Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
How do I go about identifying a type of wood? I had to put a hole though the floor in my 1830s house and ended up with a chunk of the old floorboards that are beneath the laminate and carpet. I sanded the top down and applied a little linseed oil to see how it looks, but now I'm curious what kind of wood it is. First picture is the sanded & oiled top, second is the underside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Doesn't smell like anything to me, but I have a bad sense of smell.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Hypnolobster posted:

Where do you live? Being in a house that old, it's very much a native/local timber. It looks like some kind of fir.

Northern New Jersey

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Our house (circa 1830s) came with an old ladder to get up to the attic; based on how perfect it fits the attic hatch I'm guessing it was custom made for the hatch (or the hatch was built to fit the ladder). Overall it's in good shape but there's some splintering along one side due to how it was stored. What's the best way to smooth it out and protect it from further damage without ruining the old patina? Or, should I sand the whole thing down?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Recommend me a first table saw for my little basement shop. Assume I know next to nothing about table saws.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Elem7 posted:

Little shop probably means foldable job site saw anyways but might as well ask, is it a walkout basement or do you need to carry whatever you get downstairs?

Depending on your budget and whether or not you need it to fold away a hybrid saw can be a good option over a job site unit but you're not gonna want to carry one down stairs. Honestly you won't really "want" to carry down a quality job site saw either, it'd be a good reason to go tracksaw instead.

Basement has a ground-level door to the backyard. Space isn't a concern but I'm not looking to break the bank. Uses are standard table saw stuff: cutting boards and other big flat things.

On my way to pick it up

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

NomNomNom posted:

How do we feel about free format tool walls?

I don't subscribe to the rigors of French cleats or pegboard.

I just started the same project this weekend

I need to pick up some more dowels and make holders for the screwdrivers etc. I'm happy with how it's coming along so far though, far better than my previous system (tools scattered between the bench, a couple tool bags, and random places around the house)

Toebone fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 3, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I mostly have Ryobi stuff and it's been fine for my at-home needs. Home Depot has sales around now that include a free tool or bundle a bunch together with a battery or two.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Haha it does look like a dick

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I'm building a couple drawers and need a circular saw blade for cutting plywood (3/4" and 1/4"), any recommendations? Are the pricier Diablo blades worth it over the cheap ones; 60 tooth vs 40 tooth?

Toebone fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 18, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I built some box drawers and need fronts for them; I'm going to talk to the cabinet maker down the street but depending on how much he wants for a pair it might make more sense for me to buy a cheap router and DIY.

So, as someone with only the most basic knowledge of routers, what should I look for in one? Will I hate myself if I buy the $30 harbor freight one to use until it breaks?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I asked about getting a cheap router because I'm trying to build up a little workshop and they seem like a useful tool, but I'll go with the consensus and save up for a quality one. The rounding / corner planes people have posted have caught my interest, they would definitely get the job done and I enjoy using hand tools. I'll see if I can find anything like that locally.

The drawers are going into an existing built-in cabinet, so I'm planning on the drawer fronts matching what's already there - just a simple slab with rounded edges.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Drawer update: I bought a little block plane, sand paper and some MDF and now my drawers have fronts :cool:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Mr. Mambold posted:

Mdf is a bad choice for anything drawer related, but especially if it's near water.

They're going into a built-in cabinet in the dining room; nowhere near water and not expected to get much use. Mostly wanted them to cover up the big drawer-shaped holes in the wall.

I'll post pictures once everything is done. It's an amateur job, but it's my amateur job :)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Just needs paint

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Wallet posted:

MDF makes me nervous but they look good! Are you doing anything to make sure they get sealed really well beyond painting?

I was just planning on hitting them with spray primer first, should that be sufficient or would a varnish be good?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Anyone have a link to a guide or article about workshop organization? Mine is always a mess within a few days of cleaning it up, I can't help but think I could do things more efficiently.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Mostly I think I need more/better storage, I made a pegboard for frequently used stuff but I've just got a couple shelves for everything else and it tends to pile up. I need to figure out a separate area for my 3D printer stuff too, right now it's just taking up space on the workbench most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

That heavy smoke at the end looks tasty