Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Man you don't gently caress around.

Also I had to go grab a Dr. Pepper after seeing yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Mastercraft Maximum.

Craftsman eat your heart out.

I love my Maximum tools, and there's something on sale every week so I just keep buying poo poo I dont need/already have.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ziploc posted:

Can someone explain the lighters?

:350:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sockington posted:

Went to seal the outside of the windshield to discover the tube had went wonky. gently caress.

It appears your caulk has gone limp...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Randi Challenger posted:

When my dog rides with me she gets doggles:

Good work as usual. You make me look really, really lazy.

That an ACD?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Randi Challenger posted:

Yes sir (ma'am?) it is. Out of all the dogs I've owned through the years my ACD is the most loyal of them all. Any particular reason you ask?

Just wondering, I (well my family, I moved) have one, such awesome dogs. No one ever knows what he is, they always look at him kinda strange.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

8ender posted:

Get one of these:

They show up on Kijiji and such once in a while. Heats my garage in about two minutes. Also its radiant so it makes the car you're working on warm as well. :3:

You know, they heat up really fast and well in really big places, but they make me feel like I'm sick, as soon as you step out of the rays its still cold, then back in and feel hot again.

I was working under them yesterday in a big hangar and I had to turn them off.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MrSaturn posted:

This interests me. Can you elaborate a bit on this? Are they hollow for some VVT madness, or for weight savings? It seems to me the latter is a strange place to try to save weight.

Camshafts spin, less rotating mass probably makes a pretty big difference when the engine is revving to 7k +.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

IsaacNewton posted:

You know me? I guess you do and quite possibly tasted my poutines. Which for the most part is highly appreciated by my guests. A poutine is a poutine, you put good poo poo into it and it turns out good. There's no science to it. Everyone know you need good cheese curds. This is why I said no one need instruction. It's like someone needing instruction to boil eggs.

I just read this in my mind in a horrible quebecois accent.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Rot is like house rust...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Mastercraft Maximum or bust! :canada:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sockington posted:

I pretty much strictly go there for tools unless there is a sale on oil. For car parts, it seems I've developed a taste for ordering from a network of discount OEM dealers (Tousley Ford, Genuine Subaru, Mazda Motorsports account, Lithia Toyota).

I've developed a policy of replace it with better if not too costly for the gains (I love driving the Focus in comparison to that horrid rolly-polly disgrace to the glorious Swift name). My parent's didn't even notice the car was lowered and had bigger brakes until their neighbour's kid got one in similar spec (04' w/ the same 16" wheels) and I had to walk over and show the with fingers in the wheel gap that ours was different. It's the perfect subtle drop with still keeping winter-ability.

I buy a ton of MM stuff when it comes on sale. Off the top of my head;
- 6' toolbox
- Grinder
- Random Orbit Sander
- 220(?)piece socket set (I forget and probably lost a few in the back of the 323 somewhere by now)
- Metric gear wrench set
- Metric flex gear wrench set

Turns out, I don't need to buy standard/imperial tools. Everything in the house is metric (Focus: 8/10/13/15/18/19(wheels)/21, Toyota/Mazda/Subaru: 8/10/12/14/17/19) which keeps things pretty simple. :v: I'm also not allowed to buy anymore cars until one of them dies in some fashion (have no plans to part with any of them - even the Focus will stay for a good long while)

A whole lot of other stuff indeed. If you're not careful, you'll end up spending a ton on random crap.

That should give me pretty drat good coverage for my basic home-use.

I pretty much exclusively buy tools from Canadian Tire,

2 different Maximum tool kits, got a 1/2 torque wrench last time they went on sale, but it doesnt have the colored handle like yours, 18v impact and accessories when it was on sale, flashlights, scrapers, drills.

As long as you dont buy Jobmate brand even the normal Mastercraft stuff is okay.

Ohh also my favorite ratchet is a Maximum, comfy grip, small head and a nice movement.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

8ender posted:

The Jobmate stuff is fine as long as you buy it keeping in mind that they aren't built for lots and lots of duty. I have a Jobmate angle grinder which has been fine because I rarely use it. Works great when I do. If I was grinding every day I'd probably be looking for a better one.

