Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Doing a mockup in 2x4s sounds like a great idea, thanks! And yeah, making the legs extend further towards the narrow end would help with stability quite a bit. As for the plumb bob trick...do you have any other context? Just searching for "plumb bob tip over" isn't turning up anything that looks relevant.

The main other issue that concerns me is how best to connect the feet to the leg. I think a pair of bolts for each foot passing through the leg board and into the opposite foot would probably do it, at the cost of leaving visible bolt holes. I'm not sure I'd want to trust glue to this job, though, especially given the weird angles at play.

It'll tip over if the center of mass (the point on which it balances) is not over the base—I'm guessing the plumb bob trick involves dropping a bob down from the center of mass and making sure it's inside the rectangle formed by the feet. The farther from the edges of the rectangle your center of mass is, the more margin you have for it to remain upright when pushing it/stacking books on the far end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

korora
Sep 3, 2011
Using a magnet in the center is always going to make the structure unstable under load because all of the forces decrease as the top moves downward—the air gap is increasing and the wires are relaxing. Also, don’t forget to account for the tension in the outer wires when you compute the force on the center member. You need the outer wires to be tensioned to provide stiffness and stability, which has to be balanced at the center.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I've never used a track saw either but from what I've seen and read, they tend to be plunge cut and the saw is attached to the track, and set up so that the edge of the track is your cut line so you just plop the track's edge on your line and zip zip, whereas if you're using a circular saw with a straight edge you need to do more measurements to line it up (in my case, the straight edge has to be 4 7/8 inches away from the line, yes I made a template to speed up that alignment).

Also the tracks tend to have grippy stuff on the bottom so you don't need to clamp or anything.

And also they have way better dust collection, but the big difference IMO that you don’t appreciate until you use one is they have speed control, so you get a much cleaner cut (and soft start is nice too).

korora
Sep 3, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I considered that design but one of the constraints is that they wanted copper spindles (with visible edge birch plywood), so I'm putting the dowels inside 1" copper pipes. That means I can't access the wood to put the cross pins in.

I'm inserting the ends of the dowels into shallow forstner drilled mortise holes, and each pin within goes from one dowel through part of the shelf's thickness, into the other dowel, and then glued up. Hence the need forgot straight accurate pin holes.

If I were to do it over again from the beginning, I might do things differently, but the copper is cut and buffed, the shelves are routed and drilled, and so this is where I am.

Why not have single piece dowel with copper sleeves only between the shelves? You could drill out your mortises to the dowel diameter and use the copper pipe pieces you already cut as essentially big spacers between shelves and they’d take some of the vertical load.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Danish oil is just very very thin polyurethane.

Are you sure this is true of the Tried and True Danish oil? The packaging + SDS suggests it’s linseed oil.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

GEMorris posted:

My fav budget try plane option is the LV #6 and the LV Small Bevel Up Smoother. I own both and think they are great, but I won't argue that a LN #7 would make a better try plane.

Can you comment on the small vs regular bevel up smoother? I‘ve had my eye on the latter because the blades are interchangeable with the low angle jack plane (which I have) but I’ve also seen you recommend the SBUS a lot in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

korora
Sep 3, 2011

El Spamo posted:

I have learned firsthand why hickory is a synonym for being hard and ornery.

All but the thinnest of bites along the grain with a router just splinters out like crazy. One one hand it makes for a really textured and varied finish but goddamn a simple chamfer is just all over the place.

That and sanding it is hard as balls. I think once I use up the hickory boards I have I won't get more. As pretty as it can be, it's so hard to work with that it's not really worth the trouble for me.

Yeah, we put hickory floors in our kitchen. I spent a whole day sanding on 60 grit and still have a few low spots I missed. It is really pretty though, I made this salt cellar as a gift this past Christmas using leftover floorboards.

e: Also—try a card scraper instead of sanding

korora fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 19, 2022