Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hypnolobster posted:

Side note: holy gently caress everything is expensive. 110 yards of elasbelt is about $60, and I need.. A lot more than 110 yards.

Have you considered joining the slatflipping crew? Some 1x4 slats would be much cheaper than fabric belts. They're heavier obviously, and have less give, but might be worth considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

Fair enough.

You realize a yard of fabric is a lot more than a square yard, right?

I dunno, I’d guess 10 yards is probably about right or maybe even too little for a sofa? I was surprised my wing chair took 4-5 yards, but that had a million odd side panels and arms and stuff. Stuff with patterns with a big repeat can take tons of fabric too.

Hypnolobster posted:

Side note: holy gently caress everything is expensive. 110 yards of elasbelt is about $60, and I need.. A lot more than 110 yards. Also the fabric I'm considering is about $30 per yard and I'll probably need ~10 yards. Cheap couch my rear end.

Upholstery fabric is usually more expensive, but also much heavier and more durable than normal fabric. $30/yd isn’t bad for good upholstery fabric. Stuff like Schumacher starts at $200/yd and that’s even the bottom end of ‘really nice fabric.’ Also drat, installing 110+ yards of anything is gonna be really fun to deal with.

I really like your design. The two-plane back seems like a clever way to make the upholstery easier and it looks nice. I’ve never entirely understood what pull throughs are for but I know they matter and you need a lot of them and in the right places.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

DEWALT (DWE7491RS) 10-Inch Table Saw, 32-1/2-Inch Rip Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F2CGXGG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_drgUEbV9B3VQS

This is my saw, I think I paid $500 or $550 for it
I love it very much and it packs away vertically which was great when I was in a tiny one-car garage shop that I still needed to park my car in

Now I have a house with a 650sqft garage and I’m trying to sell it so I can buy a sawstop but it’s served me real drat well for three years

The small size can be pretty limiting in lots of ways, like the picture frame jig I never made because it would be too big

Seconding this. I just got one of these last month and it has been amazing to wheel out into the driveway, rip things down, and wheel back in at the end. No fuss and no mess.

(The only issue I've run into so far is it can't rip down sheet goods. I suppose it could, but there's a lot of wobble with no in/out-feed tables and I'm not daring enough.)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Mr. Mambold posted:

You realize a yard of fabric is a lot more than a square yard, right?
Yeah, this is just a large couch and I need extra for uh.. inevitable disasters. In reality it should be less, and I'll probably cover the back panels with cheap broadcloth to save more. I don't care what it looks like until the day comes that it lives out in the middle of a room instead of against a wall.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have you considered joining the slatflipping crew?
Slatflip never. This is a netflix and chill spec couch with super deep bottom cushion and nice squish.
But really, slats would potentially work, but take way weirder things with the cushion foam and deck foam to make it similarly comfortable as the webbing. I've got zig zag springs to experiment with too, but those bring about some weird problems of their own due to this being an exposed wood frame.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Upholstery fabric is usually more expensive, but also much heavier and more durable than normal fabric. $30/yd isn’t bad for good upholstery fabric. Stuff like Schumacher starts at $200/yd and that’s even the bottom end of ‘really nice fabric.’ Also drat, installing 110+ yards of anything is gonna be really fun to deal with.

I really like your design. The two-plane back seems like a clever way to make the upholstery easier and it looks nice. I’ve never entirely understood what pull throughs are for but I know they matter and you need a lot of them and in the right places.
It's a weird dance on picking fabric for it. I think I'll end up making cushions more than once trying to both decide on the type I want, and also not loving it up. It's maybe a little kitschy right now but I think I might go with an upholstery weight linen. Those seem to land around the $30-$40 yard range. I like the heavy weave/texture and the usually interesting two tone colors, even in the natural/undyed stuff. Feels like it would look good against chamfered, blocky box jointed ash.

Also thanks! I'm still kind of agonizing over the design, and I suspect that it'll change more once I do a full size mock-up and sit on it.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 12, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Seconding this. I just got one of these last month and it has been amazing to wheel out into the driveway, rip things down, and wheel back in at the end. No fuss and no mess.

(The only issue I've run into so far is it can't rip down sheet goods. I suppose it could, but there's a lot of wobble with no in/out-feed tables and I'm not daring enough.)

It can 100% rip down sheet goods lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Covid has led to spring cleaning and reorganization which means I get to take the remainder of my woodpile of that funky red maple and cherry slabs that I bought over a year ago and move them into this half of the basement. At the back wall you can also see a plywood storage stand I set up. It's elevated so plywood can slide out to the left which leads to a stair landing and door that separates the room in the photo from my shop off to the left over the landing not pictured.

