Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I hosed up my first attempts at a built in bookcase; I tried to apply Minwax poly+stain after sanding and ended up with a huge change in color from the start to the finish. Turned out that I hadn't stirred it properly. I'm redoing the project now, with these lessons learned.

It's a large project; basically I have to build and finish it in thirds, then install it in the library. I'm using Birch ply wood for the main construction because I like the "figure" on it, but I know that it turns out blotchy now, as well. I have big 4x8 1/4 inch sheets for backing and tall 8x1 verticals. I haven't finalized the trim idea but my wife and I love a darker almost Walnut color for the overall color.

I've read some guides but it's ridiculously hard to find guides that are beginner friendly; my current revised plan is to sand the ply wood to 120, clean with mineral spirits, treat with conditioner (?), Apply a gel stain, wipe off, then spray lacquer to finish.

The problem comes with technique and patience with the size. My technique isn't great and the large dimensions get hard to work around; I like the gel stain idea because it seems a bit more forgiving to apply to larger areas, and the spray on lacquer idea because I can find a decent gravity feed sprayer for my compressor easily and economically, and the application seems more forgiving.

Any tips, "if it were me" advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm rebuilding it because it was the latest and largest gently caress up in a series of smaller ones.

I chose the polystain because of other advice that it was nearly idiotproof, but it the finish was very uneven, even after stirring it properly. The color looked artificial and almost like a dry paint, not really dying the grain. I'll take pictures back home, but I'm away for the week.

Admittedly, my prep work sucked: I dont think I sanded well, i was trying to finish the pieces in place, so most of them were upright, and I was trying to brush it on but it would start to dry very quickly (I live in Las Vegas).

I tried using rags, too. I was using cut up cotton tees and I would only be able to rub on a couple square feet or so if stain before they would "go dry" and only minimally color the piece, but then adding more and gently overlapping left these doubly darkened areas where the stain was applied twice.

E: I decided to change up my methods for the rebuild because of this video. I would be working on the stain in the non air conditioned garage, and spraying in the 100+ degree Vegas sun, so I'm not worried about waiting for things to dry, I can let things rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyVPkqrNph0

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 29, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

JEEVES420 posted:

Just add a layer of veneer and stain again :downs:?

I don't even know where to get veneer it how to apply it.

Everything's been a learning experience. I'm not upset or anything just a bit frustrated because I'm trying to do something on my own that definitely takes patience and skill to accomplish, even with the right tools and the right knowledge.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Stultus Maximus posted:

Seconding that polyshades is pure garbage. So is Minwax gel stains.

For my larger pieces, I use Sherwin Williams Wood Classics, which isn't the greatest but it's a decent compromise between bottom shelf Minwax and higher end stuff like General that costs twice as much. I use General for smaller things.

General is pricy but for a once in a lifetime project it is the preferred choice? Worth the extra cash imo. Is there something readily available online or at the hardware store? I have seen Varathane available at the store, and General online and in some stores.

How much should I need? I've calculated the sqft total after rounding up a bunch to around 250 sqft. Quart? Gallon? Is gel a good choice or with the brand/stain only process change things?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 30, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Mambold posted:

That guy is an idiot and he's doing a tiny block of wood with a rattle can, not a full room size cabinet. However, he's indoor, which is where all stain should be applied imo, especially in Las Vegas, except maybe a fence. Unless there's no dust at all in your area. If you're going with lacquer, get a good respirator, some sort of big fan off to the side, and do it early in the loving morning or late when it's not so hot.

Lacquer is the most forgiving application for the wood, and the least forgiving for your brain, kidneys, lungs, and other parts which may or may not be replaceable. Also, for removing your original fuckup lacquer thinner will take off drat near anything, just use rags and go wild. Again, rubber gloves and breathing protection.
Buy an automotive gun like Kaiser and I both recommended and a gallon of lacquer stain (you won't need it all) sanding sealer, and topcoat. Apply it just like he said, like your arm is a robot. You literally spray the stain on and wipe it off with clean rags to the color you desire.

