Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
m3 front end apparently spotted

hahaha what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Unless you really really really want AWD, buy a RWD E30.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

User Error posted:

I love when I go to replace the driveshaft in my e30 and find that the subframe bushings are all dry rotted and the brake lines are rusty as hell. Neat. Some day I'll run out of stuff to fix on this car.

As someone who owns a couple E30s - no you won’t

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i don't worry about other people on the road because i get in front of them and then it's not my problem anymore :getin:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
About to sell my 318ti and become a 2 BMW household. What is the world coming to?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

u still kept all the good e30s so you're good m8

They even have their own private bath now.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
fast but ugly

a dangerous combination

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
as someone who daily drove an e30 for 10 or so years - it helps to have more than one, but you'll always be working on something

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

i have yet to own a bmw that this didn't apply to :v:

it wasn't even a bad thing per se - they're just old and if you have any sort of budget it becomes triage. i only had a couple tows over a lot of miles over that time.

I found it best to always keep them fixed but then i had too many and thats a different story

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not get the sunroof on the alltrack. also i don't think the manual AWD sportwagen came with LEDs in the front. for DRLs yes, for main bulbs no.

only the top end trim has the LED headlights, which also have the sunroof

we have a 2019 SEL and they fixed the headliner leak and now its been fine

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Big Taint posted:

Jesus this thread is disappoint sometimes, am I really seeing Passat recommendations here? The E39 is probably the most reliable BMW platform, an E39 525i is basically the most trouble-free BMW ownership experience possible. It also happens that they are fantastic. Do it.

"probably the most reliable BMW platform"

i mean - does that say much?

i drove an e30 for 10 years and the key to my success was that i had a couple of them so when it was inevitably broken or needing work i would have another one to drive

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Big Taint posted:

No, it doesn’t, but what BMW, other than a brand new one under warranty, is likely to cost less to run than an E39? Or be less problematic? I stand by my statement.

You still need a second car though that’s just BMWs.

an e30, or two

:getin:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
hey the question was "less cost to run, less problematic", not how much it costs to get a good one in 2020!

mine were all less than $5k... 10 years ago

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Deadguy2322 posted:

So, my E83 X3 appears to be flooded and won’t start, anyone have any advice? It’s parked on the street, so I can’t get under it or do a hell of a lot under the hood.

What makes you think it's flooded?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
here's how i solved the money shift problem - i simply do not money shift

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

Those have been around since at least the E30

E90 guys think they invented everything

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
E30s look great whether they're a sedan or a coupe :smug:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

Its not as bad as the Bangle era... right? RIGHT???

The difference between the bangle era and now is that everyone I feel like copied the bangle stuff after it was released, and now BMW is copying the big grille stuff

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I sold my daily driver E30 and 318ti and feel like a shell of a man

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

I mean I still have two 325is lol but it’s winter time so I don’t drive them and I’m sad

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Residency Evil posted:

Can an e30 be a daily driver anywhere outside of California?

I drove my 318i for the last 9 years in Iowa, a year in a 325e, and two in a 325is. All but the 325e which never was are in good shape now.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rscott posted:

Some guy was selling a 84 318i here for 5k, it sold inside of 48 hours

My god what is wrong with people

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

BMW realized they need to make cars people actually want to be in and not just cars people deal with because they drive well. This has caused the subset of people who like cars that are loud, miserable, horrible places to be to completely lose their goddamn minds.

yeah BMW has traditionally been a boy racer car brand not a luxury brand :rolleyes:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
the way it feels to me is BMW used to be the leader. i remember when the e60 came out and everyone was like "wtf" and then all cars started looking like e60s. now everyone has big grilles and now bmw suddenly has a big grille. they're doing it wrong!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

We're not talking about the 750i here.

so you agree they're a luxury brand? i agree!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

glyph posted:

Since we're taking a bit of a design diversion here. Did Bangle ever mention the e30 M3 trunk as inspiration for the "Bangle butt"? Why is the trunk like that on e30 m3's? To match the altered rear window and still be able to open? The trunk has always caught my eye and looked kind of off...

