Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Definitely a rat derivative based on what is clearly a 30p compensation cap.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks a tonne both of you. Figures my favourite distortion was yet another rat haha. If it works...

Since it's impossible to find these and I really want one on my board I'm thinking of asking Tym Guitars to clone it if they're willing. And fix the switch on this one!

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

syntaxfunction posted:

Thanks a tonne both of you. Figures my favourite distortion was yet another rat haha. If it works...

Since it's impossible to find these and I really want one on my board I'm thinking of asking Tym Guitars to clone it if they're willing. And fix the switch on this one!

Wish I could have been more helpful w/r/t to what the switch is doing! Good luck!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Any recommendations for a cheapish chorus pedal? Was thinking a tc 3rd dimension but wanted to check some other pedals out.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Krustic posted:

Any recommendations for a cheapish chorus pedal? Was thinking a tc 3rd dimension but wanted to check some other pedals out.

I'd get that one because it's a clone of the best chorus ever: the Dimension C, and for a good price.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Was the Carcosa fuzz actually good, or just a meme because it was cheap and people had nostalgia for DOD? Since they’re like $60 used I was thinking about grabbing one but they always sound slightly rear end in the youtube demos I’ve seen, and I remember the other new-DOD stuff feeling meh in person.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Carcosa is a fuzzrite with an active tone control. It rules. The Boneshaker is a generic op-amp overdrive with a broken-from-the-factory parametric eq. HTH

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I am not sure what thread this question belongs in, but can somebody break down what sonic characteristics of an analogue (or analogue-modeling) compressor make it so desireable? I understand the difference between digital and analogue when it comes to a lot of effects, but I am not sure what I am supposed to be listening for when it comes to compressors, beyond some vague notions of "warmth" or whatever.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I am not sure what thread this question belongs in, but can somebody break down what sonic characteristics of an analogue (or analogue-modeling) compressor make it so desireable? I understand the difference between digital and analogue when it comes to a lot of effects, but I am not sure what I am supposed to be listening for when it comes to compressors, beyond some vague notions of "warmth" or whatever.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

some vague notions of "warmth" or whatever.

It is this both ironically and genuinely. A good compression circuit is going to add a load of harmonic content and general signal distortion (in the sense of altering the sound source rather than chugga chugga distortion), just like a good preamp would.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It depends on the compressor, its like guitar amps where a given one may have certain characteristics you may or may not find pleasing.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

The whole Carcosa fuzz discussion earlier reminded me that such things exist and I remembered I'd kinda wanted one but never got one. Then a couple days later, a buddy of mine was selling his, so now I have one. Based on a quick test, it rules, but then I am a doomhead.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

you can get doom sounds, you can get 60s velcro, or you can get tweed on the verge of meltdown, but that’s it, those are the only three fuzz sounds that the carcosa can do

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Isn't that all of them, though?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can use a Fuzz Face to get absolutely amazing clean tone.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 19, 2020

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

you can get doom sounds, you can get 60s velcro, or you can get tweed on the verge of meltdown, but that’s it, those are the only three fuzz sounds that the carcosa can do

But it can also do clean boost, drive, distortion and a pretty good muff impersonation if you know what you're doing. It's incredibly responsive to EQ and compression for a fuzz pedal. Saving up my bucks for a yellow spiral drive though.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

If you look up some of the most famous analog compressors like the UA-1176, API 525, LA-2A, LA-3A, Neve 2254, etc. you can find descriptions of the unique characteristics they have. Take the UA-1176 for example, it is known for having incredibly fast attack and release times which can add a lot of bite and brightness to a sound. Analog gear often colors a sound and the different types of compressors do this in their own unique and sometimes subtle ways.

warplain
Nov 19, 2018

So I'm finally looking to get a couple pedals, namely considering overdrive, reverb, and distortion to give some options; I'm mainly into folk/americana, rock, and metal.

