Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

Signed up to take the technician exam this weekend. I'll focus on passing that getting a handheld to play around with while I study up for the general next month.

Super thanks to hambulance. Those study books are really useful.

You are most welcome! :cheers: Good luck on the exams. I'm sure you'll do well.

In exam book news, I ordered the newest ARRL study guide for the Extra exam with the newest questions. Ordered it on May 20th and haven't heard anything yet. Stupid pandemic :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The Hambulance posted:

No, I’m near Philadelphia. The numbers in vanity calls aren’t restricted. I’m in area 3, and I have a call from area 9

Oh hell yeah, me too. Post in here if there's any ham goings-on in the area and I'll try to make it out. I've only been here for a year or so, so I'm not familiar with the clubs/conventions/etc.

After all the lockdown stuff is over, obviously.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Yeah, I live in 2-land but we're building a house in region 4. I requested a 1x3 vanity call for region 4 that has my initials.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

what’s the best way to game the address thing when getting licensed? as a queer person also interested in making leftist ham space how do i protect myself from morons?

my whole schtick with this is since i m a pro cyclist i wanted to do some super mobile setups but if they can google my address it’s all for nothing

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Casual Encountess posted:

what’s the best way to game the address thing when getting licensed? as a queer person also interested in making leftist ham space how do i protect myself from morons?

Assuming you're in the US, you can get your FRN ahead of time, provide a PO box, and supply your FRN at your test. I think that's the best you can do at this point, unfortunately.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

manero posted:

Assuming you're in the US, you can get your FRN ahead of time, provide a PO box, and supply your FRN at your test. I think that's the best you can do at this point, unfortunately.

Yeah, this really is the way to go. I wish I knew about this when getting licensed originally. We're moving in a few months, so the best I'll be able to do is PO Box instead of the new address. It really sucks that all previous addresses are still available, even if you switch it to a PO Box. Unless you use a PO Box for your original address, you're pretty much out of luck until you move.

EDIT: There may be some value in the PO Box and FRN suggestion to get added to the OP.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 17, 2020

ickna
May 19, 2004

Macintosh HD posted:

Yeah, this really is the way to go. I wish I knew about this when getting licensed originally. We're moving in a few months, so the best I'll be able to do is PO Box instead of the new address. It really sucks that all previous addresses are still available, even if you switch it to a PO Box. Unless you use a PO Box for your original address, you're pretty much out of luck until you move.

EDIT: There may be some value in the PO Box and FRN suggestion to get added to the OP.

Super same here. I would be far more likely to call people out for being lovely on the air if there wasn't that nagging feeling in the back of my head that they have everything they need a few clicks away to disproportionally retaliate; which is exactly what I would expect from a lot of the personality types who are toxic in the amateur radio community.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i’m not trying to come in confrontational but also i’m going to brook no poo poo. i’ve been listening for two weeks now and i would like to politely direct people without the ability for them to throw a brick through my window

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
There was a thread on reddit to discuss reforming the totally open database of addresses. There were people on both sides of the argument, but the people who wanted to keep the system open all came off like nutjobs.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I’m not planning on staying in this apartment for another year, so in 8ish months I’ll move and get a PO box and start talking more. Meanwhile lotsa audio tests and playing with these new toys.

Tried to listen to HF on two pieces of copper wire hung along my entire apartment and hooked up to a usb dongle. I think I need more antenna.

ickna
May 19, 2004

RadioPassive posted:

Tried to listen to HF on two pieces of copper wire hung along my entire apartment and hooked up to a usb dongle. I think I need more antenna.

