Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

archie posted:

any of you guitar slingers get into the korg kaoss pads?

pretty amazing little effects units with a shedload of preset effects and ability to tweak 'em all etc.

i've also seen some people mount them into guitars which is pretty epic!

the kp3's look like this:

I've seen people do this and IMO if you're going to invest into something like that you may as well just ditch the guitar, get into synths/sampling and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any alternatives to the Boss Acoustic sim? I really want an acoustic simulation thing but I cant convince myself the soundclips of this sound good.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Crybaby -> TS9DX or TS9DX -> Crybaby?

the first one

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Leninboarrir posted:

Reading through this topic, I just realized that I'm quite the neophyte and I have no idea how an effects loop works. My amp (or rather, the amp I'm using), the Marshall MGHD100FX half stack, has an FX send and FX return jack in the back. I tried plugging my pedal chain into both jacks, and all I got was nonsense noise. Would someone mind breaking the process down for me, and what it's used for? I'm sure it's pretty simple, I just can't figure it out.

For reference, my effect chain:
Amp->DigiTech Jamman->TU-2->TR-2->MT-2->808 reissue->FZ-2.

None of those pedals bar the Jamman need to be in the loop, not even that probably.

The effects loop is used for pedals that you want to go after your amps preamp, which is where the amp gets its most of its tone coloration/gain

If you were using a delay pedal for instance, and you put it before the preamp it would be a horrible mess as all the decaying notes would be distorted together into mush. Putting in the effects loop means that it happens the other way round, and the delay starts working after the note's been distorted.

You arent using any such pedals and you're not getting your distortion from the amp anyway, so you dont need to use the fx loop.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah, the sound of your guitar with any type of gain is directly influenced by how loud the signal is, thats why metalheads put EMG pickups and such in their guitars so they have a signal that hits their input stage harder for BREWTAL GAIN.

A clean boost is wither a way to bring your clean sound up a little for solos if you're not already clipping, or to clip your amp harder if you are.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hubis posted:

The only exception to this is that some fuzz pedals (as I understand it) are actually designed to interact with the load in the pots/pickups, so that when one changes the volume the way the pedal reacts changes as well. But I think that's a vintage-only thing.

I used to have a Zoom ultra fuzz that did this. It would self oscilate and when you turned your guitars tone pot the pitch of the oscilation would change. Good times.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

lechunnel posted:

Cheers everyone for the delay advice. I've had a quick look around and much to my surprise, the Hardwire DL-8 (a digital delay) is getting a lot of props. I'm surprised because Hardwire is a Digitech line. And I've always treated Digitech pedals as cheap pieces of poo poo! But the DL-8 seems to get a lot of praise.

So, has anyone had any experience with or know anything about the Hardwire range? Won't be able to get to a shop for a while to try it myself. Here's a vid (thanks Andy at Proguitarshop.com).

Hardwire are apparantly Digitechs attempt at making "not poo poo" mid range pedals so I'd give it a shot.

Line 6 echo park is really nice.

Ibanez DE7 is actually much better than you would ever suspect. The tape sim blows my DD20 away.

DD20 I hate, its sterile and has a stupid UI.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Atomic_Amish posted:

I don't know if this has already been answered yet, so sorry if it has. I'm not entirely sure where in my chain to put my phaser and flange. I have an MXR phase 100 and EHX flanger hoax, but I'm not sure if those should be going before or after my distortion or what the pros and cons of doing it either way would be. Anyone got any advice?

I could name all the other pedals specifically if that would help. I have a big chain and this is the only part that confuses me.

I hate the sound of phaser after distortion, it sounds swooshy and tacky, if you put it before you get this awesome harmonic mush as it distorts.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 15, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tsunami Redux posted:

Now that I've learned fuzzes are awesome, I've got a boss SD-1 and metal zone that I'm less than thrilled with. Can a higher gain fuzz produce gnarly metal tones (Aenima)? I was checking out that MXR fullbore metal too. Any OD experience? I was looking at singing trees.

Aenimas guitar sound is three high gain amps; Diezel, Mesa, Marshall being played at once, a fuzz would be too mushy for metal.

Just get a nice throaty amp (one) and maybe a pedal to overdrive it a little more if you dont like the stock tone.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The TC electronics Nova Delay soudns really great and has a tonne of features.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Tsunami Redux posted:

I ended up picking up a used nova repeater in great shape for $100. It seems like it's got everything but looping. Hopefully it sounds good.

