Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

yah es'hail-2 is fuckin rad and it's a testament to how much american hams have fallen behind that we let somebody else beat us to a geostationary sat. Not that it's a contest, but.

the best amsat can come up with is yet another wave of schoolyard demo satellites with _slightly_ higher orbits so wow they'll last 27 minutes on a pass instead of 13! They might have one built later this year! Meanwhile the other hemisphere is happily loving with downconverters and sending digital audio and video from Europe to Africa.

(AMSAT has given up on so many projects and they're going to ride out the shot clock trickling out LEO cubesats until they all die off, then shutter it, is my guess.)

America have given us STARLINK so u can winlink telnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Big Mackson posted:

America have given us STARLINK so u can winlink telnet.

there's enormous ham interest in StArLiNk because so many of them are weirdo preppers in lovely backwoods compounds. 99% of them have musk brain. It's a sad fall from when this used to be "the EE's hobby"

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

there's enormous ham interest in StArLiNk because so many of them are weirdo preppers in lovely backwoods compounds. 99% of them have musk brain. It's a sad fall from when this used to be "the EE's hobby"

I've been watching a bunch of videos on how to use and program the HT I just picked up and it was a roll of the dice whether I'd get a well informed radio enthusiast or weirdo preppers and HSLD larpers talking about poo poo like "tactical comms" with their Baofengs.

I ended up going with that TYT TH-UV88 and it's been easy enough to use so far. The stereotype of it being old people talking about their ailments is hilariously true, but there was something endearing about the guy last night talking about getting the Lasiks and being so happy about being able to do stuff like again like... use more radios where before he was having trouble reading the instruments.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jonny 290 posted:

I think that Starlink is pretty cool, beating Hughes satellite internet is a pretty easy bar to clear though. Do you think it's just doomed to be either over-sold and completely useless, or end up massively expensive? There's only a set amount of RF spectrum, I do think it's insane to think it will appreciably replace copper or fiber, but there's a lot of places where existing infrastructure sucks and nobody's going to invest in pulling fiber out there anytime soon.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Big Mackson posted:

i have set up satellite dish on my porch and can take in QO-100 but i have let it rot for 2 years because the equipment for TXing costs a lot (for me). :negative:

This post about homebrewing amplifiers and antennas for it is very interesting. They're using some USRP N210s which weren't cheap at the time, but I wonder if you can use some cheaper exciters than that. Edit: Note the followup comment that explains how to build an SSB radio in GNU Radio for the SDR transmitter.

Vir fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 27, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Twerk from Home posted:

I think that Starlink is pretty cool, beating Hughes satellite internet is a pretty easy bar to clear though. Do you think it's just doomed to be either over-sold and completely useless, or end up massively expensive? There's only a set amount of RF spectrum, I do think it's insane to think it will appreciably replace copper or fiber, but there's a lot of places where existing infrastructure sucks and nobody's going to invest in pulling fiber out there anytime soon.

It's a grift from the starting gate. Their big sell was that they were going to basically create a separate-but-equal Internet using laser links between starlink birds, so starlink user A sending data to starlink user B would never hit a ground station or a conventional transit pipe. The birds in orbit literally do not have any lasers on them that COULD do this, and SpaceX has never proven the concept of sat-to-sat point-to-point data transfer yet. They'd need to aim lasers at the equivalent of a strawberry at a mile, itself moving a mile a second, to execute their plan.

Starlink is a make-work grift to keep SpaceX funded until...something about Mars.

Sorry for hijacking with musky hate but he's ruining astronomy with his stupid vanity project

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

So I made this Internet-based morse code repeater and I'd love to get the feedback of any goons who have opinions.

https://vail.woozle.org/

It's supposed to work like a radio works: there's no indication of who's listening, whether anybody at all is connected, no fancy stuff to display the letters being sent. It's just a $7 altoids-tin CW transciever, except on the Internet and you can use your phone.

I can't copy morse code for the life of me, and it took me a full year to understand what this helpful Italian guy was trying to explain about how the Iambic input was messed up, so I really depend on the input of people who understand how things are actually supposed to work.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

cruft posted:

So I made this Internet-based morse code repeater and I'd love to get the feedback of any goons who have opinions.

https://vail.woozle.org/

It's supposed to work like a radio works: there's no indication of who's listening, whether anybody at all is connected, no fancy stuff to display the letters being sent. It's just a $7 altoids-tin CW transciever, except on the Internet and you can use your phone.

I can't copy morse code for the life of me, and it took me a full year to understand what this helpful Italian guy was trying to explain about how the Iambic input was messed up, so I really depend on the input of people who understand how things are actually supposed to work.

