Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Houston Rockets posted:

Do I need a boost? I really don't understand what a clean boost does for you. Can't you just turn up the vol?

Oh, and I play blues.

Ok so it depends on a few things whether or not you would use a clean boost, such as what kind of amp you use, whether you are using a pedal for overdrive or distortion already, what kind of pickups you have also makes a difference (depending on output)

check this site quick and read the section on clipping: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampovdrv.htm

A clean boost can be used to give you that instantaneous volume boost if your amp is not near breakup, ie the clipping level. If you want to use it for distortion or overdrive, you will be near to the waveform limit for clipping and it will effectively make your signal clip harder (increase gain), and hence increase the amount of overdrive/distortion.

its all about the breakup. as soon as I learned how to harness this concept, my entire playing style changed, playing more with my guitar's volume knob to control the amount of gain, using a LPB-1 for solos to increase the compression, sustain, and the distortion...etc.

I don't know if I explained this well enough, but if you play alot of blues, and use a tube amp, look into a good boost pedal, you can get some killer tones this way.

One of you gearheads might be able to chime in since you guys are much better at describing this stuff than I am...

e:sp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah, the sound of your guitar with any type of gain is directly influenced by how loud the signal is, thats why metalheads put EMG pickups and such in their guitars so they have a signal that hits their input stage harder for BREWTAL GAIN.

A clean boost is wither a way to bring your clean sound up a little for solos if you're not already clipping, or to clip your amp harder if you are.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.
I recently got an MXR Carbon Copy, and I'm a bit irritated with it. I have it after all of my distortion and it sounds alright clean. There's a bit of muffling on the echos, but you can still hear them. However, when I turn on my distortion it effectively turns into a reverb pedal. I don't hear any of the notes I play echoing back at all, just a general background atmosphere. I'm hoping it's something I'm doing wrong, so any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Raze posted:

I recently got an MXR Carbon Copy, and I'm a bit irritated with it. I have it after all of my distortion and it sounds alright clean. There's a bit of muffling on the echos, but you can still hear them. However, when I turn on my distortion it effectively turns into a reverb pedal. I don't hear any of the notes I play echoing back at all, just a general background atmosphere. I'm hoping it's something I'm doing wrong, so any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like your distortion is losing the initial attack because of too much sustain on its own part. Try to play shorter note lengths or lower the gain a bit on the distortion pedal and if see if that helps. I don't have that problem using my Fuzz Factory with my Memory Man, but having never tried the Carbon Copy that's the only thing off the top of my mine.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I'm wondering if someone can give me a clue as to what's going on here in Better Than Ezra's version of Laid. It sounds like there's a delay going on every other note or something... it's a simple riff, but for some reason I just can't get it to sound right.

Better Than Ezra - Laid (intro)

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 9, 2020

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

mit_senf posted:

Is there a wah pedal out there that has a knob that lets you blend in some of the dry signal?

What you're looking for is a wah with an adjustable Q height. That will give less of a pronounced effect at the sweep frequency.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 9, 2020

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
So I've almost got everything in my board done, except I need two more things: a delay and a reverb. Is there a good unit out there that can do both well to save the valuable real estate on my board?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Damage Control Glass Nexus has delay and reverb, along with a modulation of your choice. Big goddamned pedal, but pristine sound quality.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

This is going to be a nice change of pace for this thread. I'm currently pricing up parts for a rack for my guitar setup. I need some advice on a few parts. First the rack itself, obviously its going to depend on what size I need, but who makes the best rack shells for live use? I will need a noise gate, I've heard the Decimator is pretty good, are there others worth a look? I've heard of lots of people using power conditioners, are these just the things that you use to power the whole rack from one plug? Wiki says they "clean up" the power but I honestly have no idea what they do. If they arnt the things for plugging everything in to, what are they called?

Also I'm torn on what to do for effects. I can't decide between a few choices, I could get a rackmount multieffects, but also the Line6 M13 looks so god drat perfect (it even has a looper!). Is there anything of similar quality for rackmounts and is it worth getting that + a footboard over the M13? (I know of good multieffects units but I don't know which is going to be better for a guitar rig, the M13 or something like a yamaha or alesis multieffects rack unit). And is it worth getting a seperate wah pedal over the built in in the M13 if I get it, and if so what is a good wah with true bypass?

Finally I have this huge urge to be an idiot and splurge on a full 31 band EQ, but is that really worth it for guitar? I've used EQs like this before but never in part of a live setup for a guitar rig so I have no idea how it would perform in that situation. Lastly, should I bother with a compressor, or am I going to be ok without one?

For context, the amp is an Engl Powerball going through an Orange 2x12 with V30s. I'd like to keep the price down if possible, but I'm not against spending a decent amount if its something thats going to last me for as long as I play guitar.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Agreed posted:

Damage Control Glass Nexus has delay and reverb, along with a modulation of your choice. Big goddamned pedal, but pristine sound quality.

