrades, and different wheels and stuff.

I searched for a coupe for months before giving up and settling on a four-door, and believe me, I looked at a LOT. I came to learn very quickly the differences.

Also, I found out that the coupe and sedan of the E36 share almost no sheetmetal. There's about 1.5" more between the front door and the front wheels, and the roofline/trunkline is different. The more you know...

Usually it designated the sport model, however not all sport models came with the S designation.

1991 E30s could be fitted with all the sport model upgrades, however, none of them were "S"s as far as I am aware.

All sport models(iS) were coupes as far as I know as well.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 16, 2008

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

harperdc posted:

at least for E30s, I've seen 325e and 325i coupes. the sports were separate but yeah, there was no sport sedan. the iS had the diff, the sport seats, the sports suspension (yellow bilsteins!) and wheels, etc. Not 100% sure about the E36s. [fake edit] don't forget about the two-year 318iS coupe, either. They only made those in 90-91 IIRC and I'm pretty sure there was a 318i coupe beforehand :colbert:

Right, there are E30 coupes that aren't "S"s, but all "S" were coupes.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

two_beer_bishes posted:

May as well ask here too...

I'm looking for a steering rack for an E30 (particularly my '85 325e) in or near Minneapolis. I'm tired of my rack leaking all over the place and I can't afford to have my car out of service for the time it would take to pull the rack, rebuild it, then reinstall. I need a rack that either is in good shape or can be rebuild with a set of new seals. I can't afford to spend much right now, I'm looking at spending ~$50 or so, if that's possible.

Your best bet is to find a junkyard one. I know used ones are absurdly expensive. MY MECHANIC happened to have 2 E30 parts cars and that's whee I got my nearly new rack from.

Good luck, I know how much a bitch it is to have it spewing everywhere. I had to refill my PS fluid every day it was getting so bad.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

TractionControl posted:

My brother lives in California, I live in Iowa. His girlfriend reads this forum(APPARENTLY) and showed him that picture jokingly saying "So is this your family?" after him telling her about his families obsession with the roundel.

He responded "Yes, I shot that picture".

We were all shocked. How loving weird is that? Ben's girlfriend, stop stalking me!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CornHolio posted:

OK you guys, what looks better:

It doesn't look bad, the 2002 just looks a lot cooler. More BMW.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Are e30s safe to drive without power steering? I have a chance to buy this :rice:'d e30 for a low price. He took out the A/C (harsh), the power steering and the backseat. I know none of my friends could fit in the back, but it looks ugly.

It has some MODS such as a Magnaflow exhaust, chip and intake (it's the 325e btw). It has 14" BBS rims and an M3 wing. The black part on the front bumper is messed up, is that easy to place? There is a rust hole in the trunk to the left under the sunroof run off. A few small dents and dings. However, it has 140k and needs the timing belt & water pump combo replaced ASAP. I offered him $1,200 before he told me that, do you think it'd be worth that or less?

I'd probably try and pay less for that. What year is it?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

mungtor posted:

I'm gonna go with the driveshaft support bearing. It should be pretty cheap to replace, but you'll probably have to take the driveshaft to a shop to have the old bearing pressed off and the new one pressed on.

If he replaced the diff that is what it sounds like to me as well..

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CornHolio posted:

To be honest, both of those were automatics, and the must slower 128i. And verts, and it seemed that was the main problem they were having. OY, THE TOP IS DOWN AND IM SWEATY AND STICKY, I HATE THIS CAR!

Also, Judging by this quote

I can't really take it seriously. I mean, first of all, they maxxed it out. Second of all, they say they'd rather have a Mustang GT500. Thats like saying I'd rather have a Mustang GT than an E46 328i. Sure they're similar cars, but at the same time, vastly different.

I have never ever been impressed by The Truth About Cars.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Cush Bowl posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the M1

http://eurocarblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/05/bmwm1.jpg

Why would a mid-engined supercar have a huge front hood bulge that looks conveniently almost identical to an E92 M3's?

It's definitely a photochop of some sort.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

stump posted:

Well the E46 M3 had a pointless power bulge too, so why not?

Although the b pillar back above the beltline looks like a veyron so who knows? It looks pretty sexy anyway.

The E46 M3 has its engine in the front though. The M1 traditionally would not though, because it has its engine in the back.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

maxallen posted:

The build on that car certainly doesn't look like an MR car though. The seats are too far back, the cabin leans toward the rear, and the hood is extremely long. The front end looks like a slightly squashed version of the E9X M3 to me.

