Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Graniteman posted:

It's a JP0610 jointer, which sells new for $600 or so. It's not a bench top model, but the bed is still only like 40 inches long. So the guy is selling it for about half of the new price, which seems typical for craigslist tools around here. Not an amazing deal, but I'd been eyeing that jointer.

I think I'll probably build a jointer sled for my planer instead. Then I can face joint much wider stock than any jointer I'm likely to ever buy.
I have the Jet version that's nearly the same thing and it can do 6 foot boards no problem if you're a little careful not to let it tip as it gets to the end of the board. If you haven't seen this method of face jointing wide boards it's pretty helpful for these 6" jointers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmSjlXJ2fg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Super Waffle posted:

So I've redesigned my idea for some art-deco style built-in book shelves. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Something about it just feels off to me and I can't figure out what.

Yes I realize that capital piece is drat near impossible to make shy of a CNC, need to think about that one more.

Unless there's something specific going on the top shelves, making those shelves at different heights would probably help since the other shelves are also not a fixed distance apart. Also how thick are the shelves in this? You can beef them up visually with a trim piece in the front, which I think make shelves look nicer and more substantial than just a typical 1x material (with the side benefit that you can use plywood and this acts as your edgeband).

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Elem7 posted:

Since we're on the subject, any reason I should rethink buying a Laguna 14/BX bandsaw in 240v? Is there a better option I've overlooked in that $1500 range? Keeping in mind the 12x14 capacity Is the 3/4 blade width going to be a problem resawing lumber?

Technically I have one on order already from a local dealer but I placed the order a month ago and still have no ETA. Laguna themselves said they have none available in country and are waiting for new stock from overseas, presumably a side effect of COVID disrupting supply chains.

It can escalate, I had wanted to do this relatively cheaply as it's not my only hobby and I spend a limited amount of time on it as a result but the limited supply of used machines available where I live has me all of a sudden spending more on a bandsaw than I spent on the entire rest of my shop, over 3x what I spent on my table saw. (the Delta from Lowes)
Do they have the 120v/1.75hp version in stock? I have that version, and have never felt like I was missing anything in not having the extra HP, even on wide 10+ inch red oak/ash resawing, which I do infrequently and not in large amounts. I had a few issues with my saw out the box, and Laguna support sent a free Resaw King which has been amazing.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I've had a nice elm slab that has been sitting on hairpin legs for a few years now, and thought it deserved something a little nicer, so I made a Nakashima style base out of 8/4 cherry. It came out pretty good, and I was able to add a tiny hidden 1" tall drawer just under the top for remote controls and coasters. This was a pretty fun build--surprisingly not too difficult given that almost nothing is 90 degrees, but needed to plan the order of cuts carefully to avoid cutting something was going to be used as a reference surface later.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Rutibex posted:

I am seconding the request for cheap table saw advice. I really need to stop trawling Amazon Warehouse deals, but I just couldn't say no to this price:

Fence related:
Check the fence for flatness as well. It's really nice to know just how far out a cheap fence will skew if you lock it down from different angles, like does it straighten itself up when you lock it down, or is it an accidental taper jig? It's also nice to know just how much force it takes to knock it out of alignment if you run your board into it a little too hard which is really helpful to know when you're batch cutting and wondering why half the boards are a good 1/16" fatter than the rest

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
A 6' steel angle can still flex a bit in the middle, seconding that anyone with a table saw and a dado can do this in no time and it's not much trouble for them to do. If you enlarge the holes for the screws going into the knob a little, even if you are a bit out of square, you can shift the whole thing a little bit within the t-track. If using an edge guide on each side of the table, please first check that the table is same width across the whole thing as a sanity check.

