Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I had something like this when I was, I don't know when exactly. My dad had hidden things all around the house and in the car or whatever. Each item I found had a piece of paper with a clue to where the next item was. I haven't the faintest idea anymore what the prize was (if there even was any), but I still remember this game to this day.

Maybe you could start hiding stuff around the house, with encrypted clues to other stuff ? On the other hand, maybe that's a bit much for an 8-year old, but what do I know, I have no idea how smart kids are at what age.

Anyway, this is awesome and he'll probably remember it for the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyaegos
Dec 16, 2005

Instructables has a few instructions for making a book safe. That link actually has instructions for building a voice-recording module into the book too. If you've got the know-how, that might make things really interesting. "Your mission, should you choose to accept it...."

Lian
Nov 29, 2005

Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
This is such a cool idea, I´ll remember it when I want to give or do something for my little brother. But we live in different countries but I´m sure my dad would help out with hiding and plotting.

DeusExMachina
May 20, 2001
For making a book safe, I have heard, but never tried, that you can dunk the pages in some kind of glue (wallpaper, maybe?) while keeping the covers free. Once the pages are dried, then drill and cut the cavity. Epoxy or hotglue the bottom cover to the pages. In the instructables tutorial, they lined the cavity with self-adheasive felt. That might be a nice touch, too. Mind you, I've never done this but it sounds like it should work.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
Here's the Lego Bionicle code that looks strikingly similar to mine. Even some of the symbols are the same.

O well, I guess a lot of ideas you have, someone has thought of before. This is kinda strange though. Maybe I saw it on a commercial or something and filed it away in my mind as a neat alphabet.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
Bantaras - For you, I have created a True Type Font!

http://www.sneeko.net/files/CircleCodeTTF.zip

Download! Enjoy! :c00l:

(note: you had no letter Z in your original code cypher - I created one for you.)

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
I used to love stuff like this when I was a kid. Here's some tricks for you:

Invisible Ink
Lemon juice makes an ink that is invisible upon drying - to read it, you have to heat it up, and it turns brown. Just squeeze a lemon into a glass, and apply with a softened toothpick or tiny paintbrush. Make sure to give him some directions to heat it included, like the "bress button, receive bacon" signs on hand dryers - a lightbulb should work fine, but ironing it works best (teach him how to use an iron?).

Delivery systems
- Cut a slice out of a tennis ball, and you'll be able to access the little hollow space inside. Perfect for a folded note!
- Wierd packages are ok to send by mail if they have proper postage on them. You could send a teddy bear with the messege hidden inside, with the the stuffing, or send him a trowel with coordinates scratched/etched on.

I would suggest including "secret-agent training" or "science skills" with your prompts, such as sending him a compass or protractor or telling him about vinegar/baking soda or coke/mentos (in which case, send him a funnel as "force concentration unit").

Everything up there should be pretty cheap.

All Hat No Cattle
Apr 18, 2005

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.
Hollowing out the book isn't hard but if you still want more help (about gluing pages, etc.) visit an altered book website. Hollowed out books are loving AWESOME.

victorious posted:

This reminds me of a book I used to love when I was in primary school (mid-'90s): Alvin's Secret Code by Clifford B. Hicks. It was one of the most popular books among boys my age, its about a kid and his friends who learn about all different types of codes, both made up and ones that are used in real life, all over the place; and how to decode them. Even though it came out in freakin' 1963, I'm sure your kid would be into it, even though it is a little dated. Come to think of it, I'd definitely read it again if I ever found it...
Holy gently caress, I loved that book. I got my copy taken away at lunch because I was looking at the codes in back but the teacher was reading it to the class and didnt want me to read ahead. Nevermind I'd already read it twice! I was being BAD TO THE BONE!

But one code in that book is something I want to suggest. Take a long strip of paper, wrap it around a pencil or marker or piece of dowel, try to make it something unusual sized. Maybe a knitting needle. Secure with masking tape and write your message on it. Maybe make tic marks on one end where the paper meets up. Unravel, remove tape, send just the pencil to the kid. The next day, he gets the strip of paper with the code.

