Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

bisticles posted:

using the bicycle chain link method to hold pedals to a pedalboard and wants me to mail them a couple of links
Dibs.

If you are serious I would love you forever for this, I was planning on setting up a pedalboard in such a way in the next week or two. (You can send me email through the link in my profile.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

bisticles posted:

Anyway, you just unscrew the corner screws from the bottom of a pedal, put the screw through one of the eyes of the link, and then put it back into the screw hole. You're basically putting "ears" on the pedal. Boss pedals are ridiculously easy to do this to. MXR and EHX use bigger screws, so you may need to drill out the hole a little bit.
Seconding the chain link method, it works very well. I'm still using the board I made with the chain links you sent me in the mail. (Random goon generosity)

What kind of drill bit should one use to widen the holes for pedals with larger screws? Just recently I bought an MXR Carbon Copy and I haven't gotten around to mounting it on the board yet.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Epiphopotamus posted:

I'm going for a fairly simple rock sound, which order do I put the following in for best results?

comp, tune, chrous/echo, dist, volume, OD.
There are various ways to skin this particular cat depending on your own personal preferences. I generally use this kind of setup:

Tuner -> volume -> OD -> distortion -> compressor -> echo/chorus

In this case, while the compressor is on the volume pedal acts as a dirt control that doesn't really affect volume at all. When the compressor is off the volume pedal acts like a combination volume control/dirt control. I find the latter incredibly useful, although some folk don't seem to care for it.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Gorilla Salsa posted:

To my knowledge, volume pedals always go last in the signal chain
There is no always with signal chains. Lots of people run volume pedals in front of dirt, they are quite useful there and with a different utility from the end of the chain. Volume pedal at the end of the chain is for when you want a straight-up volume control that doesn't have any other effect on the signal which well is boring :)

In the specific chain he posted the volume pedal is acting as an input gain control for the overdrive, when placed afterwards it would instead act as an output gain control which is a whole different type of useful.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like my volume pedals before delay but after dirt. That way I can swell in and still get delay trails.
Oh god I know, I love that. It also lets you fade out or just straight up cut out your signal without messing with the delay trails. I play in a weird noisy band so during live shows when I have to change guitars I love to get a nice soundscape happening with the delay feedback up high, bring my volume down to zero with the pedal then unplug and go grab my other guitar while the delay pedal is still makin' music :). Dead air during instrument changes or between songs is for suckers.

Even if you don't do any wacky delay poo poo, I don't know why people use volume pedals after delay. It seems to me like it could only be less useful than before.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Agreed posted:

On the other hand if you're doing swells or otherwise altering your amplitude for effect, OR if you intend to adjust the volume without having to keep a hand on your volume knob, a pedal's a good way to go.
Yeah, this. The guitar volume knob is good enough if you have to make a change from level X to level Y and that's it. A volume pedal at the beginning of your chain (which is indeed just a volume knob for your foot) is infinitely more useful as a tool for musical dynamics. Good luck using your guitar volume knob to crescendo over the course of 8 bars while you're playing something non-trivial. On the other hand gradually opening up the pedal with your foot is quite easy even while your right hand is busy playing something complex.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Okay well your arguments for why it shouldn't be useful are all hypothetical. I am telling you that I have one and that it works for me, allows me to do things I cannot without it. Maybe you wouldn't get any use out of it. There's no reason you should switch if you like your setup. I am not trying to convince anyone to use the setup I use, lots of people who find it useful already do so and even more people who do not find it useful do not.

And yes what he is playing in the video is trivial, in the context of doing two things at once with your right hand. His right hand does not need to do anything remotely complex to play what he's playing so he can give up one finger to make the volume change without it being a big deal. And if you think making a long gradual adjustment while you're playing is somehow easier than making a quick change well I don't think you've made any long gradual adjustments while playing. A quick change like that does not need to happen smoothly, in fact in that video he changes dynamic quite abruptly but it works fine because it happens in a VERY short period of time. If you want to crescendo over a noticable length of time in a musical fashion you need to do it at a steady rate.