You'll get much better results if you can get the wire outside, even if it is just dangling out of the window.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Macintosh HD posted:

There was a thread on reddit to discuss reforming the totally open database of addresses. There were people on both sides of the argument, but the people who wanted to keep the system open all came off like nutjobs.

i get the counter argument but also there’s lots of folks with brain worms on my local waves and it would be super cool to not let them get any meaningful info on me.

gonna get a mailbox set up

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also is there a req on an earpiece to fit the weird accessory port on the baofeng? i’d like to be a little more discrete while listening but i don’t really give a poo poo about transmitting in that case. is the 3.5mm adaptor the better bet?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Did yours not come with the single earpiece? Or you mean you want an earbud with no mic and perhaps not-lovely?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

it’s a lovely earpiece i don’t need something nice but like a little less lovely

https://baofengtech.com/qhm01-surveillance-earpiece

like if i’m at a protest i need something that lets me keep an ear on the scanners

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
That's definitely a benefit of the Icom pinout, you can use a standard mono 3.5mm jack for the earpiece.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

This’ll let you use whatever headset you want. Still has a PTT button inline with the cable, but it adapts the janky HT plugs to a regular 3.5mm headset jack.

https://baofengtech.com/adapter-3.5mm

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Just got the Anytone. So this code plug thing...uh... :bang:

Configuring this thing seems pretty complicated, and that's made even worse from me not understanding DMR yet.

EDIT: It looks like, no matter what, there aren't any DMR repeaters I can hit. The hotspot board for my raspberry pi comes tomorrow, at least.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 17, 2020

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Ok it's dry and all bays work. DM me and we can figure out when/where

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BTW for people shopping for PO box options, when we moved overseas we had set up an account at Traveling Mailbox and it's worked very well for accepting random forwarded mail that we were still getting after the move. We just went with the 15/mo plan, figuring that we could upgrade later if needed, but it's been plenty.

When setting it up they will want you to notarize a USPS form that essentially authorizes them to read mail that is sent to them. This is needed for the on-request mail scanning functionality. The same company (I think?) also does a video-based notary service if going to a bank to notarize a form isn't feasible. In my case I ended up using this since I was already overseas and getting to a US notary would have been difficult and expensive otherwise.

Once set up it effectively gives you a mailing address in a warehouse somewhere in the Carolinas, where they'll send you an email when mail arrives and you can use a web interface to request and read scans.

But FYI if you try to use it as a Physical Address with your bank, they may give you an angry call.

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 17, 2020

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Where I lived DStar and Fusion were the main UHF digital modes, so I have and am familiar with those radios. Since moving DMR repeaters seem to rule, time to learn a new mode and radio! I do use a hotspot to monitor Reddits 98003 using Fusion, can be active late evenings EST.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also am i going to have to lug a marine battery to do anything fun mobile?

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Kind of depends on what kind of fun and how much power you are using. LiFePO4 battery packs are pretty lightweight and don't have to deal with leaking. They are expensive to buy in large sizes though. Then there is the option of running a solar panel for additional radio time.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Your ninja 250 puts out like 5 amps at idle.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How many watts are you looking to put out? There are handhelds that can go up to 10 that I've seen.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

don’t know yet. i have a curious ability to find rooftops and high points in my city by bike so id love to build a bike portable rig

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

don’t know yet. i have a curious ability to find rooftops and high points in my city by bike so id love to build a bike portable rig

If you're trying to cart it around on a bike maybe a hand radio and a directional antenna will get you the best gain for the weight if you aren't super concerned with Omni directional reception and transmission?

There's probably folding dipole antennas out there that you can find.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 18, 2020

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

42-inch tactical folding antenna for the Baofeng?

Go get your dang license, I think you'll be real happy with how well this thing hits miles-away repeaters just fine with the stock setup.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats 3.5 feet of measuring tape and some heatshrink. theyre terrible antennas

as far as portable goes, you can have a lot of fun with a 5 watt HT and a modest antenna.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

this what i got so far for kit i’m v excite to see what i can do with it

manero
Jan 30, 2006

lol that battery, awesome

kinda reminds me of my dad's IC-W2A in the 90's:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
if you want to experiment with some Range on your HT with better antennas, skip the novelty/gimmick HT-mount ones like that above, or the rat tail etc type poo poo, and just get a mobile mag mount and put it on your car and drive to the top of a hill. That 5 watts becomes a lot different than the stock duck (which still should be more than fine for most repeater type use)

like this:
https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/3243.html

with this:
https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/parts/4513.html

e: i didn't even notice that antenna has a SMA version, tho i'd prolly still get PL259 and the adapter anyway so i could use the antenna with a mobile unit at 50w too

Sniep fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 18, 2020

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

I have two of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716T67QN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I don't charge it past 15.9v (max voltage for my radios - 13.8 x 15%) and each of them powers my 100 watt radio for between 1-2 hours, depending how much time I spend transmitting. Super light weight at a little over a pound each.