That looks amazing, but it looks bigger than two pedals and does way more than I need.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

I just tried one of these at a guitar store the other day on a recommendation from a guy I know there, and it is a really awesome pedal. It wasn't even designed as a guitar pedal at first I guess, but they made it into one because people liked it as a guitar effect.

It's kind of like a really, really transparent overdrive. It just seems to make all the properties of the sound of the guitar really come alive. It's hard to describe.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

ZombiePeanut posted:

I just tried one of these at a guitar store the other day on a recommendation from a guy I know there, and it is a really awesome pedal. It wasn't even designed as a guitar pedal at first I guess, but they made it into one because people liked it as a guitar effect.

It's kind of like a really, really transparent overdrive. It just seems to make all the properties of the sound of the guitar really come alive. It's hard to describe.

What it is more exactly is a variable state filter that behaves as a bass boost and a treble exciter. In the context of a loudspeaker system with crossovers, there is a gradual delay between higher frequencies and lower frequencies, but on one speaker (or 4 speakers wired in parallel without crossover, or whatever else guitar configuration you prefer), the actual effect of that is just to introduce what amounts to a comb filter that adds some harmonic content to the treble. The "lo contour" is just a bass boosting circuit.

It isn't totally inaccurate to describe it as a midrange scoop without the stigma of a scooped midrange.

If it is an effect that you like, then by all means keep runnin' with it :) It isn't too hard to explain and understand what it actually does, though.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

the actual effect of that is just to introduce what amounts to a comb filter that adds some harmonic content to the treble. The "lo contour" is just a bass boosting circuit.

Isn't this the same sort of thing that an overdrive does? Some of them, at least.

I still need to try the new cool cat transod in person before I'd make a decision on this or that, though. Trying to find one anywhere has been a pain... probably gonna have to go to GC.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Stux posted:

Finally I have this huge urge to be an idiot and splurge on a full 31 band EQ, but is that really worth it for guitar? I've used EQs like this before but never in part of a live setup for a guitar rig so I have no idea how it would perform in that situation. Lastly, should I bother with a compressor, or am I going to be ok without one?

I can't speak to the other things, sorry, but this I have an opinion on. I had a double 31-band EQ, and for me it was waaaay too much to configure with too little sound difference. I'd say your best bet would be some sort of nice parametric EQ, especially with a drat Engl, which has plenty of tone all on it's own. :P

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm planning on buying what I intend to become my all-in-one guitar effects solution and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff in the market.

I've read about Line6's m13 and pod xt live, about Zoom's G9.2TT and I have the feeling there are more differences between them than my eye can see. I also have seen that there are several other brands like Boss, Digitech, Korg, Vox... I'm quite completely lost here.

So, any experiences or good resources to effectively compare all those products and try to figure out which one will be my best bang for the buck?

Hints: I own a Parker PM-20 and a Marshall 10W solid state practice amp. Buying a better amp is out of the question for now, as I have a very small appartment and a seven month daughter that rule out any high volume playing without headphones.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Fufo posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm planning on buying what I intend to become my all-in-one guitar effects solution and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff in the market.

I've read about Line6's m13 and pod xt live, about Zoom's G9.2TT and I have the feeling there are more differences between them than my eye can see. I also have seen that there are several other brands like Boss, Digitech, Korg, Vox... I'm quite completely lost here.

So, any experiences or good resources to effectively compare all those products and try to figure out which one will be my best bang for the buck?

Hints: I own a Parker PM-20 and a Marshall 10W solid state practice amp. Buying a better amp is out of the question for now, as I have a very small appartment and a seven month daughter that rule out any high volume playing without headphones.

You've put me in a tough spot, because the right thing to do right now is to tell you to buy a new amp before you even think about getting a MFX unit. You are literally wasting money on a MFX unit to play into that 10W practice amp. However, since you have specifically stopped me from going down that road any farther, I guess I can comment on which MFX unit I would get if I were buying one right now.

If you just want effects, the m13 is kind of a no-brainer. It's the best solution for just effects right now, with second place going to the Boss GT-10 (which used to be tops in the effects category, but then Line6 upped the ante). The GT-10, by the way, is a great choice if you want a balance between great effects and routing options (routing options, by the way, are essential in getting the right sound from your effects in the unit) AND great sounding amp models. It's a big improvement over the GT-8 in that regard. The Pod X3 is a nice unit, too, and they've significantly improved their routing options as well, but I think the effects complement, though substantial, is a little bit worse off than the GT-10. They roughly tie in the quality of their amp models, something I would not in a thousand years have said in the GT-8 vs PodXT generation.

