Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Can't forget the ZVex demos!

http://zvex.com/videos.html

I'm going to be soldering my first pedal sometime this week (4ms Duo Distortor, pretty sure mine is the last one floating around). Does anyone have any general advice or tips for a first timer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

the wizards beard posted:

The Fuzz Factory has a MOSFET input buffer - there shouldn't be much loading of the pickups like there would be in a Fuzz Face, so it doesn't really matter if it goes first or not.

Oh, it really matters. I knew someone who had their FF pretty deep into their chain and felt very apathetic about the pedal, I told them to put it first and all of a sudden they fell in love. You can't run two Fuzz Factories off of the same guitar signal (via a split cable) because the Fuzz Factory works intimately with your pickups and they cancel each other out. The further it is from first position the worse the pedal sounds. 2nd or 3rd in the chain is fine if its after true bypass pedals but really its got to be first to get the complete mojo.

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

RationalAppeal posted:

Can anyone recommend a good stomp tuner that doesn't cost a fortune?

The Boss TU2 is sort of the standard stomp tuner. Generally, they're pretty good. Some people say they're not the most accurate but I've never used one and gone "oh no way is this in tune its off 1 cent".

There is also the Korg Blackout, which looks nice and simple, as well as being true-bypass. It is around $100.

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Susano-maku da! posted:

Oh yeah, and I don't know who I can ask about this...

I have a Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun, which has a gate mode and an oscillation mode. If I place it anywhere in the chain other than first, the oscillation mode gives ear piercing squealing. Why is that?

Probably because the circuit works intimately with the signal from you guitar and needs a clean path from your guitar/pickups to not sound like rear end. This is common with any decent fuzz pedal.

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I remember when Devi made nothing but weird, noisy pedals that had little appeal outside of "noise bands" and every blue moon would come out with something awesome or creative..... and only make a handful of them. The one complaint I always read was "how many fuzz pedals can one person make?" and in reality some of the pedals were the same circuits with different resistors or some such.

After his/her weird fixation with Z. Vex, Devi has stepped up and now makes some great poo poo that were I the type, I would love to have on my pedal board.

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I've been pretty sure that at one point Devi was a goon, back in 2005 she was posting things related to the SA on HCFX that weren't in the attitude of (an at best) lurker. She uses Happycat as part of the graphic for her Godzilla fuzz and asked someone the stairs question.

Devi also bans herself from HCFX a few times a year so right there is enough proof. :colbert:

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

3toes posted:

HALLELUIAH!

I think this thing is going to be released July 7th. Really want to hear this. I bet it sounds nasty on guitar as well with the bass boost.

I just picked up a Little Big Muff and they come out with that. :arghfist: drat you EH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Raze posted:

I recently got an MXR Carbon Copy, and I'm a bit irritated with it. I have it after all of my distortion and it sounds alright clean. There's a bit of muffling on the echos, but you can still hear them. However, when I turn on my distortion it effectively turns into a reverb pedal. I don't hear any of the notes I play echoing back at all, just a general background atmosphere. I'm hoping it's something I'm doing wrong, so any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like your distortion is losing the initial attack because of too much sustain on its own part. Try to play shorter note lengths or lower the gain a bit on the distortion pedal and if see if that helps. I don't have that problem using my Fuzz Factory with my Memory Man, but having never tried the Carbon Copy that's the only thing off the top of my mine.