Another option that skips the t-track entirely would be to make a lip on one edge of the boat hanger (like with an angle bracket) that goes over one side of the worktable, and the knob goes in horizontally into a lip on the other side of the table, so it self-squares against the table when you tighten that side down, instead of coming into t-tracks down through the top. Since this isn't locked into place with t-tracks, if you move it a lot it could go way out of square if you aren't careful.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Rutibex posted:

It will not lock into any angle very tight at all, especially 90 degrees.
send it back, if it can't even stay locked at 90 it's totally worthless

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Wallet posted:

Any advice/insight would be much appreciated.
These install pretty easily and make good knockdown connections if you have plunge router and chisels, and are nice because they are completely hidden: https://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-wrought-steel-bed-rail-fasteners-4-pack-select-size I put a dowel in the stretchers so they are screwing into something other than just end grain.

If you can get cheap cherry, why not just cherry and no stain? It has a nice mid-range color that won't seem too out of place against either light or dark nightstands

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
My neighbor gave me a book on Mission style furniture and I found a great deal on some Craigslist walnut so I made a Mission inspired desk with curved rails and stretchers. I got the idea for the spindles overlapping the rails from a similar mission style Kobeomsuk desk and it really looks sharp. The two back rails are pretty wide because they have hidden bed rail hardware, set just snug enough that they need a light tap with a mallet to seat fully and keeps it from racking, but still moveable in 5 pieces. One thing I did differently than usual was to do a light chamfer on all the corners of the legs instead of a slight roundover and it looks really good--mostly I wanted to play with my new spokeshave but I think I'll keep doing that on a lot of things in the future, it catches the light really nice compared to a softer roundover, the corner looks crisp but feels smooth.

HolHorsejob posted:

On the topic of jigsaws and the like, how useful is a jigsaw? What can it realistically do? Can you cut curved profiles in 4/4 HW or 3/4 BB?

And is a bandsaw useful for cutting profiles without a drill press to relieve corners? Can a cheap bandsaw be tuned well enough to resaw?
Mostly for house projects, but it's my go to tool for breaking down larger boards (no miter saw), or where it really shines when you need to cut the middle out of something. A decent battery powered one is pretty handy, but I never used my previous cheapo corded Black & Decker very much.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

bobua posted:

Wife's side table request. poplar, bb, black walnut.

https://imgur.com/gallery/e7gsHXU

This looks fantastic, I love the detail on the leg attachments

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
For a first workbench, I think something put together fast and cheap with construction screws and straight/flat 2x4/2x6's with a solid core door or a couple layers of ply/mdf works well enough until you have a good idea of what you want down the road (if you even want to upgrade from that). Building a bench when you don't have a bench is not very fun, and you don't want to spend a lot of time and material to make something only to find out it doesn't work out so well in your space (like what if you make the bench 8 feet long and can only realistically fit 6' in your space?). Put a vise on it.

That English joiner's bench looks pretty good too and doesn't seem too hard to make as a first bench, as long as you can get the boards flat

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

NomNomNom posted:

As a mostly power tool user who dabbles in hand tools, I opted for Rob Cosman's basic bench. If you have a table saw and a hatchback you can make this bench. The top is 4 layers of 3/4 mdf and the legs are 18mm baltic birch laminated. I kitted mine out with matchfit dovetail clamp tracks. Tons of great work holding options for planing, routing, and sanding.

Was one of the cheapest bench designs I came across when I was researching (in covid times, sheet goods haven't gone up nearly as much as lumber)

The matchfit slot on the front apron is genius

What's the two different belt sanders on the jewelry box for? There's no planer listed so please tell me it's for shaping the lid or something "Now we're going to dimension this into a half inch board with just a belt sander"

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

z0331 posted:

I’m getting to the point when I need to worry about finish. I’m making a cherry hall table. Previous projects I’ve just used BLO, but I read that can make blotching stand out more on cherry.

I’ve read around a lot but saw a lot of different options so just wanted a sanity check. I was thinking of simply sanding to 220 and then doing three to four coats of watco Danish oil with steel wool between and after. Does that seem pretty standard for a natural but slightly polished look? Maybe add a urethane afterward for the top?
The danish oil idea works fine and gives enough protection that I think the urethane would be excessive, but do you have any scrap left over to do some test pieces with different finish processes? The Christian Becksvoort method (sand to 500, steel wool, then finish) works pretty well to keep cherry from blotching.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

NomNomNom posted:

I made a picture frame sled to enter into the wild world of framing photos and art. Based it on design ideas from Make Something and Michael Alm (and probably others). Added my own twist with the locking stop block.