I really like the Nova delays because I used to assume that all digital delays sounded exactly the same, I mean digital repeats the sound exactly, thats what it does right? But My boss sounds noticably cleaner than the line 6 I used to have, and the Nova is really freaking pristine.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 19, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Carbon copy is a lot darker than the memory toy if that matters.

Ibanez DE7 is really good if youdont need modulation.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just put up an ad looking for a guitarist with a demo on it, a guy liked it so much he decided to email me every excruciating detail of his pedalboard.

quote:

Hi,
Solar draft sounds so my style. I have turned my eyes recently on heavily down-tuned fuzz-synth kind of tone like QOSA, White Stripes, The hives, Muse etc. Before, for a long time I have been a fan of Satriani and GNR, velvet revolver metallica type of things. However, I decided to get into the synth side of guitar as Electro harmonix came up with some excellent guitar synth pedal. I like gears a lot. But I like the idea of how jack white goes on making sound out of non-conventional piece of gear. Or josh Homme use bass cabs for those downtuned stuff. Would love to sit down with you guys and talk about the gears you guys used to get the sound in solar draft. I am guseeing Big muff with downtuned guitar .My recent rig rundown is :

Bc rich Guitar neck through floyd rose emg 81-60
Jsx Mini colossal amp
MXR dyna comp.
Morley Bad horsie wah
EHX Big muff with tone wicker
EHX HOG With expression pedal (this baby can dial out a lot of synth sound of a guitar. I use for downtuning my guitar. As this is polyphonic, it can track pretty loving well.)
EHX hum debugger (for cancelling the noise or hiss)
EHX zipper (for crazy Matthew Bellamy like squeels. I use this instead of the fuzz factory for squeels)
Vox Saturator
Vox Time machine delay
Boss RC 20 XL for looping.

My number is x. Call me up if are interested.

Kaiyes

I just, what? All those words and not one mention of how he plays guitar? Is he applying to be guitarist or does he ust really like listing off his pedals?

Also he's dead wrong because the whole song is marshall amp sims.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 17, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Right after getting an M13 I'm coming to the conclusion delay and looping are the only effects I ever really use and that I dont really need many guitar effects at all, let alone a big multieffects.

However, the M13s looper features are boss as all hell and I cant give it up.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

By contrast, the vanilla ISP decimator was fine for me if you can just leave it on the distortion channel, but if you're switching between clean and gain it kills too much of your sound.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Wampler plextortion/pixidrive?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Maybe try something else? Its not like theres a shotage of TS derivd overdrives.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

POG style 12 string sounds are pretty cool, not like a real 12 string at all though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Just thought I'd post this here, I seem to have a lot of delay pedals recently and I thought I'd muck about with them.

A TC electronic flashback, a strymon el capistan, and a line 6 M9. Not really a fair scientific comparison, I just wanted to see which sounded more useful to me in a musical/mix situation. Flashback won.

Popcorn posted:

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but my band is trying to use a loop pedal to loop a guitar part, but, inevitably, the drummer is having a hard time hearing the loop so he can keep in time with it. Any suggestions for how to fight this?

It feels like headphones should be the answer. I guess we could buy a splitter or mixer and route the loop into the amp and into a pair of headphones for him.

e: to clarify, if it isn't clear, the reason the drummer can't hear the loop is that we all end up playing stuff on top of it and it gets buried. We all end up playing to the drummer's tempo and then the loop gets out of sync completely.

Unless the loop is rhythmic enough as to have a clear pulse to it, yer hosed in my opinion, even if you can get it monitored to the drummer hes still in danger of "losing it" live.

Solutions: retrigger the loop every time,
put it on a backing track,
some kind of solution that gets it to a click, perhaps using midi or something.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 9, 2012

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

JRizzle posted:

I have a couple of questions.

I'm trying to get a dream pop sound, like Cocteau Twins, etc., so I was wondering what effects I would want to get to do that. I know a reverb is important for that, so what is a good, cheaper reverb to buy?

My other question deals with the effects I have now. What is the best order to put a Whammy pedal, a Wah and a Big Muff Pi to make sure my guitar doesn't sound like poo poo? I play a MIM telecaster, if that matters at all.

Edit: By Cocteau Twins, I mean their earlier stuff like Garlands/Head Over Heels.