Bantaras posted:

Well, he DOES want a cat. We are planning on getting him one sometime soon, so maybe we can incorporate it into this thing. If anyone has decoded the messages you can see I have started with definite feline references...
Let his "final package" be a certificate to adopt a pet from the SPCA. (You can make your own or get one from them.) Package it like a "Please rescue me" message or something, or a "My mission is over, I'm ready for pick up, Agent Cooper!" Then he can go in and use his logic to figure out which cat is "his" and bring him home.

So he won't worry whether he got the right cat, work with the SPCA staff. If there's a cat he really likes but he's not sure it's the "right one," they can (with a nod from Dad) say, "Well, it's so mysterious, he just showed up one day out of nowhere with this note." And they show him the note, and it's written in the code, saying, "I'm the one--take me home!" Or he picks out the cat and when they hand him the adoption papers, there's one last note slipped in saying, "I'm the right cat--good work, Agent! I'll be maintaining radio silence for a while to keep our cover secure. Thank you for bringing me home!"

Holy gently caress I love this stuff. I wish my nephew was close enough to do this for him (he's 7). My neice is too old and too smart. :smith:

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

SneakyCracker posted:

Bantaras - For you, I have created a True Type Font!

http://www.sneeko.net/files/CircleCodeTTF.zip

Download! Enjoy! :c00l:

(note: you had no letter Z in your original code cypher - I created one for you.)

Holy CARP! I was jus doin this when I happened to refresh the thread. ( i made it to the letter D!) That font program isn't too bad once you read the instructions -- But many THANKS! I'll load yours up now.

whistlebritches
Sep 5, 2007
Most frantic / Where's the ammo?

AceClown posted:

Buy a crappy old book and hollow the middle out and put an old cassette tape in there.

On the tape have the voice (use a changer program) say "NUMBERS EQUAL LETTERS" then have the voice read out strings of numbers, so "hello" would be "8,5,12,12,15,BREAK"

Then mail the book to him.

I think something like this would be pretty cool, especially if you had the book filed correctly and it helped him to learn how to use the library.

It also might be cool if you work with some other parents to get his friends into this.

Polyaegos posted:

Instructables has a few instructions for making a book safe. That link actually has instructions for building a voice-recording module into the book too. If you've got the know-how, that might make things really interesting. "Your mission, should you choose to accept it...."

Building a voice module sounds a little overly-complicated. Type whatever you want into notepad, then click start --> run --> and type "narrator". It will read whatever you've got on the screen in a super awesome sounding computer voice and you can just record that straight onto tape.

All Hat No Cattle posted:

Let his "final package" be a certificate to adopt a pet from the SPCA. (You can make your own or get one from them.) Package it like a "Please rescue me" message or something, or a "My mission is over, I'm ready for pick up, Agent Cooper!" Then he can go in and use his logic to figure out which cat is "his" and bring him home.

So he won't worry whether he got the right cat, work with the SPCA staff. If there's a cat he really likes but he's not sure it's the "right one," they can (with a nod from Dad) say, "Well, it's so mysterious, he just showed up one day out of nowhere with this note." And they show him the note, and it's written in the code, saying, "I'm the one--take me home!" Or he picks out the cat and when they hand him the adoption papers, there's one last note slipped in saying, "I'm the right cat--good work, Agent! I'll be maintaining radio silence for a while to keep our cover secure. Thank you for bringing me home!"

That's super cute. Great project, OP! Good luck!

All Hat No Cattle
Apr 18, 2005

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.
Ohhh oohh, instead of the cat being the agent, he could also be the "package" the Mysterious Code Sending Agent needs him to take care of. That way he won't be expecting the cat to have a decoder ring or anything.

I wasn't sure if my instructions were clear (plus I wanted an excuse to do it) so I did a visual for you. I used a chopstick and it worked out awesome. The tapered shape makes it more "unique," too. The tic marks are hard to see, but I did one tic mark for the top end and two for the bottom.