Getting nice tight miters, but getting some bad tearout on the inside edge where the blade exits. Using my good crosscut blade too.

Obviously a backer piece would be ideal, but I can't think of a way to add one that preserves the ability of the rabbet to ride on the square.

A few things to check: the kerf on the sled looks a lot wider than your blade, when was the last time you cleaned/sharpened the blade, is it really a high tooth fine crosscut blade (the one in your photos doesn't look like it), can you add a block right where the two rulers meet to provide a vertical zero clearance as well? A bit of adhesive sandpaper in front of the rulers where the frame sits really helps lock it in place.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

epalm posted:

I'm looking to pick up some measurement tools like a digital inclinometer, a decent combination square, etc, but there's an endless sea of options, and I'm wondering if it's one of those "they're all actually manufactured by the same 2 companies" situations.

Any that should be avoided? Or does it not matter at this point, they've all figured out how to make square squares, so the cheapest one's probably just fine?

For combination squares, you can get PEC blemishes from https://www.harryepstein.com/. They're no Starrett, but they are cheap and square.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Rufio posted:

My dad wants me to make him a shower stool. Most of the ones I've seen are made of teak, but I'm wondering if I could use something cheaper. Around here (Louisiana) people use cypress for lots of our outdoor furniture. Could that be acceptable or should I just go with teak?

Also, what is the best finish for an application like this? Could I just use a deck sealer?
Can you get some marine spar varnish? Cypress seems like a reasonable choice, it's a common wood to make beehives out of and those hold up well enough. Teak is so expensive I'd rather go your route and do a treated wood and tell him you'll make a new one if/when that one gets messed up.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

revtoiletduck posted:

Do you guys have experience with Veritas t-track? I bought some before I realized that they don't have pre-drilled screw holes. Can I just epoxy them in place, or would I need to drill and use screws?
You can epoxy, but they are easy to drill into, and they have a little slot to center your drill bit in the track. The ones I got have a small recess at the bottom so you don't even have to fully countersink the heads and it doesn't interfere with the hardware. I'd rather screw it than epoxy so you can reuse them or adjust it a little after they are installed

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I got a ludicrously good deal on a Sawstop PCS a few weeks ago and built a router table extension this weekend. Sold the old standalone router table and my 1/2 of a 2 car garage feels so much roomier now! There is about 11" to the garage door, so as long as I don't get too fat this layout should work. Sawstop's business model annoyed me up until about 3 weeks ago :lol:

Rufio posted:

A router is one of the most unpleasant tools to use imo. They are just super loud, create a huge mess, and can gently caress up a job in an instant. I've never had a table set up though so maybe that could at least help fix part of the problem.

100% put it in a table with a fence, even if it's just a sheet of MDF with a flat/square 2x4 clamped to it--they are super useful and versatile, and the table mounting lets you get reasonable enough dust collection off of it.

Discomancer fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 26, 2021

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I could use some help on figuring out a project, and hopefully there is some specialty hinge or hardware that I'm missing that will solve this: my parents have asked for a dropleaf table for their Old Person Retirement RV, and they want some very specific things: this is a booth setup, it has to be a walnut top and leg, a "rule joint" specifically at the drop leaf, and little to no visible hardware/fasteners. This seems to be more of an engineering problem than a woodworking problem. They originally asked for a folding leg that can be folded out/locked in place, which I'm having some trouble getting the dimensions to work correctly without it running into something and not being able to fold back up. I'm also trying to build this with the consideration that they may not be flexible enough in a few years to bend over and fiddle with latches easily, so I want it simple.