I'm looking for some advice on how to improve the stand with respect to adding some tension to the plywood at the upper side of the stack. The stand itself is all pocket screwed 2x4 construction with the crossbrace 2x4s being covered by a 4" PVC pipe to make them into rollers. 2x4 pieces also flank the area above each roller to keep the plywood in the "channel" and only resting on the PVC rollers and not in the gap between the end of the roller and the long 2x4 stringers running the length of the stand that the legs are screwed into.

In this photo you can't see the PVC rollers as I have jammed the plywood into place at the bottom using some scrap pieces of wood. The top is resting free and does not provide much force against the 2 vertical 2x4s but I'd like to somehow add a little compression to the stack up top just to keep the plywood more vertical / prevent any diagonal movement further. Any thoughts?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I would just use 2 or 3 quick clamps, put a couple of 2x4's up against the wall to give yourself some room.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

About a week ago, I realized a couple of handsaws would be very handy to have around for assorted future projects. The problem is that all 9 of the handsaws we have are rusted and dulled to hell, due to a certain family member's garage chemistry oxidising gas mishap a couple of years ago. I've been binging Paul Sellers' videos lately, so of course I got it in my head to just restore all of them. At once. Because a master craftsman made it look easy.

Before and after shot:

Still sharpening and setting the blades, but at least they're shiny now!

Ugh.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

It can 100% rip down sheet goods lol

Can you show me how you do it?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I just ordered 7 sheets of A1 grade 3/4" maple plywood :getin:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I just unloaded 7 sheets of 3/4" Baltic Birch and 26 b/f of Birch. I was talking to the lumber yard about the price increase on ply and he agreed that a lot more people doing home projects has bumped the demand vs supply.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Super Waffle posted:

:homebrew:

Dang I was pricing baltic birch recently, and it's certainly not cheap. I can't imagine A1 maple ply.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I’ve been watching way to many YouTube videos where they are like “yeah so for this budget built I’m just gonna grab this cheap sheet of 3/4” maple...”

I mean I guess it’s cheap compared to the equivalent in lumber.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

I just unloaded 7 sheets of 3/4" Baltic Birch and 26 b/f of Birch. I was talking to the lumber yard about the price increase on ply and he agreed that a lot more people doing home projects has bumped the demand vs supply.
Even chinavietnambirch has gone up quite a bit, but that was partly from covid shutting down Chinavietnam and tariffs. My supplier was telling me Baltic Birch has gone up so quickly in part because the Russians had lowered the price of Baltic birch to try and compete with/take market share from chinese birch after it got tariffed, but then decided that wasn’t working and so have raised the price on Russian birch back up to where it was a few years ago.

The good news for woodworkers if this turns into a massive recession is that all lumber will get alot cheaper! Cherry is super cheap at the moment here. 8/4 cherry was $3.15/bf (cheapest it’s been in a decade?) when I priced it the other day and was actually cheaper than soft maple in some :psyduck: way. I guess red cherry doesn’t fit with the rustic/grey/minimalist aesthetic that seems to rule the world these days.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Super Waffle posted:

Holy gently caress. I think when I was going to order the maple plywood a couple months ago it was like $175 a sheet. I quickly changed it to Birch. And that was for just one sheet.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Looking for a recommendation for a clamp to hold cupped boards flat on my sled for cross cut dado cuts. Kreg has a 6” reach one, but it requires their proprietary plate or rail. Amazon is not remotely helpful, what with the flood of chinese garbage.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Does anyone sell a good cheap pack of veneers for learning marquetry?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not super cheap overall, but pretty cheap per sq. ft. Certainly Wood are great people too.

http://certainlywood.com/results-packages.php

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Both Rockler and Woodcraft sell "wood identifying" packs for around $25 and $40-$50. They are not large sheets but if you just want to learn with different species its like 10 sq/ft to cut up.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Holy gently caress. I think when I was going to order the maple plywood a couple months ago it was like $175 a sheet. I quickly changed it to Birch. And that was for just one sheet.

In a bizarre twist of fate, turns out I know someone who owns a construction supply company who was willing to sell me the sheets at cost. I'm paying $84.50 each plus tax

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Super Waffle posted:

In a bizarre twist of fate, turns out I know someone who owns a construction supply company who was willing to sell me the sheets at cost. I'm paying $84.50 each plus tax

That’s a good friend to have around. I looked it up and locally from a place called Dunn Lumber we can snag 3/4” Maple A1 for $107.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Hasselblad posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a clamp to hold cupped boards flat on my sled for cross cut dado cuts. Kreg has a 6” reach one, but it requires their proprietary plate or rail. Amazon is not remotely helpful, what with the flood of chinese garbage.

Depends on whether you're trying to cut the concave or convex side, and what you're willing to do to your sled.

For the concave side, a piece of thickish square bar perpendicular to the blade, across the worst part of the cup, attached to the board with hand knobs should smoosh it down nicely.

For the convex side, the stubby end of a hold down clamp on each corner should flatten it out. The bar method above also works, but takes at least 2.