Lacquer stain would both protecting the wood and staining it too? What I'm getting at is it effectively halving the applications?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thanks for the advice. I have plenty of time to consider but lots to think about.

This seems more... Dangerous than I thought. My main workspace is my garage, which has a gas water heater in it. Is keeping the garage open a decent enough defense? If it is sketchy, then maybe some recommendations for safer options?

Sorry to be a pain but this is helping a lot before I waste more cash.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So I've decided to use General Wood finish gel stain and Arm-R-Seal based on further research. I'm not sure I'm crazy about spraying on lacquer especially with all the extra considerations.

Still going to be using Birch ply for the main construction, with hardwood trim. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and Spend the money on a better sander than a sprayer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So I realized a dangerous oversight on my bookcase plan. I am making 8 foot high by 1 foot deep verticals, and the widest bookcase is going to be 4 foot wide, all made with 3/4 inch ply.

My original plan was to screw the shelves into the verticals from the outside, but I think this could be dangerous as the shelves could split like an Oreo, causing the shelves to fail.

I don't have a router and I don't have a table saw; I'm planning on getting a miter saw soon. What are my options for joining the shelves to the verticals?

I'm planning on 24 total shelves and I'm an amateur, so to me a ton of dados looks daunting.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
When people are talking about using cleats I'm assuming you guys are talking about mounting those to the wall? Because I have quarter inch ply backing for these bookcases, and I don't think a cleat is going to attach those well.

This is an old draft I had for the project. The bookcases will be "built-in" (really just flush with three walls), and are 128" wide total; the new draft has it divided up into three individual bookcases that I can build and finish in the garage, and covering the gaps between them with the face frame.

So that's what I'm working with in terms of limitations. I'm not really in need of any of them being adjustable since the shelves are so large.

An idea that I had was using a 1-inch by 1-inch Square dowel on each side of the Shelf as a cleat for them to rest on. I think I could hide them with a slightly wider face frame.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 17, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah that's very close to what I've got planned, but my ceiling is like a whole 1.2 inches of variance so I'm leaving a big gap for my own sanity.

gently caress molding.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Mambold posted:

You should attach the backing to the shelves. like every 6 inches. Dadoes are optimal, but screws from the bulkheads (verticals ) would work.

Yeah the backing is getting glued and screwed down from the back (rabbet not needed since it's going to be against the wall). The facing is going to also have 1.5" shelf supports glued (brad nailed, maybe?) to the front of the shelves, as well, but that is less for structure and more to reduce sagging.

Are you saying that gluing and screwing the shelves in from the outside of the bulkheads and the backing would be sufficient for a no-cleat solution? I'm just worried about the shelves splitting over time.

A more costly solution would be to actually use hardwood 1x12 boards shelves but that's gonna get pricey real fast.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 17, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Mambold posted:

Cleats on the back would provide more support than screwing and gluing. They just do. But you may feel they distract from the cleanness of the look, and they're not absolutely necessary if you've got them supported from the back as previously mentioned, and the front also by nailing to vertical face frames. Fyi, it's almost impossible to use glue in this scenario without it smearing on your backing and causing stain issues later. So there's another case for cleats.

Ah I misunderstood. You're saying a cleat attached to the backing. Could I come from behind the backing to attach the cleats so that the screws aren't visible? What kind of screws would I use?

Mr. Mambold posted:

You don't use hardwood for shelving. The issue you're looking at is average weight of the books supported over what span before the shelves sag. In my experience, 24" span with cleats or backnailing and front vertical stile (face frame) will hold fine. And a 1 1/2" horizontal hardwood face rail on each shelf also stiffens from the front and makes it look like a nice shelf.

What is back nailing? Sounds like you mean the shelf is nailed from the backing, and I'm trying to minimize visible brads and screws.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, hm, 4' is longer than I was imagining, come to think. I'm guessing the issue is that the little pins will shear off if you put 4 feet worth of books on them?

I'm trying to avoid this

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I really want a hardwood face, and that's been part of the design from the start; I don't want to expose any layers of plywood.

