Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Echoing the compliments - that’s really beautiful work.

On the other hand I think the internet may have broken me because my second thought looking at the birds was ‘they need googly eyes’. I’m sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Ezhash posted:

I second this, I would also clean up your shed if you're really bored. I found myself in a similar situation and picked away at cleaning a bit each day while doing other things and now my shop is more organized and I generally enjoy being in there more. Started up a few projects this week and i'm actually looking forward to working on them.
IF you're anything like me you'll think about it, or look at it and it'll seem too overwhelming and give up before you begin. When I try to do 'something' and end up not doing it the giving up reinforces the sense of failure that saps motivation.

Set a time limit of 30 minutes and see how much of the shed you can clean up in that. Just 30 minutes, no more, you can handle that. And plan a reward for when you're done - Cookie, cup of coffee, whatever.

When you're done you'll be able to see a difference no matter how small and then you can take another 30 minutes and do another bit.
A short focused task tricks your brain into thinking 'all i aimed to acheive was 30m worth and I've done that'. And the bonus is you'll probably get more done than you expected to so that helps shut up the nagging voice as well.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
D’oh wrong image and now I can't remove it... seriously, where's the option to remove an image?

Mod edit: I have removed your weird foot fetish imagery

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 7, 2020

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
In case anyone hasn’t already seen it: https://youtu.be/Sx2y7MAys20

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 7, 2020

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Been watching the Tally Ho build from the start, I think SV seeker maybe mentioned it.
Leo should make keyfobs or something out of scraps of the live oak as merch.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I can tell it’s not mine on account of the Liberian measurements. But that’s the only reason.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

sounds like you need a lathe.

To be fair that’s true in almost every case.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
This is a bit wood-adjacent but I don’t know where else to ask; I’ve made a small fibreglass sheet covered plywood boat and I’m at the endless sanding stage.

I just can’t tell by eye if it’s smooth enough, is there something I can do to... tint (?) the next coat of resin that’ll make it easier to see the smoothness that won’t mess up the water resistance and finish?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

Can we keep it to woodworking in here? I had to check what thread I was in.

I presume woodworking and tortoises was taken as read? :kiddo:

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Super Waffle posted:

Shelf Update:

Crown molding is complete. Next step is to button up the bottom shelves and trim. After that its the baseboards, then finally the four trim pieces for the front of the standards. Then maybe it'll stop looking like a pile of construction lumber.

That looks good - did you drill all the holes for the adjustable shelves and buy the... dowel pins(?) somewhere?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

She's started using the shelf already:

But not yet the ramp. I'll give it a few days but if she doesn't use it as-is I'll need to add traction. I'm thinking of applying stick-on velcro and then applying carpet squares to the velcro: I want a solution that I can change or replace over time, especially if I use carpet which will shred and wear out every couple of years.

Don’t count on it. My 15yo cat would go from floor to desk to sill in one movement, possibly keeping eye contact the whole time. Still looks good tho.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Have you looked at the scrap wood challenge yt channel - might give you some ideas.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Granite Octopus posted:

His projects are great. Some are pretty ambitious though so might be off-putting to a newcomer.

You can do it Vier, I believe in you random stranger!

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Theres some decent 3d printable designs for a router base if thats your thing.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Uthor posted:

I ended up with shims as Lowes didn't have the right strip, the drawers aren't exactly dimensionally even, and it gave me a little adjustment should stuff not be straight. I had plenty of access from the back, so that wasn't an issue. Worked great.

It's functionally complete, though I wanna drive a handful of additional screws.

There's a bunch of ugly parts when you look close. I figure I'll either fix or remake in the future.

I got the drawer slides and some router bits from McMaster. My mom gets a discount and $10/pair for the drawer slides was a steal! I need to use her for more of my tool purchases, especially consumables.

Things I learned:
-I'm just as bad at cutting straight with a circular saw as I am with a hand saw.
-Building fencing is a necessity, but I need to get better at it.
-I bought some 1" angle to use as fencing, but it was way too flexible to work. Shame, I thought it was a good idea.
-I ended up buying a cheap router to make dados and it was super fun (and scary for one brief moment when it kicked on me).
-That all the drawers came out square is a minor miracle.
-I really want a tablesaw and should invest in one if I wanna do more like this in the future.

I'm trying to decide on how to finish it. I have mostly black/dark bookcases from Ikea, so I'm thinking a really dark stain on the main cabinet. The issue is the exposed edges of the plywood: I think they may look ugly with stain. Does anyone have a good solution for this? Should I bother getting some trim pieces or something?

I'm thinking about painting the drawers as I like the idea of having them white, at least on the inside. But that probably would look like poo poo with a stained cabinet.

I'm probably going to be out of town for a while, so I have some time to think about it.

Might be worth considering putting a back on to counteract any racking. Looks good though.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
You can get brown butyl on a roll - it’s like a glazing putty. Already the right colour and doesn’t set like silicone so you can take as long as you like to persuade it into place. I’m not saying the other suggestions are bad, Just another option.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
If we say yes will you promise to document it when your friend loses an arm to it?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
‘Oh my beloved wife, it’s either a backing board or, if you like, I could use this special pocket hole tool. It’s costs a bit but it’s worth it if it makes you happy’

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

I’m not knocking him because that looks brilliant but I’m fairly sure the all extrusion bits there cost more than the saw.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

(Please help, Elf on a Shelf for the 5th year in a row has broken my brain...)

Heh, a friend With kids does the elf on the shelf thing. This year it’s in a big jar quarantining for the first 14 days cause of the Covid.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Has anyone ever seen a saw like that set it into something like a 1” plywood toppped bench to make a bigger more rigid work surface, maybe even extending the T slots?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Bet she’s expecting it to cost $40-$50.

Go with your gut, if that’s what you think it’ll take to make it worth your while then stick with it.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

MetaJew posted:

I found this, but $120 is way more than I want to spend, but the idea is neat, and probably could be accomplished with some basic drawer slides and plywood. The plexiglass would be more of a pain without a CNC or laser cutter, though. I would also need more than one of these, I think.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4N0SIC/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_4368549507

You could swap the plexiglass for bent metal rod. Steel, aluminium or brass comes in small diameters that you can make a tool to bend nice square corners in. Wire baskets is a bit more kitchen cupboard aesthetic anyway imo.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Pictures of the plane? Someone will be able to tell you if it’s a good ‘un and worth restoring/sharpening. (It probably is)

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Especially now that Bosch do inserts that let you use normal 250mm blades and not the propriety size Evolution chose.

Oh rly? Have you more info - I’ve been offered the cheaper evolution table saw for free but it’s got a gently used blade.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I have a 1/4 folding card table that’s octagonal and felt topped, it just sits on top of the dining table. Works well - protects the table, gives the evening a gaming feel and it’s easy to store.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

Nice use of the family wood

Thread title

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Rub a candle on the runners, repeat as necessary

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Oil filled electric radiator might put out enough heat to keep the chill away and is pretty safe in a no exposed elements or flames way.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Does it need a liner? It’s purpose in life was to store liquid.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

bobua posted:

A lot of the draw of festool is user comfort too.

Soft start, quieter motors, better dust collection, inline power, lower vibration... not the sort of things you pay extra for when buying tools for other people to use.

Which again makes sense if you’re going to be using it in someone’s finished home instead of a building site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Ok if lasering is legit I made some game box inserts that, despite boxes.py and the laser doing the work, I am pleased with…

Only registered members can see post attachments!