Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rock My Socks! posted:

I’m building a simple pine salt cellar as a first project...it’s not exactly pretty but I’m reasonably happy with it.

A few issues:

-whenever I try to sand a surface flat, it always seems to come out bulging in the middle and tapered on the edges (see the right side of the box for an example). Is there a secret to sanding surfaces flat?

-the lid seems a bit warped; is there an easy way to flatten it? I tried just clamping it down to my workbench for a few hours, but it immediately returned to its warped form when I released the clamps.

You could flip the top over. The lid will be tight at the long edges and you won't notice it as much. You could also screw/nail (don't glue) some battens or cleats cross grain to hold it flat. Sometimes I've had good luck wetting the concave side and setting it out in the sun with the convex face up, but that's usually a temporary fix. The best fix is planing and dressing it flat. Softwood lumber like that isn't dried to a very low moisture content and tends to warp a bit after it gets inside conditioned space.

For future reference and to add to Leperflesh's excellent diagrams-the way boards cup isn't random. In a plainsawn board like yours, the growth rings almost always try to flatten out and the side of the board facing the heart of the tree(the bottom of your warped board) will will try to become convex. It's much harder to predict how a board will become crooked down it's length, but cupping like that across the width is fairly predictable (but gets more complicated if you start resawing or have badly dried wood)

calandryll posted:

Had some more fun with my friends mill. This time I was around long enough to help cut some large trees.

In action:

These were 2x16 by about 13 ft long. Some of the straightest pine I've ever seen. It' was amazing how nice these boards were.

Also some really interesting poplar.

That's a super cool (and terrifying mill!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

GEMorris posted:

If you are going super budget why not just attach the router directly to the underside of the table and forego the plate altogether?

Nice work regardless

The plate was $25 while t-channel and the fittings would have come to ~$70. I like the plate because it provides a large, flat, and stable surface, and has easily swappable inserts for different sized bits. Also there are measuring increments on it as well to assist in lining things up.

Today I fastened the fence to the sliders and wired up a switch. Going to add some storage for my various bits and router accessories.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I'm looking at making a wheeled kitchen island with an unfinished maple counter top, and I'm getting overwhelmed by the finishing options. I've been looking at this butcher block oil at HD. Would it be appropriate if I want something low maintenance to protect against moisture and stains?

In case anyone asks about usage it's going to be used as a prep area and as a small dinner table. I won't cut directly on it either.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That's a super cool (and terrifying mill!)

I was treating it like my tablesaw, assume it will kill you at a moments notice. The hardest part was moving 2 inch thick slabs of wood. It also vibrated a lot when wood was going through the blade, but it was a fun time though I was a bit sore the next day.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My latest project is (mostly) finished! I hope none of you fancy wood workers recoil in horror :v: I have been struggling with a black & decker clamping sawhorse for a long time, and turning wood on the floor. I never had any kind of solid work bench, just a couple flimsy card tables. Well I decided to change that. I posted earlier about the old pallets I had collected, now it is time to put some of them to work.

First I collected two pallets and broke one apart to get at the juicy wood core. Pulling rested nails out of old skids is tedious!

Then I cut the legs to correct length with a hand saw and fixed them to the bottom with some nails

I bought a wood vise on Amazon, so I mounted that and added a shelf on the bottom:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sashimi posted:

I'm looking at making a wheeled kitchen island with an unfinished maple counter top, and I'm getting overwhelmed by the finishing options. I've been looking at this butcher block oil at HD. Would it be appropriate if I want something low maintenance to protect against moisture and stains?

In case anyone asks about usage it's going to be used as a prep area and as a small dinner table. I won't cut directly on it either.

That stuff is fine, or plain mineral oil from the drug store is good too and cheap.

calandryll posted:

I was treating it like my tablesaw, assume it will kill you at a moments notice. The hardest part was moving 2 inch thick slabs of wood. It also vibrated a lot when wood was going through the blade, but it was a fun time though I was a bit sore the next day.

