Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Ive been looking for a U-2 is echo/delay sound, and think I have settled on a BOSS RE-20 to do this. I played one in a local music shop and really liked the sound, but only really played with it for 5-10 minutes. Im worried about an impulse buy because its around 200 bucks, so I want to make sure I wont be surprised by some lovely build quality or something. Does anyone have any suggestions for that really natural sounding echo/delay besides this guy, or possibly any experience with this pedal to help me make my final decision?

Currently to get that echo sound im just using a DD-6, which doesnt really do it for me since it is a straight up delay (it just is too harsh and doesnt have the natural falloff of an echo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Agreed posted:

The RE-20 is an amazing unit, very accurate model of the original (down to the mediocre reverb, heh). If you're looking for a delay that's more than your standard digital delay, it'd be a great choice. Getting one is on my list of things to do this summer.

Your thoughts were mine when I first heard it. I would like to compare each of the settings available, they look like it would give some interesting variants to the sound.

The reverb sounds better than the reverb on my MESA BOOGIE F30...so ill take it :o). I might just need to shell out for a holy grail to get some nice reverb on my signal.

What kind of music do you play Agreed?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Agreed posted:

:bravo2:

I like the experimental one you put in there (2nd clip). Good stuff.

I play mostly with my church, so you can imagine that dictates some of the musical styles I encounter, but it sits in the realm of straight ahead rock. It does really give me a chance to play with effects more than I was used to playing in a punk rock band, and that I enjoy immensely. Im starting to branch out some more into learning practical leads, and learning multiple chord voicings. Perhaps I should approach it with more theory myself :).

so in the interest of staying on topic, thanks for the advice on the RE-20. I am going to try it out again this week and try to make a decision.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Raze posted:

What does everyone use to power their effects pedals? I'm probably going to be acquiring at least 2-3 more for a total of 8, and my current daisy chain won't do it. Should I just get another daisy chain, or should I look into something crazy like the Voodoo Labs stuff? And does anyone have experience with Ernie Ball volume pedals? I'm wondering how passive they truly are.

Ive been using a onespot with the daisy chain connectors (I have 5 pedals so far being powered, but with the purchase of the RE-20, that will change). I would sum the current draw of all your pedals together, and see if it exceeds the current that a onespot can provide. If its too much, buy another one...

If it was me, the 30-40 bucks it costs to get a onespot and a multi-connector is a better choice than one of those 200 dollar voodoo power supplies. I do have a friend that swears by his, but mostly because he has a bunch of EHX pedals that require weird voltages and stuff. I have also heard that the power supply bricks have a better regulated voltage out, and somewhat simplify your connections. For me, I don't think it makes enough of a difference for that price (at this point in my life)

The EB volume pedal is completely passive (no battery), but does "suck your tone" to use the common terminology. I used to consider one to use as a tuner bypass to keep it out of my direct chain, but it doesnt actually do this effectively (you still get some effect on your sound due to the tuner). I like them though, as ive used one to clean up my signal while im playing so I dont fumble for my volume knob. I have put it on my short-list of things to buy eventually. This one is a personal preference thing I think...

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Ive been trying to use my effects loop on my amp for my delays, and was wondering if you guys had any experience using them. I normally run everything in front of my amp (MESA F-30) set up like:

guitar>wah>pitchblack>english muffn>looper(DD-6)>RE-20>LPB-1>amp

I removed the delays and stuck em in my effects loop. I wasn't that impressed with the sound using my RE-20 through the effects loop (the repeats die off way too fast), but it has its own input level preamp and whatnot, so I am wondering if this would effect the signal through the effects loop. Also was running a DD-6, and I don't remember how that one sounded. What is the logic behind this sort of setup anyways?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Houston Rockets posted:

Do I need a boost? I really don't understand what a clean boost does for you. Can't you just turn up the vol?

Oh, and I play blues.

Ok so it depends on a few things whether or not you would use a clean boost, such as what kind of amp you use, whether you are using a pedal for overdrive or distortion already, what kind of pickups you have also makes a difference (depending on output)

check this site quick and read the section on clipping: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampovdrv.htm

A clean boost can be used to give you that instantaneous volume boost if your amp is not near breakup, ie the clipping level. If you want to use it for distortion or overdrive, you will be near to the waveform limit for clipping and it will effectively make your signal clip harder (increase gain), and hence increase the amount of overdrive/distortion.

its all about the breakup. as soon as I learned how to harness this concept, my entire playing style changed, playing more with my guitar's volume knob to control the amount of gain, using a LPB-1 for solos to increase the compression, sustain, and the distortion...etc.

I don't know if I explained this well enough, but if you play alot of blues, and use a tube amp, look into a good boost pedal, you can get some killer tones this way.

One of you gearheads might be able to chime in since you guys are much better at describing this stuff than I am...

e:sp

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

El Drecko posted:

OK I need a new overdrive or distortion pedal. I'm running an Ibanez JS-1000 (with a Dimarzio Fred at the bridge and a PAF Pro at the neck) through a Fender Silverface Twin reverb. I switch between single coil and humbucker (the JS1000 has a phase switch for that) to get different sounds.

I'm currently using an ancient Boss Turbo Overdrive. I didn't use it for years because I owned a high-gain amp, but now I hear its awful - the sound is harsh and ugly. And I'm looking for something more warm and full, both for chords in the background and solos that need to cut through nicely.
I've heard good things about the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and the above-mentioned ZVex pedals, any other tips?

Checkout the Fulltone OCD. It is byfar one of the most used pedals on my board, I can use it for everything from very slight overdrive, to full on distortion, and it sounds amazing. Having the singlecoil and humbucker also will make the pedal react very differently, you will get alot of variety and flexibility with it.

HB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3iumBEvCE
SC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4diQzCr87qA

What about Xotic? They make an AC - or a BB boost/distortion pedals. give them a listen, I like what Ive heard from these, but haven't had a chance to try them myself.

Ive also heard good things about some of the BYOC pedals, have a buddy who swears by them.

If you want to go boutique, the Lovepedal Eternity is bangin...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43hY07IqTvI

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

El Drecko posted:

Thanks. Those Fulltone pedals sound really good in the demos...the OCD has more drive and grit, but the Fulldrive has the boost function incorporated. And they're both loving expensive. I'm just gonna have to try both in the store and spend the money of the next few gigs on one of them, probably.

Get them used definatley, those pedals are built like loving tanks and they should last anything. you might find some deals on TGP if you're patient. I got my OCD for 90 bucks from a local used place.

The boost on the fulldrive is pretty nice...

e:spelling

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Doomy posted:

I have a weird problem with my volume pedal and overdrive. I have the following signal chain running:

Fender Jaguar or Precision bass -> Ernie Ball Volume Pedal (the large one) -> Fulltone bassdrive -> Markbass CMD121P

Pretty simple right? The problem I've been having is to do with the volume pedal. When in the full open or closed position, everything works perfectly with the bassdrive on or off. Any volume inbetween however, makes some awful noise when the overdrive is on. Three things I have noticed:
  • When the overdrive is off, there is no noise when the volume pedal is in the mid position.
  • When the volume pedal is physically touching the bassdrive, the noise stops when the volume pedal is in the mid position. I can't seem to reproduce this using an aligator clip, but that might be my lovely clip.
  • When the volume pedal is after the bassdrive, there is no noise in the mid position.
Normally I have either my Jaguar or precision hooked up, but even when there is no input into the volume pedal, there is still noise in the mid position when the overdrive is on.

So I'm at a loss really to explain this. I guess it could be a grounding problem, which seems strange considering the volume pedal's circuit should be isolated from its chassis.

Any thoughts?

This could be some sort of LRC resonance that is piqued up in the mid range of that EBvolume pot. What is the noise exactly?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Agreed posted:

If all you're doing is lowering and raising the output of your guitar in an ordinary usage scenario (say, to get more or less crunch out of your setup), the volume pot is fine. On the other hand if you're doing swells or otherwise altering your amplitude for effect, OR if you intend to adjust the volume without having to keep a hand on your volume knob, a pedal's a good way to go.

Im with agreed on this one, I will use both, depending on what the song calls for. Sometimes I need to build up volume and grittyness gradually while I am strumming, the pedal makes this a breeze.

Love using it before dirt. Id love to have 2, one before and one after, but that is a little ridiculous...

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Nelsocracy posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing a volume pedal for guitar. Basically I just want to be able to change my volume so that I can comp at lower volumes and increase my volume and improvise. The number one concern for me is that this pedal will affect the sound as little as possible. Right now I only keep one pedal in my chain (a loop pedal) and I play clean so I really don't want a lot of tone sapped out of my playing. Other features that would be nice but not required would be: the ability to go from zero volume to full, durability, minimum volume setting, and a smooth sweep in the pedal. What pedal would you guys say would be the absolute best for me? I'm willing to pay up to about $250. Seems like my main options are Ernie Ball, Goodrich, and Boss but I've heard conflicting opinions about each of these so I'm unsure in what would be best.