The Zoom G9.2tt was always my favorite, and in my opinion has the best amp and dirt pedal models, but its routing options are severely limited compared to the previous two units. Same with the Digitech units (except they don't have very good sounding amp models). Since you're primarily looking for an effects solution on a sub-$500 budget, I'd say your choice is between the M13, Boss GT-10, and Pod X3. M13 if you want just effects, or one of the other two if you want effects and amp models as well. The funny thing is that the GT-10 or the Pod X3 would basically make a total joke out of the 10W practice amp, and you'd get much better sounds by plugging them into a decent set of speakers than you'll ever get from the 10-watter.

Are you sure you can't swing a low wattage tube amp? There are some great deals right now that would do much more for you than the 10W SS Marshall-in-name-only practice amp. You can get a Crate V33 for $180 from Musician's Friend, and it doesn't have to be turned up loud at all to sound good. I leave it to your discretion, of course, but with my recommendation strongly attached.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If you have to play with headphones you could just ditch the little amp and use some nice phones straight into a multi-fx with the amp and cab modelling turned on.

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!
Thanks very much to Agreed, and even though I agree (pun intended) with you that I'd probably be better off buying a half-decent tube amp, I wouldn't really get as much from it as I would from the multi-fx solution. As a matter of fact, I was bent on doing things this way and at some point get one of those "neutral" amps to go with the multi-fx board, or wait a bit anyway because in not too long I will probably recover two Magnat monitors that I bought ages ago and are stuck at my parents' place gathering dust that sounded like heaven.

Also, on another note, I did have surgery for a slipped disc as well, so going into the big heavy tube amp territory is a big no-no.

the wizards beard posted:

If you have to play with headphones you could just ditch the little amp and use some nice phones straight into a multi-fx with the amp and cab modelling turned on.

Already have a couple of really nice Senheiser wireless cans that are right now plugged to the amp. The only time I use the amp is when I go to my place in the mountains and close the basement door.

How do any of those units work for computer recording?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Fufo posted:

Thanks very much to Agreed, and even though I agree (pun intended) with you that I'd probably be better off buying a half-decent tube amp, I wouldn't really get as much from it as I would from the multi-fx solution. As a matter of fact, I was bent on doing things this way and at some point get one of those "neutral" amps to go with the multi-fx board, or wait a bit anyway because in not too long I will probably recover two Magnat monitors that I bought ages ago and are stuck at my parents' place gathering dust that sounded like heaven.

Also, on another note, I did have surgery for a slipped disc as well, so going into the big heavy tube amp territory is a big no-no.

Already have a couple of really nice Senheiser wireless cans that are right now plugged to the amp. The only time I use the amp is when I go to my place in the mountains and close the basement door.

How do any of those units work for computer recording?

Yeah, back pain puts an end to the happy, carefree times.

If you plan on going with a monitor setup, and your computer can handle it, you'd be better off spending that ~$500 on Guitar Rig 3: Rig Kontrol Edition. I've used all the MFX units, and GR3 smokes 'em severely. It has monitor outs, and a dedicated headphone out which drives my HD650 reasonably well - since you're using wireless cans, you don't have to worry about it driving anything but the transmitter. Latency is fantastically low, as low as any other MFX unit actually, and the sound quality is lightyears ahead of 'em. Caveat being that you need a good computer to run it (but I don't mean you need a supercomputer, just a speedy machine with a decent amount of RAM - a 2.4ghz AMD Barton core CPU with 1024MB of regular DDR PC3200 did a fine job with it at low latencies before I built my new PC). The software only version is cheaper, less than $300, but you really want the Rig Kontrol 3 unit. Seriously. It makes the package much sweeter, as it's a high quality sound card with nice converters, a control interface that integrates seamlessly and without any hassle into the program, and an impedance converter for your guitar or bass all in one.

The only thing is you won't have the portability of one of the floor units, unless you've got a laptop. But if you do, it will get along with a keyboard amp or active PA just fine, as it has outputs with an impedance and gain switch that will match it fine to an amp. You can even use it in your amp's effects loop if you end up getting a real amp, and just use it for its effects, which are across the board incredible.

I'm not looking back at all, this is well beyond even the best of the floor units. However, if you need portability that isn't tethered to some kind of a computer, then stick with one of those. If you're planning on going down the amp modeling road, I'd be looking between the Pod X3 and the Boss GT-10 as the current cream of the crop, with an eye towards the G9.2tt (I'd place it higher in the recommendation list, but they're hard to find to test out and I don't think you'd want to buy blind - it sure is nice, though).

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!
I'll be most probably buying online from thomann.de because finding units to test in Spain is a royal pain in the backside. Besides, ordering from the US, while advantageous now that the dollar is quite low means having to pay import taxes and having your unit retained for god knows how long until some state worker decides to release it.

