Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I never knew that was a thing that could even happen

For those of us operating in large cities or high up on a hill near an urban area it’s a loving killer. Picking up images of out-of-band signals and blasting over weaker stuff. More expensive radios are better and have higher quality circuitry etc but you can’t always fight it.

There are bandpass filters you can buy/make to help.

Edit: look up selectivity vs sensitivity

thehustler fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Since I already had an FT-817, I put an SMA-to-BNC adapter with a rubber ring on my HT so I can use BNC antennas on both radios. I also got a BNC-to-SMA connector to plug the SDR antennas into the FT-817.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

thehustler posted:

For those of us operating in large cities or high up on a hill near an urban area it’s a loving killer. Picking up images of out-of-band signals and blasting over weaker stuff. More expensive radios are better and have higher quality circuitry etc but you can’t always fight it.

There are bandpass filters you can buy/make to help.

Edit: look up selectivity vs sensitivity

Oh, I get it, I thought they meant “overload” like damaging things, not just SNR fuckery and signals overlapping each other

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, I get it, I thought they meant “overload” like damaging things, not just SNR fuckery and signals overlapping each other

Oh yeah - not like that at all, don’t panic!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I never knew that was a thing that could even happen

It's kind of a lore thing that they intentionally designed the uv5r's rubber duck to be a functional part of the harmonic suppression/front end control for the radio, so when you put a real, "good" antenna on it the circuits in the radio suddenly eat poo poo, yeah.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

cq dx cq dx cq dx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bHuCwKmkI

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That seems like the most correct way to do it, it's just that none of us are that good.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep a+ operator right there

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The hand popping in with the cig really sells it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ham-adjacent, new MPPT board came in

look at that cutie. Gonna throw it in a box with some powerpoles and break out my lil' 20 watt folding setup and see how it does. Should be able to handle a qrp rig and an HT no problemo with a usb light on the park bench once it gets dark.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Oh hey that thing is rad. What sort of battery are you running? will it support an AGM or Lifepo?

May be buying a 90's battle cruiser radio in a ts-850sat today, sigh. My ts-590s does everything better in a smaller footprint but those 90 ~aesthetics~

copen
Feb 2, 2003
dOouBble PpoSt

Is anybody interested in practicing CW on the vail server or on 40m? I'm getting to the point I can copy 90+% at less than 10wpm and want to start getting ready for my first real QSO. Join us on discord and we can schedule some time https://discord.gg/DyjPbvEbby

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

60 mins of morse with copen on Vail has done more for my CW skills in that hour than I thought possible. Thanks, cruft.

Edit: Then we all listened to manero in a park

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

copen posted:

Oh hey that thing is rad. What sort of battery are you running? will it support an AGM or Lifepo?

May be buying a 90's battle cruiser radio in a ts-850sat today, sigh. My ts-590s does everything better in a smaller footprint but those 90 ~aesthetics~

Hell yeah 850s own.

Board looks like it's focused on lead-acid. I have four 35AH AGMs so I'm pretty well sorted there.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

60 mins of morse with copen on Vail has done more for my CW skills in that hour than I thought possible. Thanks, cruft.

:woop:

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Hell yeah 850s own.

Couldn't get it at the price I was hoping for, ah well. I have enough toys for now.

Yeah those AGM's should be plenty to run QRP or even QRO for quite some time.

doing CW QSO's is fun as heck. I'm hooked! way more engaging than just doing practice over and over.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

thehustler posted:

Only 3 Q’s on 20 but it was nice to get out. 90F today and I think my PX3 overheated, but it was a blast!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I saw this pop up on woot today. Is this a decent step up from a USB sdr setup?
https://sellout.woot.com/offers/radioddity-ga-510-10-watt-dual-band-ham-radio-1?ref=cnt_wp_0_3

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

net work error posted:

I saw this pop up on woot today. Is this a decent step up from a USB sdr setup?
https://sellout.woot.com/offers/radioddity-ga-510-10-watt-dual-band-ham-radio-1?ref=cnt_wp_0_3

It’s in the same category as a Baofeng. I’m not sure I’d pay a premium over something like a UV5R variant. Don’t get too hung up on “high power” in a handheld beyond 5w.

It’ll get you on local analog repeaters and local simplex. You’ll find some commute time chat for sure. Probably some local club nets and storm chat. Like any handheld, you’ll have to go outside, especially to transmit.

You’ll be able to listen any remaining analog public service type stuff, but don’t expect to scan super fast.

It won’t do any of the digital decoding that you can do with an SDR, but an SDR in that price range can’t transmit either. They’re different toys, I think worth playing with both.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

without a radio for the moment but trying to decode swradiogram over websdr has been fun

when im not accidentally turning the moon into a potato that is

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Crusader posted:

without a radio for the moment but trying to decode swradiogram over websdr has been fun

when im not accidentally turning the moon into a potato that is

The potato moon is probably in a prophecy somewhere. Best be careful around toadstools and metallic chairs for the next week.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
potato chip

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Decoding on SDR is annoying because your soundcard seems to drift sometimes, I can't do WEFAX over SDR for that reason. (in a browser, yeah?)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

thehustler posted:

Decoding on SDR is annoying because your soundcard seems to drift sometimes, I can't do WEFAX over SDR for that reason. (in a browser, yeah?)

yeup

yeah i guess im gonna figure out my radio situation this month, have put it off long enough

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Got an arduino in the mail today and hooked up my key. Got a few more bits coming in the mail to add the straight key and put it in a little box. Thanks cruft!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

copen posted:

Got an arduino in the mail today and hooked up my key. Got a few more bits coming in the mail to add the straight key and put it in a little box. Thanks cruft!

Sweet! Looks great, and really helps drive home the "this is not difficult to set up" message. Can I put your photo in the README?

I'm pretty sure my latest code will work on VBand too, with no modifications. It'll also work on BandLab, if you want to record some music with only three notes ;)

copen
Feb 2, 2003

cruft posted:

Sweet! Looks great, and really helps drive home the "this is not difficult to set up" message. Can I put your photo in the README?

I'm pretty sure my latest code will work on VBand too, with no modifications. It'll also work on BandLab, if you want to record some music with only three notes ;)

Hah awesome I’ll have to try out the music thing. But super easy to put together feel free to use the pic however

Dastardly_Crapsack
Oct 17, 2008
I got a fancy new scanner so I could hear digital stuff without setting up the laptop and dsd+, but now I've encountered encrypted signals for the first time and they piss me off. I want to hear everything dammit!! There seems to be near constant fbi/dea traffic which kinda surprises me since I'm not in a large city or anything. Anyway I know there's no way to listen to it and it would be illegal to do so, I'm just bored and wanted to post.

Unrelated but does anyone know what these things are transmitting? There's a camera but there's also several antennas, they can't all be for the camera. They're all up and down I45 in texas

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Dastardly_Crapsack posted:

I got a fancy new scanner so I could hear digital stuff without setting up the laptop and dsd+, but now I've encountered encrypted signals for the first time and they piss me off. I want to hear everything dammit!! There seems to be near constant fbi/dea traffic which kinda surprises me since I'm not in a large city or anything. Anyway I know there's no way to listen to it and it would be illegal to do so, I'm just bored and wanted to post.

Unrelated but does anyone know what these things are transmitting? There's a camera but there's also several antennas, they can't all be for the camera. They're all up and down I45 in texas

Looks like the hardware used for the traffic/alerting systems mesh. Might have some additional hardware on there, but those are up around the state.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Made a 4:1 balun for a 40m portable windom I have planned. Also have an unused 10m dipole laying around that I may repurpose the balun from to make a 40m dipole for the house.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

actually hit the button on my baofeng after a long time of not doing that. had a brief qso with a guy from up north and maybe also a guy in san francisco; i couldn't be sure 'cause it was really hard to copy. but anyway it was cool and i like talking on the radio

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Finally got that data-mode board fabbed and they're outstandingly cool. I picked red for the first time and it's come out great. Soldered and worked first time (it is very simple, of course).

Just need to order the optocoupler and USB to Serial adapter to make the automatic PTT work, for now the slide-switch is still used. Made for TRRS to use with laptops or tablets.

