Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

mcrandello posted:

Get sandpaper whenever you can and keep it in the house or somewhere air conditioned lest the glue go bad on the sheets.

Have you personaly run into this problem? I have always kept my sandpaper in my Garage...in Texas and I have never had any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

optikalus posted:

I have a $100 table saw, and have never had any scary moments with it. Treat your tools with respect and use them as they're intended. You don't need a $500+ table saw to rip wood.

I have a $200 one and have had no issues with it. I think for the weekend warrior a cheaper model will do just fine. Would I like a better one, sure. Do I think I need a better one, not really.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Walked posted:

This is probably a very stupid question, however google has not been helpful.

I'm curious as to how I'd approach cutting a square (lets say 5x6") through a piece of 1/2" MDF or 3/4" MDF and do it cleanly.

Is there something that would be able to do this thats not terribly expensive? I want something clean, so a jigsaw wouldnt work.

Not already involved in any project or anything, but in the preliminary planning stages and doing my research in advance :)

A plunge router is what works the best. A drill and a jigsaw would be my second choice.

I used to prep commercial doors and had to cut a bunch of holes for windows.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Since we were cutting so many window holes we had templates we made out of 1/4" plywood. Using a clamped square or straight edge will work just fine. For the corners just use a hand saw and a sanding block to get it even.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

Fancy tools

I would be too scared I would scratch it to actually use them in my shop. For me its all function over form for the shop.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

optikalus posted:

Home Depot won't ever do 'precise' cuts. You're going to lose 1/8" no matter what, as that's the width of the blade itself. If you have a circular saw, it's easy to make precise cuts. You just need a backing board clamped to the board you want to cut. This will keep the blade straight for you. I also usually replace the blade in the saw with one with a higher tooth count. This will reduce the board's want to splinter.

not to mention the 4x8 sheets are really 4ft 1/2in. I told them to cut it in half expecting 2ft 1/4in, nope I got a 2ft piece and a 2ft 1/2in piece. gently caress having them cut it, get yourself a chalk line and do it yourself.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Sovi3t posted:

I'm trying to put together a standing desk (~37" height) to go into the corner of my room. The top is an old (solid wood) door with a plywood board on top. It measures 81" x 31" and I would guess weighs 80lbs.

There will be at least 80lbs of equipment on the desk at all times. There must be absolutely no wobble or sagging. I'm currently planning on anchoring a (1"x1"?) board along both sides of the wall that the desk will sit against, then putting the desk on top and screwing it to the boards. I bought one metal leg that will support the one free-hanging corner.

Is this a good idea? What would you recommend?

I have built two desks this way. Make sure you are screwing your 1x1 to studs. The first desk I built like this had a 22in CRT(about 80lbs) sitting in the corner.

I would suggest a second leg in front in the middle, 81" is a bit long for only one leg.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Carta posted:

I think I'm going to get a bunch of harbor freight clamps.. I'd rather have way more than I need then not enough. Having the saw I had now 2 months ago would have been great as well, but this dresser is more of a need than a piece that I want to look perfect.

Every time I go to the hardware store I make sure to buy 2 clamps. There really is no such thing as too many when it comes to clamps.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

straw_ewe posted:

3) Do not scrimp on block planes, scrapers, or chisels. Keep them sharp, clean, and organized.

My roommate used one of my chisels to scrape poo poo off a car part when he changed his brakes. hosed the end up horribly, its now a bulb of metal. I had to have a talk with him about wood chisels needing to be sharp and clean .

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Well...here's the dust collector I put together for my planer (shown with the planer running for inflated bag goodness):

It works reasonably well, but the bag clogs fairly easily. Still, it cost me about $15 total, and I got to practice my hand on the sewing machine. Also, awesome re-use of a 20-year-old rag shirt. Of course it does nothing to collect fine dust, just large chips really, so I put that outside the garage and let all the fine dust get carried away by the constant Iowa wind. Here's my actual "dust collection system":

Box fan near back of garage + wide open garage door = ventilation? I dunno, you tell me if I'm going to develop nasal cancer in a year. My options are pretty limited at the moment due to renting and space, so I just try to keep as much air moving through as possible.

All I use is a fan and open door, I am cheap and don't want to pay for dust collection when I can get a box of dust masks for a dollar.

Here is an end table I made for my lounge, the whole lounge is very rustic looking so I wanted to keep that kind of look with the table. I think I might do one more coat of stain but overall I am happy with the table.

