Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hi amateur radio thread!

I've been wanting to get into this for a few years now but haven't had the motivation. I have the technician study book. I've ready online from numerous people to just take the test and figure everything out afterwards. However, I've taken some sample tests and those questions are pretty hard for me. Should I just go through the book cover to cover a few times or is there another strategy you guys used? The book is quite long. Any advice for getting my license?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok, I have the kb6nu study guide open in a tab that I'll check out throughout the day and I signed up at hamstudy.org (sorry just picked one of the 3). I'll start taking exams here and there until I get up to 80.

I guess I have some work to do now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hi everyone! I posted a while back about wanting to get my tech license and, as is tradition, I didn't study and never did anything. So the past few days I've been studying correct answers on a Ham Test app and am almost done reading this amazingNo Nonsense Technician Guide. My test scores are getting better and I finally got a passing one. I'm going to take maybe 10 more until they're all passing before I take a test. I'm glad I can take an online test but the requirements are pretty crazy so I think I'll just take it in my bathroom lol.

Anyway, I know nothing about radio/electronics besides what I've been reading in that guide so far. I have no idea where to begin once I get my license. I currently have a handheld Baofeng UV-82 that I got a in 2016 that I mostly just looked up local police frequencies and listened to the very few that I was able to get working. Just yesterday I was scanning and found the first ever people talking to each other on it and I was extremely excited. They were from here in Wisconsin for sure (accents, named cities). I think it was a repeater because there was a morse tone sent every once in a while (is that a repeater thing?).

Anyway, again, I don't know where to start. I want to get a base station to set up in my living room. I don't know what equipment I need to get a beginner setup going. Transceiver, power supply, antenna, etc. I have no idea how to set up an antenna and don't know how I could possibly connect it outdoors. I have an old huge TV antenna that's maybe 25 feet up on a tower that I hope one day I can use for something. But right now I just want to start small to learn basic stuff.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Do you guys have any recommendations for a beginner setup? I don't even know all of the equipment I need. Is it possible to have an antenna indoors by a window or something? I don't quite want to drill a hole through my house yet.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Are there any site, forums, or books out there for learning about all of this stuff? From an idiot's perspective? I have the AARL tech handbook. That's about it.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 8, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

eddiewalker posted:

What do you want to do and what license do you hold? It’s a broad hobby.

Nothing yet. I'm studying for my tech and if I keep this up maybe I can have it by next week. I'm not sure what I want to or what I'm able to do. I want to be able to pick up transmissions from a distance. Mostly listen in on other people's conversations. Be able to find weird poo poo. Bounce stuff off the moon or communicate with a satellite. I mostly like the technology and doing weird stuff as opposed to talking to people. Which is strange because I'd imagine talking is probably a very important aspect of.... radio.

mycomancy posted:

Start studying for your tech ticket, then buy an HT and screw around on 2m and 70 cm bands to get used to how people communicate. Once you get there, start studying for the general and learning the really cool poo poo, like digital modes, HF, EME, or whatever strikes your fancy.

What's an HT (read: im an idiot). I have a Baofeng UV-82 with a 15.8in rubber duckie. I can't really get much on it sitting inside my living room. It was only yesterday, after 4 years, that I picked up a regular conversation and not just pieces of police radio. I don't really understand bands yet either. As far as I know 70cm and 2m are popular. I think that's what my Baofeng picks up. Do you need a certain antenna or type of transceiver to pick up different bands?

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 8, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh, I'd also eventually like to get into vintage radios. Old analog stuff that looks like it came out of a cold war bunker.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok so if the first thing I need is an antenna, what would be a very very simple starting antenna, where would I mount it, and how does one get a connection from outside your house into your house? Is drilling required? I mentioned before I have an old TV antenna tower next to my chimney. I've never thought of climbing that thing before but I'm sure it's possible. Can I just hook that antenna right into my UV-82? It's only 5 watts but wattage doesn't have to do with receiving right? I'm not worried about transmitting right now.

I just found a repeater list for a city nearby and am picking up some of those. It's fun listening to these old guys talk. One guy blamed democrats for the ice shrinking on Lake Michigan lol. Out of like 5 guys talking it got dead silent for a while after he said that and then apologized lol. In my mind I assume most HAM radio guys are republicans.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah that sounds pretty cool. Sucks that it's out of stock. Are there any other complete kits available out there?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jonny 290 posted:

Pay shipping and I've got a Heathkit HW-101, SB-110a, the power supply for either, and/or a Kenwood 520 for you. I started to dabble in tube rigs but then realized I didn't have the desk space. This is an honest offer btw, i'm moving in 1-3 months and just need to give them a good home. I know for a fact the SB110a works and got a shitload of points on a 6 meter contest with it, but any and all rigs may need some capacitor love at this point. I've got a 7300, a 9700 and an FT1000MP at this point, so I don't need them.

Oh wow. Those look really cool. Those are exactly what I'd be looking at but I'd be afraid that I wouldn't be able to give them the love they need. I know absolutely nothing about electronics or radios atm.

edit: maybe I should just grab one from you anyway. No better way to learn. I feel I'd be passing up on a great bit of history.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 12, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

charliebravo77 posted:

Pennywise I think we're pretty close (I'm just north of Chicago) so we can try and chat on 2m with your Baofeng once you get your license.

Yeah I'm in Kenosha. Probably not too far from you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yay I passed my Technician test! 35 out of 35. I've only done that once on a practice test and that was today.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That would be a good step. Right now I don't even know where to begin. I'm going to read/watch youtube videos on getting a beginner setup. Maybe setting up an antenna or something.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Someone mentioned this RTL-SDR Blog V3 R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO HF Bias Tee SMA Software Defined Radio with Dipole Antenna Kit

I really want to get into having an actual transceiver and everything but I figured since this was recommended it might be a good place to start. Does the antenna require drilling from inside of my house to outside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Do you still need a GMRS license if you have your technician license?