Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.
This is awesome. I had a book of codes as a kid, and I'd give messages to my mom and dad and ask them to try and crack them. I don't think my dad ever got any, but my mom figured out a few by realizing I rarely had anything to put in the messages besides, "I love you".

If you want to switch it up, you could send a coded message saying that the sender is worried the code may be compromised, and send a puzzle instead. Maybe something simple, like a grid and a list of coordinates to color in (I'm sure he'd ask you about the strange list of pairs of numbers) to create a few words or some monochrome pixel art, Picross-style. If you REALLY want to drive him crazy, send him the empty or partially filled-in grid one day, then the coordinate list a day or two later.

You could also try things like making your own jigsaw puzzle, or writing a message on the back of a pre-made one. In High School, for a treasure hunt, a friend wrote a locker number and the code to the combination lock across a series of small, plastic, farm animal toys, then left clues for figuring out the order of the animals. You could probably adapt that idea pretty easily. I'm a fan of tactile puzzles, I suppose.

And I have to agree with The Hoobit about being leery of the idea of giving an animal as a gift -- it sets a bad precedent, if you put animals in the same category as objects. If you do it (and it is a really cute idea :3: ), I'd make sure to explain to your son that it was the result of a well-reasoned decision, not a whim, and that the cat is your family's responsibility now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

MooglyGuy posted:

I'm surprised that nobody so far has mentioned The Eleventh Hour.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes.

For everyone has told the truth!