Yeah in my limited sawmilling experience, most of the time and labor is in moving and stacking the wood, not in cutting it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I buy mineral oil in 16oz bottles for about $3 from the drug store (the stuff labeled as a laxative). Don’t put wax on it if you’re likely to put hot things on it. I like to rub in olive oil on days I’m making pizza too, and just clean off with a wet rag. Reapply mineral oil as necessary.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jhet posted:

I buy mineral oil in 16oz bottles for about $3 from the drug store (the stuff labeled as a laxative). Don’t put wax on it if you’re likely to put hot things on it. I like to rub in olive oil on days I’m making pizza too, and just clean off with a wet rag. Reapply mineral oil as necessary.

I was/am under the impression that olive oil can cause cutting boards to smell rancid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Where do y’all find plans? Anyone have plans for an easy kids desk?

I’m no where near great at this carpentry thing (see my comics cabinet that I still need to finish but it’s cold out and I don’t wanna), but feel like I could put together a desk for my niece pretty easily.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Rutibex posted:

My latest project is (mostly) finished! I hope none of you fancy wood workers recoil in horror :v:

This is absolutely amazing. This loving rules. Your leg to top joinery isn't going to last blah blah blah whatever... You improved your situation with the resources you had at hand in a way I haven't had to for at least a decade and my hat is off to you sir.

Goddamn this owns.

Add cross bracing to the back or attach it to the wall to resist racking. Throw some sandbags on that shelf to increase mass, etc. etc.

Do you see this as a step towards your next bench or do you plan to stop here and build things with this setup? (There's no wrong answer!)

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 27, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GEMorris posted:

This is absolutely amazing. This loving rules. Your leg to top joinery isn't going to last blah blah blah whatever... You improved your situation with the resources you had at hand in a way I haven't had to for at least a decade and my hat is off to you sir.

Goddamn this owns.

Add cross bracing to the back or attach it to the wall to resist racking. Throw some sandbags on that shelf to increase mass, etc. etc.

Do you see this as a step towards your next bench or do you plan to stop here and build things with this setup? (There's no wrong answer!)

Thanks! :D Yeah its a bit more wobbly that I would like, that's a good idea to nail it to the wall I think I'm going to try that.

Yes, I would like to build a few more benches to replace the card tables I am using now, and improve the one I have here. But I think that will wait for after Christmas, right now I want to work on making presents :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are several ways to resist racking; nailing it to the wall is one, but if you want to be able to move it around: you can nail a sheet of ply to the rear legs, or you can put in angled braces between the legs, or you can add skirts that nail into the legs, or some combo.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
To add more to the bench reinforcement chat, this article from Schwarz is a good catalogue of the different reinforcement options available to you

Link

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I knocked this together for my mom and it was so solid after I screwed on those angled braces. It could have held my weight except for the legs being a little thin (it's holding up three potted plants, so gently caress it).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was/am under the impression that olive oil can cause cutting boards to smell rancid.

It could if you just leave it to sit. But I rub it on and then wipe it down with a warm and wet rag so I’d guess that very little stays longer than I’m making the pizza. I also use the butcher block surface heavily, so maybe if you were wiping on olive oil and then leaving it to sit on an unused serving board then it’ll definitely go rancid. It’s not a finishing oil definitely, but it won’t hurt to leave it oily from cooking.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GEMorris posted:

To add more to the bench reinforcement chat, this article from Schwarz is a good catalogue of the different reinforcement options available to you

Link

Oh awesome, this entire blog is getting bookmarked.

Uthor posted:

I knocked this together for my mom and it was so solid after I screwed on those angled braces. It could have held my weight except for the legs being a little thin (it's holding up three potted plants, so gently caress it).

:thunk:
I have been meaning to get a miter box.....

