Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
So a few months back I made a coffee table out of some brazilian cherry flooring that I had laying around. Everything was fine, until I stored it in a basement that got *very* humid due to a little bit of flooding. Now the top is all bowed and hosed up.

The construction of the whole thing is essentially a piece of plywood onto which I screwed the leg/shelf assembly, and then glued the top boards on. Basically the plywood bowed down the middle, lengthwise. Would screwing some sort of brace into the bottom of the plywood suck it back down, or should I just let it stay bowed, and sand/plane the top flat?

(Edit: I can't work imageshack, 'cause I'm dumb, so picture attached below. Excuse the dust.)

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Ta-da?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

That looks to be the newest version of the model I bought a couple years ago, and I've loved it. I am just a hobbyist, not a contractor or anything, but I have absolutely no complaints with it at all. Used it extensively on 3/4" brazilian cherry, and it never slowed down.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

wormil posted:

I find Lowes to be more logically organized but otherwise, not really.
Can we all agree that Menards are the most illogically organized stores on earth? I don't know if it's every Menards, but the couple near my house are absolute chaos. Aisles going in every direction, intensely vague signs, and just baffling placement of their stock. Sawzall blades are like 3 aisles away from the sawzalls, work gloves are nowhere near the aisle that is apparently meant to be the 'personal safety' aisle, etc.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I certainly wouldn't go to Home Depot with any expectation of knowledgeable employees, but the chain itself, at least in my area, is pretty indispensable.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Anubis posted:

Eeesh, that's an "interesting" fence you got there, anytime you move it your going to have to be super careful about how it's positioned.
I had a router table with the same type of fence. Worst goddamn design ever.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

theitguys posted:

Maybe it's because I was drunk when I saw the commercial, but I want this seeing as I have no saws to speak of. Tell me it's as useless as all the other infomercial crap so I don't buy it.

https://www.rockwellbladerunner.com/
All I know is, the video is funny when you watch it without sound

DANGEROUS

BOTH HANDS

I could see it being vaguely useful to someone who owns no other tools, but it's basically a tool that is capable of performing tasks that other tools do well, poorly. They show it being used to make miter cuts, but I wouldn't trust my unsteady hands to make a perfect miter cut. They show it ripping a piece of lumber, which would take *forever* and again, without a fence, probably not be the straightest rip ever. Might be a decent enough imitation of a bandsaw, but I'll let a bandsaw goon correct me on that. And then there's the other classic informercial catch - Even assuming it's a good idea, is it quality built? Probably not

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 22, 2010

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

GEMorris posted:

If you happen to be in the Raleigh, NC area, the Knightdale Home Depot has two of these in stock, for $130, on a clearance marked end-cap near the tools section.

Speaking of Home Depot, look what else got clearanced and followed me home:

Not exactly a "fine woodworking tool" and it is a display model, but for that price I couldn't resist.
I have the same model and have been happy with it, although admittedly, it's not a tool I use super frequently.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Guitarchitect posted:

It could be Ipe, too - that stuff is a bit oily and hard as a rock. But cumaru is definitely the lighter of the two. In any case, if it's either of those that's one fancy palette you've got there.
Of course, it's only fancy when it gets to the other side of the world where that wood is less common

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Blistex posted:

NO! These things are a waste of time, gas, wood, and money. They do not work as advertised and I've yet to meet one person who has had a good experience with these hunks of junk. The best thing to do is to find someone with a sawmill and give him the hangdog-look or some money so he'll cut the wood for you.
Obviously the answer is to build one yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyvGCibr7ms

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 10, 2012

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

e: Oh man, you changed the video. The first one was waaaaay better for the crazy factor. Here, I'll post it myself because it was hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sPu_TcUtyU

ee: Well, looks like you at least posted another video from the same guy. What a nut!
Sorry to switch it up on you - I actually have always thought the bandsaw version seemed scarier, and that's what I thought I had linked to. His videos were super popular in GBS for awhile, and I have sunk a ridiculous amount of time into watching them. I think your assessment of his crazy ratios is fairly accurate.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

null_pointer posted:

Is there a formula or a method to cutting crown moulding without a miter box that will allow me to keep my sanity?
You could theoretically get away without a miter box by doing a straight cut on one piece and mitering/coping the adjacent piece. If I am thinking about it correctly, the coping would make the precision of your miter less important, allowing you to more or less eyeball the cut.

