Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jonny 290 posted:

Really sorry you had that experience. I'm back on the air slightly (via hamstick on the fence) and am just stickin to js8call and psk, because no way am i getting out on SSB with this lol, and even if I could, yeah a lot of those fellas are loud these days about that poo poo. Rage against the dying of the light graybeards i guess.

Is js8call only keyboard to keyboard live, or are people running BBSes that you can post to via weak signal modes?

I'm interested in getting into this, apparently a lot of older radios that suck for voice make decent packet base stations so I could pick one up cheap-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

drunk mutt posted:

The new Pi4 can do anything those Toughbooks can do, the issue is just the software isn't designed for the chipset so you wind up having to emulate for the binary which makes it not stand up to the task.

If ham software wasn't notorious for being poorly designed as software, you'd be capable of running any modern application on it.

We are using the 4's for our dev clusters with ML applications and while it's not the greatest, it provides an environment the data dev nerds can test their code before they gently caress up production.

It's less a problem of x86 vs ARM and more that a lot of the software is just windows only, right?

I bet it'd even work on ARM Surfaces, ha.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Has anybody run into a Xiegu G90? Looks pretty competitive for a basic HF rig.

https://swling.com/blog/2020/09/a-review-of-the-xiegu-g90-general-coverage-transceiver/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Does it actually look like DMR will be the standard that will be most popular with hams in a few years? My understanding is that in ham land it is still a marketing and userbase fight between D-Star, DMR, and yaesu fusion.

Does DMR being the clear winner in the commercial space mean that it’s likely to spill over into the ham world?

I’m also curious how the AMBE that all FM digital modes seem to use has aged, and if anybody has compared it to Codec2 at max bitrate, or even Opus at 6kbps?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

DMR has won in the US, yeah. i don't see any d-star coming from behind, and its been a year and a half since yaesu's gambit to subsidize Fusion and it never took off.

Where does this leave Icom / Yaesu / Kenwood? It looks like none of the three sell anything in their Ham lines that does DMR, which sounds to me like they're giving up the VHF / UHF market to be served by either repurposed commercial gear, or let cheapo Chinese brands fully take over that market.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

GMRS license fee is dropping to $35 very soon. Figures since I got mine a couple of months ago.

Around here it almost seems like GMRS repeaters are more popular than 2m/70cm amateur. Probably helps that there are a few networked into the Midwest GMRS system.

Do you have GMRS radio recommendations? It looks like MidlandUSA is basically the only game in town, at a glance.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

There's also the itty bitty Btech 25 watt mobiles if you want something with room to grow

the RJ45 mic plug gives you a sense of scale. That would do just fine on your bars.

I thought that these guys were basically just a Baofeng + an amp, and desensitized just as easily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

there's enormous ham interest in StArLiNk because so many of them are weirdo preppers in lovely backwoods compounds. 99% of them have musk brain. It's a sad fall from when this used to be "the EE's hobby"

I think that Starlink is pretty cool, beating Hughes satellite internet is a pretty easy bar to clear though. Do you think it's just doomed to be either over-sold and completely useless, or end up massively expensive? There's only a set amount of RF spectrum, I do think it's insane to think it will appreciably replace copper or fiber, but there's a lot of places where existing infrastructure sucks and nobody's going to invest in pulling fiber out there anytime soon.