Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Hedningen posted:

So . . . what are some recommended stereo pedals? Right now, I've been looking into treble boosters and trem for a psychobilly group I've been playing with, but I may have to be dumb and get multiple stereo pedals to run an unholy mix of amps and effects.

I think the best starting point for any stereo rig is a chorus. I've used all the Boss ones, some nicer high end one, and some super dirt cheap ones. All of them sound good for the most part. Set the depth super high, and the rate as slow as it goes. It's super subtle as far as the chorus sound goes, but it will make your rig sound really wide. Also delay, stereo loving delay.

Also put the cabinets as far apart as physically possible, in 3 foot increments, thats a rough guide to keeping poo poo in phase. One on either side of the drummer works very well. A lot of times the effect level on a chorus pedal will help you change the phase. A stereo chorus works by delaying one of the amps, instead 2 signals being split, delayed a little bit, and summed back together coming out of one amp.

Here's a video of one of my stereo rigs. This was used after our guitarist took a leave of absence, and I switched from bass to guitar. The band was just 2 guitars and drums, so we beefed up the low end by using 2 guitars stacks, and 2 bass stacks.

Looking back this isn't the finished version, but it's close. Tuner (always first so you can mute everything) then an AB box to get the samples in, and then I could switch back and forth and pump them through the whole rig, and use the effects on them as I'm doing in this video. You could also use an AB so that you could select which amp you want to use, but in this case I was always using both of them. Then into the chorus, 2 outputs into the stereo delay, then the "A" side went to that keely boost/overdrive, and then on to the Orange amp and 6x12s. The "B" side went into bass big muff, into the battering ram, into the Traynor and the 4x10 2x15. I ended up using an Orange OB1-500 because I sold that Traynor for tour money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0UdZxx08Is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pokey Araya posted:

I think the best starting point for any stereo rig is a chorus. I've used all the Boss ones, some nicer high end one, and some super dirt cheap ones. All of them sound good for the most part. Set the depth super high, and the rate as slow as it goes. It's super subtle as far as the chorus sound goes, but it will make your rig sound really wide. Also delay, stereo loving delay.

Also put the cabinets as far apart as physically possible, in 3 foot increments, thats a rough guide to keeping poo poo in phase. One on either side of the drummer works very well. A lot of times the effect level on a chorus pedal will help you change the phase. A stereo chorus works by delaying one of the amps, instead 2 signals being split, delayed a little bit, and summed back together coming out of one amp.

Here's a video of one of my stereo rigs. This was used after our guitarist took a leave of absence, and I switched from bass to guitar. The band was just 2 guitars and drums, so we beefed up the low end by using 2 guitars stacks, and 2 bass stacks.

Looking back this isn't the finished version, but it's close. Tuner (always first so you can mute everything) then an AB box to get the samples in, and then I could switch back and forth and pump them through the whole rig, and use the effects on them as I'm doing in this video. You could also use an AB so that you could select which amp you want to use, but in this case I was always using both of them. Then into the chorus, 2 outputs into the stereo delay, then the "A" side went to that keely boost/overdrive, and then on to the Orange amp and 6x12s. The "B" side went into bass big muff, into the battering ram, into the Traynor and the 4x10 2x15. I ended up using an Orange OB1-500 because I sold that Traynor for tour money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0UdZxx08Is

Nice you did the soundtrack to Hellraiser?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Nice you did the soundtrack to Hellraiser?

That was just some Garageband synths, unintended resemblance.

Edit: making samples is my poo poo, I always run them through my bass amp, and if you get work on them enough you can shake the drat building, especially if there's a DI or Mic on my cab.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 8, 2017

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ehx pulsar is the best stereo pedal it can really make you seasick.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I've also had great success plugging in stereo outputs from a Boss chorus into the two inputs on a Fender Hot Rod amp. While not being true stereo, it is instant Andy Summers tone.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There's a DD-500 for $200 locally. Might be able to get it lower. Thoughts? I've never owned a digital delay and for some reason I'm interested in trying one. While looking it up I realized it's true bypass too so that's always neat and rare with Boss. Only complaint is that it looks a little too complex for my taste for simplicity.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I have no issues with my digitech digital delay but let's also remember that it was free and I really only like small amounts to add a hint of depth so YMMV as heck on that one.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kilometers Davis posted:

There's a DD-500 for $200 locally. Might be able to get it lower. Thoughts? I've never owned a digital delay and for some reason I'm interested in trying one. While looking it up I realized it's true bypass too so that's always neat and rare with Boss. Only complaint is that it looks a little too complex for my taste for simplicity.