Awesome man, that's really cool. I'm also on a big learning CW kick right now so I will keep this around. The iambic paddles work as expected, I sent a bunch of really janky code trying to get used to doing it with a mouse.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Couple pics from my portable outing a couple of weekends ago. Overlanding is another hobby of mine and having a radio around provides some good entertainment especially when I am alone.

Pic of the power distribution, there is a 100AH battery under the shelf hooked up to a charger to get power from the alternator while driving. Also a 200w solar panel on the roof rack to power the fridge while stopped.

A couple of anderson powerpole 20amp circuits to run radios and other accessories.

Want to do a few POTA activations this summer and hopefully some SOTA from a backpack with my new QRP radio

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It’s great because it works on an iOS Safari without zooming in or thinking I’m selecting text when I send dit dit. Instant 10/10.

Iambic keyer works great too

Edit: nobody home though...

copen
Feb 2, 2003

thehustler posted:

It’s great because it works on an iOS Safari without zooming in or thinking I’m selecting text when I send dit dit. Instant 10/10.

Iambic keyer works great too

Edit: nobody home though...

I hear you, can't quite copy after cq cq cq though :( still learning. But it seems to work!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
After being shelved for a year, I decided to take out my only HF rig, a BITX I bought last spring, and see if I could get it working. Last time I couldn't hear poo poo, not so much as a CW beep. My antenna is an 84' end fed wire because I wanted something portable that I could take up and down easily while I waited for my radio shack to get finished. Originally, being very green and not having a strong grasp of antenna theory, I decided to ground the antenna with a copper spike. I think this was stupid and is what screwed me over last spring, as when I attached a ~40' length of counterpoise wire to the grounding nut on the box of the antenna and laid it perpendicular to the run of the antenna, I was able to finally pick up CW, data, and phone!

Also, I cracked open the box at the base of the antenna where all the baluns are. Am I wrong or is this thing, with a counterpoise connected, just a poorly designed dipole?

Ugh I need to get better at antennas...

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Neat. This is easier to deal with than the CW-over-IRC solution that we've used before. Is it possible to change the key bindings for the keyboard keys?

mycomancy posted:

I attached a ~40' length of counterpoise wire to the grounding nut on the box of the antenna and laid it perpendicular to the run of the antenna,
Could you draw this? I'm not sure what you mean.

Also what kinds of baluns are they? Are they just 1:1 common mode chokes?

Vir fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 27, 2021

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

copen posted:

I hear you, can't quite copy after cq cq cq though :( still learning. But it seems to work!

MM3IIG was the call with mangled variations of TEST thrown in

Edit: yeah adding a keyboard option would be great

thehustler fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 27, 2021

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Vir posted:

Neat. This is easier to deal with than the CW-over-IRC solution that we've used before. Is it possible to change the key bindings for the keyboard keys?

Could you draw this? I'm not sure what you mean.

Also what kinds of baluns are they? Are they just 1:1 common mode chokes?

It's one of these.

I attached a length of wire to the nut that is just below the PL259 connector. The instructions suggest to do this if grounding isn't feasible, and it seems like it worked for me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jonny 290 posted:

The birds in orbit literally do not have any lasers on them that COULD do this
This is no longer technically correct, the ones going in to polar orbits supposedly have the lasers. So far that's just the ten that rode along with Transporter-1 in January but this is supposed to be followed up by a few hundred more starting in July.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Is that W0WFT calling me on the thing? That's basically all I know, I need to do some learning myself first, but this is so rad.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

thehustler posted:

Is that W0WFT calling me on the thing? That's basically all I know, I need to do some learning myself first, but this is so rad.

W0TDF, pretty poor sending on my part though so good job hah. I really want to get the arduino controller to hook up my paddles now.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Seems to be a little bug sometimes where I trigger the iambic keyer with the keyboard when it isn't selected, cruft?

Edit: Like in a loop

Edit 2: Also a "cancel input" toggle would be fantastic if I just want to listen but open new tabs. That's how I may be toggling the loop.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 27, 2021

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Weirdly it’s international morse code day apparently

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mycomancy posted:

Am I wrong or is this thing, with a counterpoise connected, just a poorly designed dipole?

All antennas have two segments that radiate in opposition. They're not always equally sized. It's just that with these end fed setups all the kids are buying these days, their coax shield ends up being forced into doing duty as the 'other half' of the antenna.

antennas are like a combo of a 4wd truck and the earth it's traveling on. If you're in slick mud that doesn't give you any traction, you don't go anywhere no matter how hard you hit the gas. The counterpoise is the terra firma your truck can actually push against.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Jonny 290 posted:

antennas are like a combo of a 4wd truck and the earth it's traveling on. If you're in slick mud that doesn't give you any traction, you don't go anywhere no matter how hard you hit the gas. The counterpoise is the terra firma your truck can actually push against.

