Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Tree vs antenna, I'm streeeeeetching.

I tension it up, tie it off, wind blows, tree wiggles, dipole goes stretches, then goes slack.

Should I not be tying it off ridgy? Some sort of rube goldberg contraption to allow the tree to sway and not stretch antenna?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

If your trees are really wobbly could go with something like this:
- attach pulley to tree (id say a good marine one with stainless hardware because its worth not needing to go back up there to fix it)
- tie rope to end of antenna wire, possibly using one of those plastic or fiberglass isolator things
- put rope through pulley in tree
- tie weight to end of rope to provide tension from gravity but free movement when the tree sways

something like this, or could instead bolt right into the tree:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

poeticoddity posted:

I'm having a brain-fart and don't know what to google:
What can you put between the antenna connection on your radio and the connector on your antenna to reduce the TX power (and I assume RX strength, though that's not necessarily desirable) without tanking your SWR?
I'm basically looking for the opposite of an amplifier, but everything I've found while googling is about either improving antennas or using amplifiers.

I want to try sending VHF packets between two radios that would be a few dozen feet apart at most to do some testing.
The packet radio demonstrations I've seen where people do this usually involve setting two HTs to 1W on opposite sides of the room and hoping you don't fry either of them.
I've got two mobile 2m radios that both have a lowest output of 5W, and would really prefer to try this with less than 10% of that power.

Is there some standard method to turn a non-QRP radio into a QRP radio without having to open it up?

If they're in the same room the reduced rx probably wont hurt. Cheapest way to cut the power is to have one radio vertical and the other on it's side so they're cross polarized.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I had three redwoods in a triangle with pulleys up like 60 ft, paid tree trimmers to bolt them in. I wanted to avoid paying someone to come by and fix them in the future, so I attached a loop of good rope (bought from DX engineering) to each pulley that reached all the way to the ground, then had tie downs at the base of the trunk to provide tension. Antennas were then attached to the loops and pulled up into the trees. The redwoods didnt sway much so the loops themselves (and length of rope involved) provided plenty of slack when the loops were tied down

The loop setup meant that I could pull down the antenna. I could have even replaced the rope itself by tying another rope into the loop and pulling it through. Otherwise I would've needed to pay someone to come by when I wanted to change anything.

Because the pulleys would be expensive to fix if they got stuck or corroded, I got some fancy stainless boat ones from a boating supply store for $$$$, and also got some big stainless screws from the same store to attach them to the tree (it sounded like even galvanized doesn't do great in redwood over years).

Of course this was in the bottom of a valley with 20-40 deg horizons since that's where redwoods live, so I usually only got out to a couple states away. But it was a really sweet setup and the loops made it easy to mess with the antenna and even adjust the way it was angled between the trees

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

hi a ham now

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Also I don't know if they make circulators that work down in ham bands, but they let you split your send and receive paths which would let you attenuate just the tx. The ones we had when I worked with rf stuff were 3-port waveguide things where the signal takes a different path depending on the signal direction.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?

Progressive JPEG posted:

I had three redwoods in a triangle with pulleys up like 60 ft, paid tree trimmers to bolt them in. I wanted to avoid paying someone to come by and fix them in the future, so I attached a loop of good rope (bought from DX engineering) to each pulley that reached all the way to the ground, then had tie downs at the base of the trunk to provide tension. Antennas were then attached to the loops and pulled up into the trees. The redwoods didnt sway much so the loops themselves (and length of rope involved) provided plenty of slack when the loops were tied down

The loop setup meant that I could pull down the antenna. I could have even replaced the rope itself by tying another rope into the loop and pulling it through. Otherwise I would've needed to pay someone to come by when I wanted to change anything.

Because the pulleys would be expensive to fix if they got stuck or corroded, I got some fancy stainless boat ones from a boating supply store for $$$$, and also got some big stainless screws from the same store to attach them to the tree (it sounded like even galvanized doesn't do great in redwood over years).