I played around with a dd500 for a while but I ended up selling it for exactly that reason.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I'll probably just pass. It's certainly a nice piece of gear but I value a combo of tone+simplicity above all else.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've never found Boss' buffer intrusive, and you can get a DD-3 for ~$65 used... about the same price as a used DD-6, for that matter.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

After The War posted:

I've never found Boss' buffer intrusive, and you can get a DD-3 for ~$65 used... about the same price as a used DD-6, for that matter.

I absolutely can't get along with Boss buffers at all :shrug:

Until I move either my TC T2 or Supernatural I think I'll wait on another delay. Too much delay and reverb has me clogged up but I'd definitely like to try something out that could challenge my Carbon Copy.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

DD500 is sexy as hell. Leave it on the vintage digital mode and embrace the modulation.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
the DD20 giga is a super affordable used stereo complex delay. Sounds great too.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I got a Trio+ today and it was super frustrating at first but I think I've finally nailed it:

- Using it with an FX Loop is a pain, it has to go in like a four-cable X-pattern noise suppressor, but it works (but you have to be super careful with the volumes when going straight into the FX return because it'll blow your eardrums out)
- The looper only works when you're at unmodified tempo - I glanced the tempo dial with my hand and then the whole of the looper function dissapeared without me realising
- The first loop auto keys-in and keys-out, which is fantastic.
- I'm super-bad at writing chord progressions

It sounds pretty great - one run through to teach, one as the first loop and then it's SOLO CITY BABY. Honestly reading the manual really is required because there's approximately seven thousand things every single button can do.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
How well does the EHX Crash Pad work as a filter pedal?

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

So Math posted:

How well does the EHX Crash Pad work as a filter pedal?

I don't think it'd work very well at all, as it doesn't have an input jack IIRC

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Why are there so few delays with precise bpm settings?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Presumably because you need an lcd to display it. The boss deluxe ones do.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

massive spider posted:

Presumably because you need an lcd to display it. The boss deluxe ones do.

True but LCD screens are dirt cheap depending on the quality.

It's a shame because I love my carbon copy tone but I need a bpm input. Tap is close but not as useful or precise.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Could be because tap is more fluid in a band situation? Don't get me wrong, I'd love a more precise pedal (and always use tempo sync on Amplitube etc), whereas my bassist prefers a set and forget for his main band where he plays guitar and takes the piss out of my need for tap.

Out of interest are there many pedals put there where tap will subdivide into triplets?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Out of interest are there many pedals put there where tap will subdivide into triplets?

the boss dd-5 and dd-7

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

True but LCD screens are dirt cheap depending on the quality.

It's a shame because I love my carbon copy tone but I need a bpm input. Tap is close but not as useful or precise.

A LOT of people are weirdos about pedal footprint so manufacturers try to make them as small as possible.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

NonzeroCircle posted:

Could be because tap is more fluid in a band situation? Don't get me wrong, I'd love a more precise pedal (and always use tempo sync on Amplitube etc), whereas my bassist prefers a set and forget for his main band where he plays guitar and takes the piss out of my need for tap.

Avalanche Run does too

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

NonzeroCircle posted:

DD-20 does that, tap and BPM settings.

I feel like I pimp that pedal a lot, but features for price it's really great, and sounds great too. I got mine for 90 bucks used.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A LOT of people are weirdos about pedal footprint so manufacturers try to make them as small as possible.

:ssh: Don't let my singer hear that or he'll think I really am choosing pedals to drive him off the stage!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

hanales posted:

DD-20 does that, tap and BPM settings.

I feel like I pimp that pedal a lot, but features for price it's really great, and sounds great too. I got mine for 90 bucks used.

The DD-20 is great poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Novum posted:

Avalanche Run does too

I love the AR and I love Earthquaker/Jamie Stillman.

edit: Although, I'd like to think that he hated working for the Black Keys as much as everyone else hates hearing them and decided soldering full time was more desirable.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 27, 2017

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Gorgar posted:

The DD-20 is great poo poo.

Hows it do with line level stuff?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
It's possible to switch it to line level yeah.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Needed a silent recording option for music that is usually recorded at fatal sound levels and found one:

quote:

The MEATSMOKE dual channel preamp is voiced for bass guitar or huge guitar sounds, and features the MEATSMOKE's unique overdrive boost.

Complete with Gain control, 3-band EQ, and Master Volume controls per channel. High and Low output modes allow for instrument-level use with a standard guitar or bass amplifier, or run directly into a power amplifier. Running one of the PREAMP PEDALS into an effects loop return or the power amplifier input of a bass or guitar amp can completely transform the amp's sound.