I'm stealing this for next time I try to explain how things work. Might work better than my usual waving hands.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh, whoops, I posted to this thread and then immediately forgot I'd done so.

Today I added "virtual" repeaters that send fortunes with various inter-letter gap spacing multipliers, hoping maybe I could use this thing to try and not suck at copying. I probably did some other stuff, too. I forget now.

Vir posted:

This is easier to deal with than the CW-over-IRC solution that we've used before. Is it possible to change the key bindings for the keyboard keys?

What keys did you have in mind? I'll just add them on the sly.

You can spin up new repeaters just like IRC channels. Just type a new name in for the repeater name, and then you can share that URL. I think I added this today.

thehustler posted:

Seems to be a little bug sometimes where I trigger the iambic keyer with the keyboard when it isn't selected, cruft?

Edit: Like in a loop

Edit 2: Also a "cancel input" toggle would be fantastic if I just want to listen but open new tabs. That's how I may be toggling the loop.

I bet you were holding down shift or Ctrl, which this morning were like straight and iambic keys, but I have since unbound. Let me know if it keeps happening and we can begin the debugging dance, which everybody hates.

Those keys would sometimes get hit, and then you move away from the window while they're still down, and it never gets the "I let go of the key" event to stop sending. There are ways to deal with this but it's easier to just disable those keys, which hopefully works.

But you don't have to select the Iambic tab to send it, you can just start wailing away on your preferred keys as soon as the page loads. That tab is mostly there for mobile devices.

copen posted:

W0TDF, pretty poor sending on my part though so good job hah. I really want to get the arduino controller to hook up my paddles now.

The arduino thing makes it way cooler: you don't have to keep the browser window focused and you can open an editor or whatever. If you have a USB musical keyboard, you can use that too:

C - straight key
C# - dit
D - dah

You can also use a gamepad. I've tested with an XBox controller, Logitech somethingorother, Nintendo Switch Pro, and an 8bitdo tinything. I'm pretty sure nearly every USB gamepad will work. But the MIDI instrument (which the Arduino thing shows up as) is the A+ pro interface since it lets you minimize the browser if you want.

thehustler posted:

Weirdly it’s international morse code day apparently

.-.. --- .-..

cruft fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 28, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

You can spin up new repeaters just like IRC channels. Just type a new name in for the repeater name, and then you can share that URL. I think I added this today.

The reason I mentioned this is in case someone wanted to make a Goon CW repeater.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

cruft posted:

The reason I mentioned this is in case someone wanted to make a Goon CW repeater.

Can I post this to #AmateurRadio #HamRadio Twitter yet? :)

Edit: Iambic keying is so much nicer than straight oh my GOD.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

Can I post this to #AmateurRadio #HamRadio Twitter yet? :)

Edit: Iambic keying is so much nicer than straight oh my GOD.

Of course. Please tag me so I can follow, i PMed my Twitter username.

The main complaint people seem to have is that there's nobody to talk to. I just don't know where to post the flyers to get attention. I'm an asocial computer nerd, see.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

cruft posted:

Of course. Please tag me so I can follow, i PMed my Twitter username.

The main complaint people seem to have is that there's nobody to talk to. I just don't know where to post the flyers to get attention. I'm an asocial computer nerd, see.

I'd put it on Reddit too, I don't think you'll get swamped. The subreddits for amateur and ham radio there are popular but not THAT popular.

Also some Facebook groups if you're into that.

It's on Twitter now, though!

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 28, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

I'd put it on Reddit too, I don't think you'll get swamped. The subreddits for amateur and ham radio there are popular but not THAT popular.

Also some Facebook groups if you're into that.

It's on Twitter now, though!

Thanks! Maybe we'll get a few more users; but we need two people actively hoping to have a conversation :)

I've been listening and it sounds like there are several people connected, but nobody wants to venture talking.

I expect this is similar to the actual airwaves. Speaking from personal experience, I'm not comfortable trying to talk to somebody who's clearly sending 8-12 times faster than I can copy. I decide I need more practice, resolve to practice more, other stuff happens, and I'm forever lurking on my own repeater.

Like, someone just sent a CQ on General Chaos that I only understood because I've heard CQ so many times. I have no idea what came after that, and the mental hurdle of engaging that person in a conversation was just too great, so I stayed quiet.

This may be why things like morsecode.me and vband have more users: they ease barriers to entry.