Of course this was in the bottom of a valley with 20-40 deg horizons since that's where redwoods live, so I usually only got out to a couple states away. But it was a really sweet setup and the loops made it easy to mess with the antenna and even adjust the way it was angled between the trees

Progressive JPEG posted:

- attach pulley to tree (id say a good marine one with stainless hardware because its worth not needing to go back up there to fix it)
- tie rope to end of antenna wire, possibly using one of those plastic or fiberglass isolator things
- tie weight to end of rope to provide tension from gravity but free movement when the tree sways

I followed the johny 290 approach Mavic Mini drone, "drone race clip" and carefully fly over tree. Got a fishing line up, pulled a rope with a pulley up and over..
Its a 55 foot douglas fir on one end, and a garage rafter on the other. I couldn't go "straight" down, I had to come off the canopy at quite an angle and tie off on two separate buildings.
Weights on the "service end" will end up smacking the building... I suppose I could add more pulleys and put the weights up? Is a gas cylinder possible?

In retrospect, I made two mistakes. 1, a lovely ebay pulley that took ~30 days to arrive from china and is going to rust, and 2) making all 4 tie off points (line for the pulley, line for the antenna) on my roofs. Try tuning 42 inches off your dipole, 3 inches at a time, each time getting on the roof, FFFF!

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

What if you just slackened the whole thing but hung an extra weight along the length of the span?:

Use rope for the black line and antenna for the blue line?

As the tree sways, the weight will just rise and fall and the line tension should remain fairly consistent.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

so what radios do your police department have?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

I use this technique, but slightly modify it: I get my first rope up and over a branch, tie it together in a big loop, and then also affix a pulley to it.

Then, I run the rope for the antenna through that. Usually, there's enough slack that I can pull the one end of the pulley loop down, to raise the pulley to the height I need, or pull down on the other wise if I need to mess with my antenna.

I'll tie down the pulley loop so it doesn't move, and then use a partially-filled water bottle or old car wiper fluid bottle for the antenna rope counter-weight. You can also use large springs from the hardware store to provide some tension as well.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

ham radio? more like haraam radio

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

RadioPassive posted:

What if you just slackened the whole thing but hung an extra weight along the length of the span?:

Use rope for the black line and antenna for the blue line?

As the tree sways, the weight will just rise and fall and the line tension should remain fairly consistent.

I am blanking on the appropriate engineering term, but doing that would put a large amount of stress on the horizontal antenna wire, and likely cause it to fail.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Tension

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?

manero posted:

I use this technique, but slightly modify it: I get my first rope up and over a branch, tie it together in a big loop, and then also affix a pulley to it.

Then, I run the rope for the antenna through that. Usually, there's enough slack that I can pull the one end of the pulley loop down, to raise the pulley to the height I need, or pull down on the other wise if I need to mess with my antenna.

I'll tie down the pulley loop so it doesn't move, and then use a partially-filled water bottle or old car wiper fluid bottle for the antenna rope counter-weight. You can also use large springs from the hardware store to provide some tension as well.

Ok, so the washer jug got me thinking. I think I can fit a counterweight by the garage where everything is anchored. If I am clever, I can use additional lines to prevent the counterweight from slammin into the siding.
Here is a terrible rendering of the setup right now. Instead of the "Blue line" just tied off, pulley to a 5 gallon bucket and some nonsense to limit its travel.
https://i.imgur.com/SqDWEoK.png

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

TasogareNoKagi posted:

I am blanking on the appropriate engineering term, but doing that would put a large amount of stress on the horizontal antenna wire, and likely cause it to fail.

My math on a 10 pound weight in the box and a 15-degree angle on the upper black line gives 2.6 pounds of tension on the blue antenna line and 10.35 pounds of tension on the upper black line. So, a little more vertical than the black line is drawn. Is 2-3 pounds is too much tension? I've never strung an antenna up like that idk how tough they are.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
regular copper isn't nearly as strong as the copper-clad steel stuff. That's fine for like 14 gauge THHN wire though.

i want to say the break strength of the tiny tiny 26 gauge Wireman stuff is about 20 pounds, the 18 gauge is like 100 plus. I threw some of the 18 over a tree limb and did pullups on it once, it really is tough as hell.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Are the MSI.SDR Panadapters decent?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046994958.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.78493c00dGt0mm&mp=1

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

appears to be a clone of the SDRplay RSP1 https://www.rtl-sdr.com/photos-of-the-msi-sdr-dongle-a-new-sdrplay-rsp1-clone/

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
ok I got the 5 gallon bucket counterweight working. the wife really likes the home depot orange in the yard.

horse_ebookmarklet fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 20, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

We shall find out, these got linked in the discord and at least two of us ordered 'em. I have a small collection of RTLs so I'll definitely be comparing mine when it arrives.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

Tree vs antenna, I'm streeeeeetching.