Click here for the full 1728x1152 image.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I used to work for a door manufacturing company, I think I just got accustomed to black boogers and a slight cough :shobon:

The table is made of Poplar and the legs of red oak. The bar I made in the same room is of the same two woods with the same stain so it works out nicely.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

A friend wants me to make him a set of bar stools. Time is kind of an issue so I would like to work off of plans apposed to my usual "wing it" method of building. Does anyone know where I can find a set of plans? I have looked through Google and couldn't find a decent set.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Boogabu posted:

I always wanted to do this. :P

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=woodworking+bar+stool+plans

Links 1, 2, 4, and I know there's at least 2 more on page 2.

JEEVES420 posted:

I have looked through Google and couldn't find a decent set.

I have looked at all of the links on your lmgtfy page. None of them have good looking bar stool plans. I am not looking for 4 legs and a slab, I am looking for bar stool plans. I was hoping someone here knew of a better source than the top Google results.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

wormil posted:

The downside to tapered bits is who the hell uses wood screws anymore? I've been using these babies (Grip-rite composite deck screws, self tapping, square drive) on my cabinet project and they are sweet. No predrilling is necessary but I still countersink the holes (when necessary). The only downside is that the free bits that come in the box are garbage.

I do :( I bought the huge boxes many years ago and still have a ton left. I am also cheap and just change out standard drill bits to make counter sink holes :downs:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The Human Cow posted:

I've got a huge screened-in porch on the back of my house, and I bought a little LCD TV to put back there, along with a tiny amplifier for some speakers and a little network music receiver. I want to build a locking cabinet to hold all of this stuff, so that somebody can't just walk up and pick it up and leave. Basically, I want a dart board cabinet-type thing with a lock on the front. I was getting ready to draw up some plans, but I've been trying to think of a more unique way to build this than a dart board cabinet. I'll do it if I can't think of anything else, but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for a unique cabinet door substitution. I was thinking about a tiny garage door-type rollup door, but I don't know if anybody makes anything like that. Basically, I'm just looking for any innovative ideas anybody has.

you could make a Tambour door.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=4968

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Nostratic posted:

Unless you're talking about the added cost of buying more tools, which is probably unavoidable anyway!

Never count the cost of tools in a project, you will always use them for later projects. :)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

VitaminZinc posted:

Not super-familiar with that particular tool, so I don't know if it's adjustable, but that blade's really high for that cut. For safety, it should really only be just higher than the piece of wood itself.

This was the first thing I thought of too. Try and keep the blade about 1/16th above the piece you are cutting.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

wormil posted:

These are excellent suggestions but you'll also want some decent chisels. I have a set of Marples Blue Chip and I can make them sharper than a razor. The 3/8" gets the most use. Inexpensive table saws aren't very useful unless you're a carpenter hauling it from jobsite to jobsite, save up until you can drop $800 or more on a contractor or cabinet saw.

I bought a super expensive set of chisels only to have my idiot roommate use my 3/8 for some auto repair that ruined it. Fucker still doesn't fully understand what he did.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

wormil posted:

Yep. The screws into the countertop are there to resist pulling away from the wall while the screws in the wall support the weight. I used plastic drywall anchors. The anchors come in different weight ratings and I believe the L brackets also had a weight rating so you can estimate how many you'll need. To make it stronger you could fasten a 2x4 to the wall around the perimeter and set the countertop on it and use a different kind of bracket to support the middle.

A 2x1 works just fine. The desk in my Nerdery is a giant U 4ftx16ftx4ft and I used 2x1 along the walls and legs in front spaced every 4ft. Just make sure to screw them into studs.

Why don't you want legs in front?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

My sister is having her first kid so as a baby present my brother and I are building a convertible crib/toddler bed/twin bed. We have 4-6 weeks to get it finished, this is going to be close.

This is the front of the sleigh crib/foot board.

Click here for the full 2048x1155 image.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Anybody here do woodworking out of an apartment garage? I just moved from a house to an apartment and I am curious how the power tools will be received. The only ones I am really worried about pissing people off are the planer and joiner since they are loud as gently caress and usually used for a lot longer periods.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

Holy poo poo, I would live with this kitchen so, so very happily. Nicely done.

As someone who loves to cook this kitchen would suck to cook in. For someone that eats nothing but ramin it does kick rear end.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

RizieN posted:

I'm thinking maybe I'd like to make one side a wine chiller, and then just one of the thin drawers at the top, bottle & wine glass storage on the other side.