Last night my dad suggested a toggleable thing to highlight on the dichotomous key what's being sent. I feel like that might help.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

cruft posted:

Thanks! Maybe we'll get a few more users; but we need two people actively hoping to have a conversation :)

I've been listening and it sounds like there are several people connected, but nobody wants to venture talking.

I expect this is similar to the actual airwaves. Speaking from personal experience, I'm not comfortable trying to talk to somebody who's clearly sending 8-12 times faster than I can copy. I decide I need more practice, resolve to practice more, other stuff happens, and I'm forever lurking on my own repeater.

Like, someone just sent a CQ on General Chaos that I only understood because I've heard CQ so many times. I have no idea what came after that, and the mental hurdle of engaging that person in a conversation was just too great, so I stayed quiet.

This may be why things like morsecode.me and vband have more users: they ease barriers to entry.

Last night my dad suggested a toggleable thing to highlight on the dichotomous key what's being sent. I feel like that might help.

I keep calling CQ randomly to see if folk reply. I had one person reply this morning with nothing useful so that was probably off Twitter.

You probably heard me and I am very happy to go much slower as I just know that CQ call off by heart and I really don't rattle the rest off that quick :p

Sat on now if you want...

Edit: Your Dad is clever, very good suggestion for learning, along with a local-sounding option only "Inhibit PTT" or something.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 28, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

I keep calling CQ randomly to see if folk reply. I had one person reply this morning with nothing useful so that was probably off Twitter.

You probably heard me and I am very happy to go much slower as I just know that CQ call off by heart and I really don't rattle the rest off that quick :p

Sat on now if you want...

Edit: Your Dad is clever, very good suggestion for learning, along with a local-sounding option only "Inhibit PTT" or something.

The new "Fortunes" repeaters are local only. Once a fortune is done rattling off, you'll have up to a minute of empty time to play around.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Guys I caught the ham bug again, this time though I caught a digital mode variant. Since my lovely end fed antenna and underpowered BITX will probably preclude phone contact, I decided to look into digital mode. Even broke out the old breadboard and tackle box to build a prototype VOX circuit, though it was buggy and I don't have a function generator to test it.

I can't wait to get my new job and move so I can rebuild my electronics workbench and buy a real radio.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What’s the best cheapo upgrade for the Baofeng UV-5r antenna? I’m sure the stock one can be improved upon.

I’m feeling like messing with it again and I’m the city, an antenna upgrade might be helpful

ickna
May 19, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s the best cheapo upgrade for the Baofeng UV-5r antenna? I’m sure the stock one can be improved upon.

I’m feeling like messing with it again and I’m the city, an antenna upgrade might be helpful

I’m partial to the Nagoya NA-771.. if you don’t mind a 16 inch whip for 2.5db of gain. ~$20

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The super elastic signal stick makes a noticeable improvement, is almost indestructible, comes in a variety of fun colors, and the proceeds benefit free ham radio testing resources:

https://signalstuff.com/product-category/antennas/signal-sticks/

Edit: this is the one with the correct connector for your uv5r:

https://signalstuff.com/product/super-elastic-signal-stick-sma-female/

Walrusmaster fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 29, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

ickna posted:

I’m partial to the Nagoya NA-771.. if you don’t mind a 16 inch whip for 2.5db of gain. ~$20

I've heard good things about the Nagoya, but the problem is that there are so many counterfeits out there that it can be a hassle to get your hands on a real one.

The Super-elastic Signal Stick seems like a similarly good upgrade for an HT, and you're buying them directly from the guy who makes them so you know it's not a bootleg. The profit goes towards funding HamStudy, I believe. As soon as a couple of my friends also get their certificates and first radios I'm going to do a bulk order, since they no longer offer the $1 shipping to Canada unfortunately.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

The signal stick is great. But you might end up overloading the poor ‘feng’s receiver with a good antenna.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Walrusmaster posted:

The super elastic signal stick makes a noticeable improvement, is almost indestructible, comes in a variety of fun colors, and the proceeds benefit free ham radio testing resources:

https://signalstuff.com/product-category/antennas/signal-sticks/

Edit: this is the one with the correct connector for your uv5r:

https://signalstuff.com/product/super-elastic-signal-stick-sma-female/

Nice! Purchased!

Amazon seems filled with knockoffs. The reviews on the foldable antennas have more than a few pictures of antennas who’s guts are tape measure tape.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

manero posted:

The signal stick is great. But you might end up overloading the poor ‘feng’s receiver with a good antenna.

I never knew that was a thing that could even happen

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nice! Purchased!

Amazon seems filled with knockoffs. The reviews on the foldable antennas have more than a few pictures of antennas who’s guts are tape measure tape.

Did you get a fun color though??!!??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, green! Because black was sold out and glow in the dark is more expensive