I tension it up, tie it off, wind blows, tree wiggles, dipole goes stretches, then goes slack.

Should I not be tying it off ridgy? Some sort of rube goldberg contraption to allow the tree to sway and not stretch antenna?

I'm late to this discussion but I haven't seen anyone suggest bungee cord tensioning yet, is there a reason why not? Gives some stretch while keeping the wire tight. It's worked pretty well every time I've done it or seen it done, and it's simple and cheap.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

alnilam posted:

I'm late to this discussion but I haven't seen anyone suggest bungee cord tensioning yet, is there a reason why not? Gives some stretch while keeping the wire tight. It's worked pretty well every time I've done it or seen it done, and it's simple and cheap.

bungees rot out fast in the elements.

Hit up the hardware store and get a big extension spring, much better.

Just be careful when setting things up - springs can hold considerable energy

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Good point, I guess I've only ever done it for temporary stuff like field day.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

taqueso posted:

Are the MSI.SDR Panadapters decent?

I'm trying to get mine to work. The drivers won't install on my Windows 10 machine because I have virtualization enabled for Docker. I downloaded the latest HamPi release but it doesn't appear to boot on my Raspberry Pi 3B just yet. Not quite as plug and play as I was hoping.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Jonny Quest posted:

I'm trying to get mine to work. The drivers won't install on my Windows 10 machine because I have virtualization enabled for Docker. I downloaded the latest HamPi release but it doesn't appear to boot on my Raspberry Pi 3B just yet. Not quite as plug and play as I was hoping.

Hop into Discord and, or if you're already there, ping me. I had to deal with this and I might be able to provide info that helps

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

So we're looking at trying to put together times for the DMR net.

If you don't have a DMR radio, don't worry! There are alternatives that I can go into detail if requested.

If you're looking to join other ham nerds talk, please take a moment to submit https://whenisgood.net/q5bik3g to give us an idea of what times will work.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

With the UK dropping the requirement to do an in-person practical, I took the opportunity and I got my my UK foundation license the other week :woop:

Yet to make any contact with anybody, the first (and only) signal I picked up was two dudes talking about their cataracts and disability badges.

Bought a DMR radio too hoping to make a contact with a friend on the coast, but all the Repeaters i can pick up are analog only.

Have parts to make a slimjim antenna on the way, hopefully I can get a bit better signal with that. Otherwise it’s off to find some accessible hills.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Horse Clocks posted:

With the UK dropping the requirement to do an in-person practical, I took the opportunity and I got my my UK foundation license the other week :woop:

Yet to make any contact with anybody, the first (and only) signal I picked up was two dudes talking about their cataracts and disability badges.

Bought a DMR radio too hoping to make a contact with a friend on the coast, but all the Repeaters i can pick up are analog only.

Have parts to make a slimjim antenna on the way, hopefully I can get a bit better signal with that. Otherwise it’s off to find some accessible hills.

Welcome! I’m a foundation too but the RSGB have now said they’ll do intermediate level exams too so I’m highly considering it. I don’t have much practical experience, basically none on HF. Maybe in the future but I’m primarily wanting to do this so I can put my own gear on the air, which foundations can’t do.

I can reliably-ish pass test exams from some app but the current RSGB 2019 mock papers did kick my arse a bit.

Where are you located?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Horse Clocks posted:

If you grab a cheap chinese MMDVM board and a raspberry pi you can hop on any brandmeister DMR talkgroup you want, including the one some discord goons have been playing with.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

thehustler posted:

Welcome! I’m a foundation too but the RSGB have now said they’ll do intermediate level exams too so I’m highly considering it. I don’t have much practical experience, basically none on HF. Maybe in the future but I’m primarily wanting to do this so I can put my own gear on the air, which foundations can’t do.

I can reliably-ish pass test exams from some app but the current RSGB 2019 mock papers did kick my arse a bit.

Where are you located?
They’re doing intermediate exams remotely too?! That’s great, the less time spent with old men and the feint smell of incontinence the better.

I picked up the Intermediate book, on the off chance I get into it.

I’m in NW London, closest to GB3HR.