Considering something like:
- Fulltone OCD
- MXR Fullbore Metal
- Some sort of reverb pedal

Any thoughts on this plan? Any suggestions on the reverb to pick up? And also super open to alternatives on the overdrive/distortion.

warplain fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 21, 2020

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

warplain posted:

So I'm finally looking to get a couple pedals, namely considering overdrive, reverb, and distortion to give some options; I'm mainly into folk/americana, rock, and metal.

Considering something like:
- Fulltone OCD
- MXR Fullbore Metal
- Some sort of reverb pedal

Any thoughts on this plan? Any suggestions on the reverb to pick up? And also super open to alternatives on the overdrive/distortion.

I really like the Hall of Fame reverb. It's not very expensive used and the version 2 is just minor changes to version 1 so you can get version 1 even cheaper.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
there's also the digitech hardwire reverb which is basically a poor man's strymon and usually goes for less than 1/4 the price whenever they pop up on reverb/ebay/craigslist/whatever

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

MXR fullbore reverb is IMO one of the worst pedals I have ever played.

If I really wanted metal tone in a box and didnt want to splash out on something like diezels pedal I'd go digital and get something like mooers single stomp amp modellers.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 21, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

massive spider posted:

MXR fullbore reverb is IMO one of the worst pedals I have ever played.

If I really wanted metal tone in a box and didnt want to splash out on something like diezels pedal I'd go digital and get something like mooers single stomp amp modellers.

yeah for metal distortion you’re better off getting something like the crunch box (either the mi audio original or the joyo clone) and goosing it with the ocd unless there’s a specific metal tone that you’re trying to cop (in which case finding a preamp in a box of said metal tone will serve you better)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

OCD can probably do metal on its own if you're talking JCM800 tones.

e; or with a tube screamer in front

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sqgZ00WP4

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 23, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Get a Crunchbox or a Red Llama.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey pedal nerds, got an EQ question for you. I own a Peavey Triumph 60 head, which has it's tonestack BEFORE anything else. So it doesn't give me the prem-o toneshaping I want. All suggestions say to chuck an EQ in the loop and run the amp EQ flat out (which by itself sounds far better).

My question is: Are there pedals that are made to emulate a tonestack of a popular amp? Para and Graphic EQs are a thing but I am curious if anyone's taken, say, the values of a JCM800's tonestack and thrown it in a pedal. That'd be an interesting way to change the sound without being overwhelming.

Alternatively are there guides to emulating famous tonestacks with a graphic EQ?

Thanks.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Mesa Boogie sells a pedal version of the Mark series' graphic EQ, although the price is a bit ridiculous: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BoogieEQ--mesa-boogie-boogie-five-band-graphic-eq-pedal

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would get a Boss GE-7 and chuck it in the loop. It’s an active EQ so you won’t get signal loss and you can boost frequencies in addition to cutting them. It’s a 7-band, inductorless version of the Mesa pedal except it’s a lot less money.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm sure the Mesa claims to have some magic sauce that makes it three times better than a normal EQ pedal. I haven't got a clue what it could be, though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

I'm sure the Mesa claims to have some magic sauce that makes it three times better than a normal EQ pedal. I haven't got a clue what it could be, though.

I dunno if they do but it’s been torn apart and analyzed and found to be an exact copy. The circuit itself is first-year EE stuff.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Maybe I'm wrong but when I bought a GE-7 it was by far one of the noisest pedals I ever used, to the extent that it creates noise when engaging any of the bands. I had to mod it to get it to not just add signal noise.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea they can be noisy as a result of Boss using lovely op-amps and caps but it's not always a game-changer for everyone and they are easily modded/fixed. Another option is the MXR 6 and 10 Band which is the same gyrator technology but higher quality components.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I dunno if they do but it’s been torn apart and analyzed and found to be an exact copy. The circuit itself is first-year EE stuffpatented by Mesa.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks, looking at the MXR 6 band keenly.

