Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Passed my technician exam today, and my boss gave me an icom v82 for passing, so now I've got to find some VHF freqs to listen to. I'm near Joshua Tree National Park, and googling around I've found this where a few freqs are listed for the repeaters used by the park service guys, so I'm creeping on them now which is fun.

Are there any decent databases for searching for commonly used frequencies in certain areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Thanks for the link.

I'm pretty familiar with the AR-8200 and scanning with that, but as far as I know this Icom handset doesn't do that. It can do a bank though so I'm going to punch in a bunch of repeaters and see what's going on around here.

Now I need to start shopping around for an HF transceiver and a DMR handset and and and

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The farthest I've done was picking up a transmission from either Tunis or Algeria while in California. It was probably a shortwave broadcast that somebody was broadcasting in the range the US has allocated to amateur HF. The signal was weak enough that I couldn't make out more than 1 in 5 words at the strongest, unfortunately.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Cell phone reception is largely dependent on a direct line of sight to the tower. The frequencies cells use aren’t very flexible, while something like HF can bounce around all over the world and you can pick up people from North Africa in South California.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I'm gonna share that ~patriot radio~ article with some of my HAM friends in the SIGINT community because that's hilarious on a lot of levels.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

What are you trying to demodulate specifically? I've used my RTL-SDR to listen to listen to a bunch of different trunked mobile networks using just SDR# and Unitrunker and DSDPlus.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The Scientist posted:

I didn't have anything in particular in mind, I just thought it would be an interesting experiment to find some signals, identify them and figure out how to demodulate them just to kind of explore the spectrum.

I am seeing tons of signals but I am having a hell of a time identifying any of them. They all just look like blips on the FFT Spectrum graph, and none of the demodulators built into SDRSharp can demod them in a meaningful way.

There’s a good chance you’re looking at digital signals, and SDR# only had analogue demodulating built in. You’ll need something like unitrunker and DSD+ to demodulate digital signals, even voice.

I recommend starting by identifying the frequencies you’re seeing the signals at and searching around for what type of transmissions use those freqs in your country

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Spent some time having my icom v-82 scan around its range and I was not at all expecting Boulder county to have its police dispatch be broadcast in the clear so close to the 2m band :lol:

Last few places I’ve lived I at least had to use Unitrunker to listen to dispatch.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It’s a harmonic of the original freq that your SDR is picking up. Get a filter and it’ll clear up most of that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I was taught to do it just as a strain relief thing with a single or double loop. Didn’t even think about it working as a balun until now.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

My first thought was that’s a great way to establish pattern of life for a target by tracking their phone’s wifi, but maybe that’s just because of me getting into the RF nerd scene via the military.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It’s your dead relative

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Aren’t p25 and DMR both trunked standards?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Just chuck it on the ground and piss on it

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

A $20 RTL-SDR will let you listen to that just as much as a $600 SDR will. The big things are going to be the software your computer is running and your antenna setup.

Hopefully somebody else has some Mac software advice because I’m not aware of any.

As for the distance, there’s a good chance they’re using repeaters to cover your city if they have to use these nets to communicate to first responders throughout the area.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Most of my experience with FM commercial stations and my SDRs has been trying to get an antenna setup that WONT receive those station whether I want to or not, so I don’t think you need to worry about upgrading the antenna system your car already has for receiving FM

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Sniep posted:

DMR is 70cm unless you're in specific regions of bordering Canada etc. where 70cm is restricted for gov use, which is very small areas. I have a 144mhz DMR radio (a moto cp200d VHF) and i think i've used it... exactly 0 times lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

To me it's the same thing as a lot of radio stuff, it's super cool to be able to pull stuff like that out of thin air.

I'm just about ready to cave and get my own SDR to experiment with. What's a good, cheap kit to start with that I can get in Canada? I see a bunch of NooElec sets on Amazon but I'm not that well educated on what all the available options are. Not interested in transmitting right now, just receiving and doing more trash antenna construction.

Not sure about availability in Canada, but the RTL-SDR brand stick gets you a hell of a lot of radio for a pretty small price.