Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This isn’t technically an amateur radio question , but RF is RF and all the good RF info is here.

If I have a usb NIC that can work on both 2.4 and 5ghz networks and has an SMA connector, is there any reason I can’t use an SMA Y-cable to hook both a 2.4ghz and 5ghz antenna to it simultaneously?

Are there resistance/signal loss/attenuation/whatever things to worry about?

Without a diplexer your signal will be massively distorted trying to split to two antennas like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wardriving ah cool!

You know, you should just give each antenna it's own wifi receiver. Don't gently caress around with the diplexer, it will be cheaper and easier anyways.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wardriving ah cool!

You know, you should just give each antenna it's own wifi receiver. Don't gently caress around with the diplexer, it will be cheaper and easier anyways.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wow that's a really neat project would definitely love to see future updates!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lol I like it that's a pretty great simplification of the concept, but you could just post a AM modulated carrier next to a FM modulated carrier and probably get the concept across just fine.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

poeticoddity posted:

In addition to being awkward to use, that looks like a snapped SMA connector waiting to happen.
Consider getting some coax to serve as strain relief between your radio and antenna. That'd also let you get your antenna higher, and hang it vertically, which might help.

Forget a snapped SMA connector, he might break off his entire radio!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Going to hand build me a VLF transceiver so I can listen to submarine calls in the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

mycomancy posted:

Lmao unless you got kilometers of wire ready to rock I think you'll just be building a receiver.

Gotta aim high buddy!

Let's see what's the quarter wave length for 8900hz? 8 Km??