Wine Chillers need a lot of ventilation. If you are going to go with that design I would suggest forgoing the solid sides and leaving the slat sides open on all sides possible. Most of them use fans off the back that are needed to exhaust the hot air.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Blistex posted:

You can't go wrong with pretty much any orbital sander. They're pretty standard and the difference between the $50 ones and the $100 ones in my opinion is just the money. Don't get one that you've never heard of or is really light or cheap feeling. I have a $40 Mastercraft one that's been working like a champ for the past 10 years and it's what I would consider the bottom of the barrel.

This is my opinion as well. The only thing I would suggest is the Velcro over flat sticker based ones. I feel like I get more out of the Velcro, the sticker sand paper seem to fall apart quicker.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I guess I am the only one that actually likes the look of knots in wood. Not a ton of them but one here and there gives it character in my eyes.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I have always been terrified of the table saw so I have been incredibly safe around them. The worst I have gotten is getting sprayed in the face with pieces of lead when putting a bezel on a lead core door (xray room). Should of caught on when the guy helping me went and got a leather welding jacket and welding mask.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Getting a RIKON Mini Lathe Model 70-100 on Saturday for christmas (was delivered to my parents last weekend). Excited to start turning again since 8th grade 16 years ago.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

wormil posted:

Furniture is probably the least lucrative type of woodworking which is why there are so many small woodworking schools. People do it for love and then get tired of being broke. I built a small desk with highly figured walnut that I'm very proud of but very few have any real appreciation for the work or money that went into it. Or maybe it's less impressive than I think.
:smith:

I will only build furniture for myself or for those who help build it. When you try to factor in time on a project for a price it never turns out to be cheap.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Can anyone recommend a decent turning set? I was going to just buy a cheapo kit to get started from harbor freight but they didnt have any in store. So I figure I might as well get a $50-$100 set if I am going to order online.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Socratic Moron posted:

I unfortunately don't have the tools necessary for some hot hot mortise and tenon work yet. :(

If I used 1x1 lumber, do you think some uber small dowel rods would work?

What you want are pegs like these. They can be found at your local Home Depot/Lowes in bags usually near the dowels and other pegs. The groves are specifically designed to allow the glue to contact in more areas creating a stronger hold.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

Yes, it looks to me like your chisel has the sharpness of a butter knife. I use the Scary Sharp method with a Veritas Honing Guide for sharpening chisels and plane blades and have been satisfied with the results. For the baseplate, I picked up a 12"x12" (30x30cm) marble bathroom tile from a home improvment center for about $3 and that has worked just fine. There are a lot of different opinions on which is the best sharpening method. Whether you go with stones or sandpaper, you are going see a huge improvement over trying to cut dovetails with a grapefruit spoon.

Thirding chisel sharpness. Chisels need to be sharper than a razor. You can not understand how pissed I was at a roommate who used one of my $50 chisels to scrape oil of a car part. hosed it all up :argh:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

mds2 posted:

Wood glue is pretty strong, stronger than wood. Titebond III holding strength is like 3000psi. But dowels or biscuits wouldn't hurt.

almost verbatim what I was going to say.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Paint after the stain and use a stain that is designed for decks/outdoors. Make sure the can says it has a sealant in the stain and your all set. Before staining make sure to sand/scrape any excess glue that might have seeped out, stain on wood glue really stands out.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I bought a One Way Talon Chuck from Rockler and they gave me a threaded insert for a stronghold chuck. I look online to see they are back ordered till July 6th for the right insert. Talk about blue balls dropping the money on the chuck only to have to wait almost a month :(

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Starker44 posted:

B.E.A.Utiful just beautiful lampshades. Makes me want to go play on my lathe now :)

awesome lamp shade but all I can think is all the waste. He should have cut out the middle as much as possible for other projects.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

For a home bar just leave it open. Your going to want to move around and leave from behind the bar and I doubt you want to really keep undesirables from behind it.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Tempus Fugit posted:

Finished the whisky cabinet I was working on and got it hung this weekend. Goddamn thing is huge.

run a strip of wood in front of the LED rope light. It will back light everything and not draw your eyes to the lights.
I did a Crown molding using LED rope light and you can see how you get a nice even lighting covering it up.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Tempus Fugit posted:

I looked at that when I was building it. It looked a bit odd having that strip of wood just hanging there, but I might go back and do it. Good suggestion. I also want whatever is causing that tiny supernova in your bar.

what about a curved/slanted piece of trim so that it slants from the roof back?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Brother decided to trim his nails at the router table. took a chunk of bone and almost the entire nail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Skinny Bins posted:

(I have better photos, but my phone doesn't want to cooperate right now...)

Are the ones on your phone smaller :v: