Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A Glum Plum posted:

He's eight, so maybe get him something that you could pass off as spy equipment, say a small flashlight, pair of sunglasses, hollowed out hardcover book, and an alarm clock, or whatever, and hide them around the house. Have the message say something like "You have been accepted into the _________ Agency, Agent "his name). We have placed your materials around your safe house for free usage." or something like that, and have him look for them by solving the code. I'm sure there are plenty of stores that would sell spy kits or something made for children.

My god, do this! Seriously. Post results.

I think the best thing about this is that he'll probably end up doing this for his kid when he's a dad. A good example of a cycle.

AceClown posted:

Buy a crappy old book and hollow the middle out and put an old cassette tape in there.

On the tape have the voice (use a changer program) say "NUMBERS EQUAL LETTERS" then have the voice read out strings of numbers, so "hello" would be "8,5,12,12,15,BREAK"

Then mail the book to him.

I can definitely help with this! I love stuff like this, and would gladly do what I could to make it sound 'official and government-like'. Although it'd probably easier all around using a CD. If it's a large book, you could definitely do this. OR just put it in a manilla envelope.

Let me know. I could even post a sample.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bantaras posted:

I guy a few post up (Rupert?) offered to do the recording for me. I'm not so sure I could figure out how to record the voice as an MP3. I know how to do it from an in-line mike.

Please do! Can you make it sound far away and static-ey?

I'll do it when I get home, won't be until later on tonight (8-9 EST). And it'll be in mp3 format. I'll post it to https://www.tindeck.com

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 8, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

As an aside, does he have a DS? If so, an amazing present for him to find at the end, or maybe during would be a copy of Professor Layton and the Curious Village. It's basically a game with brainteasers, and it's got a neat story. Very well made.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DrakoDWyvrex posted:

I though it was great.

This thread make me appreciate the cool things my parents did for us like this.

I also wanted n~th the adopt a pet thing. So much more awesome than the time I set a trap for the Easter Bunny and caught him.

And since she'll probably read this: Hi Mom!

Your mom's a goon?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is just something quick I whipped up. If it's too creepy, or you want anything changed, let me know.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

meatcookie posted:

Actually, that's nicely appropriate. John Le Carré is (frequently) a spy novelist in addition to having been a spy himself. I don't remember if that one's any good though.

Rupert, that numbers station sounds fantastic, good job.

Thank you very much!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

I did something similar when my son was 10 for Christmas. He wanted a red electric guitar and a videogame system. In his stocking I left a note from Santa going on about some evil elves chasing him so he's had to move the present somewhere else.

This led him all over the house with clues instead of just 'go look in big bird's mouth', it said 'find the one bird in the house' and poo poo like that. In the end, the guitar and games were under his bed. It blew his mind that they were under him the whole time.

He's 20 now and he still brings those 12 notes out every Christmas to show anybody who'll listen.

ps: bury the cat. It will teach him about the frailty of life.

Same sort of thing happened to me when I was about 15. Guitar was under the couch, and the last present I opened up was the case. Note inside said 'Look underneath'.

Again, I applaud the OP for all of this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bantaras posted:

I thought about this, but the two local Librarians we have would absolutely go nuts if I handed them a mutilated book. I think my best bet is to hide it on the shelves somewhere while mom has him distracted.

this is a test : )

Rupert
This is awesome. I like the bit of distortion in your voice. Are you sure you aren’t a numbers station operator? Only suggestion I would have is a little less volume in your voice, but other than that it’s perfect.

we will contact you soon agent :)

Spazdsp
This sounds great. I love it. Do you have a way to add some static in the background? It would make it sound more retro. That's the only thing I would add. The only thing that might make it sound a bit over the top is a bit of a gurgling (aqua?) noise I heard from time to time, but really it might have been my imagination.

How about if we have Rupert do the voice recording and post the mp3 here in the thread.
Then I was thinking Spazdsp could take it and work some of his magic on it. The end result would be posted here for all to enjoy, and both of you guys would have a hand in it.

Just that fact that you have offered blows me away. This is really cool of you guys

I'll do whatever I need to do. This is right up my alley (trying to start an audio post-production company). Just tell me what to say.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

spazdsp posted:

ninja edit Rupert what audio program are you using? If you would like I could "give" you a copy of audition or athelton live if you want. (i dont know how much you do with this stuff, but if i can help cool)

I'm using Logic Pro 8, and also have a copy of ProTools. I'm good for all audio fronts. I could even do up some music if he wanted, but I haven't since I figured it was unnecessary. I can quite literally do anything with Logic, it's wonderful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

spazdsp posted:

Ahh you evil apple users, I need to learn protools, that program has vexed me so far. Logic is a great program as well. On the fun side, if there are any plugins you would like i also have a bajillion of those in RTAS VST and Direct x form.