The table itself will be 21"x39" in total, with a fixed 14" section and a folding 25" section. There's an 11" wide, 5" tall wheel well with a small 11" cabinet above it. Here's the best I can come up with: a short stub coming from the bottom of the table, with a pin hinge piece, and a second removeable pin to keep the leg from getting kicked out of place. I don't think this is a great solution, but can't think of anything else that fits this space and these dimensions. Is there another hardware solution that I'm missing here that would solve this?

The other option is to make the leg completely removable and attach it when unfolding the table, and my thought there was to make a cutout (essentially an open mortise at the end of the table) with a mating piece on the leg, and then somehow latching that in place. The "screw in" type leg attachments won't work in this application because the drop leaf hinge joint prevents the table from being lifted up to attach. Is there some kind of other hardware would be used for that and still prevent the leg from being able to get accidentally kicked outward by someone getting up.

Any ideas on how to get this setup to work in this space?

Here's a drawing of the area:

Discomancer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 27, 2021

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

epswing posted:

I’m a bit shocked at the price difference between saw blades. A 10” 80T freud industrial is $133, a diablo is $69. A 10” 180T irwin is $26 and a 60T craftsman is $35 and comes with an additional 24T blade.

How can the price vary so much, and are the cheap ones actually garbage?
I'm sure other people know way more about blades than me, but the premium blades typically have a lot more carbide on them so you can resharpen them quite a bit and they become a better value pretty quickly. They'll also generally handle heat/burning a bit better, deflect less, and anecdotally seem to have less tearout than the cheaper blades. Maybe that's just me trying to justify spending that kind of money on the Ridge Carbide. If you're throwing the blade out instead of resharpening it, then no they aren't worth the extra money. A nice blade will last you decades and you can keep your 10" even when you upgrade the saw, so just get the nice blade?

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

NomNomNom posted:

Parallel clamp chat, my local home depot regularly puts the Bessey parallel clamps on sale. The 24" have been down to $32 and the 50" have been $42, which isn't too far off pipe clamp prices. They're so much nicer.
Jet also does BOGO's sometimes around the Black Friday - Christmas timeframe, but you have to move pretty quick when they go on sale

I have a veneer question: I have a small 4"x4" piece of veneer I want to put on a box lid, and have never done this before. Should I just glue it to a piece of hardwood, match the grain direction, and use regular titebond? The edges are going to be covered by a trim piece, and it's small enough that I don't have any problem with the middle crowning up if that is a consideration.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They should last for a year or two, but use pressure-treated lumber if you really want it to not rot.

If you use pressure treated wood, make sure to use screws or nails that are suitable for it or they'll corrode as well, some exterior construction screws like Spax should be fine. You can also paint with some cheapo exterior/deck paint (Home Depot will probably have clearance cans that someone asked for and never picked up for cheap) to protect it a bit more.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

epswing posted:

I have to glue up some panels, but first I have to make some cauls. How can I make 16” cauls with a 1/16” taper from the middle to the ends? The examples I’ve found use a hand plane applied from the middle to the ends, then 1/4 to the ends, 1/8 to the ends, etc. I’m using spf, if that matters.

I don’t have a hand plane. I have a router, table saw, circular saw. I’ve though about taping a penny (or playing cards) to the “top” side of the piece and having that ride along the rip fence of my TS but that sounds a bit crazy. And it’d be hard to have that cut end in the middle.
1) Taper jig on the tablesaw on each side of the caul, this doesn't curve it but mostly gets the job done, or:
2) take 2 cauls, add a 1/8" shim at each end (twice your 1/16" target) between them, clamp them together, drill and countersink a screw in the middle so they bow out like )( and run them over the jointer/router table set as jointer, or tablesaw. Obviously double check to make sure the screw is in the correct spot to avoid the blades if doing this, and also make sure the two pieces are similarly stiff and one isn't doing all the flexing. The end of the boards will be shorter at the ends than the middle.
3) if this is just a one-off, you can use a flat board with those playing cards and stick the cards under the glue lines as shims to make it bow as you clamp (like you'd put 4 cards in the middle, 2 at the end, and the net effect is the board clamps down into the cards). Since the cards are usually coated with something, glue doesn't stick to them too badly