Vs

It's because they literally put a shell over a regular E30 body.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

kronix posted:

The 3 series has always been a barely a luxury car. The G20 has taken a big step forward as now BMW doesn't have to make a 3 series leases for ~$300/month. There's no way to fundamentally take a $30k car and make it feel like a car that costs twice as much. Leather covered dashes and fancy seats can do so much. It's the same way a FocusRS doesn't feel like a $50k car.

Also, check out some of the BMW Facebook groups these days. The Honda guys have graduated to tuning Supras and 340s.

that doesn't change the BMW has been traditionally a "luxury" brand in the United States. Most people aren't psychos like me with a retirement plan of E30s

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make here? Are you saying that old M3s are luxurious enough because they were made by BMW, so QED? Are you saying it's good that BMW is focusing on luxury in the new M3 because that's who they ostensibly are as a company? Are you saying that the new M3s can't possibly be more luxurious than the old ones, so it's just weight for no reason? I genuinely don't know.

i'm saying you are wrong for saying that they were just now targetting the m3 for being upscale luxury market when that has been the market for a long time :)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Bape Culture posted:

guys who only acrually care about status and not vehicle dynamics is the target market. Got it

i think BMW has been catering to this market for as long as i have been aware but there was still some bones thrown to the race car nerds. it's certainly why now that i have money to buy a new BMW i have no interest in doing so

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

Except it's very evident sitting in previous M3s that this was not the case compared to their competition at similar prices (AMG, Audi RS, Porsche) and the new M3 is a huge step up. Like, an F80 is significantly less luxurious inside than my Stinger GT2, while a G80 is basically on par or maybe a tad above, materials wise.

you are extremely focused on this generation and the previous generation. i am talking about BMWs since the E code. this is a trend, not a specific comparison. comparing an M3 specifically to AMG as a whole, audi RS products as a whole, and porsche as a whole is a little odd to me and frankly i don't think is really relevant when the issue is the new m3 is loving ugly

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

I haven't sat in an E BMW, but by all accounts, they are extremely spartan inside. I really like the M3/M4 and complaining about how it's not what you wanted for those specific cars is not going to change my mind. They make the M2. Pull the M2 badge off and stick an M3 badge on it.

good luck with your ugly BMW :)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

What car did I make an assertion about that I didn't drive?

KillHour posted:

No, but a 911 isn't competing with an M3/M4. I've sat in a Cayman GTS 4.0 and as spec'd, it felt quite nice inside. Not very practical though.

KillHour posted:

Except it's very evident sitting in previous M3s that this was not the case compared to their competition at similar prices (AMG, Audi RS, Porsche) and the new M3 is a huge step up. Like, an F80 is significantly less luxurious inside than my Stinger GT2, while a G80 is basically on par or maybe a tad above, materials wise.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I feel like you're comparing 15 year old cars with modern cars and are surprised things may have improved over time.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

Merc on the luxury end or the sporty end? I assume luxury?

Remember I'm ~30, so "old car" to me doesn't mean what it does to a lot of other people here. My memory of the E chassis BMWs are those things that were going away when I was in highschool.

I'm roughly the same age but have a ton of experience with e-chassis cars :shrug:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

That's cool, but people (not necessarily always the same people) are simultaneously trying to say the E-chassis is the yardstick the current gen must be measured against but also it's not fair to compare them because technology has improved in 15 years. I can't really make a cohesive argument against both of those things at the same time. From my perspective, I'm leasing this thing because I'm not interested in a daily that is broken down half the time, so the fact that E-chassis cars even exist doesn't really factor into my buying decision. I'm cross shopping other new cars.

It's not fair to compare 15 year old cars to new cars, yes. It's not unfair to compare E-chassis code cars with other cars of the same vintage. The impression I got was that you were doing the former, not the latter.

You have the money get whatever car floats your boat. This tension between sportiness and luxury has always been a BMW enthusiast thing.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

NitroSpazzz posted:

:hfive: Old BMW best BMW. I keep thinking about going back to an E30 daily...as well as some other stupid idea.

I miss my daily E30 so much. It was so good and so much fun in the winter. But it was just rotting in my driveway outside barely being driven, so it's good that I moved on but.... :(

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My 325e would get 28mpg with the o2 sensor unplugged :smug:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think the new M3 is really ugly but I don't think basically any new car really drives badly

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The S14 is based on a 4cylinder M10, not M50, but it's way different. It certainly has a different head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think you should post a burn out in your new M3.