Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Octavio posted:

Okay so I'm interested in buying an effects pedal, but I don't know where to begin. I've never bought an effects pedal before... so I need some help. I've got a price range of about $200-$250

The tone of this post tells me that you want a Pod. Learn about effects and chaining from that, then decide if you want individual effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
So I've almost got everything in my board done, except I need two more things: a delay and a reverb. Is there a good unit out there that can do both well to save the valuable real estate on my board?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Agreed posted:

Damage Control Glass Nexus has delay and reverb, along with a modulation of your choice. Big goddamned pedal, but pristine sound quality.

That looks amazing, but it looks bigger than two pedals and does way more than I need.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

3toes posted:

Could try a POG or Micro POG as well and crank the sub-octave.

I got a Micro POG for this reason and it doesn't work very well.

Other applications sound awesome, but not the super downtuned metal sound.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
So I need (want) a fuzz pedal now that I have everything else I needed (wanted). Seeing as how there are probably a few thousand choices out there, where is a good starting point? Other than Devi Ever and Zvex, what are some good fuzz brands out there?

Also, is there anyone who makes a clone of Zvex's Machine pedal?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I guess I should have included what specifically I was looking for. Basically, I want the most hosed up, textured, sputtering, 'gently caress you in the rear end and not call you the next day' fuzz. Bonus if you can switch it or roll it off and get a more normal fuzz sound. I've got an octave pedal so I have no need for an octave function.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I think I found it, gentlemen. Has anyone used a Catalinbread V8?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

archie posted:

dear guitar people,

i'm after a decent distortion effect for my live electronic music setup. i'm pretty sure distortion is a guitar speciality, so was wondering which pedal you guys would recommend?

cheers!

There are probably hundreds of thousands of different distortion effects so you might have to help us by narrowing it down. Do you want a small amount of breakup to warm up the sound? Do you want a saturated but controllable effect? Or do you want a full on meltdown type sound? What is your budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

archie posted:

yeah it wasn't the greatest description... 'saturated but controllable' sounds like the one i'd be keen. no budget contraints as i'm sure most of them would be cheaper than the at least $1k i'd be spending on a rack for the same purpose.

i'm trying to add warmth, a fuller sound and some crunchy stuff to audio coming out of my synths and other things from the sampler.

thanks for any advice!

I'd recommend going through the different pedals on this page and this page and listening to the demos to help you make your choice. The most famous examples are the Boss DS-1, the Big Muff, or anything with the words "tube" or "screamer" in it.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of all the Zvex distortions (you said you had a big budget, right?). The Homebrew Electronics Big D is fantastic as well and probably one of the most versatile distortion boxes you can find.