Best thing is with JLCPCB's way of doing orders I have 4 spares to give out or use as backups.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

Finally got that data-mode board fabbed and they're outstandingly cool. I picked red for the first time and it's come out great. Soldered and worked first time (it is very simple, of course).

Just need to order the optocoupler and USB to Serial adapter to make the automatic PTT work, for now the slide-switch is still used. Made for TRRS to use with laptops or tablets.

Best thing is with JLCPCB's way of doing orders I have 4 spares to give out or use as backups.

That's really nice looking.

Tell me about the board fab process, because I am just about ready for this with the electronic bagpipes I've been designing. What did you use to lay the board out?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I made a PowerPoint for my local club which I may present when we get back up and running after Covid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jgzzqsf5ahdn62/Moving%20to%20PCB%20Construction.pptx?dl=0

Essentially it’s all in there but Kicad for schematic capture and PCB design and FreeCAD for mechanical integration

Edit: Added the finished pics to my presentation :) https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mvoc6f8on7dkfc4mgzfmi/Moving-to-PCB-Construction.pptx?dl=0&rlkey=y010avhpzwfuo82agqhm5ipaz

thehustler fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 21, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

I made a PowerPoint for my local club which I may present when we get back up and running after Covid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jgzzqsf5ahdn62/Moving%20to%20PCB%20Construction.pptx?dl=0

Essentially it’s all in there but Kicad for schematic capture and PCB design and FreeCAD for mechanical integration

Dang, you just happened to have a presentation put together answering my exact question!

I installed Kicad, kicked the tires for 30 minutes, and decided I was too dumb to figure it out. But I'll give it another shot!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

cruft posted:

Dang, you just happened to have a presentation put together answering my exact question!

I installed Kicad, kicked the tires for 30 minutes, and decided I was too dumb to figure it out. But I'll give it another shot!

If I remember later tonight I’ll dig out the resources that really helped me get it. Some YouTube videos and the like.

Try and get used to schematic creation first. A to add a symbol, select your part, then click to place. Then join in wire mode, W to start a wire and K to end it. That part is fiddly. M moves stuff around when your mouse is over it (to move more than one thing you can draw a box to select and when you release it’ll all follow the pointer) and D I think is duplicate.

After that you can choose your component footprints to match each symbol and save out a net list and move on to the PCB part.

Edit: and yes I did - I am so excited about this part of the hobby and I think more people should learn about it and stop with crappy DIY construction methods of the past. Everything looks so shonky and fall-aparty!

thehustler fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 21, 2021

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Here's a good tutorial series turning a puzzle from the game Shenzhen I/O into a real life version in KiCad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afu1GoA1cgM

Also this is great to ease you in, a very simple board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9b_6WLemmg

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Because I’m a stupid idiot I volunteered to be the net controller for the DMR net last night and I... didn’t completely hate doing it. Unfortunately I do hate time zones and most of you pricks are in America. Signing on at 2am when I was supposed to be going to bed in 15 mins and then spending 40 mins on air rag chewing was fun, but not ultimately sustainable.

I was wondering if any Euro Goons, particularly U.K.-based (gently caress Brexit, it still counts geographically!) would be interested in a weekly net on our regular SA TG? I was going to suggest Saturday evening but on second thoughts Monday evening at, say, 9pm would work better for me. Saturday would mean our friends across the Atlantic can join in the fun, though.

It’d be good to get more European representation around these parts and maybe get an updated callsign list going.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I need a bench power supply for building small stuff. I just need something that can put out 0-24V and a few amps that won't set my workbench on fire. God knows I'd love to get a good HP unit or something but they go for a lot--I'd like to stay around $100 or so. Recommendations? I see a bunch of stuff around $60 on Amazon, most of which look to be the same hardware in a slightly different case with different knob positions and, occasionally, labels like "VOLTACE"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pham Nuwen posted:

I need a bench power supply for building small stuff. I just need something that can put out 0-24V and a few amps that won't set my workbench on fire. God knows I'd love to get a good HP unit or something but they go for a lot--I'd like to stay around $100 or so. Recommendations? I see a bunch of stuff around $60 on Amazon, most of which look to be the same hardware in a slightly different case with different knob positions and, occasionally, labels like "VOLTACE"...

Is voltace the same as electromotive farce?