The dedicated record output includes a speaker simulating filter with two levels of intensity. This allows for running the PREAMP PEDALS directly into a mixing board, tape machine, or DAW, without the need for heavy power amps or speaker cabinets.

2 footswitchable channels complete with independent Gain control, 3-band EQ, and Master Volume controls per channel. Clean channel ranges from big cleans to growl, while the overdrive channel picks up where the clean channel left off going from crunch to all out thick distortion roar. Foot-switchable true-bypass switching also allows for stompbox-like functionality.

Housed in a sturdy black steel enclosure, set between two side-panels of finished birch. High-quality components are used throughout, including a regulated DC filament supply. Careful shielding circuitry layout yield huge tone with a low noise floor.

http://verellenamplifiers.bigcartel.com/product/meatsmoke-pre-amplifier

This is replacing an Orange Micro Terror I currently use (which is very good, but I want something different).

See you guys in a month or two for a trip report.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You'll enjoy that. I was using a custom job that was just a rack mount version of that preamp. It owns hard.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Hows it do with line level stuff?

Used it (in stereo!) in the effects loop of a JC-120. No issues.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Novum posted:

You'll enjoy that. I was using a custom job that was just a rack mount version of that preamp. It owns hard.

Got any clips? :allears:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 1, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Sadly no. I was just using it for a few live sets on bass. It's real loving mighty though and can get some growly and clear tone with like no effort at all.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Help me goons--I'm functionally retarded when it comes to pedal set ups, so I'm looking for some help.

I'm wanting specific effects switched on for specific channels, i.e. chorus + comp on cleans, delay and overdrive on dirty, etc. After doing some reading, it appears I need something like the Voodoo Labs PX8 which is a looper, correct?

That being said.. I'd prefer something cheaper. I've seen Loop Master makes some really nice stuff that's in my price range, but it appears they're missing the keyword to for what I want--they aren't programmable.

Or am I just way off base here? Would appreciate any and all recommendations/education.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

Help me goons--I'm functionally retarded when it comes to pedal set ups, so I'm looking for some help.

I'm wanting specific effects switched on for specific channels, i.e. chorus + comp on cleans, delay and overdrive on dirty, etc. After doing some reading, it appears I need something like the Voodoo Labs PX8 which is a looper, correct?

That being said.. I'd prefer something cheaper. I've seen Loop Master makes some really nice stuff that's in my price range, but it appears they're missing the keyword to for what I want--they aren't programmable.

Or am I just way off base here? Would appreciate any and all recommendations/education.

Here's the important question... are you getting your distortion from the amp or from pedals? If it's God's way (the latter), Loop Master definitely makes the thing for you, and I know because I own it.

So you would just do one side (the red obviously) for your distortion+those effects and the other to your clean effects. Guitar goes to "in", "out" goes to amp, you done.

If you are getting your distortion out of the amp, it gets a little more complicated... what are you running? The thread can probably figure something out.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

Yeah like ATW said if you just want one set of effects on each channel, a cheap switcher will do you fine. If you want to alter those chains regularly you'll have to go for something more expensive and programmable.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

After The War posted:

Here's the important question... are you getting your distortion from the amp or from pedals? If it's God's way (the latter), Loop Master definitely makes the thing for you, and I know because I own it.

So you would just do one side (the red obviously) for your distortion+those effects and the other to your clean effects. Guitar goes to "in", "out" goes to amp, you done.

If you are getting your distortion out of the amp, it gets a little more complicated... what are you running? The thread can probably figure something out.

I hate to break it to you, but I'm getting my distortion out of the head and the effects are just for "color."

Ideally, i want to have 4-5 different "loops"; a clean, a dirty rhythm, a lead, and possibly a slightly crunch tone (think clean with some tubescreamer on top) for bluesier poo poo.

I've seen a couple videos on the PX8 where it shows the programming side of it, but I'm kind of wanting to know if I'm going the right direction with something like that (as I'm understanding it's function anyway), and IF SO, if there's a more cost-conscious option than that.

The loop master stuff looks reeaaally great, but I didn't see any options they had for programmable, which I guess is what I'm ultimately looking for?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Is each loop going to be completely self-contained, or are you trying to get arrangements like "Program 1 is going to have loops, 1, 3, and 5", "Program 2 has 1 and 3", etc? If you want something like that, yeah, the PX is probably your best best. Loop Master does a gigantic version of what I have with individually controllable loops, but not grouping like that. Although hitting two buttons instead of one isn't that much more of a chore, and you can certainly stack them so stuff you may want to be running into the later effects is in the earlier loops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yeah, just for fun I'd say get your overdrive with a pedal and see if that simplifies your problem