I agree. It looks like they chopped a bunch of other cars together and slapped it onto a stretched out E9x M3.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

multiprotocol posted:

I thought you had an M coupe, not a base Z3 coupe.

He replaced the M vents on the side with standard Z3 ones.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
There is a really nice looking E30 iX close to me for $1800... I'm so tempted to buy it and roll two E30s. AWD and RWD.

It's really unfortunate I can't afford it this month.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I autocrossed my E30 for the first time.

I call her the SS Bodyroll. I really need to get that suspension work done...

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

harperdc posted:

That's a great looking E30. Nice job!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Willander posted:

Is it possible to get these rims for an E30 convertible?
Or are they 5-nut only?

Where would I buy them and what would they cost?

I've only ever seen them in 5 lug.

You can always do a 5 lug swap!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

evobatman posted:

Speaking of 3.0's.. does anyone have a link to the video of the 3.0CSL that is at Laguna Seca where they are interviewing one of the guys who used to race it?

I can't find that anywhere anymore.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CornHolio posted:

Dont I feel dumb, the link I got it from said it was an M6 :mad:

But yeah, now that Im looking for it, you're right.

http://www.bobmodifiedbmw.com/bmw-m6-stronger-than-truck/

fuckers.

Am I the only one here who absolutely despises that website?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Mr. Toast posted:

Nice to see other e28 owners :)

I have a bunch of goodies to install for my '87 535i. Euro headlights + grills, e32 front brakes and e34 540i rears, e34 basketweaves, a Hartge spoiler, and a good amount of poly bushings. Hopefully I can find an iS airdamn too.

I want to see pictures of that beast.

That sounds awesome.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I just chipped my E30 with Dinan chip from the eBay seller Doctor Grape Ape reccomended. I opened up my ECU which had obviously been opened before and found out I had a Dinan Transmission Chip. On my manual 5-spd. Needless to say, it runs a lot better now, and now I have an extra Dinan chip.

Also, please make sure at least one of your door locks work when you roll the windows up after replacing your door lock "computer". I am getting a door cylinder rebuild kit this week. My passenger side and drivers side doors will lock the car, but not unlock. My trunk lock is seized totally. Oopsy.

I'm always listening to my iPod and it annoyed me that the antenna was always up. So this weekend with a little bit of time I wired in a stock switch above the radio to run the antenna.

All in all, a very productive weekend.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Holy poo poo I just fixed my door locks, which was the last thing to really fix on my car.

NOW WHAT DO I DO?!?!

Daddy Fantastic posted:

Is there any reason for me not to look into a 2000 BMW Z3 (2.3)? It's priced at $8800, which I guess is around Edmund's TMV price, but it still seems a little low for a BMW roadster?

That seems a little low for a 2000, but it is basically an E36/E30 hybrid underneath.

What about miles, records, etc?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Mr. Toast posted:

I'm not sure if this is bad form are not, so please tell, but I am parting out a '95 M3 if anyone needs anything. Vaders are gone but most of the stuff is still there, plus some AA goodies. I'd love to see a goon plop my S50 in an E30

drat, if only your S50 was like.. $200..

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think I have a problem.

Edit: I have a 24'' by 36'' poster of my own car. How awesome is that?

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 4, 2008

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CornHolio posted:

I don't suppose you have that in wallpaper-size, do you?

What size do you need and what's your email?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Sterndotstern posted:

This makes me happy.

I am relegated to my iPod touch so I can't resize them and send them for a little bit. I have another shot of the car but you can really tell the different paint on the panels because I had about 10 minutes to clean the car before the shoot thus an old coat of wax.

I also have more pictures of the EAA airshow in Oshkosh, WI. I may make a new thread about my car and the airshow. I've driven my E30 25k miles since I bought it last year.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have a dilemma.. I can get bilsteins, eibach springs & sways, and new bushings installed for $1500 on my E30. I have $1500. I'd have $600(including savings) for two weeks until I get paid again.

I can live on $600, I'm not currently paying rent. I'm being torn apart by lust for all new suspension, and financial responsibility!

**edit** and I just replaced timing belt/water pump so it's not like there are any big maintenance items I need to do first..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CornHolio posted:

I just got this month's Roundel, and noticed a familiar E30 in the letters section:

:cool:

They also chose it for the Submit Your 3, so it should be on BMWNA's website soon as well.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 8, 2008