I'm glad you've heard of lots of famous people that don't want what many of us want. Personally I don't base my decisions on making sure I'm using the same techniques as famous or popular people.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 17, 2009

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
I have to vouch for the Ernie Ball models myself. I have a Jr which I love to pieces and my friend/band bassist has a full-size one. The mechanical action of both is smooth as hell, practical difference is really just the size of the pedal. The zero volume position completely silences the instrument, I use it as a mute to unplug my guitar and switch to a different one with my amp still turned on and no popping. There's a nice even sweep up to full volume which is easy to control due to the very smooth pedal mechanism. Tough die-cast enclosure, seems like it'd be hard to do any damage to the things. I really can't reccomend them enough, probably the best $120 I've spent on a pedal.

edit: The guy below me reminded me, that even if it somehow winds up totally shot, you can send it to them and they'll rebuild it with all new electronic and mechanical parts in the same enclosure for $55. (http://www.ernieball.com/faq/7-Ernie-Ball-Volume-Pedals-FAQ#83)

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 28, 2009

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
The Carbon Copy was a great choice. I really love mine, imo it's the perfect simple analog delay.

I would put the dirt pedals so they go fatboost -> sparkledrive -> dist III. I find when I mix dirt pedals I usually like it best with the lower gain stages first and the higher gain stages down the chain. Really though you've got to experiment with combining them in different orders and see who likes having their input pushed harder and who doesn't. I've found certain pedals get way better when fed a hotter and/or already-distorted signals, but other pedals don't take so kindly to it.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Doesn't really sound like fuzz is involved to me. Sounds like some fairly light overdrive into a cranked amp which is at the point of serious power tube breakup. The rhythm guitar anyway. The lead I think is a similar setup with a bit more boost up front and a little more trebly. You could probably fake this fairly convincingly with any number of dirt pedals (I'm thinking about maybe the wasabi distortion or definitely the barber dirty bomb) but which would be the best choice probably depends on the rest of your setup. What kind of amp are you using? Are you trying to make this sound on stage, to tape, or at bedroom levels for your own ears?

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 11, 2010

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
I dunno how I missed this so I'm a week late now. But going back to the talk on octave fuzz pedals, the Fulltone Ultimate Octave is amazing. It can function as a fuzz only or a fuzz+octave as there's a seperate switch for the octave. It can cover a lot of ground from thick and sludgy to really bright and spiky, the tone control is very sensitive. Pretty majorly different sound from the also excellent Fulltone Octafuzz so I'd really reccomend checking out both if anybody's shopping for octave fuzz.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Boss pedals are all buffered and there are always lots of used ones around. And in my experience they have a good truly transparent buffer. So if you can find any Boss pedal you are at all interested in, that could be a cheap way to try out this put-a-buffer-in-front idea. Their lower gain overdrives (SD-1, OD-3) and digital delays (DD-3, 5, 6, 7) are always for sale used all over because they are so common. If you wind up rarely using the actual effect you still have the buffer when it's turned off. For this kind of experimentation I reccomend buying used gear. That way if you wind up with something that isn't helping for what you wanted it for, you can probably resell it for the same price you paid.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
I love the hell out of my SMMH and I highly recommend it but unfortunately I can't provide much of the perspective you're looking for as I haven't used the Ekko.

My SMMH has no trouble with heavy fuzz in front of it's input. And if noise is your thing, you gotta try a nice fuzz AFTER the delay in your chain. Soundscapey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
You should find a store with lots of pedals in stock and try as many delays as possible using the same guitar and amp. There is a lot of personal preference involved. Your list of possible delays are all well-respected pedals but they are very different from each other. The Carbon Copy for example is a rather dark and murky sounding analog delay whereas the Guyatone MD3 on the other hand is a very clean and clear sounding digital delay.

For what it's worth, I will also vouch for the EHX SMMH. I love mine. It's an excellent delay that can cover quite a bit of ground. It'll do most any standard delay sound and some weird wacky poo poo too. I'd say it's a fairly good choice if you don't have that great of an idea what you want out of a delay pedal. It's not that cheap, but based on your list you seem to be ready to spend a little if it's worth it.

You should absolutely try several delays out in a store before you buy one.

edit: now that the guy below me posted, I wish I'd mentioned that I also have a Carbon Copy and I love it too. Wouldn't give it up. It's a better option than the SMMH if you like "keep it simple" style gear.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 17, 2010