I was looking for something stand-alone or as stand-alone as possible, because going the Guitar Rig 3 would mean buying a laptop as well and that would more or less double the budget. My computer at home would most likely handle it but leave me quite crippled as soon as I moved to another room in the house or went away elsewhere.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I can't say for the Boss, but the Pod can be used to record through a USB connection and works very well.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
Do any of the hardware modelers, have LFO's, velocity sensitive envelopes, followers, and sep sequencers for controlling any parameter on the thing? Seriously just watch the Guitar Rig 3 AIR video.

I will never own a massive collection of pedals again. Okay maybe a vintage space echo.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Rkelly posted:

Do any of the hardware modelers, have LFO's, velocity sensitive envelopes, followers, and sep sequencers for controlling any parameter on the thing? Seriously just watch the Guitar Rig 3 AIR video.

I will never own a massive collection of pedals again. Okay maybe a vintage space echo.

They all have LFOs now, but the rest, nothing.

But as far as the "massive collection of pedals" thing, well, you can kind of do both, if you want to...

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!
Come on, Agreed, you don't have to justify yourself here, we would do the same if we could.

And if anyone wanted to know about the Boss GT-10: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=-F1m6xdS_2g&feature=user

I can't believe the guy isn't in Boss' payroll yet.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
You could also buy a whole bunch of these http://www.music123.com/Tone-in-Progress-Third-Hand-Expression-Pedal-150146-i1175542.Music123

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

You could also buy a whole bunch of these http://www.music123.com/Tone-in-Progress-Third-Hand-Expression-Pedal-150146-i1175542.Music123

That's awesome, and I'm trying to figure out if I can afford a couple.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I've wanted one of those for a while but I can't seem to figure out how they work. The pictures never show batteries or power jacks so it might not be a motor, if it's some clever system where moving the pedal translates to a rotational force then it's really loving awesome.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I've wanted one of those for a while but I can't seem to figure out how they work. The pictures never show batteries or power jacks so it might not be a motor, if it's some clever system where moving the pedal translates to a rotational force then it's really loving awesome.

You've got it, it's just a cable drive mechanism. Direct transfer of foot power to rotation. They work really well in pretty much every application I've ever seen them used, so I'd imagine it'd work great here too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Dammit I want a Meatball (or meatwad) so bad. $600 for the 'ball, $350 for the 'wad :(

Why do awesome effects have to cost so drat much?!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Couldn't you commission a clone for less than that? I've seen quite a few McMeat DIY jobs, surely some one could do one for less than $350.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Couldn't you commission a clone for less than that? I've seen quite a few McMeat DIY jobs, surely some one could do one for less than $350.

Haha well that 'Wad is a clone. And I guess I'd be paying for the expertise of someone who has done tons of them at this point.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

3toes posted:

Haha well that 'Wad is a clone. And I guess I'd be paying for the expertise of someone who has done tons of them at this point.

As someone who is pretty into boutique stuff, don't pay that much for a clone. Don't pay that much for an original unless you're a collector and it's just gonna sit around, like some kind of rockin' investment or something.

"Expertise" is a lot cheaper than $350 in the DIY pedal world.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I would have thought that a clone would run like 200-250$. There's a whole bunch of drilling and there are a lot of pots and jacks but it's not a ridiculously complicated circuit. There are dudes really into building pedals who bulk order stuff and could get the costs pretty low, you should hit up the DIY forums and see if someone could give you a quote.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

As someone who is pretty into boutique stuff, don't pay that much for a clone. Don't pay that much for an original unless you're a collector and it's just gonna sit around, like some kind of rockin' investment or something.

"Expertise" is a lot cheaper than $350 in the DIY pedal world.

Well actually it's $320... but yeah.

I'd love to get into building poo poo like that myself, I just have no real experience with circuitry.

edit: this is the guy http://www.martoneaudio.com/

Scarf fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 14, 2008

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Thinking about getting a G9.2tt for the following reasons:

- (So I've heard) best metal/rock amp sims
- Z-pedal effect controller which I want for ..
- Making weird noises which I will use in various ambient / electronica progects
- Can be used as a MIDI controller.
- Can use it to record straight to Ableton / whatever.

Basically I'm weighing up the G9.2tt against the GT10 , the XT Live and that M-whatever huge multi-FX pedal thing that I can't afford.

Given my reasons am I buying the right thing?

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008
This is a really faggy question and I assume I'm going to get poo poo for this but..

What pedals and effects would I need to use to sound real heavy on guitar (breakdowns) I already tune to drop A and G occasionally.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Um, distortion? Maybe a noise gate too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Could try a POG or Micro POG as well and crank the sub-octave.

And how the hell do you even have enough tension on the strings to get any kind of sound other than a wet fart with Drop A and G?