Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Ether Frenzy posted:

can't wait to sell my E92 in 2035 with 52k miles for $2.5 million

I'm planning on an E30 retirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Wagons are good, what's the problem here?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Popete posted:

There is a guy who parks on my street with an e90 3-series with M3 badges and side markers on it.

Why?

Poor folks have poor ways

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
just lol @ you cowards who don't even have an e30 or two

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Don't forget the cooling system

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Sorry about your recirculating balls, though

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Combat Theory posted:

Whys the steering considered something negative? Always felt like one of the highlights of the car plus basically indestructible and can be readjusted

E: lowering a 7 series is a cardinal sin.

They’re not bad I just like the rack and pinion feel better. It’s the BMW thread we have to bust each others balls about something!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Someone that lives a street over from me just offered an entire Z3 2.8 rear subframe/trailing arms/diff/axles etc to drop in my 318ti. And the potentially the front spindles/brakes and a good aluminum block M52.

Guess I might keep it now!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Apparently only the 97-98 Z3s had aluminum blocks. I don't know enough about it other than I might be getting a free wrecked one soon lol!!!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

meatpimp posted:

I don't own a BMW, and it's loving glorious.

Please help me

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I put the powerflex FCABs on my E46 at the time and it was a great upgrade.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Cojawfee posted:

In practice, the middle lane is the fast lane. The right lane is the slow/merge lane. The left lane is the slow "I'm going the speed limit, literally the fastest you're allowed to go, if you try to pass me, you're the one breaking the law" idiot lane.

It really depends on where you live.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think E30s look pretty good.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
:getin:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

meatpimp posted:

bad_ideas.jpg

The ti barely runs right now LOL :suicide:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
M8 needs an I8

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My 318ti was intermittently running lovely and getting worse - cutting power while driving, ABS light intermittent, hard hot starts, running like poo poo and dying at idle, refusing to run past 4k RPM, 5k RPM and anywhere inbetween without sounding like it had anti-lag - intermittently.

I cleaned up some lovely wiring, cleaned every connector and ground I could find, cleaned the ECU connector, checked for vacuum leaks - nothing. Replaced the spark plugs - which the old ones looked fine - nothing.

It ran fine one morning but ran like poo poo after sitting for an hour. Drove it home and cleaned all the relays and swapped them around where I could, and cleaned the fuel pump connectors - which looked fine. Now the car is running ok, going to redline, although still having a hard start sometimes. I don't trust it!

The ABS light is still on so makes me have hope its just a sensor.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 21, 2019

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I was able to read the codes. I've got bad grounds and a bad ABS sensor on the front. The only other code it's reporting is for knocking and the knock sensor. I'm running premium and the car now has fresh spark plugs and is otherwise running fine(when not running in this pulling power condition).

I'm going to replace the knock sensor and see what happens.

I also put OEM E46 16's on and it looks way better. It turns out one of them is bent on the inside so I'll have to deal with that. I ended up having to rebalance the awful tires on there so that's probably next.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 22, 2019

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I've got a set of lovely vaders with my name on them to swap into next. I guess I should fix the door card.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Had to pull them so many times to replace window regulators the anchors and clips are worn out?

I think this is kinda likely the case. Got hosed with, fasteners came out of the handle, then the plastic posts started getting pulled on, which eventually broke. Ti's have bespoke interiors so its even more of a pain.

The plastic posts got JB welded back on but one was put on backwards and then I got mad and never put it back on.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It certainly fits tires in the back a lot easier. There was a lot of room to spare!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The hood looks a little bent.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
get the thing you want or compromise your standards and :dealwithit:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Over the last two days I drove the M5 like 600 miles and nothing broke

I realize I have cursed myself.

I've had a door panel on for about 12 hours on my E36/5, I feel you.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i've driven an e30 with either 140 or 170hp for like 12 years now

get over yourselves

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
if you can't drive a rental car safely because you're spoiled by having 200+ hp get off of the road

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think it also ties into understanding why "people on the road" drive slow / like poo poo when their vehicles are huge pieces of poo poo.

I drove a new F150 recently and was a little revelatory at how much garbage people are driving around every day.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

what a fun way to change a control arm. i love my bmw.

When one thing leads to another.... I like the grinder.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
E30s are the best, sorry if this offends.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I am about to buy a VW for my wife, start dailying a Honda, and divest in an E30.

Truly, the world is ending. Anyone want to buy a 1991 318i?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

meatpimp posted:

Learn to sense the extent of your car. I put a Cadillac Escalade into the 2-car garage to maximize room for my wife to get in. This ends up with me having to have the passenger's side mirror from .75" - to - (-).25" from the right edge of the garage (there is a .75" flexible wiper seal on the perimeter, so I can just push it out of the way). I'd put the same loving 6'7" monstrosity of a vehicle in the ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸ 7 FOOT ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸ opening you have for your... 6.1' wide car. In fact, I wish I lived closer to you to demonstrate such an unremarkable achievement.

Two cars, one stall :smug:

Got about 3'' at best on both sides when backing in the front one, and it has to be at just the right angle. The rear has almost no space between the mirror and the wall and the bumper and the wall. I know I've done it well when the back half of the car is still on my side of the line in the middle of the garage.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I wish mine would sell that fast, sheesh.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Not sure how the oil pan would rust out when they are typically aluminum castings. Somethings fishy though and you should probably stay away.

Rusty rotors are normal for older brakes.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm not gonna buy one (I only buy the good BMWs) but they are the only crossover SUV that doesn't put me in a deep and restful sleep from looking at 'em

Yeah see there's your problem - stop looking at crossover SUVs. You know you don't have to buy them, right? Like just because something is offered for sale..

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Have you ever talked to a human woman before?? "I want to sit up high so I can see better" is like #1 on the car priority list, narrowly beating "color". If I asked any of my ex partners how their car handled, they'd say "with a steering wheel"

My wife wanted a manual wagon, so it sounds like you're doing it wrong.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

318's suck LOL

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

pour one out for the lost e30 boys

lightbulb still carrying the torch for now

it's pretty hosed up i only own 3 BMW's now.

my home garage now hosts a Honda and a VW, and the 318ti sits outside.

2019 makes fools of us all

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
speaking of wagons

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/d/urbandale-2009-bmw-328i-xdrive-wagon/6991130817.html

here's a white manual awd wagon.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Residency Evil posted:

gently caress I would love to replace my beater Volvo wagon with that.

I bet it'd poo poo it's cooling system somewhere in Indiana/Ohio on the drive back.

If it breaks in the eastern Iowa area I can help

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

That thing is sweet but $9900 for one with 142,600 miles?

e: doesn't even have the sport package...

how much are they going for normally? i don't know the pricing of any of the wagons these days.

hitze posted:

Got a little bend in my wheel in the wagon 😬

https://gfycat.com/scalyperiodicannelida

seems normal. can you feel it while driving? i ran a long time with a bend like that on two different sets of wheels because i am a cheap bastard. they balanced fine though.

another set all four are out of round. the goons running the daihatsu race car pulled them from a junkyard, raced on them, and then i ended up with them for 6 or 7 years until eventually they all got bent.