Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
Thread Delivers!!!11!

not just one but TWO

These little guys are so black my cheap cam really couldn't grab a good shot.

They are very scared and confined to the kid's bathroom for now. Cooper won't leave them even though I've suggested they might could do with some peace for an hour or two. They finally ate something and even growled at each other for stealing the others food.

The cuteness was a bit more than I could stand so I had to leave and go to the office for a bit.

We actually found out about a neighbor who was going to give away kittens, My wife didn’t see the logic in going all the way to the big city, and paying a hundred dollars in adoption fees when we could get a free cat right down the road. I had to think of a way to make it all fit into the plan. I told Cooper (a small lie) that I had called the Animal Shelter and they said someone in our area was going to be bringing kittens to the pound soon. They also told me that if we wanted, we could save ourselves a trip and go and see if we wanted them. I left it up to Cooper and he jumped at the chance to get kitties right away instead of wait. (like I knew he would).

Now we have kitties in the house. I also have a shirt in the washer cause apparently one of them got a bit too excited as I was carrying him to the car. icky.

Did I mention I'm a Dog Person? Cats ...sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow, man... wow. Good job. And TWO cats. Nice.

King of the Cows
Jun 1, 2007
If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?
What a great ending to a great caper! I hope I am half the father you are.

And shame on you, Man Blogs Dog. Your profile says you logged on yesterday. Don't you think you owe Bantaras an explanation, at the very least?

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
Are you tired of hearing how cool you are? Because I'm going to say it again. You're way cool. That's way cool. Cooper is one lucky duck!

And now that you have 2 little ankle scratchers, he doesn't have to decide between Max and Fiver!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yay cats! Yay Cooper! Yay Bantaras! Thanks so much for sharing this amazing adventure with all of us. It's really brightened my week reading about all of this. I wish I'd found it soon enough that I could have been of some use. Also, I guess I wish I had some skills that might have been of any use.

Also, know that two cats and one cat require about the same level of attention and commitment, so you should be fine there. I hope we get to find out their names soon.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Normally I'm as jaded and blase as the next Goon, but oh my god kittens! They are truly adorable and the perfect ending to one of the best threads ever.

bbqweasel
Sep 28, 2006
I'm a special kitty!
This thread is so cool, and kudos for giving your kid an experience he'll treasure forever. Do let us know what he names the kittens :)

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
AWWWWWWWW!

(You know that Cooper's totally on to you, right? But don't ever ask him about it. Maybe someday he'll tell you--but wait for him to volunteer it.)

Good choice on getting two cats. Two cats is more than twice as good as one cat.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

They are adorable. Well done.

Really, what can I say that hasn't been said a thousand times, but still : You are an awesome father.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thread certainly does deliver.

Well done on making your son happy and raising two cutie cats!

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Two kittens!? Lucky kid. I miss my cats terribly...

That sucks that you lost $20 :( Dick move...

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Egad posted:

That sucks that you lost $20 :( Dick move...
Seems a bit of a dumb move on Man Blogs Dog's part as well since his account probably cost him that much and a permaban is probably on the way (or at least it would if he posted in SA-mart, so presumably the same applies in GBS).

King of the Cows
Jun 1, 2007
I just emailed Man Blogs Dog to see if he'll reply. Hopefully, it's just an innocent mix-up.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Although it's not comedy, this really does belong in the goldmine, awesome job man.

the7yearplan
Mar 21, 2007

Excuse me while I put pepper on this cottage cheese.
This is awesome and I'm going to remember this when I have kids. Great idea.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Holy carp, this is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. You are seriously an amazing dad, everyone with kids should be taking notes.

Any intent of sending a brief final message from The Agency? Something like "Congratulations Agent Cooper, you have accomplished your mission. The Agency is grateful for your assistance. This will be our final transmission."

It's already a pretty clear climax, but just to wrap up any loose ends in case Cooper is still expecting more messages.

amapolita
Mar 18, 2007

Why can't we be friends?
^ something like that would make it the perfect closure for this

Bantaras, this is just awesome :)

I didnt follow the thread until now because I'm just so impatient with things, but i just finished reading the thread, really.. congratulations for the surprise for your kid.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Wow, this was excellent. My nephew is 2 now, I'm borderline ready to do this to him. I'll even give him a cat, my sister would love that kill me.

Well done, you are a great dad, I would have loved doing this as a kid.

Dubious Merit
Apr 25, 2007

Once the kitties are old enough to wear collars, one of these:
http://www.woofnwhiskers.co.uk/plastic-id-tube-p-1331.html
could show up with a final coded message inside.

(They're easily available in the USA; this was just the clearest page I found.)

Toothy
Jan 30, 2006

There's treasure everywhere!
Hooray, a conclusion! Who doesn't like kittens?

Keyga
Apr 12, 2006

Making you feel guilty for all the salted snails, one lick at a time.
And hey, now with 2 he can name them Max AND Fiver!