My message reads this is so loving cool will you adopt me

Edit:

whistlebritches posted:

Building a voice module sounds a little overly-complicated. Type whatever you want into notepad, then click start --> run --> and type "narrator". It will read whatever you've got on the screen in a super awesome sounding computer voice and you can just record that straight onto tape.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think AC Moore (arts & craft store) carries little chips where you can record your own message. They work like those music cards where you open it and the Star Wars theme or something plays, only you get to put whatever you want on the chip.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

All Hat No Cattle fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 8, 2008

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

SneakyCracker:

whistlebritches posted:

I guy a few post up (Rupert?) offered to do the recording for me. I'm not so sure I could figure out how to record the voice as an MP3. I know how to do it from an in-line mike.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Let me know. I could even post a sample.

Please do! Can you make it sound far away and static-ey?

All Hat No Cattle posted:

Wow, I'm glad I posted this thread. This is good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bantaras posted:

I guy a few post up (Rupert?) offered to do the recording for me. I'm not so sure I could figure out how to record the voice as an MP3. I know how to do it from an in-line mike.

I'll do it when I get home, won't be until later on tonight (8-9 EST). And it'll be in mp3 format. I'll post it to https://www.tindeck.com

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 8, 2008

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

opaopa13 posted:

If you want to switch it up, you could send a coded message saying that the sender is worried the code may be compromised, and send a puzzle instead. Maybe something simple, like a grid and a list of coordinates to color in (I'm sure he'd ask you about the strange list of pairs of numbers) to create a few words or some monochrome pixel art, Picross-style. If you REALLY want to drive him crazy, send him the empty or partially filled-in grid one day, then the coordinate list a day or two later.

I think this is a loving awesome idea. 8 year olds can most definitely understand graphs if they're taught how to read and create them, but I doubt most schools do until a bit later on. This will give him a head start on that.

You should try to incorporate math somehow. Write a note saying that the code has been compromised, then give him a new key with numbers representing letters. Then send the next message entirely in equations, be it multiplication, division, exponents... hell, I bet you could teach him basic algebra. Simple things like 2^3 = ?, with 8 being some corresponding letter, or 6 - y = 4, with 2 being another corresponding letter.

He probably won't be able to do it by himself initially, but if you sit down with him and explain how to do a sentence or so there's no doubt he'll be able to finish it by himself, and in doing so learn some basic math that he won't be taught for another couple of years.

This is seriously cool, either way, and I hope I'll do stuff like this when I'm a dad.

All Hat No Cattle
Apr 18, 2005

Bantaras posted:

That is going to be so loving cool and I can't wait to hear it.

Edit: Oh oh, another idea, inspired by the "code compromised" guy. Go to craft/arts/hobby store, buy small blank puzzle. They're like a buck or something. Use a sharpie to write the message on it. Break apart, hide the pieces around the house. (Or better yet, put them in little baggies, a piece or two each, and hide them around the yard or the park.) Kid gets message about code being compromised, new code is scattered around the yard/house/wherever, kid gets to go on scavenger hunt. He puts it together for his new code.

Might want to do two of those puzzles and keep one for yourself in case you forget where something was hidden.

All Hat No Cattle fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 8, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

As an aside, does he have a DS? If so, an amazing present for him to find at the end, or maybe during would be a copy of Professor Layton and the Curious Village. It's basically a game with brainteasers, and it's got a neat story. Very well made.

DrakoDWyvrex
Feb 5, 2006

Ericcorp posted:

No love for my spy hotline idea?

I though it was great.

This thread make me appreciate the cool things my parents did for us like this.

I also wanted n~th the adopt a pet thing. So much more awesome than the time I set a trap for the Easter Bunny and caught him.

And since she'll probably read this: Hi Mom!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DrakoDWyvrex posted:

I though it was great.

This thread make me appreciate the cool things my parents did for us like this.

I also wanted n~th the adopt a pet thing. So much more awesome than the time I set a trap for the Easter Bunny and caught him.

And since she'll probably read this: Hi Mom!

Your mom's a goon?

whistlebritches
Sep 5, 2007
Most frantic / Where's the ammo?

Bantaras posted:

[...]

Can you make it sound far away and static-ey?

