Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Finally have some space to do woodworking - is there a reccomendation on a basics book? There are a lot of recs in the OP. Looking to do some info on basic jointing and finishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any free or cheap programs it there that helps you draw out woodworking plans?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Made some sawhorses today, I feel pretty accomplished

e: for a blurry picture

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 3, 2020

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I made a little table for our outside covered porch. What's a good finish to put on it to help with being outside?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Olothreutes posted:

I don't fully get the hatred for paint on something like pine you bought at home depot, I wouldn't paint over tropical hardwood or something though.

Ahem,

It was poplar from Lowes.

I'll probably leave it bare - thanks for the suggestions!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What's a reasonable price for used pipe clamps?

Found someone selling 12 clamps of various sizes for $165 but I'm not sure that's a reasonable price

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Do they include the pipes? Metal pipe adds significantly to the cost of pipe clamps.

Yes, depending on the clamp the pipes are 24-48"

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone know of a good place to source project wood from near Boston?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Reccomendation for a basic chisel set and a spokeshave?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

1/4" 1/2", 3/4" and 1" (6mm, 12mm, 20mm, and 26mm) the typical range for a starting set?

And then thoughts on a set with a storage box vs no storage?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone want to weigh in on what a reasonable price might be for the tools in this album? I bought some pipe clamps from a guy on CL a few weeks ago, and he has some other things he sent me pictures of. The clamps were a reasonable price, but I have no idea what might be a reasonable price for these.

https://imgur.com/a/OzbkSlx

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are the Wood River vises any good?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

Which one are you looking at? Wood River makes great tools, but for something like a vise, I don't know that their higher cost is worth it.

This one. My friend said he got the sales circular for July a few days early and it's going on sale for $99

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-9in-quick-release-vise

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Would poplar be an ok wood to use for a tenon wedge or should I use something harder?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I want to build some shelves next to our new stacked washer/dryer, but I'd like some advice on the best way to go about that. Free standing? Attach it to the wall?

There will be wall on two sides of the shelves, and the washer/dryer on the last side. There is a stud on the left side of the power outlet. Poor MS paint of what I want to do

The white plywood is from a shelf the PO put in, but I had to take it out in order to fit the stacked washer/dryer

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a recommended benchtop band saw?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I want to try making some jewelry/memento boxes - anyone have some recommendations for simple plans for a relative beginner?

e: something that is mostly hand tools, and not 2k in power tools

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 29, 2020

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm going to be making a raised bed for gardening. It'll be framed with 2x4 with corrugated roofing for the sides. Would a 15ga finish nailer with 2.5" nails have enough hold or should I just use screws?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Finished my first raised bed of two I'm making

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm fixing a door frame from an old deadbolt well - the new piece of wood is nice and snug in the chiseled hole I made - should I use a screw or something to hold it in while the wood glue dries?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

You need to keep pressure on the joint, so if you can't clamp it then a screw or two or some brads will help.

Thanks, tossed a few screws in. Can I take them out when the glue dries or should I just leave them in?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Looks like I'm going to be making some wood screen inserts and wood single pane storm windows for my basement windows because it's either that or replacement with vinyl (which will be hard because the window sizes are not standard).

A few questions:
1) Can anyone point me towards a wood framed screen design I might be able to use as.the basis for this project?
2) What kind of wood should I use for the frame of the storm window insert? I'll be painting it with exterior paint, with primer. Will pine work or should I use a hardwood of some sort?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I use pine with exterior paint and primer. I use bridle joints at the corners and just staple the screen on to the inside. For my storms, I rout a groove and caulk plexiglass to it.

Any particular caulk you use?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I primed a window sill while I was reglazing the repainting the sash. While I had the Sash out I had a piece of plywood covering the window opening. Will I be able to put the plywood back in the hole without having the paint stick to the plywood, if I give it 3 hours or so to dry? The sash still isn't finished being painted, and the sill still needs the final paint on it, so far I've only primed it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm making a shelf out of sapele (someone was giving it away on Facebook for free). What finish would you all recommend?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've never used BLO but know it can be a fire danger. How do I use it without burning down my house

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm going to be making a trestle table and I have some questions about the top.

Can I do a glueup of boards and not do a breadboard? Table is going to be fairly small, 30"-34" x 54"-60". I haven't decided the final dimensions yet but I'm playing with different sizes in the space to see what works before I start making it.

How thicc should the top be? is 1" ok, or does it need to be thicker? I'm planning on doing a hardwood top and a pine bottom, some sort of trestle table.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

1 inch is plenty thick for a table that size. Do you need breadboards? Depends on if the table will forever live in a climate controlled house. If you can alternate the growth rings the chances of it cupping significantly are minimized. Do account for expansion across the width in any case.

Is there a type wood you'd recommend?

As far as accounting for expansion, how is that done if not with breadboards?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

It sounds like you're going for a rustic farmhouse kinda look. White oak (red on a budget) would look very handsome with a painted white trestle base.

For fastening the top to your base I like z clips or figure 8 fasteners.

I was planning on gluing some blocks on the bottom of the table and using a dowel to hold it in place so that I can knock the dowel out to break down the table. I got the idea from this video

https://youtu.be/F-SxsnG7CLc

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are new production hand planes any good?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm making a trestle table and attaching the top to the legs with figure 8s - what length screw should I use to attach the tabletop? It was 15/16 wood, planed a bit. 3/4? 1/2?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm making trestle table with a pine bottom and cherry top. I'm going to paint the bottom.butnim trying to figure out how to finish the top. BLO and poly clear coat?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

One q about making a table from a butcher block. Do I need to sand it or anything? e.g. blunt the corners? I really don't wanna accidentally cut myself on my own coffee table :v:

I just made a tabletop and I sanded down the edges to round it over. After I did that it really came together. You could also use a plane or a router with a round over bit.

You'd probably want to sand the top to smooth it out as well

Also, had you considered hairpin legs? Those might work

If you're still in Boston area and need any help/tools let me know

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 31, 2021

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My parents left this gorgeous dining table in their barn through a wet Massachusetts summer and now it's covered in this stuff. Is it mold / is the table permafucked? (Note the Stendig chairs, which luckily don't seem to have any mold on them and which I am taking out of there asap.)

If you have plaster basement ceilings it's from the ceiling

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm putting the finish on my cherry tabletop. I'm doing 4 coats of Satin Arm R Seal, and I talked to an employee at woodcraft and he recommended putting Osmo Polyx-Oil over the armor seal, and applying it with a 0000 pad on an orbital sander. I tried to find something online about doing a finish that way but so far I haven't been able to find anything. Would that work? I was going to try it on the bottom before I did it on the top. How long after the last coat of Arm R Seal should I wait to apply it?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks, just put the third coat of satin on so I'll rub it out and leave it like that.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm making a table and painting the bottom pine. I did white semi-gloss because it's what I had but it's too glossy. Can I paint over semi-gloss with satin/eggshell? It's Benjamin Moore Ben internal semi-gloss

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

A friend of mine was going through his grandfather's tools and found a #7 jointer that based on the markings they think is a Type 2, so ~ 1870s manufacture. Super cool

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm making a coaster/trivet for my desk because the one I have doesn't have enough absorbing capacity for how humid it gets sometimes. I'm using pine - is there a finish I can put on it that will still allow it to absorb water freely while making it look a bit nicer than plain pine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

To be clear, the coaster is made of scrap wood so I don't care too much about it