I'm not really wanting to use it to do crazy things. In fact the reason I wanted a passive one was to closer imitate a, say, Marshall reductive-only amp tonestack. As it is I just lesve the amp EQ wide open because of the way it affects the sound otherwise. Sadly this means I don't have *any* toneshaping.

Any guides for emulating different amp EQ curves with a GEQ?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hanales posted:

Mesa patent lol

Source for a patent on 5 simple LCR networks? I couldn’t find in a quick search. Sorry if I missed the joke I’ve been cutting out caffeine 😡

syntaxfunction posted:

Thanks, looking at the MXR 6 band keenly.

I'm not really wanting to use it to do crazy things. In fact the reason I wanted a passive one was to closer imitate a, say, Marshall reductive-only amp tonestack. As it is I just lesve the amp EQ wide open because of the way it affects the sound otherwise. Sadly this means I don't have *any* toneshaping.

Any guides for emulating different amp EQ curves with a GEQ?

http://www.guitarscience.net/tsc/marshall.htm
http://www.guitarscience.net/tsc/fender.htm
http://www.guitarscience.net/tsc/vox.htm

Something to consider, now that I think about it, is that unlike a graphic eq the tone controls in a FMV tone stack interact with each other creating subtle distortions you can’t get any other way. Seems weird a pedal like that wouldn’t exist. The MXR should get you there imo but if you want a little box with a buffered Fender/Marshall tone stack lemme know.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

url]http://www.guitarscience.net/tsc/marshall.htm[/url]
http://www.guitarscience.net/tsc/fender.htm
http://www.guitarscience.net/tsc/vox.htm

Something to consider, now that I think about it, is that unlike a graphic eq the tone controls in a FMV tone stack interact with each other creating subtle distortions you can’t get any other way. Seems weird a pedal like that wouldn’t exist. The MXR should get you there imo but if you want a little box with a buffered Fender/Marshall tone stack lemme know.

Thanks! I was hoping you or someone would offer haha. I would absolutely be willing to pay for a good quality tonestack box for this. If you could email my username at gmail I'd love to get it!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Source for a patent on 5 simple LCR networks? I couldn’t find in a quick search. Sorry if I missed the joke I’ve been cutting out caffeine 😡

More of a joke on Mesa patenting everything back in the day. A few were “exists already but GUITAR AMP” type things. They obviously innovated as well over time but for a company that basically spawned out of modded fenders their approach got a lot of stink eye in the industry.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

Thanks! I was hoping you or someone would offer haha. I would absolutely be willing to pay for a good quality tonestack box for this. If you could email my username at gmail I'd love to get it!

Sent😎

hanales posted:

More of a joke on Mesa patenting everything back in the day. A few were “exists already but GUITAR AMP” type things. They obviously innovated as well over time but for a company that basically spawned out of modded fenders their approach got a lot of stink eye in the industry.

Oooh Lol

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

So I'm looking at Saturnworks to make a parallel blender, and I came up with this schematic which represents my currently owned pedals.

Mainly I'm trying to fit my Sentry noise gate into the mix and was curious if this layout works work with the parallel blender. Thoughts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The Demilich posted:

So I'm looking at Saturnworks to make a parallel blender, and I came up with this schematic which represents my currently owned pedals.

Mainly I'm trying to fit my Sentry noise gate into the mix and was curious if this layout works work with the parallel blender. Thoughts?

that should be fine but if you want to make it a little simpler you can just have one parallel blend that you stick in the loop and run all of your stuff through

that'll give you less control i guess but i think your clean low end is gonna be in tact no matter what

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I don't think blending the time-based effects along with the distortion would be as effective. The way it's set up makes sense. I've done something similar in concept. I still like to blend chorus and phase.

If you had a distortion to run in front of the Pharaoh, though, that can work really well. It doesn't need tons of gain in front of it, but that pedal sounds great if you give it a biting sound to chew on, like a Distortion+ or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are there any analog delays with the ability to set bpm? I really wish the Carbon Copy Deluxe had that feature.