But it would be a lot easier to buy a cheap miter box. Or use those corner transition blocks that they make for miter-less corners.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Tool question time!

I've been building up a simple home shop to work on odds and ends, but I'm still lacking a table saw. I have a very limited space, and the bulk of a decent table saw keeps putting me off, as essential as it is. So far I've been able to come up with alternative methods to build simple things, but I'm hitting a capability wall pretty fast.

I've got a one car garage to work with, and it already has too much stuff. I'm renting the place so I can't make any serious modifications, and I also can't remove some of the stuff that's filling it up.

My main questions is: is a tablesaw so important that I should find or make a way to shoehorn it in? If I get a fairly small one, will I be giving up so much power and table surface that it isn't worth it?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TXSAHU

This might be a better option for people with space issues. Or a couple clamps and a straight edge.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Do you trust yours enough to use for important jobs, or was it more a fun project that won't be replacing your bubble levels?

Looks great

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Blistex posted:

We have this saw as my school. The kids and I loath it.

It's crazy loud.
Dumps sawdust in your crotch if you are pulling work through.
Table top is tiny.
It's 99% plastic.
The stand is flimsy as hell
The fence can "hop a tooth" if you bump it just right and get out of alignment.
Underpowered when ripping 2x4's or hardwood.
If you're using it on a finished cement floor, you'll be pushing it all around the shop.
Extension cord is too short.
Off switch is not as conveniently located as it appears (table top hangs over it a fair bit).
Blade angle guide is really more of a suggestion.

Then again this is probably true of every portable jobsite saw out there.
I have this model (a model from a few years ago at least) and actually really like it. The difference may be that I have never used a proper shop/cabinet table saw, but the Dewalt has done everything I have asked it to do as a weekend project guy. My fence stays put, and square, and I have never really noticed it to be underpowered. Used it last weekend to turn some maple 1x6 into thresholds, and it handled it nicely. The small top is a pain at times, but it's hard to criticize on a portable.

Oh, angle guide is totally off. By like two full degrees.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 3, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

jvick posted:

Are both of those RX-7s?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562990&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

His ongoing thread in ai, if you are interested in the cars

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I am trying to refinish the doors in my house, but I have hit a dead end. The doors are recessed panel, with a roman ogee edge around each panel. Today, I spent about an hour using a little wood carving tool and a rolled up sheet of sandpaper to sand the ogee detail, and *thought* I had at least half-assed it enough that it might pass muster. However, when I stained it, the edge didn't really take any stain.

A) I'm an amateur, but it honestly looked like I had gotten down past all the poly to bare wood - Why wouldn't it have taken stain?
B) Holy hell, is there a better way to do this?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Frogmanv2 posted:

Try a sanding sponge. Or maybe one of those sanding mop type things that you stick in a drill.

Edit : or get a detail sander. I have a metabo dse 300 that would do the job. Maybe a multitool with sander attachments?
A sanding sponge is a brilliant idea. I had looked at the mops, but they seem pricey and I am not clear on how long they last. Seems like it could get expensive really fast.

I was also looking at videos of how to make a custom profile sanding block, but I am not sure it would work on such a small scale of detail - The videos I saw seemed aimed at sanding large pieces like crown.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Got another question about refinishing old doors.

Why am I putting myself through this?

But also, when I am using the belt sander on the doors to remove the poly, the poly keeps getting sort of gummed up, and I end up with long streaks of gummy goo all over the door, and then the belt gets all gummed up and useless. Am I correct in thinking this is related to the belt getting too hot, or does old poly just do that? Any way to avoid it?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Stultus Maximus posted:

Add in wood windows and all the frames and I'm right there with you :(
Oh yeah, I am doing every bit of trim in the house as well. 3-piece 7" oak base, casing, doors, window jams. I have given myself a little respite, in that I will only do the windows themselves at the very end, and only if I have it in me. They are hidden behind blinds, so gently caress it.

Thankfully the belt sander has had no issue with any of the trim so far. Just the doors for whatever reason.

And whoever suggested a steel brush for detail work earlier - You are a wonderful person.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I am gonna be setting up a 125 gallon aquarium soon, and the stand doesn't have adjustable legs, so I am gonna need to fix that. Anyone have recommendations for affordable heavy duty (1500 lbs) adjustable legs?