Some people believe that every LiPO battery is secretly waiting to kill your sleeping family by spontaneously exploding into flames, but every LiPO failure I've seen or heard of has had some stupidity associated with it. They're batteries, not grenades. Inspect it regularly, use the correct charger, and don't discharge it below the minimum voltage and you'll be fine. If you are super paranoid, buy one of those fireproof bags for $6~12 and charge it in there.

I bought these little alarms that show the output voltage and have a settable alarm so you don't run the battery below to the minimum voltage and damage the cells. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XQ91ECA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Regarding HTs and range, I made a 2-meter ground plane antenna off the following video, and I hit a repeater 26 miles away with the antenna 10 feet in the air connected to my Baofeng UV-5R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxft-rYHGDw

The Hambulance fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 18, 2020

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

do y'all have a discord or something yet?

The Hambulance posted:

I have two of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716T67QN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I don't charge it past 15.9v (max voltage for my radios - 13.8 x 15%) and each of them powers my 100 watt radio for between 1-2 hours, depending how much time I spend transmitting. Super light weight at a little over a pound each.

Some people believe that every LiPO battery is secretly waiting to kill your sleeping family by spontaneously exploding into flames, but every LiPO failure I've seen or heard of has had some stupidity associated with it. They're batteries, not grenades. Inspect it regularly, use the correct charger, and don't discharge it below the minimum voltage and you'll be fine. If you are super paranoid, buy one of those fireproof bags for $6~12 and charge it in there.

I bought these little alarms that show the output voltage and have a settable alarm so you don't run the battery below to the minimum voltage and damage the cells. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XQ91ECA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Regarding HTs and range, I made a 2-meter ground plane antenna off the following video, and I hit a repeater 26 miles away with the antenna 10 feet in the air connected to my Baofeng UV-5R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxft-rYHGDw

so like my insane person plan for next year is I want to build a double or triple decker bike that I can mount an antenna to and go do rides to do dumb poo poo on top of hills because that sounds like an extraordinary amount of fun+fuckery. im assuming that as long as i don't go out in a thunderstorm i shouldn't die anymore than i would riding a reguar triple tall bike

edit: heres a photo of the kind of bike for my insane idea

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 18, 2020

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
It's been quite a while since I've been on a bike, but wouldn't going up a steep hill on that be both miserable AF and put your center of gravity behind the rear axle? :ohdear:

copen
Feb 2, 2003

do y'all have a discord or something yet?

so like my insane person plan for next year is I want to build a double or triple decker bike that I can mount an antenna to and go do rides to do dumb poo poo on top of hills because that sounds like an extraordinary amount of fun+fuckery. im assuming that as long as i don't go out in a thunderstorm i shouldn't die anymore than i would riding a reguar triple tall bike

edit: heres a photo of the kind of bike for my insane idea

I approve of this message :allears:

copen
Feb 2, 2003

It has begun :sun:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

manero posted:

lol that battery, awesome

kinda reminds me of my dad's IC-W2A in the 90's:

the w2a was really good.

For a while i had the extreme dork version of it, the 2SRA:

Rip out the 440 side of the radio, install a 25-905 receiver over there, and add a second antenna using a 1/8" plug (pic is of the 4SRA, same thing but it was 70cm on the left side)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

poeticoddity posted:

It's been quite a while since I've been on a bike, but wouldn't going up a steep hill on that be both miserable AF and put your center of gravity behind the rear axle? :ohdear:

yes and this makes me want to do it more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Just put wheels on a yagi.