So you're suggesting cleats on three sides (back, left and right) and the hardwood face rail to give the shelves maximum rigidity?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

3/4" solid wood is more attractive than ply especially if you have varying shelf dimensions and don't want to fuss with a frontpiece on each shelf to hide the laminations. You can also opt for a small brace mid-span that will be hidden when the shelf is full. If you have a full ply backing instead of opening through to the wall, tacking the shelf to the backing every 6" or so will give more rigidity than you think!

I did 3/4" solid wood shelves (enameled poplar, nothing too hard) with set gaps (no future adjustments) and after a couple failures/blowouts I found a secret weapon: exterior trim/siding screws. They're incredibly skinny, have a tiny head, and are 4"long. With an accurate pilot hole they will solidly anchor shelves to the verticals with no splitting and a tiny, easily filled dimple. Max span with heavy books is about 3' in the pic below and no sag. If you aren't worried about adjusting shelf height in the future I highly recommend them.

I'm mostly committed to ply since I have more availability for less money, i want a stained look, and I have to do a whole bunch of shelves. The front edge has always been part of the design -- Initially I was going to drop more dosh for a nicer hardwood face that matched our table (alder) but I've settled on something I can afford a second shot with.

My unqualified concern is that hardwood, even screwing into the edge of poplar, will grip better than into the edge of plywood.

I feel like glue would offset some of that but that's kinda why I'm asking around.

I feel better to brainstorm it out with y'all than gently caress it up again.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 17, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm having a hard time sanding this Birch ply wood from Home Depot.

I've sanded it down to 220 and I'm still getting little micro splinters that catch on rags and stuff. Do I need to go finer? Is there something I need to treat it with before sanding?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I live in Las Vegas.

We have whatever Home Depot sells.

There's also Peterman lumber but they will literally wait you out if the store if you aren't a contractor to help you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

JEEVES420 posted:

Best way to learn is to gently caress up, you will know exactly what you did wrong and how to do it right next time...and how to "fix" it (hide it, change it, etc).

The bookcases I am working on are now 63" tall instead of 64" to hide an extremely stupid mistake I made :downs:

Man I was so proud I routed most of my dados properly however...

That vertical is stained already because it USED to be a leftover, being used to test a finish, but due to a similar mistake, ended up being the one piece with the same dimensions as the other uprights. I measured the dado positions wrong, so I ended up two inches too high on all of them :doh:

Thankfully that stain is the color the wife decided on, so I don't have to buy a new sheet of plywood.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
One thing I wish I reconsidered was just spending up front for hardwood for the carcasses of my bookshelves.

They wouldn't be as straight as plywood without working, but I get the feeling they would have been more structurally sound, and easier to work with.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Mambold posted:

How about no. Don't 2nd guess this one.

Thanks friend

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

One more Christmas gift wrapped up. This is most of a 4x4x4 puzzle cube, made from cherry and finished with boiled linseed oil.

Puzzle cubes are pretty quick to put together -- make some square stock, put a 1/8" roundover on the edges, cut into cubes, roundover the remaining edges (carefully, since your fingers get close to the router bit), glue together with epoxy, apply finish.

The dinosaur models are taking a lot longer. I finished assembly of one of 'em though:

A few of the joints have a little slop in 'em (like that one rib that's misaligned), and I think I got one of the legs backwards, but the important thing is that it can be assembled, which means it's ready for finish to be applied. The second dino is close; I just need to test-fit all the joints and widen the ones that are too narrow. Thanks to the person that suggested using emery boards to sand off the excess material; it works perfectly.

And yeah, these models are something like 30" tall. I hadn't realized how big they were going to be.

Dude as a former dork Discovery Store kid, a giant three foot goddamn dino skeleton is exactly what I wanted.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like really figured wood, including blotchy stuff, over oak.

The 90s cabinet look here in Vegas that heavily leaned on the GOLDEN OAK look and all the cover ups are full of grain too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
One man's blotching is another man's figure.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

In that case I'd definitely recommend going the plywood route, just to keep things as simple as possible. Unfortunately for you, plywood is sold in 4'x8' sheets in the US, and your desired size is just slightly over half a sheet, so you'll need two full sheets cut down to your desired dimensions.