I also thought about music but just did not chose to add any. Do you play in a band? or just like to gently caress with audio? Either way i would love to hear some of your stuff.

I appreciate the plugin offer, but I only deal with Audio units (I dont' actually have protools installed, since I don't really like it that much, so RTAS is out the window) and I don't have a VST wrapper (yet).

As for music (and a thread derail) I make my own stuff. I'm working on my website right now, and will have a bunch of examples up there when it's all done. URL's in my profile.

Are you on msn? slaptheolsentwins at hotmail.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bantaras posted:

I have decided to drop the book code. I went to the Library and checked out a big book on cats, but the process of picking out words and counting them is enough to drive me crazy. We'll just use the number code.

Ok Rupert, this is for you to record. Don't worry about any instructions in the recording. I'll mail a note.

8-5-12-12-15/ 9-6/ 15-15-21/ 8-1-22-5/
7-15-20-20-5-14/ 20-8-9-19/ 6-1-18/ 23-5/
11-14-15-23/ 23-5/ 3-1-14/ 20-18-21-19-20/
25-15-21/

20-8-5/ 14-5-24-20/ 20-1-19-11/ 9-19/ 1/
16-21-26-26-12-5-18/ 25-15-21/ 23-9-12-12/
6-9-14-4/ 1-14/ 9-20-5-13/ 2-21-18-9-5-4/
21-14-4-5-18/ 20-8-5/ 20-18-1-19-8/ 3-1-14/
9-14/ 20-8-5/ 15-12-4/ 16-1-18-11/
21-19-5-2-1-12-12/ 6-9-5-12-4

7-15-15-4/ 12-21-3-11

HELLO IF YOU HAVE GOTTEN THIS FAR
WE KNOW WE CAN TRUST YOU THE NEXT TASK IS
A PUZZLER YOU WILL FIND AN ITEM BURIED UNDER
THE TRASH CAN IN THE OLD PARK BASEBALL FIELD
GOOD LUCK

Anyone wanna check my math? 1=A, 2=B, 3=C, etc.

I'll get on it tonight. Tindeck (like before) alright?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

spazdsp posted:

hey i set up an ftp log in for you on my webpage

user name is RupertButtermilk
password is the code an rear end in a top hat uses for luggage

Code doesn't work. Hmmm...

In the meantime...

Oh, and at the beginning of BASEBALL, you had written 21 and not 2 1. I originally recorded it like that, and was listening back and reading the translation, and found that error, so I rerecorded it with the fix. Not sure about later letters, but everything seemed to check out.

Also, I almost forgot to cut out me saying to my girlfriend 'Wow, that's a lot of loving numbers'. Loved it, though.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 10, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

spazdsp posted:

sorry got distracted at work. the pass was 12345 which I am thinking was a space balls reference, but now i will get it from you. thanks

I will get this done tomorrow morning, so it will be ready by noonish before i got to work.

edit fun can you send me the raw voice, i will put the number station noise under it. The stuff i posted earlier wont loop correctly cause i have a pitch shifter on it which slowed it down at the end.

I could actually probably loop this for you, I've looped tons of noises before, no problem.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There ya go, man. Sorry for the delay. And thanks spazdsp for that wonderful ending. Seriously, everyone skip ahead to that part. I actually really love it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quick note to let you know that there's a type on the webpage. Right under evil organization. Sentence starts with an E, looks like it should be "We".

And, to the OP, glad to be of help :) I hope he likes it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Any chance of possibly videotaping the last reveal? That'd be awesome; we could all see the fruit of our/your labour!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd suggest iMovie, which is the Windows Movie Maker equivalent for mac, for any mac goons here. I'd do it, but I removed it from my system (audio guy, not a film guy).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think Bantaras should keep it to himself/ourselves, but should definitely get Archives if he doesn't have it, so 5 years down the road, you can show him the whole thing.

Also, I think this whole thing should make frontpage. Although it is totally the opposite of 'something awful'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bantaras posted:

Yeah, I think this type of forum wouldn't be very appropriate place to reveal to him all the ins and outs. Even in this thread, some folks use choice words that might not be beneficial to him at his age.

I was thinking of putting the whole thing together and posting it on a site somewhere in a linear fashion. It could be for the purpose of showing it to him later, but also to just share the idea so someone else could do something similar for their kid. I'm not quite sure how to do that though without coming off as just showing off.

Blogspot would probably be a good place to put something quick up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm really glad to have been a part of this Bantaras. Glad it all turned out well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wow, man... wow. Good job. And TWO cats. Nice.