Whammys sound differnet pre and after gain but neither is wrong, I prefer after. Wah pretty much always goes before unless you want a really obnoxious filter effect.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 24, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Those are all essentially tubescreamers though, the Boss BD2 is quite different.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The turbo tuner is relaly great. The polytune isnt all that if you're not using it for its gimmick.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

duckfarts posted:

Anybody have a Mooer pedal? A local shop is having a decent sale on them and I'm thinking about getting their pitch box and maybe the rat clone.

I've owned both.

The pitch box sucks, it doesent sound like its quite in tune, which is insane. The detune chours sounds are nice though.

The rat clone on the other hand is amazing. It actually sounds better than the current production RAT 2s - its got a litle more grind in the low end and the lm308 chip they dont plus the option to switch to turbo rat mode.

The selector switch on mine broke but I liked it enough to get another one.

I've liked all the mooers I've owned except the digital ones. They do good clones but cloning DSP is obviously serving to be difficult for them.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 26, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The boss ME pedals should be fine. Id go with the 50 rather than the 70 then get seperate pedals if/when you know what you want.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

polar posted:

Are the cheep joyo pedals worth getting? Found a site selling them for 30$ for a few days. They seem almost 2 cheap since some of the build your own stuff is almost double that. Im looking at the vintage overdrive and maybe a tremolo or a fuzz.

Edit: maybe just the overdrive

Yes they own, sound wise anyway. Build wise they're a bit flimsy.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Alright, yeah I was definitely going to run some fuzz with it as well. You might be right, the only reason I thought it could be an octave was the fact they use it a bit in their recordings.

That is good to know about the OC3, I was tempted to grab one since they are much cheaper. Might just wait and grab a Trex or MicroPOG just keep an eye out for a deal on one.

Wanted to use it for a organ/synth sound for bass and to replace a bassist for guitar. Thanks!

Boss MO2 is worth a try for organ sounds.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Get a rat.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

gypsyshred posted:

I'm on the fence between two Boss pedals; the CE3 and the CH1. Is one significantly better than the other?

CE series- Basic analog chorus.

CH1 - "modern" chorus.

Lots of people seem to hate the CH1 and call it corny but that could just be how its lots of players first chorus pedal. I sold the CE3 I had because at the time I found it too subtle but I dunno how Id feel about it now.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 6, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

no dad im not gay! posted:

Compressors should be at the very front of your pedal chain, even before the tuner. If you haven't tried that, give it a shot.

Put the noise reduction pedal at the end of your chain.

Why before tuner?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The flashback, boss DD7 and Delaylab are all baller although the delaylab is a bit big.

I really like the sound of the flashback and have owned like 3.

Really just get anything you want, I've owned most delays at that price range and they're all "good". The only ones I've ever been like "wow I hate this" are the memory boy and DL4.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 19, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What didn't you like about the DL4? Just curious because I wanted to get one of those eventually. That's what Dave Knudson uses to make Minus The Bear sound like Minus The Bear, and I've watched a bunch of videos on it and it looks crazy versatile.

He uses it for the looper which is baller but the actual delay sound isn't that great. Also it forgets your tempo every time you bypass it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

philkop posted:

Whats a cheap pedal (under $200 but preferably around like $100) to make some crazy noise. Is there any merit to the feedback pedals? the fender runaway looked pretty fun. I want a crazy sound to try to reign in and master Unfortunately I can't turn my amp loud enough. I like the fuzz factories noise too, I am considering just getting one of those but I just bought a twosome and don't need another fuzz (I suppose I wouldn't be using it like a fuzz.) I have thought about getting a delay and using some super quick slapback to fatten up my sound and hopefully increase feedbacky sounds but I was unhappy with the carbon copy. Even at lowest settings the sound sounded too much like an echo and less like a stutter. Maybe its the analog warmth? What about feedback loop pedals?

Any other cool recommendations for a cheap noise box?
E: $200 if its a viable pedal to be used other than nooise. For a pure noisebox under $100

If you want something that sounds like a stutter get a DD6 or the behringer copy, stick it on hold mode and tap it real fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87fdts1vmBA

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

How about using a looper that works in stereo?

One line selector splitting your signal to either L or R

Send to L to start the loop.

Use a line switcher, record to R for the second loop.