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Rutibex posted:

I bought a wood vise on Amazon, so I mounted that and added a shelf on the bottom:

Agreeing with GEMorris on this one - looks good. That's also the same vise I use, I just added a piece of maple faced with cork so I had a bit more clamping area.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have strong opinions or experience with African mahogany vs sapele as far as rot resistance? I’ve used both extensively for interior work and generally prefer working with African mahogany and the Forest Products Laboratory puts them both in the same ‘moderately durable’ category, but I have no experience using them outside. This is some boat stuff that should hopefully be completely encapsulated by finish and I could theoretically use poplar, but I’d rather play it as safe as possible, esp. seeing as they are the same price. Spanish cedar is also an option but it’s so soft and stinky I’d rather not use it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Replying from like a week/a few pages ago...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The "which saw" debate shows up fairly frequently, though not so often that I can just point you to the last time it happened. Let me see if I can sum up the pros/cons of your various options:

Table saw: is the workhorse saw for most shops. Can do any straight cut, though you'll want a sled for crosscuts. Generally though if you want one of these then you want it to be big -- "contractor" saws aren't great. Table saws are also the biggest cause of injury in carpentry shops, either from body parts contacting the sawblade, or from kickback (where the blade flings the workpiece back at the operator, due to improper cutting technique). Much of that is doubtless because of the table saw's popularity, but it's still easier to use wrong than most other carpentry power tools.

Band saw: on the flipside, probably the safest power saw, which is not the same thing as actually being safe. Can do curved cuts and I would say is the only realistic power tool that can resaw wood (turning a 1" thick board into two 3/8" thick boards, say). Reliably making straight cuts takes practice, as the thin blade doesn't do much to help guide the cut on its own. The big issue with these is their limited cutting depth -- a 14" bandsaw can't cut more than 14" (actually probably more like 13") from any edge of a board. So they're not good for crosscuts or most plywood cuts.

Circular saw: can do any cut, but needs a jig (or a steady hand) for every cut. I would personally not like to rip thin material with a circular saw though. A circular saw and a block of insulation foam to do your cuts on is a decent choice.

Miter saw as mentioned is for crosscuts only. They do that very well, and a shop that has a table or band saw plus a miter saw is in good shape for cutting wood, but a miter saw on its own isn't really going to cut it.

Jig saw: not really a workhorse saw. Can do curved cuts, and can cut anywhere, but cut quality and control are both limited. Handy if you need to cut a hole in something though -- drill a hole big enough for the blade, then stick the jigsaw in and go.
Thank you for this! I decided to chat with the wife about clearing some old junk out of the shed so I can maybe set up a workstation in it until we move into a bigger place and/or turn our carport into a true garage like most everyone else in our neighborhood and having this list will help me decide what to get!

GEMorris posted:

Track saw is notably absent from that list, which is otherwise a good list.

Track saw - provides a guide rail that solves for most shortcomings of a circular saw. Capable of handling cuts on large/bulky pieces because you only have to move the tool rather than the workpiece (so cutting a 4x8 sheet of ply is safer than on a table saw, but not as limiting as a bandsaw.) Has trouble with smaller cuts, especially rips on narrow pieces. Can have trouble with repeatability if you don't have the necessary jigs to solve for that. Many of its shortcomings can be solved with the addition of an MFT or ACS style table. Very stowable (provided you have a wall space to store your rail if you get a long one)

My shop cuts are about 40% bandsaw, 30% track saw, and 30% handsaws. If I was starting from scratch an ACS/MFT system with a track saw would be the first purchase I would make (followed by quite a few hand tools, then a dewalt 735, then a bandsaw, then a drill press)
Thank you as well! Since I am just getting started myself and I'm prepared to invest in some tools, what would you recommend to have on hand for building a desk and some shelves??

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Good job Rutibex.

I made the Rex Kreuger low Roman style laminated dimensional lumber workbench and I'm quite happy with it. I'm not short of space, but I was unhappy with the counters in my new garage for sawing especially, so I did it up and designed it to slide it out of the way into an otherwise nul space underneath the counter counters.

Just throwing that out there for anyone who is facing work bench problems.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Good job Rutibex.

I made the Rex Kreuger low Roman style laminated dimensional lumber workbench and I'm quite happy with it. I'm not short of space, but I was unhappy with the counters in my new garage for sawing especially, so I did it up and designed it to slide it out of the way into an otherwise nul space underneath the counter counters.

Just throwing that out there for anyone who is facing work bench problems.