Im on board with Kiwi on this, I use an EB JR. I got it for 40 dollars used (the only way to buy gear...). If you do go the used route with an EBJR, you need to check and make sure that the volume pot isnt scratchy, and you might also check the condition of the string that is used to connect the pedal to the pot. Other than that, they tend to hold up really well. Mine started making noises on me (scratchy), so I sprayed DEOX-IT into the POT, and voila, its as good as new!

I have also heard alot of love for the goodrich pedals amongst TGP gear snobs and the like, but I am not sure about what the difference is.
Good luck finding one!

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

royalejest posted:

This may be not for this thread, but what are good avenues to buying used in rural areas where Craiglist is basically useless? eBay seems to be trending towards Buy-It-Nows at near-retail price, while the local shops in my area's used selection is pretty sparse.

Looking at the two or three pedals I want running me almost $600 is kind of depressing, since I don't know where to head for used crap really.

You can check out thegearpage.net, they have a used emporium where you can get good prices on gear. Also, there is a gear trade thread here somewhere in ML.

Honestly, this is the only place I frequent to look for things. I happen to be in the DC metro area, so there are a few good local used shops to visit as well.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Bumping this thread with a question.

If I were to make a 1V/V line buffer for my pedal chain, where would you guys think of putting it in the signal chain? in the middle, at the end, at the beginning? Ive got alot of TB pedals, and Im starting to wonder if Im losing some signal by not having any buffered pedals (ie notice a pretty clear difference in sound when I bypass my whole board versus when I am plugged in)

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Angry Justin posted:

I have a question about an effect combo i'm hoping we could get to the bottom of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5pKWVKJqdQ

Pardon the obnoxious video, he's a relatively small artist so it's the only one I could find. I'm looking to figure out the effects in the intro. He also does it at about 1:20.

Sounds to me like a super hairy fuzz, (a silicon maybe?, you could probably use a fuzz factory to get that sound) with a phaser or a flanger, I am not sure which one in particular since flangers and phasers are similar.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Hubis posted:

Before I got my TU-2, I used an EHX LPB-2 that I just always left on.

I use my compressor (Barber Tonepress) set pretty transparently as my first-in and it does a decent job buffering, although it affects the tone slightly, but in a good way I think. The MXR microamp is super transparent and might work for you. Other people use the MXR boost/line driver for this purpose.

No buffers on my effects loop though, and not sure if that makes a difference or not.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

On request of a friend in GWS, this is my pedalboard setup I used both studio and live. I repurposed an old suitcase to be the body, then built up a false floor with 2x4 sections and a 1/16th steel plate covered in velcro so I could just stick pedals on and off as I please. Power supply is that voodoo labs thing up in the top left corner. Chain goes Boss Tuner -> MXR Compressor/Sustainer -> Rocktron Deep Blue Chorus -> Big Muff Pi -> Boss DD6 -> Holy Grail -> Ernie Ball volume pedal -> amp. My normal amp is a Sunn Beta Lead head through an Ampeg V4 cabinet, though I also have a little Gibson Explorer amp from the 50s that I like to use in situations where you can hear it's 18 1/2 watts.

Cool board, Ive always loved the suitcase but I never find one that is quite the size I am looking for and I don't feel like taking to time to build my own pedalboard with lid, etc.

To contribute, here's my main rig. Chain: Pitchblack->Tonepress->VPjr->Heavily modded VOX wah (sometimes)->Microamp->LTD silver->OCD->Wiggler->DD3->CMAT MODS Deeeelay->amp (MESA F-50). The black box with multiple switches is a defunct effects loop mixer I made that has a tap tempo switch for the DD3. This setup has remained more-or-less like this for the last 3-4 years and I haven't acquired anything new that really stands out to me. Id like to eventually get an Earthquaker devices Dispatch Master to replace the Deeeelay, but that will just need to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nice. I see a lot of people going to the OCD lately - in fact the other guitarist in my band uses one and it sounds fantastic. I don't know maybe I'm old fashioned or maybe it's because I rely on Telecasters and such but I like the fatness I get from the muff.

Yeah it was one of those pedals I tried from a mentor of mine years ago and fell in love with it. Sometimes it gives such a thick distortion, I need to back it down or everything gets muddied up (particularly when I'm using my Artcore. My favorite thing about it is how input-sensitive it is and how dynamic it can be when youre playing with it. I mostly play a single coil equipped strat and it gives me that glassy american sound when i want it. The LTD silver is really the standout for me as far as amazing low-drive sound is concerned. I love it.

I never really got into fuzz and until recently, didnt appreciate it. My brother bought himself a blue beard for using with his bass, and it owns but dont see myself using it for the music I play, so that means I'll just be borrowing it on occasion. Maybe someday ill catch one that fits the sound I'm looking for. Do you know of any good ones beyond some of the obvious choices? (Muff, zvex)