I've never tried this though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Just jammng at home I got fairly close with a boss OD3. That pedal owns bones, its a nice overdrive that isn't as mid-honky as a TS can be.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKf3HcGH8RY

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 31, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pondex posted:

Have any of you used the Line6 Echo Park?
There's a used one for sale local to me for about 90$. Seems pretty reasonable for the amount of features it has.

It's baller, it's got it's own tape algorithm that's better than anything line 6 have done since.

On the downside the switch feels weird and it gets angry if you daisy chain it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

gently caress your tubescreamers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUhQJ4pT9Kc

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey guys, it's my first time in this thread and I'm kind of a novice when it comes to pedals so please be gentle.

My rig is a Gibson Melody Maker (1 single coil pickup) through a Peavey Classic 50 4x10. I've had a DS-1 for a while that I've been generally happy with, but it can get a bit muddy and I was thinking of switching to an overdrive - ideally something that can get just as loud and dirty but maintain the note definitions a little bit more.

The options I'm looking at are:

MXR Classic Overdrive ($40 on Craigslist)
Boss SD-1 ($40 from local music shop)

How do people feel about these pedals? Good buys at that price? Should I save up more and get something like a Tube Screamer or Wasabi Overdrive (for $90, the guy with the MXR also has an OCD fulltone; I don't wanna spend that much but if someone here has wildly positive things to say about it maybe I could be convinced)? Should I just stick with my DS-1 and play around with the settings more?

Subquestion: should I run this through my clean channel or lead channel?

Style of music is punk/hardcore/post-hardcore/indie. Thanks in advance.

Boss SD1 is basically a tube screamer with asymettric clipping.

If you can find it I'd recommend Hardwire CM2, another TS clone but with an eq and running at 15v internally, and can be had for cheap. I just picked one up and its great.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

firebad57 posted:

I hope this isn't blasphemy here, but I am looking to trade some of my standalone pedals in for a practical multi-effects unit. I'm in a weird New Music-y "classical" guitar trio, though we have been commissioning tons of pieces for electric guitars lately, so the "classical" moniker is up for debate.

Anyway, the other two guys use Line 6 M9s and love them, and I've been getting by on some piecemeal stuff (in no particular order):

Pigtronix Polysaturator (with a busted LED that I should fix...)
Ernie Ball VP jr volume pedal
iStomp
Jamman Stereo Looper
and a BYOC analog delay that I'm permanently borrowing from a friend

this stuff gets me by for a lot of things, but it lacks a lot of the flexibility of an all-in-one solution. We are often called to change effects quite drastically between movements of pieces, enough that the sheer amount of knob-memorizing is pretty annoying, especially on the Polysaturator.

I also don't need a looper as fancy as the Jamman, since we are only called to do pretty simple looping, which the M9 seems to do fine.

My current all-star in terms of flexibility is the istomp, but it's totally impractical onstage, especially as I can only use my old iPhone 4 for it now.

Tl;DR - what are some decent, cheap-ish multi-effects units that I could get? I want decent effects modeling, pre-sets, a tuner, and a looper.

I'd love to get one that travels well, since we are doing a bunch of touring via airplanes coming up. Something I could slap on a pedal board next to my volume pedal and an expression pedal would be ideal.

Is the M9 still any decent, or is there a new king in that price-range? I'd love to get away with only spending a couple/few hundred bux after selling the Jamman. I wish I could just get an Axe-FX, but $$$$...

The M9/13 is still king when it comes to usability, Line 6 nailed it with that interface.

If you cant stretch to that, zoom G3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

firebad57 posted:

I'm more interested in getting the right thing than saving ~$100, for sure. Plus, I know a music shop owner who can get me a great price on an M9 (or M13, but that seems somewhat excessive).

The Guitar thread seems to have more enthusiasm for the Zoom G3/G5, though. Is there any noticeable difference in quality between the models on the Zooms and the Line6s? Are the Line6s THAT much more usable than the Zooms?

I mean, all things being equal, I guess I'd prefer to save money (duh), but I am definitely willing to spend a little bit more and get the better product. So:

Line6 M9 or Zoom G3 (or G3X or G5)?

Whether you prefer the effects is really a matter of personal taste really. And the interfaces on both are pretty similar the M series just have more buttons which is handy. Neither is poo poo I just personally like the M series.

I used to really like running the M13 in looper mode because you can still use the top row of buttons for effect changes for instance.