For reference, I am currently considering something like these - http://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-lifting-leveler but need something a bit beefier.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 29, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I did demolition for 7 years and didn't wear respirators/dust masks as often as I should have (nobody in the company did). Slowly I started getting more sensitive to dust of any sort, and now *need* to wear a respirator for any woodworking or I quickly get a sore throat and a cough. My lungs have been xrayed and auscultated and given a clean bill of health, but yeah, don't be me.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I have some old boards (one by) that I want to rip down and use to build a picture frame similar to this -

I am stumped as to how to build it though. Just a ton of half laps? That seems... Tedious. Someone tell me the really easy way that I am overlooking please.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I might not catch your meaning - Dadoes to hold the glass in place, or for the actual frame assembly? I was planning the former, but can't really picture how the latter would work. Essentially just a dado cut into the side of every member, and then tenons as needed?

For now I am thinking half laps in a few spots to give the whole thing a bit of structure and then just glued butt joints where I feel lazy.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

wormil posted:

broad hatchet
Were they out of men's hatchets at the store?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

revmoo posted:

I'm not really very good with woodworking, but I'm welding together a sort of an end table for my living room to house all my electronics and I'm having trouble finding the wood I need for the top. What I want is a single piece of wood 22"x22" in half-inch thickness. I'm not overly concerned with the type of wood as long as it's flat and true without knots and can take a stain. What I'm finding is that all of the online wood suppliers only sell planks, not boards. Home Depot is the same situation. The only single pieces large enough that I've found have all been plywood. I'm trying to avoid the hassle of using veneer+ply, and I'd also rather not have to use multiple planks to make up the top.

There's an 84 Lumber in town that I'm guessing would sell such things but they're extremely inconvenient for me to get to so I'd rather order online if possible. Is there any place that I can buy these larger pieces online? Have I been looking in the wrong places?

Home Depot should sell laminated pine boards that should be big enough for your purposes, at least the ones near me do. The misunderstanding here might be that the size of board you are looking for doesn't really exist. Table tops are either veneer, plywood, or laminated planks - That is, planks glued together. Past a certain width, maybe a foot or so, a single board would start warping and bending.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

I wear a full body condom when I'm in the shop.

Well yeah, who's gonna take the time to remove their leisure wear every time they step into the shop? You'd burn through talcum powder way too fast.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

In lieu of finding thinner maple to use for a little dovetail box project, can I rip some inch thick stock down in my table saw, or will that result in warping down the line?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Geop posted:

As someone who is more starved for clamps than most, I'm thinking of jumping on this :staredog: What do the more experienced folks think? I think I see some longer clamps on here that look to be ~$100+ by themselves; not sure what the smaller blue things are on the lower part of the second pic, on the right.
I mean, it's a start at least.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Decided to try dovetails for the first time, and not having a dovetail saw figured 'eh, my coping saw will probably work fine'.

It did not.

I get that it is a hard to quantify question, but will a cheap dovetail saw give me better results, or is the fault more likely in the user than the saw?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The Dave posted:

We're refinishing a mantle and I'm wondering if anyone has any tools they recommend to get in the corners and cracks. Because at this point it feels like it's never going to be done.

Whatever was on it didn't really respond to paint stripper so we've hand to sand most of it.

Stripper plus a wire brush is great for corners and grooves. Just use a light touch.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Mobile carpentry shop aside, how does she get out of that little cockpit thing?
A woman's place is in the cockpit bubble, she doesn't need to get out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

I mostly use my belt sander for cutting boards.
drat man, you should invest in like, a saw.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

They should make a device like the clapper, but it only responds to soul-rending screams of pain and terror.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Corla Plankun posted:

From a machine learning standpoint, it would be really hard to differentiate pain and terror from normal, everyday router noises.

Can't decide if it's horrifying or comforting that machines can't identify terror.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Is it as horrifying as I'm picturing when a bandsaw blade snaps?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

All my joints are just wrapped in electrical tape.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Anyone have a set of plans for a small box that they'd recommend for a beginner that might result in a box worth giving as a gift? I get that this is fairly google-able, but I figured someone here might have a good suggestion.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

wormil posted:

Actually the Wood Whisperer has several excellent videos ...
here are 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vfYSjiECRk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LREBFMFyu4w
Awesome, the second one looks perfect. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Why are mommy and daddy fighting

In totally unrelated news, my shop is finally getting electricity come Thursday. In the mean time, I'm putting a floor in the attic to make some usable storage space. So much room for activities!

What uh, kinda bench you planning on putting in there?