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Caveat: I really haven't thought it through entirely and there may well be some reason it doesn't work nearly as well outside a youtube video. A 6" jointer is probably a little short to get an 8' piece really flat and straight, but it should help? Just jointing one half of a twisted board may actually work against you as far as removing twist? Probably have to play around with the angle of the 'flat' plane you joint in relative to what the rest of the board is doing. A slab flattening setup for a router would work too and is fairly easy to make and probably the best for bringing the tool to the big heavy wood instead of bringing the heavy wood the the machine.
I have a 6" jointer and a DW735 and do this on drat near everything, it works great. The limiting factor is how deep a cut you can take at the jointer, since you need to do that part in one pass. I use a piece of 1/4" MDF with a stop block screwed to the bottom/back (to avoid the platen getting pulled through the whole planer), and put some paste wax on the top of the mdf to help it feed through the planer. I tried using a long 1/4" board and double stick tape to keep it on the sled, but it's expensive and a little annoying and you have to keep a really long piece of mdf around (it needs to be as long as the board using that method) and I don't have space for that. Light passes helps, and I usually eyeball it going into the planer to make sure the board hasn't shifted and the rabbet that the jointer makes isn't riding on top of the MDF. (The board can sometimes rotate a bit when it hits the rollers and get kicked out of position). On bigger boards that are 9+ inches, I'll use the rabbet and handplane that off until it's able to get run through the planer. My handplane skills make that less successful than using the planer platen. It's awkward the first few times, but is now just a short part of the milling process. I'd rather have an 8" jointer, but this gets the job done, is pretty safe and a reliable method.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

That Works posted:

Oh awesome I am glad that someone is doing this with a setup similar to my own.

Can you clarify on the depth of cut bit on the joiner and needing to take one pass? Couldn't I just take a few successive very low depth passes? Why would I not do so? I just don't have my head around that part, sorry.

A second pass on the jointer will hit the front of the rabbeting ledge - this video explains the process a bit better and shows what happens, it sounds counterintuitive but makes sense when you see it. I guess some jointers you can just remove the rabbeting ledge so it's a non issue? I have a Jet and the ledge is fixed to the infeed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmSjlXJ2fg

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I did desk mortises today and used my favorite router jig which may help someone: it's a massive block of scrap (in this case, leftover Ikea countertop) with a bunch of dovetail grooves for microijg clamps in either direction, 2 t-tracks and a big groove for a router edge guide with a block screwed onto it and some stop blocks. It's useful for all kinds of things, can hold boards on edge, and is really useful as a mortising jig since you just need to set it up once, do all your mortises, then flip the stop block on the face of the jig where the piece registers against to do the other side (to keep the reference sides all facing the same direction). You can also put stops on the top t-track instead to get a larger mortise.

The last picture with just a scribbled mortise is to tell me which side is the reference side, and which side of the leg to mortise, with the jig already set up, the edge guide at the desired distance, and the stop block in place to keep the mortises vertically consistent.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

revtoiletduck posted:

I'm looking to put some 1/4" wide mortises in some relatively small pieces of walnut (10" x 1 1/2" x 3/4").

I have an appropriate router bit, but my trim router doesn't have a plunge base. I have a larger router with a plunge base, but haven't found a jig or setup that would work on such small pieces.

I'd be willing to try chopping them by hand, but I don't have a mortise chisel, only a set of bench chisels.