Typically Home Depots in my area have 4x4 sheets already cut down in most plywood thicknesses.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Super Waffle posted:

:drat: those came out nice. Love the walnut one

:yossame:

I thought they were renders if your plans at first.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Leperflesh posted:

if you haven't dremeled your initials into the battered steel body of your Stanley tape measure, then you must not have any thieving bastards friends sharing your workspace ever

but yeah bring your own tape measure nobody at HD gives a poo poo

You don't just borrow one from the shelf because you forgot yours at home every time???

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm a mere beginner, novice, nothing but this dude just made me feel like a complete jackass for completely missing simple solutions to lots of broke hobbyist problems.

He never pulls that poo poo where it's like "build this for $50*"

*video sponsored by the lumber company, walnut stock provided for free, let's use my $5000 CNC to do some quick cuts, or better yet, buy this specific tool instead of creating your own tools. We're going to hold this poo poo with $1000 in clamps alone.

This dude says screw that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlehVLUrPPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRJeDwN9Leg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhORUN6oCUc

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 1, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I visualized it like someone putting on layers of t-shirts. But I'm also an uninitiated idiot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
There's also low profile box springs and bunkie boards to be had relatively cheap online.

I used one to convert a cheaper bed with a missing center... spine? So I added a 2x4 cut to length along the centerline, added support legs to the 2x4, and glued and screwed some 2x2s along the inside of the frame to rest this frame on.

The mattress recesses into the frame a couple inches now, which holds it well, and the extra supports reinforced the bed much more than using a bare queen box spring did.

I'm not a woodworker and I'm sure there's easier, cheaper solutions, but it has held up pretty well to an overweight sleeper and their guests, and they're happy about not having to hop up on the bed at 4'11".

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 13, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Short beams bend less than long ones under load.

And correct me if I'm completely wrong on the why, but most slats have a convex bend upward to provide a little more spring and resist sagging.

I ended up buying the proper slatted frame because my initial self built slats ended up sagging just after putting the mattress on.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tres Burritos posted:

drat I'd never judge someone for saying, "I made that". It's so much work to do some of this so actually finishing something you set out to do is a great accomplishment.

"I bought that" on the other hand ...

I had that made!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pick projects that you want to work on and work on them. If you get stuck, ask questions and search the web. Read the manuals for your power tools and wear appropriate protective gear when using them (especially goggles and hearing protection, but a dust mask/respirator is also recommended for lots of tools).

I'm a novice and I've developed two sentiments about starting this hobby in particular:

1 - Every project will look easier than it is. This has been true for most of my projects, but I've only had a handful.

2 - I've cursed myself more than I've rewarded myself for being stubborn and impatient.

3 - I've cursed myself more than I've thanked myself for being cheap.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mikeycp posted:

what the gently caress

I, myself, was trying to solve a utilitarian problem and was not getting consistent results with hand tools, as a lot of it is technique.

Power tools make work look easy.

So now I can gently caress up much more efficiently than I did with hand tools!

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 18, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mikeycp posted:

that doesn't mean they suck! imo they're fun and very satisfying when you actually get something looking good on the other end!

Correct. But that's not fun hyperbole so....

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

"Why the hell does this dude have a corded 220v driv... oh."

When you absolutely have to get that hub off and neither gods nor rust can stop you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Mambold posted:

Idk a drat thing about larch though.

I found this video to be a great primer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0zVsxUbbjM

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That is venturing into a full-blown workbench, not that there's nothing wrong with that.

Don't envy you on moving day though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hasselblad posted:

Speaking of Fender. I am kind of disappointed with the Custom Shop Strat I got a while back, which now I notice has a visible seam where the wood of the body is joined.

Have you told them about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nettle Soup posted:

You guys got any idea on the age/origin/wood of this thing? Family heirloom bed that I am getting rid of because it's kinda impractical, not terribly comfortable and way too big for this house...

No offense, but you could probably do with a few more pictures of the hardware, screws, bolts, and any writing or labels, and close-ups of the grain.