Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

So I'm planning a bookcase between the stair stringers and the ceiling above leading to my house's second floor. The stringer is about 7" wide, and I basically want the bookcase to take up the entire area. The image below is my model of the bookcase.

What I'm having trouble with is figuring out how to make it be easily removable, preferably without the use of a drill. I want it to be removable for if anything large (bed, mattress, etc) has to be moved up/down stairs. Can anyone think of any way to like, slot it in there and get it to stay without leaving gaps? Some sort of fastener I don't know the name of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I have always wanted a drill press, and now I have one!

Very excited to drill various pieces of wood.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

JEEVES420 posted:

Nice, looks like a solid press. Buy a magnetic disk or nut bowl to stick to the Press. Keep your chuck in it. Seeing it sitting there on the bench all I could think is "Last known photograph" :ohdear:

Hahaha, great idea, I almost left it in the bed of my uncle's truck.

GEMorris posted:

Sup Taiwan Drill Press buddy, what brand name does yours carry?

Duracraft

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

So I'm making a built-in bookcase, and I'm using poplar, which I'll be staining cherry. What should I use on the wood post-stain to seal it?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Well in less cool news I made a sled for my table saw. I'm excited to cut new things that my miter saw can't.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I finally assembled my table-top planer, and used it, I don't think I've ever felt a smoother piece of wood just running a 2x4 through it. It was like touching some entirely different material and not wood at all. I really want a jointer now.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

So, I've been planning a fold-down table for my breakfast nook for quite some time, and I finally think I've got the time and inspiration to make it. I'm wondering if people with table and glued butt joints could weigh in and tell me if it'll be strong enough with how I've planned it. I've attached a few of the model photos here, the plan is to make it out of 1x pieces of cherry (which I have in my garage and have achieved a beautiful red color over the past year sitting in there). When it folds up, it will be a picture frame, and then it folds down with two portions of the frame swinging out to be the legs, which get locked into place with a steel pin each. My real question is if the 1xs adhered only with 3/4" of glue between them will be strong enough to be a table, or do I need to add another layer in there?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is, what, a 1.5' x 3' tabletop? I think you'll be fine. Properly-applied glue with long grain to long grain is stronger than the wood itself, and your lengths aren't so long that sagging is a serious concern. What I'm not clear on is how that steel pin works to secure the legs. Wobbly legs would be unpleasant to deal with, so I'd be inclined to go with a locking shelf bracket or something similar. It might not achieve the aesthetic you want, but it'd be a lot more secure.

It's actually 29"x56", long enough for two people to a side.. The pin is set between two hinges, and it's about 1/2" diameter steel pin.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, that's good stuff to think about!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Just finished my staircase bookcase! Or well it's finished enough for books. My last thing to do it get some 6" long drawer slides for the triangular drawers along the stringer. I tried doing wooden slides and they just didn't work like I wanted them to.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

Hey how did you steal my post before I wrote it?

Great though, I'd love to see how you attached it please?

http://imgur.com/a/XZeHnFH

Basically screwed the top bottom and left to the structure, then screwed the right side into them and the staircase itself. I used screws but no glue for this so I can take it down if necessary if something big has to go up/down the stairs.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I was gifted this pretty great desk yesterday, though obviously it needs a lot of love, and it will be my winter project i think to refinish/refurbish it.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I do my stuff in Rhino, which is way more advanced than required to do woodworking modeling. Sketchup would be sufficient for almost every normal woodworking project I'm sure. I just have Rhino from being in architecture.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Love it! I'm planning a kinda similar sideboard for my dining room, it's great to see someone else has finished one of these!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I was gifted my Grandpa's old planes, he was a carpenter his whole adult life, and I'm very excited to use them after a bit of care.

OgreNoah fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 28, 2020

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

more falafel please posted:

The Dewalt 735X planer is on sale for $599 at HD, is that the typical lowest price? I probably need to pull the trigger on a planer, and I might as well get the consensus best lunchbox one.

That's what I've got an I absolutely love it. I haven't tried other planes though so others might chime in.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Sockser posted:

Dude on Craigslist was liquidating some gear that, I dunno, he bought for one single job or something

So I snagged
Bosch ra1171 router table
Bosch 1617 router
Bosch ra1954 router guide
And a pretty bitchin chamfer bit he left in the router

For a total of $90

I’m very happy with this
Though still deciding if I want to build a stand or drop the top into an existing cabinet in my shop

You lucky duck. I really want a guide and table for my router.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Watching Paul Sellers make poo poo makes me dearly want a band saw.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I updated a family friend's mantlepiece by adding a new top, extending the sides, and adding new trim to a piece she got at an antique store. I think it ended up really nice, and I especially enjoyed using the planer on a 2x12 to make it as smooth as a baby's bottom. Also the router was fun.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I ordered a Router Table and a Jointer from Rockler and I'm super excited for their arrival.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I finished this 2 months ago but just took a picture of it in its natural environment. A bookcase for my mom!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

Lol if you think Detroit won't get a hipster infestation in the next 5-10 years that's on a scale with Portland, and Capitol Hill in Seattle, and Northern California.

We already have it, that's what Royal Oak and Ferndale are.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Elysium posted:

Oh poo poo, now we’re in my wheelhouse.

I made this stupid thing over the weekend, for putting drinks down on the couch when we want to sit back and can’t reach the table:

Made out of one scrap piece of plywood. I got real impatient with the stain and finishing so that looks a bit half assed. “It’s fine.”

I feel like Red Green would be really loving proud of you.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Those metal edges would bruise the poo poo outta legs, and the corners would tear your skin off, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I made a tapestry hanger with hidden hardware on Sunday for this awesome tapestry, and I'm quite pleased with it. I still need to finish it, probably just with a few coats of poly, but that will wait until spring when it's warm enough to do that outside.

Basically took took 2 pieces of 1x3 oak, routed a small portion out of one, used wing nuts to cinch them together, and mounted the second one with oak cleats to the wall.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW1pWWjvpaB/