Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Decided a couple months ago I wanted to upgrade my Tech so I could get some real access to HF, and fast forward to today, I passed both the General and Extra.

Now I have to figure out how I can get a station set up without interfering with my dad's setup in the same house. Just another reason why living with your parents sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Yesterday was a nice day, so I decided to test out my kit that I've been building out for the past month after upgrading my licence. I've decided to go with a portable setup, since it's not really practical to have a full-time setup at home.

Strung up the antenna, hooked everything up and did some operating out on the deck.

Rig is a Xiegu G90. Not bad for cheap, and seems like it punches above its weight class. Had it hooked up to a 6Ah LiFePO4 battery, and was able to go for about 4 hours off of whatever charge was on the battery that it shipped with.

Antenna is an end-fed half wave, I bought the KM4ACK kit. It's a nice portable kit, and comes with everything you need to put it together. Got it tuned for 40/20/15/10 no problem.

I got contacts in Venezuela and the Azores using FT8/FT4, and had a solid signal report on SSB with someone doing POTA in Virginia. Would have had a good contact on SSB with someone in the Canadian Rockies, but I forgot that I needed to change the input source on the radio back to microphone after switching from digital operating. Not bad for 20 watts in New York.

This all can fit between a Harbor Freight Pelican-style case and a backpack, and wasn't too bad to get everything all set up. I'm definitely looking forward to trying out doing Parks on the Air activations in the future.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

It looks like it comes with a pipe mount, so you can attach it to a speaker tripod.

I'll also be a contrarian and throw out the Yaesu FT-710 as a radio suggestion. The IC-7300 is fantastic, but the 710 is comparable, and typically a few hundred bucks cheaper.

I picked up one last month and have been happy with it so far.

It also has the least bad menu user interface Yaesu has made to date! :v:

But you really can't go wrong with either.