I recently acquired a drill press so I guess that might be an option?
I use a block that the router edge guide runs in - super useful for mortises like that, or repeatable stretchers/aprons. You can probably figure out how to make something similar from the pictures (I can send a few more if you want), but something like this would make that safe, repeatable, and easy:

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Bob Mundon posted:

Which reminds me, if you're talking about burning money on Amazon myself I'm becoming precariously close to buying a set of those dovetail clamps and bit. Those work as well as they would appear?
They're really useful - you can simplify a lot of things with them (like a taper/straightedge tablesaw jig is just a piece of plywood with a few dovetail slots routed into it, or you can add some to your drill press table, or my favorite: add a dovetail slot to the front side of your workbench and you can clamp anything anywhere in it). They aren't really necessary, but worth getting.

revtoiletduck posted:

I'd be interested to hear how you feel about that Bosch dust collector, too. Dust collection is the bane of my existence and is single-handedly pushing me towards using hand tools whenever possible.
It works well- a lot quieter than the ol' Ridgid it replaced but it still requires hearing protection when running. It has a tool plug-in port with adjustable power so you can sand with it, or just plug whatever corded tools you have into it, but I also have a 2 hp dust collector and a hanging air filter as well, so the vac is only working as a dust extractor, not my main dust collection. I'm not sure how it would compare to another brand, but if you keep an eye on CPO Outlets, they'll have refurb models for around $300 last I checked (that's how I got that one). I would not pay full retail for one of these, there are way cheaper alternatives that would likely work just as well. This is a 9 gallon and as a hobbyist, dedicated woodshop vacuum, the bags last months.

My shop assistant was skeptical of today's prefinish/glueup process, and tried to snag a new chewtoy off the bench, which was denied:

Discomancer fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 31, 2021

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

BonHair posted:

Hi. I'm a new house owner with a stupid idea that involves wood. I think this is the thread for wood, right? Basically, I have a bush/tree deal that I want to cut down, leaving the stump as a table stand. Until recently, I didn't know what to put on top, but the other day, i found someone had cut down a birch tree, which allowed me to scavenge a disc of the trunk:
A simple round glass top works pretty well for a stump table: cheap, durable, works well outside, and you can see the cool grain from the top

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

If I wanted to accentuate the late growth rings is there a way to jump back and forth in grits to only sand the light stuff? Controlled oversanding?
If there's enough difference between the hardness of the early/latewood, you can use a brass wire brush to kind of scrape out the softer parts, but this won't work with all kinds of woods. It makes a neat effect, I'll do it again in small amounts, but is pretty hard to finish nicely if it's over a large area. Here's what it looks like on a poster frame with cypress:

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Apollodorus posted:

Well the guy still has it. It’s in pretty good shape aside from the stains on the cover and the nicked knife.

For $300ish I could get a helical head, and then I’d have gotten a helical jointer plus a dust collector for $1100 all delivered to my house.

Of course now I’m seeing all these advice pages telling me that I will REALLY wish I had an 8” jointer …
I had that jointer for years and also put a Shelix head in it, worked great, it's a good machine that you won't be disappointed with, but $800 for that is highway robbery no matter what part of the country you're in. Given the physical appearance of that jointer, and it's not on a mobile base but is somehow positioned nicely in the middle of the floor, it also looks like it was owned by the kind of person that picks that thing up by the wings and would have a high risk of not having flat beds. That's not totally a deal killer, but it's a pain in the rear end to shim and keep the shims in place. You can do it, but it's frustrating and certainly not $800 worth of frustration.

8 inch vs 6 inch - You can get by just fine with a 6" but if you have the space and the money then get the 8". What size boards do you normally get from the lumberyard? Mine seems to start at 6.5" and go wider from there, so almost everything needed additional milling when I had the 6" and I would prefer not to go back to a 6". It wouldn't be the end of the world, but if you're ready to drop that much money, you might be happier holding out for the larger machine.

Delivery on that machine is nothing - you can take the fence off, and remove the jointer bed from the frame (there are 3 bolts holding it on which you can access from the bottom and the dust chute) and haul the whole thing in a sedan easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
Seems likely, the pictures look like it's in a regular garage or something--that looks like a much better deal than the Jet jointer. You can probably disassemble it from the base to move it easier. I'd bring a friend, jointers are hard to move alone. Don't pick it up by the wings!