I wasn't even thinking about MP3s or anything. I just figured you'd hold your tape recorder up to your speakers. That would also give you your static-ey, far away sound. It doesn't have to be fancy.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

Bantaras posted:

SneakyCracker:

Not a problem! I, like many others, have gotten sucked into this thread and idea, and when my own son is old enough (he's only 1 year old now) I'm going to do this very same thing for him.

So really - Thank you. :)

kobraski
Mar 11, 2007

OOPS I HAVE A SCREWDRIVER IN MY FOOT :(

Bantaras posted:

Here's the Lego Bionicle code that looks strikingly similar to mine. Even some of the symbols are the same.

O well, I guess a lot of ideas you have, someone has thought of before. This is kinda strange though. Maybe I saw it on a commercial or something and filed it away in my mind as a neat alphabet.

Ahh! I worked at my local LEGO store for a couple of years and was the resident Bionicle expert, I used to be fluent in that code. I think now is the time to pick it up again and send my friends creepy encoded messages... thanks for posting it!

It'll be rather confusing for your son if he finds a copy of it though...!

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

This is amazing.

SuperJens
May 1, 2003

No need for text here please thanks you very much come again
I love the GPS / Geocaching idea posted earlier. Send coded coordinates, he can plug them into Google Earth or something, it'll teach him a bit about geography and orienteering. Then spend the day trekking to the spot, maybe incorporate an overnight camping trip or something. I know I'll be doing stuff like this for sure when my kid is old enough.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
gently caress it, lets just create an entire ARG for your kid to play through.

Hotdog Farmer
Sep 12, 2005

But seriously, grow some balls.
Banteras, do you have a messenger s/n? I'd like to help make this a bit more mysterious.

Here's hoping

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
Gamer, geek, and ladies man
This idea is awesome. I'm jumping on the "Wish my parents were this cool" bandwagon. I'll be sure to do this for my kids later on in life. Being a computer major with a girlfriend in chemistry could make it really interesting.

This is also something I'd do now with my buddies, with a more tech edge to it. Call me a dork, whatever, but I'm nuts about this stuff.

And if you're thinking a kitty isn't appropriate, but a Wii is too expensive (and hard to find), try a DS with Professor Layton and the curious village. Great puzzle game that was even challenging to me on some spots.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

Ericcorp posted:

1) Get an old book from a library book sale
2) Get a dremel
3) Cut hole with dremel

Just ask the librarian to help you with the book setup, she won't mind, I'm sure. Just as long as you don't live in Upper Saddle River NJ, the librarians are real uptight here.

My aunt is a librarian there :(

Even better is just using an electric knife.

Team Evil
Feb 12, 2007

Quacking off agaaiiiiin

Armpit Luvr posted:

^^^It's a fine line between letting the local shopkeep in on it and sending him the message "it's okay to talk to strangers" 8 years old is like 2nd grade.

Games like these are great ways to trick kids into learning critical thinking skills.

Are you bilingual/near a border at all? Try the next one in a different language and see if he's smart enough to recognize/babelfish it. Or do it backwards. Or do it with no vowels. If you really want to get into it, just buy a PO Box and have him mail answers back his his mystery benefactor.

Also, be sure to make one of the prizes sports tickets or a baseball glove or something, so he doesn't end up a total dorkus malorkus.

When I was in HS there were a few families who would shop at the grocery store I worked at, very quickly I got the know the kids and I would have really enjoyed playing along with this. However, I had been seeing these families for quite a while, so if you do this make sure you know guy working.

Now I wonder how jake is doing (the kid) I last saw him about 4 years ago and he was probably about 10.

This is just an awesome idea.

kitty_sama
Jun 22, 2004
ROWR!
I know suggestions have already been made for the hollowed out book, but to prevent the pages from flopping all about, I recommend following the wikihow guide: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Hollow-Book

When I was little, my dad and I made one for my "super secret diary" to hide in, but we used rubber cement instead of the suggested glue wash.

I wish your son the best of success in his continued secret message endeavors, and throw in my support for you as an awesome dad!

Team Evil
Feb 12, 2007

Quacking off agaaiiiiin

SublimeDelusions posted:

This makes me wish that my parents were this cool when I was younger. They never did anything remotely fun for me. They worked too much..