I like t-track in my jigs for this kind of clamping, be it aluminum, routered in, or a set of metal/hardwood bars inlaid with appropriate gap. Alternatively, you could just poke holes in the sled and countersink the underside as needed.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Falco posted:

That’s a good friend to have around. I looked it up and locally from a place called Dunn Lumber we can snag 3/4” Maple A1 for $107.

No kidding, my local lumber yard quoted me $120/sheet for B2 grade.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

When David Picciuto was building his shop like, a year and a half ago, he used walnut plywood for all his cabinet tops and he said it was something like $55 per sheet over $45 for birch

Walnut plywood, for 1/2", is $160 here, four hours away from him

It's tempting to just drive my truck to Toledo if he's to be believed

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Sockser posted:

When David Picciuto was building his shop like, a year and a half ago, he used walnut plywood for all his cabinet tops and he said it was something like $55 per sheet over $45 for birch

Walnut plywood, for 1/2", is $160 here, four hours away from him

It's tempting to just drive my truck to Toledo if he's to be believed

About a year ago I bought 3/4 A1 maple ply at $60, BB was $30. There has been a lot of change in the past year.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Worth noting too that the grade of hardwood plywood only refers to the quality of the face veneers, and not the core they are laid up on. So you can have 2 sheets of A1 on different cores that might have very different prices-one might be plain 5 ply veneer core and the other might be 7 ply with MDF right under the veneer for a smoother finish, and one might cost twice what the other does.

I knew the $30 sheets of Baltic birch were way too good to last and now I wish I’d bought a ton of it. I love that stuff,

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 13, 2020

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

I have just been given this slab, any ideas what I could do with it? due to its shape I was planning on cutting it into strips and using it on my lathe, but I am open to other suggestions.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

I second the certainly wood pack that Kaiser mentioned, that's what I have.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Super Waffle posted:

Maple and birch are so similar as to be indestinguishable, but props if it makes you feel good.

Vier posted:

I have just been given this slab, any ideas what I could do with it? due to its shape I was planning on cutting it into strips and using it on my lathe, but I am open to other suggestions.

And as blind as I am, this looks like maple to me. Have you considered chunking it into bowl shapes and turning those?

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 13, 2020

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Vier posted:

This would be my new moxon vice

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Not super cheap overall, but pretty cheap per sq. ft. Certainly Wood are great people too.

http://certainlywood.com/results-packages.php

Thanks. "Cheap per square foot" is definitely a plus since I plan to make a lot of stupid mistakes.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I got my plywood sheets, and by God are they beautiful.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Maple and birch are so similar as to be indestinguishable, but props if it makes you feel good.

It makes me feel extremely good :gizz:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Does this seem like a good deal? / Is this a decent saw?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 14, 2020

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Elysium posted:

Does this seem like a good deal? / Is this a decent saw?

Not particularly. Those old Craftsman saws are a dime a dozen and often sell for $100 or less at least around here (Seattle). The base saw is okay, but the fences are pretty awful. I would suggest the Dewalt DW745 for just a bit more new. Or hold off for something like a Rigid R4520 or something with a biesemeyer style fence to pop up second hand.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
$100 is the cheapest I’ve seen for an old craftsman, like this one: https://i.imgur.com/2cfCCBl.jpg

I also see several of them for $150-250 currently.

The one I posted had the advantage of being in my town and coming with a bunch of old blades and dado stacks though (who knows what quality), so there was that.

Splurge option:

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 14, 2020

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I guess I might as well ask about this saw. It's a TS3650 and is part of an estate sale auction with an opening bid of $150. Is it worth bidding on?

I'm pretty sure I can ask questions to the auction people, their only comment so far is that it powers on.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Olothreutes posted:

I guess I might as well ask about this saw. It's a TS3650 and is part of an estate sale auction with an opening bid of $150. Is it worth bidding on?

I'm pretty sure I can ask questions to the auction people, their only comment so far is that it powers on.

It looks like it sat outside in the rain.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

mds2 posted:

It looks like it sat outside in the rain.

Yeah that rust is rather worrying. I was hoping I could just take it off with some steel wool, but if it's too deep it would probably make the table uneven.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Elysium posted:

$100 is the cheapest I’ve seen for an old craftsman, like this one: https://i.imgur.com/2cfCCBl.jpg

I also see several of them for $150-250 currently.

The one I posted had the advantage of being in my town and coming with a bunch of old blades and dado stacks though (who knows what quality), so there was that.

Splurge option:

You say splurge option like it's an actual thing. You realize that thing is the size and weight of a small car, right. But, you'd be immediately crowned king of tablesawistan.

Olothreutes posted:

Intriguing. Even if it powers up, you don't know if there's weather damage to the motor. I'd want to listen to it run a blade for a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

You say splurge option like it's an actual thing.

Lol, I thought it was pretty clear the guy looking at $200 saws on craigslist wasn't buying a $4900, 4900lb monster.