[Edit] went for a walk up a hill and managed to hit a DMR repeater, post a GPS position over ARPS, and found out whoever manages the DMR address book took liberties with my display name... jerk

[Edit2] can get a DMR signal at home and from Caterham on the other side of London woop.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 2, 2020

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

The DMR net will be happening tonight (04/08/2020) at 8:00PM PT on TG 3163563

A note about this:

quote:

WHEN CREATING THE CONTACT MAKE SURE TO SELECT GROUP AND NOT PRIVATE

Don't get your underoos in a wad if you can't make tonight, the next net will be Friday (07/08/2020) at 6:00PM PT on the same TG.

If you want to do net control, speak up; we have a script you can (or don't who cares) read to make it easier. It's been used a total of one times now, so it's getting some traction.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

drunk mutt posted:

The DMR net will be happening tonight (04/08/2020) at 8:00PM PT on TG 3163563

A note about this:

Don't get your underoos in a wad if you can't make tonight, the next net will be Friday (07/08/2020) at 6:00PM PT on the same TG.

If you want to do net control, speak up; we have a script you can (or don't who cares) read to make it easier. It's been used a total of one times now, so it's getting some traction.

Come ready to chat. No “no traffic” bullshit.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Just a reminder post, to remind, the posters of this thread, that the DMR net will be occurring at 6:00PM PT on TG 3163563

quote:

WHEN CREATING THE CONTACT MAKE SURE TO SELECT GROUP AND NOT PRIVATE

These posts for reminders will not continue beyond this one; if you want reminders, get on Discord. The schedule, in the event that it's updated, may be posted; but as of now it's Tuesday 8:00PM PT and Friday 6:00PM PT (Not in the middle of the loving Atlantic ocean).

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

drunk mutt posted:

Just a reminder post, to remind, the posters of this thread, that the DMR net will be occurring at 6:00PM PT on TG 3163563

These posts for reminders will not continue beyond this one; if you want reminders, get on Discord. The schedule, in the event that it's updated, may be posted; but as of now it's Tuesday 8:00PM PT and Friday 6:00PM PT (Not in the middle of the loving Atlantic ocean).

CQ DISCORD; the only link I found a few pages back is dead.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TasogareNoKagi posted:

CQ DISCORD; the only link I found a few pages back is dead.

https://discord.gg/R46wYGB

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Lately I've been getting the itch to get on HF. As I've probably mentioned before in this thread, I'm in a basement apartment (with no patio or balcony) which means any HF setup I put together will need to be portable (there's an open field near my apartment as well as a number of parks in the area that I could operate from). Here's the setup I'm thinking of:
Are there any obvious problems with this setup, particularly anything important I'm missing? I realize that especially the antenna is a compromise, particularly on the 40m and 20m bands (which are the ones I'm most interested in). I picked it because it seemed like it would be easier/more convenient to set up than some of the portable dipole/inverted-V antennas I was also looking at and for not much more than them (especially considering that for those I would also need to buy a telescoping mast to support them whereas I already have a tripod I can use for mounting the vertical antenna). Is this reasoning sound? Also, the crimp tool for the Powerpole terminals is really expensive ($25) compared to the cost of the terminals themselves (6/$10), can I get away with just using some pliers or would I really want to buy the crimper?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

just upgraded to my general while (remotely) attending def con; now to get hf gear i guess!

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Crusader posted:

just upgraded to my general while (remotely) attending def con; now to get hf gear i guess!

:toot::hf::homebrew:

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Nice! Like a dope, I foolishly believed that DEF CON was cancelled. I didn't realize they were doing it remotely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Can someone tell me if what I've got here is actually present or is some sort of harmonic artifact that comes from using a cheap SDR radio?

It is some Spanish-language shortwave radio stations that come in incredibly well here in Tampa, but scrolling around I hear the same broadcast at a lot of places across many bands, and sometimes coming in right in the middle of my 20m (which is the same broadcast as what is just above 40m). I'm contemplating buying a more expensive SDR like an RSP1A or maybe cheap out and get an MSI.SDR, but don't know if it will eliminate receiving this in a place where I don't think it actually is. Right now I am getting it on 7.33500MHz, 7.365000MHz, 14.069800MHz, 14.100000MHz, 14.13000MHz, all the exact same stream.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 10, 2020