I'm all for the hollowed out book idea. I would also go with the voice changer program, or that one tool in microsoft word that says whatever you type. Something tells me that he'd really love going to the library and getting the book. Bonus if you work it out with the librarian to have it held behind the desk for him. Coded exchange phrases are a bit cheesy, but I'm sure a little kid would love it. Plus, if the library story thread is any example, the librarian would love the break too.

I really want to see how this turns out now.

If you need some help with the audio aspect, I have all sorts of audio applications and filters, (as many of us do. Audition 3 plus a billion plugins) I have no problem setting up something to sound like a numbers station and producing it for you. I can then drop it on my site for you to download, or email it to you in mp3 form.

EFB but If you want i would love to do it anyway. I have some ideas about how to make it sound all sorts of cool retro 50's ish but not too complex or overwhelming for an 8 yr old.

Let me know

Team Evil fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 8, 2008

A Car with Legs???
Apr 21, 2005

by elpintogrande
You might want to put words he doesn't know in the messages. When he asks what they mean, you could tell him to look it up in the dictionary. Then have another letter or note within the pages of the words he's looking for. Boost his vocabulary and add excitement.

redpython
Sep 17, 2006

You remind me of the babe!
We need an arch enemy. Someone who he is trying to outwit. Maybe if he figures out the clues in X amount of time he will foil the plot of evil Dr. Goony Goon! Put some pressure on him to save the world! It will boost his self esteem. Saving the world will do that to a person.

MooglyGuy
Jun 14, 2006

Angry Hudson characters make me happy
I'm surprised that nobody so far has mentioned The Eleventh Hour. It's a fantastic book of codes wrapped in an interesting storyline / thievery mystery plot, and it was given to me by my parents when I was around your son's age. It's fantastic, but make sure he doesn't open the solution section until he's well and truly solved all of the sections!

Team Evil
Feb 12, 2007

Quacking off agaaiiiiin
Okay because i dont feel like working at work, I have acquired a metric gently caress ton of number station audio as well as recording 1-26 and end transmission. Now time to craft a message.

Any ideas?

avssois
Aug 19, 2007
an endeavor
In addition to, or instead of the voice on the tape thing, something that could be awesome would be to record this, stick it on an iPod, and then use an iTrip or whatever to broadcast it on an FM station. Stick it on repeat track and send him a note containing the frequency. Very much like a numbers station then.

Hotdog Farmer
Sep 12, 2005

But seriously, grow some balls.

redpython posted:

We need an arch enemy. Someone who he is trying to outwit. Maybe if he figures out the clues in X amount of time he will foil the plot of evil Dr. Goony Goon! Put some pressure on him to save the world! It will boost his self esteem. Saving the world will do that to a person.

I want his messenger contact so I can get his mailing address to mail the kid postcards from another country, or send padded envelopes with tapes and CDs and pictures disputing the clues he's getting as if they are from the baddies and this other international organization needs his help to decipher the clues and codes they've been getting and that all is not what they appear.

I wanna get this kid like he's into something he is needed for. :) It'd be fun. Making him an honorary member etc.

1k in Motion
Oct 28, 2007
football love

MooglyGuy posted:

I'm surprised that nobody so far has mentioned The Eleventh Hour. It's a fantastic book of codes wrapped in an interesting storyline / thievery mystery plot, and it was given to me by my parents when I was around your son's age. It's fantastic, but make sure he doesn't open the solution section until he's well and truly solved all of the sections!

Hah! I remember the eleventh hour! My mom taught me to read with this book :)

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
I honestly don't know about making it really based on saving the world or something, but maybe you can talk to his teacher and say "If he gets an A, give him this envelope." And the teacher can say "This came under my door today, its for you." After you give him a note to get an A or some bullshit like that.

Anyway, you sir, are the loving Captain of The Internet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
11th hour...I remember that book.

freakin' mice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Is A Streaker
Dec 21, 2005

Stalinist Leanings posted:

do not bury a puppy or a kitten

I don't know why, but this one line made me burst out laughing. My entire computer lab is giving me dirty looks.