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

King of the Cows posted:

I just emailed Man Blogs Dog to see if he'll reply. Hopefully, it's just an innocent mix-up.

Any word on this? If not, I think you guys should join me in reporting him.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL
What a great end to a great thread! I've really enjoyed following this- it's great seeing Cooper looking so happy with his kitties :3: Did he name them Max and Fiver?

King of the Cows
Jun 1, 2007

Bantaras posted:

Nope. As of today, I haven't heard a thing. According to his profile, he last posted on May 14. That was before I emailed him, but well after everyone started wondering what had happened.

I'll be happy to inform whoever I need to that I attempted to contact him, but I'm not sure what the protocol is for reporting something like this.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Bantaras posted:

You can sign me up. What do we need to do?

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
Let's not get all lynch-mob, here. Let Bantaras take care of it.

Team Evil
Feb 12, 2007

Quacking off agaaiiiiin
eat him alive, and i am really glad I was able to help out on any level. Sweet ending.

gvonpaul
Jan 21, 2005
Goober
I just want to take this opportunity to thank Bantaras for this idea.
I am a divorced Dad and work hard to find ways to stay close to my kids. I tried this with my nine year old son. I sent him a series of coded riddles that were clues on a treasure hunt eventually leading to a book of coins from World War II (geek like Dad).
He enjoyed it immensely and can't stop talking about it. I'm going to do something similar for my older son, probably based on the internet instead.
Again, thank you , thank you, thank you.

Aglar
Jun 25, 2004
I like the kok
Glad to see a happy conclusion, and sorry to hear about Man Blogs Dog. Let us know if anything happens there.

Also, I second the idea of a final message to your son for closure.

Aglar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 22, 2008

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
I'm glad the code font worked out so well for you, and that it got as much use as it did.

I've got a 1 year old, and you can bet your rear end I'm chomping at the bit waiting for him to get old enough to do this very same thing for him (although it'll have to be something other than a pet, as we already have 1 dog and 3 cats). I agree with the others who have said that you need to archive this in some way, so others can use it as a template (as well as showing of your awesomeness). Perhaps you could assemble all of the relevant posts into a dowloadable .pdf file?

Spyder
Sep 29, 2002

This is awesome, well done sir.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Just figured I'd mention that Man Blogs Dog was finally banned for scamming the OP.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Bantaras posted:

Thread Delivers!!!11!

not just one but TWO

These little guys are so black my cheap cam really couldn't grab a good shot.

They are very scared and confined to the kid's bathroom for now. Cooper won't leave them even though I've suggested they might could do with some peace for an hour or two. They finally ate something and even growled at each other for stealing the others food.

The cuteness was a bit more than I could stand so I had to leave and go to the office for a bit.

We actually found out about a neighbor who was going to give away kittens, My wife didn’t see the logic in going all the way to the big city, and paying a hundred dollars in adoption fees when we could get a free cat right down the road. I had to think of a way to make it all fit into the plan. I told Cooper (a small lie) that I had called the Animal Shelter and they said someone in our area was going to be bringing kittens to the pound soon. They also told me that if we wanted, we could save ourselves a trip and go and see if we wanted them. I left it up to Cooper and he jumped at the chance to get kitties right away instead of wait. (like I knew he would).

Now we have kitties in the house. I also have a shirt in the washer cause apparently one of them got a bit too excited as I was carrying him to the car. icky.

Did I mention I'm a Dog Person? Cats ...sheesh.

Kitties! :swoon:

An awesome conclusion to an awesome thread. I'm sure you know this by now, but you're the coolest dad on Something Awful, if not the world.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

We do need to know what he names them.

Fridge
May 31, 2008
Great Job, two cats!

I wish my dad was like that, but eh, all people have their Pros and Cons.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Parahexavoctal posted:

We do need to know what he names them.

Shadow and Smokey.

I'll get some pics on here soon.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Bantaras posted:

Shadow and Smokey.

I'll get some pics on here soon.

This entire thread was incredible, and I'm so glad that it was bumped with the names, else I'd never have seen it. Kudos, Bantaras and the rest of the goons who aided. Amazing stuff, through and through.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Bantaras: I know you're probably busy, but if you are still thinking about doing that "how to" on doing this, please let me encourage you do to it!

This thread will eventually get archived and it will be a great loss!

Skeeter McGavin
Jul 26, 2006
Loved the thread - thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
drat it... I'm not sure I could have helped, but I'm pissed at myself for not seeing this thread sooner. You have truly given your son something to remember for ever. My grandpa did something like this for me when I was Coopers age (23 now), and I'll never forget it. It didn't last as long as yours, ours was done in an afternoon, but man it was so cool. It was an automatic coin sorter which I cherished for a long time (broke :cry: ). I sure loved him.

You're great... all dad's need to be as cool as you.