I watched that same Rex Kreuger video and I plan to make one of those eventually too :v:

I took some advice about my bench and cut these 90 degree wedges to put into the corners. Now it's a lot more rigid! There were other thing I could have done, but this seemed the laziest:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rutibex posted:

I watched that same Rex Kreuger video and I plan to make one of those eventually too :v:

I took some advice about my bench and cut these 90 degree wedges to put into the corners. Now it's a lot more rigid! There were other thing I could have done, but this seemed the laziest:

When you do it the biggest hassle is the leg holes and getting a big enough bit. Every other part is more or less a cakewalk.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I was gifted my Grandpa's old planes, he was a carpenter his whole adult life, and I'm very excited to use them after a bit of care.

OgreNoah fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 28, 2020

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Your grandad was a smart dude because those are the two sizes I recommend folks start with (no 6 and low angle block plane)

I know Schwarz and other say start with a no5, but my take it that a no6 can serve as a jointer in ways that a no5 never will, and any smoothing situation that a No5 will outperform a no6 can be handled by judicious use of the block plane.

Buy a high quality blade+chipbreaker for the No6, sharpen it with a slight arc and use it for jointing and smoothing. Take the original blade and chipbreaker and sharpen it with a more significant arc and use it for roughing work. Because your new blade will be significantly thicker, you'll be able to swap blades for tasks without having to adjust the frog/mouth.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 28, 2020

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It's my belief that the advice to start with a #5 is based at least in part on the fact that they sold in far greater numbers than the #6, and therefore should be much easier to find and at a lower price point too. Whether that's true I can't say for certain as I don't really follow the old tool market but it feels plausible. Regardless, I never really got the aversion against the #6 and cleaned up it should be a solid plane.

Also, because they are so much thicker, if you do buy an aftermarket iron+chip breaker, you may find that you need to open the mouth a bit to actually pass shavings without clogging.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Just Winging It posted:

It's my belief that the advice to start with a #5 is based at least in part on the fact that they sold in far greater numbers than the #6, and therefore should be much easier to find and at a lower price point too. Whether that's true I can't say for certain as I don't really follow the old tool market but it feels plausible. Regardless, I never really got the aversion against the #6 and cleaned up it should be a solid plane.

Yeah, for setting a target I get it, the 5 was the everyman homeowner plane for sure. The aversion to the 6 is almost entirely due to Patrick Leach who made the first attempt on the internet to catalogue Stanley planes, his opinions got perpetuated for quite a long while.

Just Winging It posted:

Also, because they are so much thicker, if you do buy an aftermarket iron+chip breaker, you may find that you need to open the mouth a bit to actually pass shavings without clogging.

True. I personally didn't have this happen and have now replaced all my Stanleys with Veritas stuff, but this can happen. A file fixes it but some folks can be too scared to take this on (there's good videos on youtube for setting up a plane, including this one)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I bought a Kreg pocket hole jig (it's fun to use!) and am wondering if I need to use their screws or if I can use some generic ones for less?

https://www.kregtool.com/shop/pocket-hole-joinery/pocket-hole-jigs/kreg-pocket-hole-jig-320/KPHJ320.html

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Uthor posted:

I bought a Kreg pocket hole jig (it's fun to use!) and am wondering if I need to use their screws or if I can use some generic ones for less?

https://www.kregtool.com/shop/pocket-hole-joinery/pocket-hole-jigs/kreg-pocket-hole-jig-320/KPHJ320.html

There may be cheaper ones out there, but you can't just like, use a drywall screw and expect the same results.

The washer head and the smooth shank draw the pieces together super tight and square.

IMO just suffer the price of the Kreg screws, they're pretty great.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Uthor posted:

Pocket hole screws have 3 features

• Smooth shank - allows pieces to be drawn together.
  • Self drilling tips - prevents endgrain from blowing out when joining
  • Broad, flat flange (bottom side of screw head) - enhances first two features.

Based on this, I'm pretty sure you can join pocket holes with cabinet screws, but I would defer to other opinions.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've looked for cheaper screws and I haven't really found any that meet all the criteria you need for pocket hole screws. Everything I've found that's worth using is comparably priced to Kreg screws, so I just use Kreg screws.

Also, Kreg screws are square drive and that alone is enough to make me pay the extra for them.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
There are knockoffs, but it’s always hard to tell if you are getting something decent or complete crap.