We have a Jobmate dremel which took forever to cut through a tiny hollow metal rod, cant keep the cutting wheels straight and 60% of the time they break sending shards flying everywhere. I bought a real Dremel last month and it's like buttah.

Also I got a $10 Jobmate tool kit to throw in my car for emergencys (it came with a tool bag). It came with a 3/8 ratchet but 1/4 sockets, the first time I tried to use it with the adapter that it came with the adapter sheared off. The flashlight lasts 10 minutes and is dull... soooo bad!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sockington posted:

Used up some scrap stuff around the garage to make something for my metric wrenches (since they are all that I use anyways). Still gotta get a few missing wrenches out of the back of the wagon.

I hate digging through wrench piles and this should make it a bit easier to locate the needed spanner.

Should put size labels above them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

IOwnCalculus posted:

We'll also get some intermediary shots of building more cool stuff for your house - maybe for the little Sock instead of the garage, but hey, all the same.

It will have been discovered halfway through building something for the house, that some piece has succumbed to rot and needs to be completely replaced.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sockington posted:

Today we hit the sixth bird while driving the van. I've never hit so many so often. :wtf:

Maybe its the color/shape?

I hit 3 birds in my 01 Golf TDI and I've never hit a bird in any other car.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Leperflesh posted:

Of course, you will never see a raven or crow that's been hit by a car. They're far too smart. This proves that sometime in the ancient past, before recorded history, there was a population of crows that interacted with ancient cars. Perhaps driven by aliens, or perhaps there were prehistoric cars that were made of substances that don't preserve well for later archaeologists to discover, such as ice, or nougat, or ghosts. Over time the corvids evolved to be wary of those ancient vehicles by getting smarter, and then those smarter crows must have out-competed the stupider ones, just like we awesome homo sapiens out-competed the more physically powerful, but dumber, Neanderthals.

I ran over a crow in the street that didn't feel the need to fly away when his 20 other friends did, he bounced twice on the bottom of the car and his feathers flew up in the air behind me like out of a cartoon.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

rscott posted:

FIREWEED, that's an interesting vanity plate

This is fireweed, up north, after forest fires, its usually the first thing to pop up, hence the name.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

revmoo posted:

Is Canadian octane the same as US octane?

Yes

God drat getting distracted and leaving the page.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
They are hiring!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
In all 3 of my S13s there was a cake of wet mud, dirt, grass, and other grime under the mudflaps leaving nice rust holes in one of them.

Even my Xterra mudfaps just held onto dirt, Nissan :argh:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MiniFoo posted:

Were those big hairy dicks on sale at Princess Auto too?

Power Fist Big Hairy Dicks, the best in big hairy dicks

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I'm probably not going to bother with the poo poo Winters that I got with the Merc, I mean I have my truck for snow, the all seasons should be fine for whatever light dusting I'd get stuck in in Vancouver.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

VelociBacon posted:

Hey fellow vangoon. I agree that you really don't need winter tires at all in Vancouver. Especially if you have a truck. This will be my first 4wd winter - do you know any good places around the lower mainland for light offroading/loving about with the cars? I was thinking Cypress parking lot or something.

Cypress lot is kinda fun for doing donuts and stuff, when its open and not full of cars. Otherwise I don't really know, haven't got out of my way to find anything like that, though I should.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Mat_Drinks posted:

Is it coincidence that not long after the thread title changed to House of Jort's that the subject matter began including house repairs? :tinfoil:

Sock's been posting about house repairs and stuff for years, it's nothing new, and it keeps the thread interesting.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sockington posted:

Oh my god, that soldering station is badass. Takes almost no time to heat up and is just a delight to work with.

I love the super flexible iron cable versus the normal 110v plug that lovely ones come with.

Having tried a nicer setup, I'll never go back if possible.

Normal 110v plug in irons blow, only time I ever have to use them is doing emergency fixes for work in a hangar somewhere, otherwise we have a few Weller stations at our shop.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
They look like +1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
My favorite recent craigslist experience was a guy selling some Mercedes wheels for "1500 OBO" and they were overpriced, I offered him $1000 in an email. His response was "I'm not selling them for less then $1500". THEN DONT loving PUT OBO IN YOUR AD, do you even understand what that means? Do you think people are going to trip over themselves offering MORE then your asking price??

• Locked thread