Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

As a suggestion for spicing up the code (if you want to make it a little trickier for him), you could rotate each letter ninety degrees at a time.

Of course you'd need some kind of clue on how to decipher it - maybe arrows forming 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 of a circle along the top?

I don't know, maybe that's too complicated.

Bantaras posted:

Yeah, it's hard to proof read in code. You get towards the end and you really don't wanna put anymore time into it.
I found myself jus leaving the things you mentioned for the funny enqrish factor.
(missed the preposition)

I always check to make sure my participle doesn't dangle though.

If you're just writing the messages plain jane, you could always make a font out of your code. Then you could just type the messages normally and convert it to the code font once you're done.

Akumu fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Bantaras posted:

This can be done? Speak truth and teach us o wise mage.
cutting and pasting to MSWord gets tedious.

Look for "The Font Creator Program 4," it's shareware but highly functional without registering. I've used it in the past. You can paste in rasterized images for each glyph (character) and it will form a vector glyph automatically. It'll be a bit of work to get the font off the ground but it should save you some time afterwards.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Bantaras posted:

Am I reading that right? a phone with a bit of airtime for $10? What’s the catch - only like 1 minute of time allotted or some hidden fee somewhere? Cause the WOW factor of getting a cell phone in the mail a waiting for a secret message when you are eight has gotta rate really really high on the coolness scale.

I've used pre-paid cellphones in treasure hunts in the past, and they work great. You can get an hour of airtime, a phone number, and a crappy-rear end phone for $15. You can find them on the rack in the electronics department of Target.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Bantaras posted:

Been thinking about the Cell Phone... do even the cheap ones have caller ID – showing you the number that’s calling? If so, then it’d be unusable I’m thinking.

You could buy two and phone the one you give to your son from the other!