If you buy the packs that are like 250 or 500 of one length screw they don’t seem that expensive, it’s the small boxes and variety packs that are insane.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I've taken to using GRK cabinet screws when it comes to 2 1/2 ones at least. You aren't going to save any money but personally I've always had issues with camout using Kreg's square drive screws despite that being one of the things square drive is supposed to be good at avoiding. I don't think they make the pocket deep enough and if you don't get just the right angle you can chowder the screw head pretty easily and I've noticed the longer ones especially tend to squirrel around a little as they go in making that difficult. The GRK cabinet screws are torx heads.

Milescraft is another alternative, they also use torx heads and are even a little bit cheaper, no idea about quality but I don't actually think the Kreg screws are anything special construction wise.

Oddly enough the best screws I ever used for pocket holes were #9 Simpson Strong-Tie SD screws I had leftover and used finishing up some shelving in a shed, if you have a thin walled 1/4 bit they just barely fit and the socket heads drive fantastic. Pricey though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The real trick is you need a long shaft bit to drive the screws deep enough, and the one in the kit has that square proprietary head. Just buy their screws, I say. 95% if your usage is going to be either the softwood 3/4 or 6/4 appropriate lengths, anyway.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Get a machinists lathe and a tap&die kit and make your own screws. Steel rod is cheaper than any box of screws!

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

So I spent the afternoon learning Sketchup to model the workbench I want to build. It's basically the Moravian workbench from here but modified for timber that I have easy access to, plus different vice hardware (that's what the bit on the left is). I'm pretty happy with the results, but would love it if people had feedback/suggestions.

More images here.
There's pegs to hold the bottom rails on, but I haven't modeled them yet.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Flea Bargain posted:

So I spent the afternoon learning Sketchup to model the workbench I want to build. It's basically the Moravian workbench from here but modified for timber that I have easy access to, plus different vice hardware (that's what the bit on the left is). I'm pretty happy with the results, but would love it if people had feedback/suggestions.

More images here.
There's pegs to hold the bottom rails on, but I haven't modeled them yet.

My only feedback is that will make an awesome bench. Actually, you may want to think about the tool well, seems to take away from the actual bench space. I've never had one on any of my benches, and can't say I would want one.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Or at least consider its depth vs your workspace. I see in the video yours matches his, and I'm sure it's fine, but others I've seen have been more like 20% of the total workbench area and yours looks more like 40%. I'm sure it's got its advantages that big, but if I were building it myself I'd probably keep the total width and expand the flat-top area by 2-3 board widths.

Either way, show us process/completion pics!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The obvious shortcomings of the moravian are:

Not enough benchtop (as stated above)

Its a knockdown bench that will come loose over time, requiring frequent re-tightening

Also I'm not sure what you are gaining by going with a quick release vise other than ease of construction? To each their own but I've grown to love leg vises.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

GEMorris posted:

Also I'm not sure what you are gaining by going with a quick release vise other than ease of construction? To each their own but I've grown to love leg vises.
What kind of leg vise do you have? I have a big wooden screw on mine and...I don't love it? It occasionally binds in humid weather, is kind of slow, and I hate bending down to adjust the peg (that's on me-probably didn't need to put that so close to the floor). I've thought about replacing it with a metal screw, but the fact that the jaws don't close parallel has caused problems for me on occasion too. I do love the size and with the sliding deadman between the legs of my roubo bench it is great for working on edge. I guess I like the concept better than I like my execution, so maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get a benchcrafted if they are really the bees knees?

I have an old quick release record as my end/tail vise and I really love it. Working with stuff flat and squished between bench dogs was kind of revolutionary. If I could only have 1 vise on my bench, it would be there at the end of the bench and give up the leg vise.

Thirding or 4thing whatever that tool wells are wasted space. Just pile all your tools up in a giant mess on the top of the bench like the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Preferring a tail vise over a face vise (leg or quick release) is certainly an unexpected take. Not saying your preferences are wrong, but based on your comments, have you used the combination of a planing stop and a does foot before? I ask because I went from "tail vise is critical" to "my next bench won't have a tail vise" after using that combo.